Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2005, 02:17 PM   #161
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
phantom would you mind waiting til I get my post up? I was planning on running into you and informing you of Alli's disappearance but I have to get hold of what I wrote first. It'll be up - 3 hours from now for definite, that ok?
Old 12-06-2005, 02:45 PM   #162
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
I was planning on running into you and informing you of Alli's disappearance
Perfect. Just so long as you find me up in the main RCA office.

And make sure and don't say what happened to her out loud. Whisper it to Mardil so none of the execs hear it. I don't want the news to reach the RCA President until after he and I have signed our contract. Trust me- it'll work out beautifully.

When I get home after work tonight I will put into action the plan that will wiggle us out of our RCA contract- and then we'll go and save Fea.

Since all three of us ran into serious time constraints these past couple days, we might have to take the reality tv people along with us and just get rid of them during the next week's challenge.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:12 PM   #163
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Sounds good guys. I've posted as much as I can for now. When you save Alli, make sure she hasn't found out the rest of the balrog's story. I'd like Roggie of Morgoth to be one of my random carry-along characters. He'll show up from now on at very unexpected times. He'll work well for my other side-plot that you guys will understand soon enough. And if Mardil somehow injures him or at least makes him really mad before taking Alli away with him (she won't want to leave, just so you know), all the better.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:25 PM   #164
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
OK I'm done! Take it away phantom. Oh and Fea I stole one of Alli's gloves because I couldn't think of how else I'd know she'd gone down the hole, apologies!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:12 PM   #165
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Post edited to bring Panakeia to the RCA building. Let's go rescue Alli!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:46 PM   #166
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

I'll be starting work on the mother of all posts as soon as I do a couple more things. Expect it around midnight EST.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #167
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
And here I thought we were testing characters... not the ability of their writers to add an extra few hours in the day to accomodate extra things that they had thought they'd had worked out. I'm not Herculean, LMP.
Do you want me to go easy on you?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #168
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A note on orc transformations

As I implied earlier, if you get behind the wheel of a car in Mordor, you turn into an orc. It's part of the Anakronism Dweomer. Once you step out of the vehicle, you will turn back into yourself in about a minute's time. Please work this into all of your future posts.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:21 PM   #169
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Do you want me to go easy on you?
If I thought you'd have something slightly more than "no sympathy", I'd say "Not easy, but maybe, just for this week, a little easier."

No matter though... the phantom already agreed to help (thanks yet again) and Kath and Celuien enthusiastically joined the cause. No need for you to change anything. It's been taken care of.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:28 PM   #170
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
If I thought you'd have something slightly more than "no sympathy", I'd say "Not easy, but maybe, just for this week, a little easier."
It won't work that way. Yes or no?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:32 PM   #171
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
It won't work that way. Yes or no?
Don't bother. I'll figure it out myself.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:44 PM   #172
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Good choice.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:45 AM   #173
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Okay, Fea, Kath, and Celuien, I've done my part.

Rehash the rescue from your point of view if you have time, but at least make sure and write yourself (and me) into Edge-Where.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:17 AM   #174
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Alrighty. We are now in Edge-Where.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:33 AM   #175
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Oh my... you guys sedated Alli?!? How could you? Looks like Mardil's not going to be viewed as a dashing chivalrous hero any time soon... 'least not by Alli.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #176
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Oh my... you guys sedated Alli?!? How could you? Looks like Mardil's not going to be viewed as a dashing chivalrous hero any time soon... 'least not by Alli.
Hehe, it looks that way. I've edited my narrative of the ride to account for the change in situation.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:26 PM   #177
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Sub-thread of Fantastic Ideas

The phantom's cold virus. On my "hey, that's amusing and clever" scale, it gets an 8.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #178
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Wilhelmina has met up with the group of Mardil and Co; that is my last post for this week's Challenge.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:56 PM   #179
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I'm done for this Challenge also. Alli will come to for the next set of instructions.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #180
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I'd like to post, but I don't have time. But Mardil's in Edge-Where, so I won't worry about it.

Fea- I guess we'll have to wait until the beginning of the next challenge for our characters to have it out with each other. It's going to be fun screaming at each other.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:30 PM   #181
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Fea- I guess we'll have to wait until the beginning of the next challenge for our characters to have it out with each other. It's going to be fun screaming at each other.
Yes... yes it is. Do you want to work together on that post via PM before we post it up or do you want to just work off each other in short posts?

And we never got to do the Britney thing. Should we have her show back up somewhere down the line to finish off that bit of plot?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:01 PM   #182
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
And we never got to do the Britney thing. Should we have her show back up somewhere down the line to finish off that bit of plot?
Only if it is convenient. If this last round is any indication, things are going to be plenty difficult without us adding a bunch to the mix.
Quote:
Do you want to work together on that post via PM before we post it up or do you want to just work off each other in short posts?
I had a little idea yesterday of how we could orchestrate the inevitable fireworks. I'll pm you with the suggestion.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #183
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I had a little idea yesterday of how we could orchestrate the inevitable fireworks. I'll pm you with the suggestion.
I await it eagerly.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:44 PM   #184
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
You guys worked the "RCA" in directions I hadn't foreseen. I had planned the MDC&R setting for the star studdedness, so you'll get another chance.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:47 PM   #185
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
If this last round is any indication, things are going to be plenty difficult without us adding a bunch to the mix.
The moderator is currently not disposed toward doing interventions.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:42 PM   #186
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

We're going to let Night be from now until Thursday, when I put up the next post, which will include the instructions for the next test.

