The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2004, 11:53 PM   #1
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting morgoths return?

tolkein does not mention anything abut mor goths return after war of the ring does morgoth return?
Old 01-31-2004, 07:49 AM   #2
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

I think I can honestly say "no".

Morgoth is gone, not dead, but gone for good. Like Sauron. No sequel, no comeback, no revenge. The forces of Morgoth and his kin have been extinguished, those that remain are dying. Morgoth was finished ages ago, literally.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, Kransha, Morgoth will return!

At the End, after ages have passed, Morgoth will return and so will all his orcs and servants. And they will fight the Ainur, Men, Elves and (?)Dwarves. This war will be the Dagor Dagorath and will result in Turin Turambar slaying Morgoth. And only after this shall Feänor announce of what materials he made the Silmarils.

That's what I know (or heard tell [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:17 AM   #4
camomile
Pile O'Bones

camomile has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to camomile
Pipe

Morgoth was banished to the void of space. he will not reture. he will spend the rest of eternity floating around in nothingness contenplating the meaning of his navle and wondering if that rash on his inner elbo is a bad thing.
-the oppinion of one mortal-
Old 01-31-2004, 06:58 PM   #5
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

In the HoME series, I don't remember exactly which book, Tolkien's notes state that one day, far distant in the future, Morgoth will sneak through the Door, when Earendil's watch is relaxed, and bring devastation into Arda. Earendil will chase him out of the upper sky, and on the fields of Valinor, a last battle shall be fought. Some accounts also state that Turin will deal Morgoth his death-stroke, with his black sword, but others say that Morgoth will be defeated by the Valar. In this conflict, all of Arda will be destroyed, thus enabling Morgoth to be destroyed (since Arda is his "Ring").

The Turin theory is hotly debated, and many say that Tolkien intended to scrap it. I'm sure that there is a thread floating about, perhaps in the Book forum, about the End of Days and Morgoth's Return.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 07:08 PM   #6
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

There was a thread with this exact title a short while ago here. The subject of Túrin is discussed here; and there are other threads concerning the Tolkienian apocalypse and Morgoth's return here and here. There are several other threads that you can find through the search function. Wonderful things, search engines.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

OH! *slaps self with Grond*
I forgot that! I do remember this tidbit now. *slaps self with Grond again*. I suppose I must've not considered that aspect. I thought the question meant "could Morgoth return any old time with all his power". The Morgoth/Turin final battle is an equivalent of Armageddon, after time has ended, the greatest warriors will return to duke it out one last time.

*slaps self with Grond one last time and crushes own head*

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:33 PM   #8
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was a concept largely inspired (once again) from Norse mythology, where Ragnorak (the final battle) was said to happen and seal the ending of the world, (all dead warriors waited in the halls of Valhalla, for the time when they unite with their gods to fight the giants etc)... ie the halls of waiting, and the concept that all would unite in the final battle of the world (Ainur, Elves, Men and all the Free Folk), that would purge it of all evil, but result in its destruction. I am not religious, and therefore know not how this is akin to Armageddon, but these religions shared a common root, so when likened to one, the other may be relevant. I wish to buy HoME, but the many volumes and high prices have in the past deterred me, I hope it is worth it?

Regards to all!

Osse

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:36 PM February 06, 2004: Message edited by: Osse ]
Old 02-07-2004, 11:09 PM   #9
Maverick
Pile O'Bones

Maverick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In what book does it talk about Morgoth's return.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:43 AM   #10
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

I think I actually read something about it in the Silmarillion. But it is very late and I could be thinking of Morgoth's Ring.

But yes, there is a passage somewhere that says that Morgoth and Sauron will return from the Void from which they were cast and do battle with the Valar, Elves, ect.

Try reading the HoME series, or even skim the indexes for Dagor Dagorath.

*this has been useless late-night dribble. thank you for listening.*
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 01:03 AM   #11
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hiya, scholars! I just joined, but I would like to make some contribution in this discussion.

I distinctly remembered Gandalf saying that "Other Evils there are that may come; for Sauron is himself but a servant or emissary." Then again, all evils in Arda had been attributed to the malice of Morgoth dissipated into the making of Arda.

Morgoth himself may not return at any time soon, but I guess he can probably persuade/possess some other megalomaniac to break the peace in Arda (via his psychic/spiritual link through the Void to his servants). But until Dagor Dagorath, I think he is still gonna be Earendil's jailbird.