The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
Yregwyn
Animated Skeleton

Yregwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Faramir's sword

I was just looking at stuff online being bored and i found a site that said Ringil was Faramir's sword. I had thought it was buried with Finggy in his cairne Turgon made for him. It could just have the same name, or the guy had no idea what he was talking about (he also said Hadafang was the sword all the elfs used in Helms Deep).... but ya never know. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it. As Fingolfin is my hero this would be valuable info if it was true.
Fingolfin.....He passed over Dor-nu-fauglith like wind amid dust, and all that beheld his onslaught fled in amaze, thinking Orome himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.
Yregwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yregwyn View Post
I was just looking at stuff online being bored and i found a site that said Ringil was Faramir's sword. I had thought it was buried with Finggy in his cairne Turgon made for him. It could just have the same name, or the guy had no idea what he was talking about (he also said Hadafang was the sword all the elfs used in Helms Deep).... but ya never know. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it. As Fingolfin is my hero this would be valuable info if it was true.
I know of no canonical material that states Ringil was Faramir's sword, or gives it any sort of name. In any case, his elder brother's sword was said to have been of "less lineage" than Aragorn's Andúril. It seems very improbable that the Steward of Gondor's younger son would carry a blade of such historical import as Ringil.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Yregwyn
Animated Skeleton

Yregwyn has just left Hobbiton.
That's what i was thinking also. The only reason i though it could possibly be true was that i read that the professor had stated that if he had wrote anyone as himself it would have been Faramir. So i kind of though hmmm, plus Faramir was of a higher blood then Boromir also. Boromir was just favored. It never hurts to ask does it? Thank you for the response.
Fingolfin.....He passed over Dor-nu-fauglith like wind amid dust, and all that beheld his onslaught fled in amaze, thinking Orome himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.
Yregwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I can't imagine it could be either. If Ringil survived the first age it would either be loot from Gondolin turned up from a hoard or possibly in the possession of Elrond or Elros via Idril or Gil-galad (accepting for this scenario the published version that he was Fingon's son). I can't see that an heirloom of Numenor ended up with a second son of the Steward. I suppose the hoard theory might be possible in the light of Glamdring but more likely might be that Faramir the scholar and benevolent to elves might have named his sword in honour of Fingolfin's. However I don't know of any textual reference to Ringil other than as Fingolfin's sword. So I suspect it is either movieverse randomly borrowing names or something seen in fanfic and wrongly taken as fact.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Question No references as far as I know

I could certainly be wrong; but I've seen no references in any of Tolkien's works to Faramir's sword having any name, yet alone that of Ringil. Do you remember where you found the reference, Yregwyn?
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I can't remember seeing a reference to Faramir's sword either - it was unnamed in the films too. Rest assured, if PJ had milked a backstory for it, we'd be sure to know it.

Like others have pointed out, I think there's no chance at all that Faramir has the original Ringil. Recycling an old name might be possible, but as there's no mention of it anywhere that I can find, I think that somebody made it up.

Hadhafang was only used by Arwen in the films - she apparently inherited it from her great-grandmother Idril. Either this person didn't know what he was talking about, or he was trolling.