Durelin, post as often or seldom as you like from now until then. If you have any questions, please ask.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 12-08-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:46 PM   #187
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sub-Thread #1: Great Lines (as in hilarious)

I didn't bother to calculate scores this time. Feel free if you like.

posts 37 - 58

10 rotfl
9 lmao
8 uncontrollable giggling
7 burst out laughing
6 good laugh
---------------------
"Native Mordorian, please," the Orc simpered. - Guy~7
----------------------
Fléin asked about the menu, and was told to choose from "a burger, large, medium or small, either cat, fish, lemming, possum, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel or any other furry animal, with optional purple ketchup, or else a bag, large, medium or small, of candy, flies, liquorice, bees, or slugs. There's also a choice of lima beans, chocolate, chewing gum or fruitcake, - Guy~6 LMP says: "Eeeewwwwww!"

"Medium lemmingburger, please, and hold the purple ketchup," he replied. -Guy~6
--------------
"Aw, sorry 'bout that hom- uh, Mardil. Heh- that's a tight name, man- Maarrrdiiilll! S'got a ring to it, ya know. Maaarrrdiiiillll!! Ha ha ha!" Mardil shook his head. He was beginning to regret switching seats. Oblivious to Mardil's annoyance, the man continued. "Mardil... Let's go chill with Mardil! Ya can't hold still with Mardil! Let's pop some pills with Mardil! Yeah, ha ha! Your name'll be real useful when we start bustin' out with some rhymes! "

"Oh, goodie," said Mardil. - the phantom~7
-------------
"I'm suing!" screamed the bleeding lawyer in front of the van - the phantom~6
--------------
Before she could say a word, he had showed her an official looking document with a lot of fine print and an impressive looking signature with a rather large number of loops and squiggles that seemed to spell out "Anakron" or at least "Anakin"... or perhaps it said "A Napkin"? - Feanor~6
------------
Madonnarwen -Feanor~7
-------------
"Where? Where?" simpered Karís, Double Dragon signs dancing in his eyes. - Encaitare~7
-------------
Spam, bacon, sausage, and spam, 1 troll, 25 maggots
Spam, egg, spam, spam, bacon, and spam, 1 troll, 50 maggots
Spam, sausage, spam, spam, bacon, spam, tomato and spam, 2 trolls - Celuien~8
------------
Troubled dreams filled her mind. She was in a dark tunnel, her feet trapped in a soggy floor of melting spam. - Celuien~6
------------
There were also a number of police officers, but they appeared quite useless, as all they did was say, "What's all this, then?" - Encaitare~6
-----------
"Bruv? I am Fléin, Fréin's son of the Orocarni. I am no brother of thine," Fléin accidentally slipped into Jamesian English. - Guy~6
---------------
The rest of the walk passed without major incidence, unless you wished to count a dog jumping onto him, tearing off part of his beard and running off on its tartan-clad, furry little way. - Guy~6
---------------
“Ah, playwrights. ’Tis a sorry state indeed, that most of thy kind live their fruitful lives unbeknownst to most eyes and ears, until their death bed doth bring them fame.” - Durelin~6
---------------
The troll who had voiced the question immediately snapped back at his comrade. “No, thou art a beslubbering pottle-deep coxcomb, and thoust would not know a pillow from a hedgerow!” - Durelin~6 - LMP says: "Wow!"
------------------------
The new Trollonius stopped to look at his fellow troll. “What on earth are you gibbering about?” -Durelin~7
---------------------
Trollonius pushed Trollrick off of him, causing the latter to land on the litter (Valde later tried to say that five times faster) - Durelin~7
Old 12-08-2005, 01:22 AM   #188
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This game is an excellent read! Kudos to all of you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just bringing this forward:

A few reminders:
  • Please remove your signature from EVERY post to the RPG thread - including SAVES

• Don't use smileys in your RPG posts or icons - e.g., etc.

• Don't use the 'Reason for Editing' function on your RPG posts. If it's critical that other players know that you've changed something, then put a post on the Discussion thread about your edit.

• No OOC (out of character comments) on the RPG thread - use the Discussion thread.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:50 AM   #189
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Subthread #1 Great Lines

10 rotfl
9 lmao
8 uncontrollable giggling
7 burst out laughing
6 good laugh

-------------
The record company's studios and headquarters are all located just down the Northern Line from Edge-Where- near Entish Town. - The Phantom ~ 7
-------------
And that man looked too mopey, like one of those emo kids... what was his name? Waldo, or something like that..." - Encaitare ~ 8

Both brilliant lines.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #190
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Oop!

