The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2000, 06:42 AM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring What are your thought on the movies?

<BR>I am really excited by the prospect of seeing The Lord of the Rings on the silver screen. But I'm sure there may be some disappointments also because it is simply impossible for a filmmaker to adhere as strictly to a book (or three books in this case) as we fans would like. But overall, seeing Gandalf race across Rohan on Shadowfax or Bill Ferny get popped in the eye with an apple will be great (if these scenes make it into the films).<br> <br> So what are your thoughts, rants or raves?<br> <br> <p><i><a href="mailto:barrow-wight@kitgraphics.com">The Barrow-Wight</a></b></i><br> <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a></p>
Old 05-04-2000, 06:27 PM   #2
bmilder
Animated Skeleton

bmilder has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> I can't wait to see the movies! My only problem is waiting over a YEAR to see the first one! <br> <br> Having Tom Bombadil scrapped is sad, but necessary to keep the plot going. <p>---Ben<br> Admin at <a href=http://pub2.ezboard.com/bbenjaminstolkienboard>Entmoot</a>, the largest J.R.R. Tolkien community on ezboard!</p>
bmilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2000, 06:34 PM   #3
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR><br><br> I know what you mean, Ben. Christmas 2001 is such a long time from now. Amazingly they are going to be releasing a cinematic trailer this Summer. 1.5 years before the film's planned release. I wonder if that will set a record. I remember when the Armageddon trailer came out about a year before the movie's release and I thought that was incredibly early.<br> <br> Funny thing, Ben... I was just at Entmoot yesterday... but I was just lurking ... you don't have a shortage of members there. Thanks for coming here!<br> <br> <p><i><a href="mailto:barrow-wight@kitgraphics.com">The Barrow-Wight</a></b></i><br> <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a></p>
Old 05-10-2000, 10:39 AM   #4
Morakyr

Ring

<BR><br><br> I cannot wait. I vaguely remember seeing the animated movie at the theater as a small child. A motion picture would be fabulous!! <p></p>
Old 05-19-2000, 08:12 AM   #5
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Ring

<BR><br><br> I absolutely LONG for those films!!!!!!!<br> Ive seen this cartoon and was really disappointed because if you havent read the books the film does only confuse you.<br> But im sure that the movies will be great. They have to be!!! We tolkien-fans deserve it!!! hehehe <p></p>

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2000, 02:17 AM   #6
BilboFrodo
Pile O'Bones

BilboFrodo has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Well my thoughts are how can you scrape Tom Bombadil, its just doesn't make sense to me.<br> And I am NOT going to see the movies as they will not be anything like I imagined the characters to be so it will ruin them for me, As no one would be the perfect Gandalf or Frodo for everyone so I am one fanatic who will not see the movies as to put it nice I think they will be crap.<br> There is not one book I have read and then seen the movie based on the book and liked it one bit. <p></p>
BilboFrodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2000, 09:19 AM   #7
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR>Seeing these movies is going to be great!</b><br><br> Your loss, really, if you refuse to see these movies. I've heard similar remarks from a few Tolkien fans, and though I understand the sentiment, I really don't see how seeing them will hurt anyone.<br> <br> Though there is absolutely no way that the films can match the book, I'm guessing that these films will be much truer to my visions of the books than the terrible Bakshi animated version was. But I am more interested in seeing how other people envision Middle-Earth than seeing a word-for-word rendition of the book (which would take 20 movies and 20 years). I'll watch it many times even if it really, really stinks! <p><i><a href="mailto:barrow-wight@kitgraphics.com">The Barrow-Wight</a></b></i><br> <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a></p><i>Edited by <A HREF=http://pub12.ezboard.com/urkittle.showPublicProfile>RKittle</A>&nbsp; at: 6/1/00 11:19:48 am<br></i>
Old 06-07-2000, 12:55 PM   #8
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Christopher Lee is gonna RULE THE SCREEN!!<br> Really, he as Curumo (he is still the cast, isn“t he?), I“m looking forward to it.<br> One thing I“m worried about would be &quot;biased filming&quot;, it is hard for any director to keep his own interpretations out of a production, and I fear that, for example, the orcs could be naziesque (esp. Saruman“s Uruk-Hai) or such. <p></p>
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2000, 07:00 AM   #9
Ferr
Pile O'Bones

