The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
Did Buckland resist the ruffians like Tookland ?

We know from "The Scouring of the Shire" that the Tooks resisted Sharkey's ruffians, effectively turning the Tookland into a "no go area" for them.

Would Buckland have resisted in the same way ? The only piece of information we have is Gandalf's statement that the 4 returning hobbits "might even have more trouble at the Buckland Gate than they think".
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Lastande Took
Animated Skeleton

Lastande Took has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I honestly don't know. I'd like to think the Brandybucks resisted, but if 'Sharkey' entered the Shire through Buckland, they wouln't have had much warning.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:20 AM   #3
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I do believe that at the beginning of the chapter The Scouring of the Shire Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin entered into Buckland, or at least to the Brandywine Bride, which is thereabouts. The gate key was kept by none other than Bill Ferny. The Chief already had his authority there, so I would think that if Buckland did put up a fight that they were not successful. Pippin went out to get hobbits from the Great Smials to fight, but Merry stayed in Bywater from the time they arrived there to the time that the Battle of Bywater ended.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Pippin went out to get hobbits from the Great Smials to fight, but Merry stayed in Bywater from the time they arrived there to the time that the Battle of Bywater ended.
Although, to be fair, Brandy Hall was hardly the fourteen miles from Bywater that Tookland was. Merry couldn't have gotten reinforcements if he tried, and at any rate he ended up making the battle plans so he was needed at Bywater.

Looking at the Shire map, the answer to the question is fairly ambiguous. Yes, the ruffians held the bridge, but Buckland is inherently more defensible than the rest of the Shire, especially if (with the tobacco ties) all the Ruffians entered from the Southfarthing rather than the east. They're sandwiched right in between the Brandywine and the High Hay leading to the Old Forest.

So it's very hard to say. Perhaps some of the smaller homesteads had ruffian trouble, but I think if something disastrous happened to Brandy Hall itself (which was about as large as the Great Smials) it would have been recorded.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well, according to the Redbook of Westmarch, the Buckland Hobbits' Front stopped bickering long enough with the Hobbits' Front of Buckland to form the Buckland Defensive League, which is not to be confused with the Defensive League of Buckland, as there were only two members in that group at the time. And honestly, one can't put up much of a defense with two Hobbits.

In any case, Buckland did not exist during the Scouring of the Shire, because Tolkien never mentioned it.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
Although, to be fair, Brandy Hall was hardly the fourteen miles from Bywater that Tookland was. Merry couldn't have gotten reinforcements if he tried, and at any rate he ended up making the battle plans so he was needed at Bywater.
Very good point, Mnemo. I overlooked that slightly. I should think that Merry might have mentioned his relatives sometime after they got back to the Shire, though. You usually care about your relatives and home somewhat. . .
The four main hobbits did think about going back to Crickhollow before they realised all of the trouble that the Shire was in. Would that mean that Crickhollow was relatively safe from ruffians?

Of course, if Buckland did have ruffians they would be cornered, wouldn't they? They had the Hedge and the Old Forest on one side, a (getting contaminated) river on the other. How would they get supplies in a ruffian attack? Same question goes for Tuckborough. But I digress.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
Lastande Took
Animated Skeleton

Lastande Took has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

My opinion is that the Brandybucks would have resisted as best they could, but judging from the fact that Men held the gate I'd say they were defeated. It's very possible a few groups managed to hold out - Buckland is a defendable place as has been pointed out.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
Ghazi
Haunting Spirit

Ghazi has just left Hobbiton.
Buckland had a gate south of the road near the Brandywine Bridge and was also protected by the Brandywine River along with the Hedge so it is likely that they held out against the ruffians too.
Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote