The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-22-2002, 09:52 AM   #1
charly
Haunting Spirit

charly has just left Hobbiton.
Sting This might sound like a weird thought...

...but it came to me a while a go, and I kept on wondering. So, hereīs the thing:
itīs after the war of the ring. Aragorn is king and lives happpily ever after... but thereīs a problem. A big one. It turns out Arwen can not have children. Every time it seems sheīs pregnant she looses the baby very early. Aragorn has to decide. If he doesnīt have a son, Elendilīs line will dissapear from ME forever, he will either have to adopt an heir, or his name will be forgotten. Or he abadoms (sp?) Arwen and marries for the second time. A young ,fertile princess, maybe Eomerīs daughter or something.DO YOU THINK HE COULD HAVE DONE IT???? I just donīt know what to think.

Thereīs to much evidence in history that men choose divorces instead of their loves. Most of all, Napoleon and Josephine. I consider it the greatest lovestory in history. The two were linked together, loved each other dearly but when it tourned out Josephine was infertile ,he divorced her. He never stopped loving her, but he divorced her in favour of an heir.

So what would have happend with Aragorn and Arwen?? This question might sound cruel and unbeliveable, but imagine it... I wonder what you think.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:58 AM   #2
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

The appendices state with clarity that Elessar and Arwen had at least one son. The heir was Ecthelion? Something like that. However, if you're proposing a what if...

The character of Aragorn would have disallowed the kind of choices that King Henry VIII and others in history made. That's just the way Tolkien drew him. IF, and I say IF he had had no heirs, he would probably have made the eldest son or daughter of Faramir and Eowyn his heir.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:21 AM   #3
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think Aragorn would abandon Arwen for any reason after all they've been through. He loved her from the first time he saw her.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:06 PM   #4
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It says in Appendix A in the summary of the tale of Arwen and Aragorn, that after Aragorn dies, Arwen says farewell to her SON AND DAUGHTERS before she leaves for Lorien, therefore they had children.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:54 PM   #5
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

That would be way too out of character for Aragorn to do that. Plus, I don't think Tolkien wanted to create characters as "duplicates,"(meaning the duplication of their morals) so to speak, of anyone especially unsavory people from world history like Henry VIII.

Did that make any sense???
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 04:07 PM   #6
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

I agree with what littlemanpoet said. That's not how his character was written. Aragorn would not have left Arwen, especially not after she gave up her immortality for him. It would have been bad enough to leave a human woman, who had always been mortal. but Arwen made a great sacrifice to be with the man she loved, and I don't think he would have left her after that.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:18 PM   #7
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Quote:
The heir was Ecthelion? Something like that.
The heir was named Eldarion. One other thing: is it really even possible for an Elf to be barren? Elves all have perfect bodies, so....