The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
"dark under the stars when it was fearless"?

Quote:
Eldest, that’s what I am. Mark my words, my friends: Tom was here before the river and the trees; Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn. He made paths before the Big People, and saw the little People arriving. He was here before the Kings and the graves and the Barrow-wights. When the Elves passed westward, Tom was here already, before the seas were bent. He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside.’
The bold is mine. This part of the text has puzzled me for many years. Can anyone tell me, exactly when was the dark under the stars fearless? Did not Morgoth enter Arda as soon as it was made?
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
before the Lamps?
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye Speculation...

Perhaps before Morgoth sent forth his hatred and malice and polluted the darkness into something that came to be feared?
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:06 PM   #4
Gilwen
Pile O'Bones

Gilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ugh. I don't actually own a copy of the Silm ( *sniff, sniff* ; I get it from the library), so I can't look this up, but doesn't it say something about the darkness growing evil after Orome finds the Eldar ?
Old 04-27-2004, 03:36 AM   #5
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
According to the Sil, when the Valar first created Arda and lived in it, "The First War began before Arda was full-shaped, and ere yet there was anything that grew or walked upon earth; and for long Melkor had the upper hand."
Subsequently Arda was lit by the Lamps of Aule and Yavanna. Then Melkor destroyed the lamps and marred Arda, and the Valar withdrew to Valinor. "But as the ages drew on to the hour appointed by Iluvatar for the coming of the Firstborn, Middle-Earth lay in a twilight beneath the stars that Varda had wrought....and in the darkness Melkor dwelt, and still often walked abroad, in many shapes of power and fear..."
Old 04-27-2004, 04:49 AM   #6
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Perhasp, since Melkor HQ was way up North, Bombadil's gigantic forest was spared from his evil, and so it seemed safe? And then when he returend to Middle-earth it was as if he'd really, truely, made his presence known in that part fo the world for the first time?

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:59 AM   #7
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Maybe. But it's funny, he talks about the first acorn and the first raindrop, but the other events he refers are mostly fairly recent in the scheme of things, from the end of the First Age onwards. And the Dark Lord he refers to, was it Morgoth or Sauron? The hobbits would naturally assume Sauron, they would not have heard of Morgoth at that point, and Bombadil would know that. So this made me wonder, is this fearless dark the period after Morgoth was cast down and before Sauron re-emerged as a force of evil?
Another possibility is the period where Morgoth was held captive in Valinor.