The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2006, 11:33 AM   #81
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
9th of May .. I thinkI am more excited than she is..... also very touched she asked me rather than a friend of her own age .....was well worth taking her to the LOTR exhibition whan it was on....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #82
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
9th of May .. I thinkI am more excited than she is..... also very touched she asked me rather than a friend of her own age .....was well worth taking her to the LOTR exhibition whan it was on....
You cannot surely be suggesting that this caused her to invite you?

No, seriously that's lovely! And you'll get to see the stars if its the first night! Eeek! Wardrobe crisis, eh?! What an excuse to go shopping too!
Old 12-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #83
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
You cannot surely be suggesting that this caused her to invite you?

No, seriously that's lovely! And you'll get to see the stars if its the first night! Eeek! Wardrobe crisis, eh?! What an excuse to go shopping too!
Well she thought it would mean most to me...which is so sweet .... and it would be be cynical to think that though her GF is also sending a contribution to the cost of a hotel that taking me rather than a friend means that there is a good cahnceI will pay for everything else ... ;

Oh I have the clothes .... it is just the opportunities tp wear them I lack - wonder if it will be too warm to wear my gold GHOST opera coat ..it is preview ..Paul did try for red carpet night but couldn't get tickets... that might have overloaded my circuits..

Old 12-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #84
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Well she thought it would mean most to me...which is so sweet .... and it would be be cynical to think that though her GF is also sending a contribution to the cost of a hotel that taking me rather than a friend means that there is a good cahnceI will pay for everything else ... ;

Oh I have the clothes .... it is just the opportunities tp wear them I lack - wonder if it will be too warm to wear my gold GHOST opera coat ..it is preview ..Paul did try for red carpet night but couldn't get tickets... that might have overloaded my circuits..
Yes that would be very cynical!

Of course, it would be worth buying 'everything else' to be one of the first. And I trust you will give us a full and honest review too...
Old 12-24-2006, 12:44 PM   #85
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Indeed.... though I am hoping there won't be a load of technical glitches since it it the first night... it was quite funny cos I was so excited and my GD is saying motherly type things such as "it is several months away..." Definitely acting my shoe size not my age...

Old 03-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #86
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I was sent this link by John Lewis (a UK department store chain, for those who don't know!) for a special offer/showing of the musical.
I can't go as I'm away on holiday but perhaps other Downers might be interested?
http://email.greenbee.com/cgi-bin2/D...Kp0Ohc0BYC50Ex
Old 03-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #87
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
I was sent this link by John Lewis (a UK department store chain, for those who don't know!) for a special offer/showing of the musical.
I can't go as I'm away on holiday but perhaps other Downers might be interested?
http://email.greenbee.com/cgi-bin2/D...Kp0Ohc0BYC50Ex
And it seems like the LotR Official Stage Companion will finally see the light in May http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-O...4675061&sr=8-1
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #88
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Here is to hoping that the London version learned from the mistakes of the Toronto version. I saw this a year ago and very good seats in the ninth row center. Was captivated by the way they turned the entire front of the theater into a set mimicing the woods. No complete review here--- BUT --- really bad idea to take a 1200 page book and try to do it in three hours on stage. It seemed so rushed and telescoped. And the actor who was Gandalf was horrid and no gravitas of any kind. It was like the role was handed to a high school kid who was trying to play a senior citizen merely with the aid of make-up. I liked what they did with Galadriel but not the orcs who were on some type of prostetic walkers. Boromir was pretty bad and Aragorn nearly invisible. Some of the special effects such as the big balrog puppet were great as were the Ents. But rather much of a let down.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:38 AM   #89
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nice footage of the show here. I'm actually impressed by the look of it

http://www.lotr.com/sights.php
Old 04-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #90
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Interview with Galadriel

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1794
Old 04-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #91
Yiriandur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem

Wow. I have to agree, I'm positively impressed by this. I didn't expect a lot from the musical, and this is a lot more than i expected already.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #92
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem

Hmmm. Hooom. Let's not be hasty.

I'm inclined to think that footage is from the Toronto production, not the London production, although I could be wrong.

In the footage, Gandalf looks very much like Brent Carver, who played Gandalf (with surprisingly disappointing results, as Carver is an esteemed actor) in Toronto. Galadriel also appears to have the Toronto hairdo rather than the one in the design sketch given in davem's other link.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #93
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Interview with Galadriel
Blimey o'Reilly. What *is* she wearing?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #94
davem
Illustrious Ulair

More - with lots of pix

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1773
Old 05-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #95
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Really excited now!!!!

Less than 2 days to go .. and I have to say ..Legolas looks rather more as I envisigaed him pre - film... (not that Orli looked bad.. just I never imagined Legolas as a platinum blonde...). Hotel is booked.. chosen a train .. just need to fnd my posh frock

Old 05-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #96
davem
Illustrious Ulair

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107942.html

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/t...cle2525092.ece

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rtainment/home

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6409763.stm
Old 05-10-2007, 05:52 AM   #97
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I will give my review tomorrow - have to get to work .. but it was fantastic ... few very minor quibbles are quite unterstandable in context of the form. I thought it was an intelligent adaptation and the special effects showed that "smoke and mirrors" can be more effective than CGI..... the balrog aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 05-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #98
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
A musical eh? What a joke, I fail to see what that can contribute. A graphic novel maybe, a stand-up comedy routine possibly, a brand of poison feasibly but a song-and-dance crapfest? Not on your life. It makes a mockery of Tolkien's work and these clowns should be driven into the desert and left with the vultures. Bunch of lowlife charlatans. Yes, I said crapfest and whoever criticised me for it will have to live with it because I don't plan on removing what I said you no-talent commoner! That is just how much i am opposed to a musical based on LOTR. Don't you see? They are laughing at us! At all of us! They think we're a bunch of dorks and rubes! A bunch of idiots who'll shell out to see a homoerotic display of deviance involving lycra and a candlelit dinner between Sam and Frodo. You, cowardly complainer, may be content to prostitute your dignity but some of us are more reserved. SOME of us don't buy into everything with The Lord of The Rings plastered all over it, some of us have backbone and common sense and realise what works and what should be taken out back and shot in the base of the spine. Do you? Maybe, maybe not but understand that this musical nonsense irritates me terribly and if I offended you then you need to grow up. What are you? A child? Want braids sweetheart? A nice pink dress? "Oh! The big man said a bad word! Run for the hills!" Well I'm sorry but I refuse to be pleasant about the bastardization of Tolkien. it's low and degenerate and all self-respecting fans will boycott this for the pompous excrement it is.

Last edited by Gothbogg the Ripper; 05-12-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Gothbogg the Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #99
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Mithalwen,

I'll be interested to hear your reaction.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:33 PM   #100
davem
Illustrious Ulair

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...1/nmusic11.xml
Old 05-12-2007, 05:21 AM   #101
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Kath are you sure you want to read this now?

It is hard to know where to start in describing an evening of sensory overload and I am finding it true that the first step is the hardest to make. I haven't been to a musical for many years (and that was the relatively straight forward "Me and my girl" so I am probably a bit out of touch with the developments technologically - though I am aware of "Miss Saigon"'s helicopter and The flying of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", but I was awestruck by the set and the special effects. The proscenium arch seemed to be covered in tree roots (like the musical logo) and with changing lighting this served to represent the rural idyll of the Shire, the other worldiness of Lothlorien and the more menacing environments.

Most of the stage was taken up with an incredibly versatile turntable stage that had steps that rose and fell as relentlessly as an Escher drawing and combined with some clever choreography and music helped to create a sense of journey much more effectively than in the film (FOTR particularly).

I don't get to the theatre as much as I'd like and this was a brilliant reminder of how much more engaging it is to be at a live show than sitting, gawping in a multiplex surrounded by people who can't last a couple of hours without food (what is worse the constant chomp of popcorn or the shorter strain on the ear but lingering assault on the olefactory system of the burger? A dinky bottle of champagne at the interval was sustaining and far more civilised (and compared to what they charge for soft drinks at my local cinema, not actually that extravagant!). But I digress.