I goofed. I meant Thursday, not Friday. Somehow I had it in my head that yesterday was Thursday. Sorry.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #191
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Valde Delego would like to humbly implore that the Grand Anakronist get his days straight in order that he not lose any more points...
Old 12-08-2005, 05:18 PM   #192
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

A new challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Anakronist
As I implied earlier, if you get behind the wheel of a car in Mordor, you turn into an orc. It's part of the Anakronism Dweomer. Once you step out of the vehicle, you will turn back into yourself in about a minute's time. Please work this into all of your future posts.
So, are we all going to transform into Orcs now?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #193
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Valde Delego would like to humbly implore that the Grand Anakronist get his days straight in order that he not lose any more points...
Huh!?!?!? Did I goof? What'd I say an' what should I have said???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
So, are we all going to transform into Orcs now?
Yup.

Oh, and by the way, Celuien, not only have you just turned into an orc, but you have a tank that is three quarters full. The orc will now give you your RET - that is, ridiculously easy test for driving, after which you will be given a driver's license that looks suspiciously like a playing card. - pick your suit and number.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 12-08-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #194
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
'Twas simply your mix up of Thursdays and Fridays that has me so befuddled, dear poet.

EDIT: The Night was cut shorter than I expected, and thus I was forced to complain about my situation as I did above.

Last edited by Durelin; 12-08-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:38 PM   #195
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
'Twas simply your mix up of Thursdays and Fridays that has me so befuddled, dear poet.
Sorry for the fuddling. However, I gave you express TA-DA! permission to keep posting through the "Night" ... and ..... you didn't Anyway, that's your choice. So catch up. Be grateful that my original conception of a loss of one point per hour has found its way deep in the bottom of the green green ocean, and that you still have a chance at 7 ... or at least 6 points. By the by, I wouldn't get too too worried about the points. Naw, just a wee little bit instead. As soon as Valde has made it to Edge-Where, you can choose to keep going right off, or take a resting period.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #196
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The sun will set on this Day, at Mount Doom Casino and Resort, on Thursday, December 15, at 6:00 p.m., EST.

You will follow M-25 to M-1 and go to "the North". There will be:
  • flat tires
  • road construction
  • gridlock
  • speed cameras
  • lack of petrol/gas stations
  • constantly changing ordinance as to which is the correct side of the road
  • constantly rising petrol/gas prices
  • bad weather

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 12-08-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #197
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I'll post later tonight. Kath, TP: if you get in a post before me, you should know that Alli's not going with you guys on this trip (sort of... I'm thinking that her wimpy little car will break down on the highway and her cell phone won't be getting any reception and she'll need to be saved) because she's really ticked that you guys shot at her friend Roggie.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:39 PM   #198
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Yup.

Oh, and by the way, Celuien, not only have you just turned into an orc, but you have a tank that is three quarters full. The orc will now give you your RET - that is, ridiculously easy test for driving, after which you will be given a driver's license that looks suspiciously like a playing card. - pick your suit and number.
Lovely.

I didn't want to double post, so the story of Panakeia's RET is now included with my first post of the challenge.

I'm thinking that Panakeia should have to deal with and/or be an annoying back-seat driver (runs off to make sure they're ATM'ed) and arguments over who gets to drive to the Casino in this challenge. Does that look interesting to anybody else who might like to join her on the trip?

Last edited by Celuien; 12-08-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #199
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

mapping

Yeah, here goes again with the maps.

Here's the working method (I refrain from calling it a principle, since this entire rpg is highly unprincipled in terms of canonicity, keeping Tolkien from rolling in his grave, et cetera, ad infinitum, ad nauseum, et. al. ):

The chasms of Mordor are roughly aligned upon the system of Motorways in England.

Here are two maps:
Middle Earth
England

Lûndûn is situated along the westernmost concavity of the north shore of the Sea of Nurnen. Following a route that is roughly north-westerly, to Mount Doom, the trip is 225 miles, give or take, as the Mordorian Crow flies. Close enough for our purposes. If you want to hold up a measuring stick to your computer monitor, every 15 millimeters = 50* miles on this map.

Now, in terms of England, this trip follows M1 with surprising ease! What you're doing in terms of England, is driving from London to Durham, which is give or take 225 miles. On this particular map, every 30 millimeters = 50 miles. So it's exactly half.

So bleedin' what? ... you may ask; Well, two things.

(1) I want to at least get this to be verisimillitudinous (now there's a word for a civilized orc wannabe to use!) in terms of distances; just a pet hobby, I suppose. World Builders Unite!!!

(2) It WILL play into the game somehow, with interventions. Oh, and by the way, the moderator is currently disposed to interventions, and expects to remain that way for the duration of the game.

I hope that was most revealing and helpful and utterly confusing to you all.

*Edit: I originally and mistakenly said "75" for this; it should be "50".

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 12-08-2005 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #200
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
The Night was cut shorter than I expected, and thus I was forced to complain about my situation as I did above.
Ah. I see. Anakron will have mercy since it was his alter ego's screw up that caused the problem. Get Valde to Edge-Where by Friday at 6pm and you'll score a 7 .... unless he arrives unconscious, having broken a law, or something equally scurrilous.