Ferr has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed...though, the screenshots look promising...and when it finally comes in the Dutch theaters (usually half a year later!!), I'm certainly am going to see it...Though I feel sympathy for our neighbours, the Germans...They always feel the need to re-speak (sorry, don't know the word rightnow) foreign movies...Like the German Arnold Schwarzenegger &quot;Ich sollte wieder zuruck kommen&quot; hahahahaa...<br> <br> Question:<br> I also have seen the terrible animated movie of Mr. Bakshi, though only the first part...It ends, if I remember correctly, with the Battle of Rohan at Helmsgate...I have searched for part 2...without succes. Has it actually been brought out?? <p><tt><i>"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less then half of you half as well as you deserve"</i></b></tt>B. Baggins</p>
Ferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2000, 09:30 AM   #10
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> I read somewhere that the movies are being released at the same time worldwide. I think you mean the Germans &quot;dub&quot; or &quot;re-dub&quot; movies. I have caught the end (pushing 20 times now) of a animated version that doesn't seem to have been made by the same guy. I always seem to catch it right after Cirith Ungol. It ends when Gandalf, Bilbo, and Frodo, probably some people I don't remember as well, leaving over the sea in a beautiful white boat. Of course, when I watched it I hadn't read the book yet, so Bilbo was just an old midget. In this version when Frodo put the Ring on he would disapear, but it wouldn't. To show where he was, I guess. Sting didn't disappear ether. The ending (until the very end, which goes very very fast) was good enough for me to waste 45 minutes almost 20 times, so it can't be the same guy. Or he got better for the second one. I think it was called The Return of the King. <p>What's a burrahobbit got to do with my pocket, anyways?</p>
Old 06-09-2000, 12:52 PM   #11
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Ring

<BR><br><br> Wow, that was long. But wait! There's more! At the siege of Minas Tirith there was a winged Nazgul. It was amazing! A winged horse with wings that could darken the sun! There was such an aura of power coming from the horse and rider that I thought they were defending the tower from invaders. As if it were Minas Morgul. And when Rohan came! Oh! I don't know that I've ever seen so many horses! A dozen wide stretching as far as any could see! And at the head an aged and noble king, riding in to save the world. And the sky! It was brown, an eternal twilight that helped me thing it was the nazgul's castle. It was overwhelming. I don't know if it showed the Witch-king die, I was too caught up in the scenery. <p>What's a burrahobbit got to do with my pocket, anyways?</p>
Old 06-09-2000, 02:22 PM   #12
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> You“re damn right about our &quot;synchronizing&quot; in Germany, not only because it takes away much of the spirit of the original, but also because there are so few speakers who are not too bad that they appear sooo often.. this way Gandalf will sound like Sean Connery always sounds, Boromir like ALF, Saruman like... oh, I better stop this nightmare.<br> <br> I“ve read somewhere that, in the Netherlands, even normal TV shows are in English, with the translation only readable at the bottom of the screen, is this true? Sounds good, but how do you think you can preserve your nation“s language that way? Soon the subtitles will disappear, and English will be the united language of Europe. Prof Tolkien would not have wanted this I assume. <br> But fortunately, some smaller cinemas (which are, in turn, gradually disappearing, too) have sth. called &quot;Wir lernen Englisch&quot; - &quot;We learn English&quot; where they sometimes show movies in the original version. And, one can still borrow the English version at his local Video Buster <br> Oh yeah, one thing, Arnold has to sound German - I cannot stand his talking English, his dialect is so strong, it sounds like German anyway )... <p></p>
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2000, 03:36 AM   #13
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Ring

<BR><br><br> you mean he talks like this:<br> &quot; Ai'll bee baiik! &quot;<br> lol<br> <p></p>

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2000, 12:55 PM   #14
lorien de loth
Pile O'Bones

lorien de loth has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR>my thought on the movies</b><br><br> I feel fear every time I think about the movies. Will they respect the language, the poetry, the characters and the sense of humour of so many passages? I hope so, but I feel very pessimistic by now. <br> <br> I think a book is a book and a movie is a movie. In my opinion, Professor Tolkien deserves more than a simple description of his work in images and visual effects. Tolkien“s imagination deserve more inspiration by the film makers.<br> <br> <br> <br> <p></p>
lorien de loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2000, 03:50 AM   #15
Boat Akk