Although we took our seats promptly there were already hobbits wandering around the auditorium gossiping and bickering. They were rather more like Tolkien's own descriptions and pictures of Bilbo than the film creations - fatter of tummy, curlier of hair, rosier of cheek. I am not a huge hobbit fan but I found them enchanting. One thing they weren't were "halflings" - and were not referred to as such. They were noticeably short but not half sized compared to the elves and humans. Gimli may have been shorter and had a rather squeaky voice. I think the extreme physicality of the production meant that maximising the height difference would have been impossible. The fight sequences were extremely balletic/ acrobatic and I can't imagine the extremely lanky managing them elegantly. Nevertheless the hobbits were distinct as small people.

They were also distinctly rustic - more West Country than Warwickshire - and this included Frodo, Merry and Pippin who were not noticeably higher class than Sam (thought Sam remained the Gardener). I think that was fair enough - to have class distinctions as well as the many racial one would have muddied the waters unnecessarily. However it was a bit of a shock to hear Frodo sounding like he came from Zummmerzet.

Similarly it was a surprise that the wandering elves appeared like an angelic host - however again if you have humans playing non humans you have to ring the changes somehow and I think it was fine in context .

TBC

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-12-2007 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #102
davem
Illustrious Ulair

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/theatre/d...076689,00.html
Old 06-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #103
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Can any of you give me information on where and how to order tickets for the musical - and how difficult it is to get them? I would love to catch this in London before or after Oxonmoot in September!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #104
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Booking info here: http://www.lotr.com/prices.php

Be careful what seat you get - those in the front 2 rows need to watch out for blood spatter & mangled limbs:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6707791.stm
Old 06-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #105
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

Esty, I have always found that the easiest way to book tickets for London shows is through one of the on-line booking agencies (for example, See, which is linked to in the link that davem provided). You have to pay a small surcharge, but its usually straightforward, painless and quick. You can also often click on the map of the theatre to see where the seats on offer are.

It's worth shopping around, though (I usually simply Google something like "London tickets"). Prices can vary (due to the variable booking fee) and, if one agency doesn't have tickets on the day you want, others still may.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:45 AM   #106
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks for the information! Yes, if I'm going to plan a trip well in advance, I will order tickets in advance to be sure I get them for the day I want to have them. What I haven't been able to find is a map of the theatre to see where the stalls, dress circle, upper circle, etc. are located and which is best for seeing. Those of you who have been there, what's best? I'm not going to fuss over a few pounds difference - it's usually worth it to get closer to the experience (except for the blood spatter, of course! ). I want to be able to see and hear everything.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 06-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #107
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Deviants....

I must say to counter some of the negative comments this musical has received, that I found it to be fantastic. However one must approach it with an open mind remembering that this is another medium, the artwork portrayed by various artists deviates from the descriptions Tolkien gives in his work, the BBC Radio play deviated from the book, the films of both Baksi and Jackson also deviated from the book, the musical is just another interpretation. I say all this as a reader of Tolkiens works for over forty years, I am no film fan (though I enjoyed them greatly), nor am I overly fond of Everything with Lord of the Rings plastered all over it, but I pronounce judgement once I have experienced the offending articles and not by denouncing without knowledge of the said thing. I can understand peoples apprehension of something that says Musical after it, and that this can bring to bear preconceived ideas on the subject, but this is the same as Germaine Greer saying she hates The Lord of the Rings without reading it.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #108
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Just bought the Official Stage Companion in my local Waterstones. All looks very impressive....
Old 06-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #109
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Is there anyone here who both saw the play in Toronto and the current one in London? I did see the one in Toronto and did not like it very much and actually found much of it to be something close to a laughable satire. Are there noticable differences in this production?
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #110
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc
I must say to counter some of the negative comments this musical has received, that I found it to be fantastic. However one must approach it with an open mind remembering that this is another medium, the artwork portrayed by various artists deviates from the descriptions Tolkien gives in his work, the BBC Radio play deviated from the book, the films of both Baksi and Jackson also deviated from the book, the musical is just another interpretation. I say all this as a reader of Tolkiens works for over forty years, I am no film fan (though I enjoyed them greatly), nor am I overly fond of Everything with Lord of the Rings plastered all over it, but I pronounce judgement once I have experienced the offending articles and not by denouncing without knowledge of the said thing. I can understand peoples apprehension of something that says Musical after it, and that this can bring to bear preconceived ideas on the subject, but this is the same as Germaine Greer saying she hates The Lord of the Rings without reading it.
So, can I assume by this that it was you who left me that message?
Old 06-09-2007, 12:26 AM   #111
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sorry Gothbog I don't know what message, I always leave my name on everything I write, have you had a Negrep?, if so it wasn't me.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:48 AM   #112
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Halfir over on the Plaza pointed me toward this review by Angie of Daeron's Books

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/gig-re...icleid=2941191

I'd like to go see the thing. I've been very inpressed by the pictures & video clips I've seen, & am eagerly awaiting the recording.

