The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2002, 01:54 PM   #81
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Correct, zifnab - the second sentence is it! Now you get to try!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 02:17 PM   #82
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Thanks Esty. I'm fairly new to this type of 'quoting' so bear with me if it's not up to par.

Quote:
‘No’, thought Arwen willing, ‘He should not have done it. He has a desire to not sell numerous race horses.
[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: zifnab ]
Old 10-10-2002, 02:27 PM   #83
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Nice one, zifnab! Here's the original:
Quote:
'Yes,' said Strider reluctantly, 'you had better do that. I am afraid we shall have to try to get one pony at least.'
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-10-2002, 02:29 PM   #84
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's right Esty! Good job! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 02:38 PM   #85
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Let's see if you can figure this one out:
Quote:
When I've been awake a long time, hot sand under the feet is different from drought under crisp carrots.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:27 PM   #86
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Though I've not consulted the book, it sounds like someone(Sam?) saying, "When I'm napping, cold water in the face is the same as...a flood of limp potatos?

The last part doesn't seem quite right, though
Old 10-11-2002, 12:18 AM   #87
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

You're thinking in the right direction, Susan; the 'limp potatoes' tickle me! Keep going and you'll find it.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:22 AM   #88
Childlike Empress
Wight

Childlike Empress has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Can we have a hintlet, please? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Childlike Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 04:47 AM   #89
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Susan's whole post was one great hint, heh

it's Sam of course:

Quote:
But if you're short of sleep cold water on the neck's like rain on a wilted lettuce
but i'll gladly pass the right to proceed to Susan, for she got it to be honest, I just looked up the exact quote

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 07:08 AM   #90
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

OK then, Susan - I'm looking forward to what you come up with!
Old 10-11-2002, 10:47 PM   #91
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Thanks, HI [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Well he knows the moods of the earth, as do all who fly through the air
[ October 12, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 10-12-2002, 12:55 AM   #92
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Bard?

Quote:
They do not understand war above ground, whatever they may know of battle in the mines

Old 10-12-2002, 01:29 AM   #93
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Good guess! But not even close [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2002, 01:14 AM   #94
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Susan, will you give us a clue, please, or narrow down the scope of the search? I'm looking through LotR, but haven't located that quote yet.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:28 AM   #95
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

May it be description of Morgoth's servants from Sil:

Quote:
Water all his servants shunned, and to the sea none would willingly go nigh, save in dire need
water as opposite to both earth an air? "Dire need" as opposite to "mood"

...?

Old 10-15-2002, 08:09 AM   #96
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

It's in Fellowship
Old 10-15-2002, 01:26 PM   #97
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Goldberry? Is the quote about Tom Bombadil?
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 12:30 AM   #98
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Close, but no cigar [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

edit: What quote were you thinking of?

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 10-16-2002, 07:40 AM   #99
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I think I found it; Tom Bombadil speaking of himself:
Quote:
'I am no weather-master,' he said; 'nor is aught that goes on two legs.'
I certainly hope that's right - this has had me puzzled (and searching) for days!
Old 10-16-2002, 08:15 AM   #100
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

You got it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2002, 12:49 AM   #101
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

wow, Susan, nice little cracker it was [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2002, 01:23 AM   #102
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Here's a new one:
Quote:
You sit under a wonderful plain, but it is faintly light out of the mountain behind my head, and I am sure there is darkness before you, you see.
Have fun!
Old 10-17-2002, 02:06 AM   #103
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

that's Faramir to Eowyn in Houses of healing:

Quote:
I stand upon some dreadful brink, and it is utterly dark in the abyss before my feet, but whether there is any light behind me I cannot tell

Old 10-17-2002, 03:03 AM   #104
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Right quote, HI, wrong person - look again! (That was fast, by the way!)
Old 10-17-2002, 03:09 AM   #105
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

em, ur, yes, it's other way round [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] , that's Eowyn to Faramir

Old 10-17-2002, 03:17 AM   #106
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Now you have it - you're next!
Old 10-17-2002, 03:51 AM   #107
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

well:

Quote:
He has undone it as he was commanded and stayed as he was displeased

Old 10-22-2002, 05:59 AM   #108
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I'm searching, HI, but have found nothing so far. Can you give a little hint please?
Old 10-22-2002, 06:14 AM   #109
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

The tense is reversed as well. Person quoted speaks about some intended future actions [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2002, 11:46 PM   #110
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

FoTR

Old 10-25-2002, 07:39 AM   #111
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I am still searching, HI - one more clue, please - is it said in the first or second person?

[ October 25, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
Old 10-25-2002, 05:29 PM   #112
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Is it Frodo thinking about Lobelia?
Quote:
She must have thought of something really nasty, and have come back again to say it.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:59 AM   #113
Laivine
Wight

Laivine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Is it Sam in the house of Elrond or something? Well, it probably isn't, but I had to guess [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2002, 11:51 PM   #114
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Welcome to the Downs Laivine [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

First person, Estelyn

Old 10-28-2002, 12:12 AM   #115
Childlike Empress
Wight

Childlike Empress has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sounds like "I will do as I wish and leave when I am satisfied" but I can't think who'd say something like that. Bill Ferny?
Childlike Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 12:44 AM   #116
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Childlike Empress, quote you give sounds almost as it is in the book, though person is wrong

Old 10-28-2002, 09:02 AM   #117
Laivine
Wight

Laivine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Welcome to the Downs Laivine
Thank you HerenIstarion [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2002, 12:45 AM   #118
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

any time [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2002, 07:15 AM   #119
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

...tossing a guess into the ring - Gandalf?
Old 10-30-2002, 08:06 AM   #120
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Hotter than ever. Final hint - if nobody gets it after this, I'll proclaim myself victorious [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf was whom person (mis)quoted was addressing