Ring

<BR> New Zealand</b><br><br> Hello tolkienphiles!<br> <br> I am a resident of Christchurch, New Zealand and have a neighbour who is Gandalf's understudy!! <br> Can anyone tell me where they are filming specific parts of TLotR?<br> Rivendell for example?<br> <br> Boat Akk <p></p>
Old 07-21-2000, 10:37 AM   #16
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Ring

<BR> Re: New Zealand</b><br><br> Lucky. <p>What's a burrahobbit got to do with my pocket, anyways?</p>
Old 07-21-2000, 11:41 PM   #17
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

galpsi has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: New Zealand</b><br><br> Yeah really; I have a neighbor who sells plumbing supplies...and who talks about work a lot. <p></p>
galpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2000, 05:12 AM   #18
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: New Zealand</b><br><br> after reading over the older postings on this topic, I must say that I admireBilboFrodo's 6/1 <br> post that he won't see it as it wil only interfere w/ his impressions of the book.Of course he can always change his mind if every one of his friends tell him it's the best thing since say - Unfinished Tales: ] . I think honouring one's relationship to the books <br> esp. after sooooo many bad movie adaptations make's a certain sense.<br> Star Wars {forgive my mentioning it here to those whom it might offend} was lucky in that it preceded all of the many, many books that have since come out and the deep impressions caused by the movie allow one to read the later books w/ far greater sense of realism than the writings or plot often deserves! so - even though I will prob. go see it . I would be very unlikely to want tosee it so much that it alters my relationship w/ the books.{assuming they don't do an incredible A- or better job}. <p></p><i>Edited by <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000076>lindil</A> at: 7/23/00 7:22:26 am<br></i>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2000, 06:00 AM   #19
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

Ring

<BR> Re: New Zealand</b><br><br> I don't think that there is any rule that movies based upon books need always disappoint. I like John Huston's The Dead and also his Under the Volcano enormously despite already having had strong commitments to the books in question. That said, I'm not overly optimistic on PJ's behalf. Nevertheless, I'm with Kittle on this one. I anticipate the movie eagerly, both because I expect to have fun watching it and because I think we'll all have fun kvetching about its faults for weeks (at least).<br> I think that serious misgivings are seriously misplaced. LotR will not be damaged by a weak movie. The books are plenty good enough not to be hurt by one. The bigger threat to one's &quot;impressions of the book&quot; would come from a good movie. But I'd be grateful for a good movie and I'm not worried in the least that even a good movie will overshadow either JRRT's writing, or my impressions of it. <p></p>
Old 07-23-2000, 06:32 AM   #20
lindil

Ring

<BR> Re: New Zealand</b><br><br> Then thou havest a stronger mind than I. <p></p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
Old 07-23-2000, 06:47 AM   #21
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

Ring

<BR> Re: New Zealand</b><br><br> Or maybe just a misplaced sense of confidence. But I think that the difference between the kinds of story telling in movies and in novels is so great that they need not impinge upon one another. Movies can be stunning and ideally they have relatively great narrative clarity but I don't think that they can usually rival long books for depth or for the ability to express ideas with a maximal balance of economy and profundity. I like both. <p></p>
Old 07-23-2000, 06:55 AM   #22
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR> Re: New Zealand</b><br><br> I just don't know how a bad movie can ruin ones perception of a book. All a bad movie can do is ruin ones perception of the same bad movie. If <i> The Fellowship of the Ring</i> movie is just awful then I will admire the book all the more. These movies can do nothing but strengthen my admiration for the good Professor's creations. <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 07-23-2000, 09:24 AM   #23
lindil

