The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-10-2003, 02:47 PM   #1
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Question A New Elrond

Hi all. I know people have mentioned it before, but I thought I'd come right out and ask:<P>I'm sure most of you have heard that David Bowie wanted to play the part of Elrond, but PJ wouldn't let him because he felt that Bowie would be too recognizable. I do agree with PJ on that point, but I also think that Bowie would have made an excellent Elrond, even better than Hugo. What do you all think?
Old 02-10-2003, 02:52 PM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Haven't seen any pictures of Bowie recently, but how old is he? That is a factor. You certainly wouldn't want too many wrinkles.<P>As for acting, I think he would have been good, though I can understand not wanting such a recognizable personality in the role. Then again, I like Hugo as well.<P>H.C.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:53 PM   #3
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hm...last time i saw david bowie in a movie he was in Labyrinth wearing spandex....*shudder* <BR>He would have made a good Elrond, thinking of it, and if they can make people look older they can make people look younger, so the wrinkles may not be a factor as much as they would be...
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 01:19 AM   #4
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

David was in that stupid movie "Zoolander" he looked pretty "middle aged". But hey, if Michael Jackson can almost look human, then David Bowie could play an elf.
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:47 AM   #5
Naldoriathil
Haunting Spirit

Naldoriathil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Bowie being Elrond would be crap. For a start he can't act and second Hugo Weaving, I think, has done an excellent job playing Elrond.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:45 AM   #6
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm sure most of you have heard that David Bowie wanted to play the part of Elrond, but PJ wouldn't let him because he felt that Bowie would be too recognizable. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have to agree with PJ.<BR>David Bowie would not come across to a cinema audience as Elrond. He would appear as David Bowie playing Elrond.<P>The whole "suspension of disbelief" effect would be lost and the film would fail to convince.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 11:20 AM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think Bowie being Elrond would be crap. For a start he can't act <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Go find Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence some time and then get back to me.<P>Can't act. <P>H.C.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:30 AM   #8
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Michael Jackson almost human...hahahaha...<BR>I couldn't stand Hugo at first, but now I really like him as Elrond, he kinda grew on me. But having someone as recognizable as David Bowie would be a big mistake, and I think PJ made the right decision.

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:36 PM   #9
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Stop being mean to Michael Jackson. that documentry was full of crap.<P>David Bowie, in my opinion, would kill Elrond. However, you never know, he may do him justice. Everyone should be given a chance. As for cant act, I think he was wonderful in Labirynth.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:19 PM   #10
Purple Monkey
Animated Skeleton

Purple Monkey has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Hm...last time i saw david bowie in a movie he was in Labyrinth wearing spandex....*shudder* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><p><BR>He's on the Moulin Rouge DVD, too. Not too wrinkly.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:52 PM   #11
Laialthriel
Animated Skeleton

Laialthriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've never seen Bowie act, so I can't make a judgement on that, but I have seen him, period. My apologies to any of his fans, but that's more than enough for me. The guy creeps me out...<P>I'm very glad PJ decided against him. I think Hugo Weaving was the best choice for the part. He had the elegance, the wizened yet possibly dangerous appearance that portrayed Elrond just right. <P>Laialthriel
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." --Phil 3:14
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." --Gandalf the Gray
Laialthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 04:03 PM   #12
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If we're going on the assumption that the best actors for LOTR are ones that aren't that recognizeable, how do you explain Liv Tyler, Cate Blanchett and Elijah Wood?<P>I hold with Laialthriel. That guy creeps me out. But, then again, I never really liked him anyway, except as one of those figures in music that you have to at least respect on the grounds that they're so well known. Which brings me back to the above. <P>-'Vana<p>[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: DaughterofVana ]

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 06:02 PM   #13
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I usually agree with HCI - but I rather liked Bowie in "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence". But as Elrond? FAR from sure...
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 03:45 AM   #14
Frwek
Pile O'Bones

Frwek has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frwek Send a message via AIM to Frwek
Ring

hi,<BR> i think hugo is more suitable for the role =)
Frwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 07:21 AM   #15
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I usually agree with HCI - but I rather liked Bowie in "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I loved Bowie in "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence". I was being sarcastic but I guess it didn't come across.<P>H.C.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:17 PM   #16
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

I, too, think that Hugo was the best choice for the role. I only saw Bowie once, and that was in the Labyrinth, so my reckonings on his abilities to portray Elrond well are limited. I'm actually leaning towards Mr. Weaving because he's now one of my favorite actors, even though I absolutely hated him at first. Hmm…I have issues.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:32 PM   #17
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, I'm surprised so many people posted to my question! Yes, I've seen the Labyrinth too, and I know that his role in that wouldn't leave a very good impression on you.He is a decent actor though, and if he wasn't so recognizeable, I think PJ would have let him be Elrond. I don't know why, but I've just got this problem with Hugo's appearance. I think it's the long hair. It makes his forehead look huge! He just seems like he would be more suitable for a human role than an elf role. He also seemed angry to me.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:56 PM   #18
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi,<P>I've seen David Bowie in LABYRINTH, he made a lovely goblin king, but Elrond he isn't - and he's too old. Radio, maybe - he does speak well. Not film. Too many people think of him as a singer. Hugo Weaving had the right dignity and gravity for the part and I think I will always imagine Elrond as him from now on. of course, I'm slightly biased, being an Aussie. : - ). I've seen Hugo Weaving as Petruchio and Benedick on stage. Lovely actor!
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 05:35 PM   #19
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

Umm.......... I don't think I would have liked Bowie as Elrond, I would rather think of the matrix when I see this movie rather than Labyrinth. That was just AWFUL
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 11:16 PM   #20
Fergo Baggins

Tolkien

I think if we were doing a version of Lord of the Rings where suspension of disbelief didn't matter (where, say, we could get away with songs like "Where there's a whip there's a way"), Bowie would have been just fine as Elrond.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:28 PM   #21
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*shudders*<P>id have nightmares. hugo is so much more down to earth and realistic. david bowie would probably just sing on everything
Old 02-17-2003, 02:42 PM   #22
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nobody can replace Hugo.