The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2002, 02:59 PM   #1
Novlamothien
Haunting Spirit

Novlamothien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Where did the Hobbits Come from...

I would really like to know. I have not read all of Tolkien's works yet so I might have not seen something. I heared somewhere they were a branch of elves but I don't think that is correct. Can anyone help me on this?

Namarie
Old 11-17-2002, 03:55 PM   #2
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe that they are some sort of race of men, maybe a genetic throwback or something. When Tolkien began 'The Hobbit' I don't think he had any thought to link it to the Silm. for which he was constantly working on. With the way the book led and its consequent success he somehow had to 'fit' the race in and I think I read somewhere the were a sort of men.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:29 PM   #3
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Straight from the horse's mouth:

“The Hobbits are, of course, really meant to be a branch of the specifically human race (not Elves or Dwarves) – hence the two kinds can dwell together (as at Bree), and are called just the Big Folk and Little Folk. They are entirely without non-human powers, but are represented as being more in touch with 'nature' (the soil and other living things, plants and animals), and abnormally, for humans, free from ambition or greed of wealth. They are made small (little more than half human stature, but dwindling as the years pass) partly to exhibit the pettiness of man, plain unimaginative parochial man – though not with either the smallness or the savageness of Swift, and mostly to show up, in creatures of very small physical power, the amazing and unexpected heroism of ordinary men 'at a pinch'.” (Letter 131)
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 08:32 PM   #4
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"genetic throwback?" ooh, dems fighting words, Mattius. how do you know men aren't the throwback? just kidding. HOBBITS RULE!! oh yes, there were some hobbits with ambition and lust for power. sandyman the mill-owner and the sackville-bagginses are an example. then theres me-mainly an ambition to wipe out orcs, but thats different. hobbits seemingly could get along with elves better than men, IMHO, because elves disdained men and most hobbits would be suspicious of them-like how it's explained in FOTR (book), how hobbits could stealthily sneak away when the blundering big folk come near.

[ November 17, 2002: Message edited by: Demloth of Dol Amroth ]
Old 11-19-2002, 08:14 PM   #5
Novlamothien
Haunting Spirit

Novlamothien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks a lot. That helped. Mattius- where did you get your Letters? I have yet to see them in the stores. Oh, and does anybody have any ideas on how they originated? Like, did some branch of men start to slowly get shorter and shorter and became the "fathers of the fathers" of hobbits? or did it happen in one genaration. I don't think Tolkien touched much on this subject, so it is more of a personal thing.

Namarie