Ring

<BR> Re: New Zealand</b><br><br> pondering this a bit further I think that each person derives and looks for different things in Tolkien's writings as in most else. So that any disagreement over to see or not and wether the films will adversely or otherwise effect one's perceptions fundamentally comes down to wether you feel you would derive value out of it. I must admit I don' t put confidence in any of this -just interest and a bit of my heart. <p></p>
Old 07-27-2000, 11:33 AM   #24
lorien de loth
Pile O'Bones

lorien de loth has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR>my thought on the movies</b><br><br> Thank you all, I am already not so pessimistic. But I think I didn“t express my toughts so well. Sorry for my english. The novel will always be the novel, with all his merits for itself, in this I agree. But what about the people that have not read the book? Maybe so many will read it after watching the films, but surely most will not. What image will they have about the novel then, if the film is not worthy at all? <p></p>
lorien de loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2000, 01:07 PM   #25
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR><br><br> Then it is our duty to spread the word to read the books before the movies are released !! <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 07-28-2000, 11:19 AM   #26
Suldaledhel
Eru's Gift

Suldaledhel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: my thought on the movies</b><br><br> I agree with RKittle whole heartedly!!!!!!!!! We must inform others out there about the books and then the movies!!!!!!! I personally have long awaited these movies and hope that they will be nothing like The Hobbit movie...... besides being animated I tought the plot was underdeveloped and went too quickly by to know what was going on ( unless you had read the book of course!!) hopefully the director will take some time to build up the characters properky and thoroughly... but I dread it will not be done so.... I look forward to more movie news and excitedly await the realeases.<br> <br> Goodbye and farewell wherever you fare and may your eyries recieve you at the journey's end!!!!!!!<br> <br> <p></p>
Suldaledhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 03:28 AM   #27
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

Ring

<BR> Re: my thought on the movies</b><br><br> This is sort of strangely embarrassing to admit, but I just saw a still of the Argonath -- while surfing around -- and it was at least as good as the image I've been carrying around in my head all these years.<br> (If you want to see it, I've stashed it here for convenience: <a href="http://www.geocities.com/herbert_hendrickson/otr.img4.river.gif">www.geocities.com/herbert_hendrickson/otr.img4.river.gif</a>, but it's about the size of a postage stamp -- sorry.) <p></p><i>Edited by <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000201>galpsi</A> at: 7/29/00 5:52:55 am<br></i>
Old 08-06-2000, 05:50 PM   #28
dogtrot
Animated Skeleton

dogtrot has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: my thought on the movies</b><br><br> I have been reading LOTR for nearly 20 years. If PJ's big screen version is dissapointing, then so be it. It will not affect my perception of this great story. I have seen some movies based on novels that I later read and enjoyed more than the movie and the only drawback is sometimes visualizing the characters as the actor portrayed(like catch 22, world according to garp). But I have been dissapointed in anticipated movie releases in the past such as Phantom Menace, but I think this due to all the hype. This movie has alot of hype already but as stated above we as Tolkien fans are here to discuss it and get the word out to &quot;newbies&quot; that there is a great piece of literature behind it and I read somewhere that sales of the trilogy is on the rise again. I too will see this movie many times even if it is terrible, but how can it be. There has got to be some redeming quality in it, if nothing else then it will bring all of us tolkien fans out of the woodwork! <p></p>
dogtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2000, 11:20 AM   #29
lindil

Ring

<BR> Re: my thought on the movies</b><br><br> True enough Dogtrot.<br> your point re: it effecting visualization of the book is for me a huge one- obviously for some peole it won't be. For some it my be a real plus [as the Star wars movies gave an amazing depth to sometimes great and sometimes lame books]<br> I will undoubtedly see it once[God Willing I should say] -but if I didn't want it to become by default the prism through which I began to view [picture ] the books I might not see it again.<br> the stills I have seen so far seem to be excellent [except for this newest one of Saruman? being impaled on what appears to be a piece of his own machinery]<br> lindil<br> and of course it will undoubtedly have a good effect on the [non] reading public especially all the cyber youth- the fact that H. potter is due to be released a month earlier will prob. help too. <p></p>
Old 08-18-2000, 08:44 AM   #30
coprophage7
Pile O'Bones

coprophage7 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> I'm a bit worried about the films, to tell the truth. I have yet to see a movie adaptation of a book which was as good as the novel (or better). Of course I'll go see the films, but I don't think that they will ever take the place of TLOTR novels.<br> Liv Tyler as Arwen is questionable, but I know that if anyone could handle Galadriel, Cate Blanchet can! <p></p>
coprophage7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2000, 01:00 AM   #31
gamegie
Wight