That said, in my heart I'd have preferred something smaller, which could tour. I have a yearning for something along the lines of the Mystery Plays.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #113
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks for sharing that review, davem! I am in the process of convincing someone else to join me for Oxonmoot and the musical, and this should help! (No, I won't divulge a name yet - when all is decided, that person can announce it h/self. )
Old 06-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #114
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Those of you who have been there, what's best? I'm not going to fuss over a few pounds difference - it's usually worth it to get closer to the experience (except for the blood spatter, of course! ). I want to be able to see and hear everything.

I sat in the stalls and so we had hobbits wandering around at the beginning catching fireflies and orcs rushing around later on - youreally are in the thick of it down there. Our tickets were Ł50 per skull but sinceI wasn't paying I don't know if that was less because it was preview or more becasue it was first night. I was in the centre of the centre bloc of stalls seats. I'll check the ticket if that would help.

You certainly get the full impact of the SEF at that level - the balrog was incredible - far scarier than the film - you literally feel the heat ! - but it is not a huge theatre and I know Kath who was higher up still enjoyed it - and also couldn't tell how they made Frodo disappear. And it is not a barn of a theatre. Much more intimate than I expected.

I think they have lost half an hour and Eowyn from the TOronto show.

Rohan and Gondor and Theoden and Denethor are amalgamated in to the Lands of Men and its Steward. Yes I know some of you might have spat your coffee at that and I know it is against what Tolkien wanted for a film but it does make sense - otherwise youahve two threatened lands with rulers under a malign influence who have just lost their sons at the moment of appearance - and in a 3hr production something has to give. I cetainly found this condensing more respectful and true to the spirit than some of Jackson's changes.

And there is much that the musical has retained that the film lost... Gildor (for some reason female and called Elranien (wandering elf), Glorfindel - also a girl and horseless (the Black riders wer amazing but htere is a limit ), the scouring of the Shire. Even Bomabadil gets a mention.
The only thing I found slightly bizarre and would change is the fact that the Elves seem to use sign language when talking to mortals as if they are incapable of understanding speech but I guess youdid have to make the elves "different" - while like enough for the Aragorn / Arwen thing to work. I would also have given Elrond's costume less "bling" - but again when you consider some of what they made poor darling Hugo wear in the films ....

I liked the fact that Legolas was far less of a pretty boy (and dark haired!), Boromir sounded extremely Scottish and his horn was very impressive. I also liked how they used things that we know happened but didn't see in the books to make sense of the hobbits surviving to rivendell against the odds (the activity of the Rangers of the North and Gildor alerting the wandering companies).

While they didn't use any of Tolkien's poems the songs were clearly inspired by them - the road going on noticably. I also think they handled the balance between light and dark very well, and though the scary bits were scary they were either followed by and interval (Balrog) or a lighter moment. For this reason, I would have thought it would be an excellent thing to take children too if you wanted them to get a taste of the power of a live show. Not very tiny ones and maybe to a matinee but I would reckon it far less potentially disturbing than the films.

Finally I must mention Gollum. Deagol swims down on to grasp the ring and gollum climbs down a cliff face head first - it is stunning.

..I really want to go again.

PS I found out that my actor cousin auditioned for Frodo in Toronto but was too tall....

Old 06-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #115
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh and Esty - you may find that you can get a deal on hotel + tickets if you need accommodation as well.

I was very glad we had booked a hotel round hte corner when my beloved god daughter (who had given me and old fashioned look when I asked if she had the tickets on the train) realised she had left them in her over-night bag....

Old 06-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #116
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

There is a review on Front Row today

Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #117
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

This was advertised in the paper today ..

And potentially offers a very good deal for out of towners who want to see the show and stay in town:

http://www.visittheatre.com/booking/...ookingver2.asp