gamegie has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> I am also a little worried about the movies. Of course I will have to go and see them and possess them as soon as they come out in VCD or DVD or whatever, but I am scared that it will not do the book/TOLKIEN justice at all.<br> <br> I don't know about you but I have rarely seen a movie after having read the book and thought it was very good. <br> <br> The main reason I am worried is that so many scenes in the book I have imagined and I have visions of, and these cannot easily be re-created in the film.<br> <br> I agree with coprophage7 about Liv Tyler, as much as she is pretty and a good actress she does not fit the role. I would much prefer most of the actors to be totally unknown.<br> Sorry, Gwenyth Paltrow would do the job as Galadriel or Arwen..... <p>Charming Humble Hobbit</p>
gamegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2000, 03:21 PM   #32
Gothmoga
Pile O'Bones

Gothmoga has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> The Movie will not compete with the books in our affections or our addictions,the best movie screen is in the mind anyhow,what the Movie will possibly accomplish to us Tolks'is a sense of realism,it will add the SOUND of the Rauros and the noise of the Oliphant,the thing I dread most is a mass marketing strategy,,Bilbo dolls and plastic Saurons. Grrroan <p> "They come slowly forth and Glare." <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Creating a Simple link</TITLE></HEAD><A HREF="http://pub23.ezboard.com/bminasmorgul">Minas Morgul,</A></BODY></HTML></p>
Gothmoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2000, 08:34 PM   #33
dogtrot
Animated Skeleton

Ring

<BR> Re: my thought on the movies</b><br><br> yes i fear i may be tempted to eat at taco bell in order to get my free aragorn cup. or i can go to kentucky fried chicken and get the poseable arwen doll. at least this will make a good chew toy for my dog. <p></p>
Old 09-05-2000, 09:33 PM   #34
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

Ring

<BR> Re: my thought on the movies</b><br><br> You shouldn't give chicken to dogs; they can easily choke on fine bone splinters. <p></p>
Old 09-06-2000, 11:27 AM   #35
dogtrot
Animated Skeleton

Ring

<BR> Re: my thought on the movies</b><br><br> i meant the poseable arwen doll. i would never feed my dogs fast food , i on the other hand can not go a week without a cheeseburger. <p></p>
Old 09-06-2000, 02:22 PM   #36
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

Ring

<BR> Re: my thought on the movies</b><br><br> &quot;I will give you two Arwen dolls tomorrow for an Arwen doll today.&quot; <p></p>
Old 09-06-2000, 03:32 PM   #37
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR> Re: my thought on the movies</b><br><br> How Wimpy can you get? <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 09-06-2000, 08:31 PM   #38
gamegie
Wight

gamegie has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: What is with the Arwen dolls ?</b><br><br> I am the only one here for not particularly liking Liv Tyler as Arwen ? <p>Charming Humble Hobbit</p>
gamegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2000, 10:55 PM   #39
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

<BR> Re: What is with the Arwen dolls ?</b><br><br> Ugh. Liv Tyler. Why not bring in Denise Richardson to play Galadriel while we're at it? Sure, she can't act, but she does have... other assets. But as others have said elsewhere on the board, I think I'll be able to live with her. Just keep Ben Affleck out of it. That's all I ask.<br> <br> Ideally, I'd like to see a cast of relative unknowns in the lead roles, but I think they've done a pretty good job all things considered. Elijah Wood looks convincing to me as Frodo in the trailer, and he's a good actor, too. I'm more worried about Sean Astin as Samwise. If Liv is bad, you can just grit your teeth and bear it; I don't think she'll be on-screen that much. But Astin has a pivotal role and if he doesn't nail Sam, it could really bring the whole trilogy down. <p></p>
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2000, 11:30 PM   #40
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

Ring

<BR> Re: What is with the Arwen dolls ?</b><br><br> With the exception of Boyd as Pippin, I'd argue that all the pricipals are too young and too cute. (No, no, not McKellen, Lee, Holm, or Hill, you know who I mean.) Bean as Boromir looks about right -- far more appropriate than that hunky underwear-model type they've got for Aragorn. And I'm quite content with the look and the talent of John Rhys-Davies. Dwarves are Welsh, right? <p></p>