The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2003, 05:00 AM   #1
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Oscar Buzz?

Found this short article in this week's <I>Newsweek</I>. Could there be hope that P.J. will finally get his due?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><B>Lord of the Oscars?</B><P>Peter Jackson might want to clear off his mantel. The director of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, which has already grossed more than $1.8 billion worldwide, is finishing part three, “The Return of the King,” and even without seeing a frame, Hollywood insiders consider it the front runner for a best-picture statuette — and Jackson for best director — come Oscar time.<P>No surprise: the first two films were both nominated. What’s remarkable is that in an industry known for vicious battles for Academy Awards, many people who plan to compete against Jackson’s film secretly want him to win. “I’m such a fan of his,” says a studio head with a film sure to be up against “LOTR.” “I’ve been waiting for the Academy to reward him for his nine-hour movie.”<P>Or it may be even longer. There’s rampant speculation about the length of the film — still two months from completion — with reports circulating that “King” will clock in at more than three hours. If it does, that’s not likely to matter much to fans, critics or even the studio. The first two installments squeaked in just under the 180-minute mark, and it’s hard to imagine they could have made any more money. (The highest-grossing film so far, “Titanic,” ran a butt-numbing 3 hours 14 minutes.) And while New Line head Robert Shaye shares final cut with Jackson, he has yet to meddle with the director’s creative decisions. “We do not talk about length,” says studio COO Mark Ordesky. “We talk about the film.” So, apparently, does everybody else in Hollywood. They always did like a happy ending.<BR><I>—Sean Smith</I><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:09 AM   #2
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Hey, that's so cool! PJ would deserve it. I so can't wate for RotK... And the longer the movie is the happier I am.

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 01-12-2006 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Sweeping party...
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:27 AM   #3
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's great! It's about time LotR won best picture. I can't wait for RotK!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 02:31 PM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

If RotK (lets be honest, its not just RotK, its LotR in general) doesn't win Best Film, I will be extremely surprised.<P>Likewise Jackson for Best Director. Ever since Fellowship came out I'm pretty sure the Academy have said;<P>"Lets just give him the awards for the 3rd film."
Old 08-16-2003, 04:58 PM   #5
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I completely agree. I have heard many news magazines and such always say that ROTK would take all the awards in the end. I mean, I keep saying that it'll be so good, and my sister keeps telling me that I shouldn't be so sure about it because they could come out with another movie that will beat ROTK, but I don't think so. I just keep telling her that it will be so good, she don't even know how good, and that it definitly has the award. She hasn't read the books though so she seriously can't even imagine what is going to happen. She has it in her mind that Frodo dies. But I'm not saying anything...
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:30 PM   #6
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's okay...my friend has it in her head that Legolas dies. Who would do such a thing? *coughs uncomfortably* <P>I think that RotK is going to blow all the other movies out of the water. Move over, Seabiscuit! Move over, Pirates! Here comes Return of the King! I just hope that all the cast is there this time.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 07:12 PM   #7
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I wouldn't be surprised if LOTR / ROTK and Peter Jackson are recognized. No matter what PJ-bashers say, I still think they were great movies, <I>apart</I> from the original books anyway. The direction is great, the musical score is great, the makup is great, the costumes, the cinematography, the production design... I'm not really worried about someone else coming up with a better movie this year.<P>And yeah, we better revive this slogan: Frodo lives!
Old 08-16-2003, 07:46 PM   #8
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, its true isnt it? I mean there hasnt been any bombshell movies apart form ROTK this year has there? I mean nothing really really good... I mean you do have your movies that you like and watch but nothing more oscar worthy than ROTK... Thank goodness Troy wont be released until after the oscars, then i think we would be in a spot of trouble. I also read in a report that People think Sean Astin will be in with a great chance for a best actor nomination..<P>We shall have to wait and see.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 09:00 PM   #9
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I'll probably be quite mad if ROTK doesn't win best picture and PJ doesn't get best actor. I'm hoping it will go all the way and make history by being the film to make the most box-office money ever, set a record in number of Oscar nominations, and set a record in number of Oscars received (all three would be wonderful!). <P>Also, I'd really like to see it nominated for Best makeup, costumes, musical score, song, screenplay, special effects, visual effects, you get the picture...<P>I <B>really</B> hope that Sean Astin gets nominated for Best Actor (and wins!) . Even best supporting actor would be great, but he's really not a "supporting" actor, and I think he deserves Best Actor!

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 09:22 PM   #10
Eruwen

Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>That's okay...my friend has it in her head that Legolas dies. Who would do such a thing? *coughs uncomfortably*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You aren't talking about my poem are you? I don't know if you are, but if you're not, uh...don't go to the fan fic section. <P>And I really hope Sean Astin gets voted best actor. I mean, he is too great to not be mentioned. After all the incredible, tear-jerking lines from the first movie, and then the heart-wrenching speech in the second, you can just imagine what it will be like in the third. He's got that one definitly. <P>And can any of the actors be nominated for best supporting actor? I mean, all of them are supporting actors and lead actors at the same time. I wouldn't say that Viggo or Elijah would be considered a supporting actor, but a lead actor. So who would they nominate?
Old 08-17-2003, 12:01 AM   #11
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>If RotK (lets be honest, its not just RotK, its LotR in general) doesn't win Best Film, I will be extremely surprised.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I for one, will not only be surprised, but probably throw the biggest fit since I was three! J/K <P>But, honestly, if it doesn't win, I'll be extremely dissapointed...<p>[ August 17, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 02:53 AM   #12
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Quote:
And can any of the actors be nominated for best supporting actor? I mean, all of them are supporting actors and lead actors at the same time.
Yep, that's a bit tough question. Obviously at least Frodo is a lead actor but does it mean that all the others are supporting actors? I think that all the members of the Fellowship are in a way lead actors. So can they nominate a lead actor for best supporting actor?!

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 01-12-2006 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Having a sweeping party...
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:48 AM   #13
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

*bows to <B>Kaiserin</B> and nobly responds: <B> Frodo lives!</B><P>Actually, an Academy Award would be too soon to be given as early as FotR or even TTT. TTT is just too much of a sequel, and not to mention a "middle child" ---not bad for a middle child, though <P>The films deserve it at the very end. At least the story has to be completed; after all, it is, in truth, a roughly 9-hour movie. If they deserve an award, it should be for the WHOLE of The Lord of the Rings!<P>As for the Academy itself, based on its choices, RotK might just get it. I can just hear it now...cross your fingers til March, my friends, my premonitions have an eeriness of being possible!<P>Better set a tv date with LotR friends!<P>*flutters around tickled with excitement*
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:56 AM   #14
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I mean there hasnt been any bombshell movies apart form ROTK this year has there? I mean nothing really really good.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But when is Master and Commander coming to theaters? (I forget... LOL) Oh by the by, I saw the preview for it when I saw Seabiscuit, but I didn't see Billy Boyd... I don't think...
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:40 AM   #15
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<B>Neferchoirwen:</B><BR>I know this is completely off topic, but I am quite curious and must ask. <BR>You are doing the <I>Walk to Rivendell</I>?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>can any of the actors be nominated for best supporting actor? I mean, all of them are supporting actors and lead actors at the same time. I wouldn't say that Viggo or Elijah would be considered a supporting actor, but a lead actor. So who would they nominate?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Wouldn't it be awesome if LotR actors were the only ones nominated? <P>Frodo Lives! <p>[ August 17, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-17-2003, 03:15 PM   #16
Eruwen

Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Wouldn't it be awesome if LotR actors were the only ones nominated?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, actually, it would be kinda cool, but also kinda sad. I mean, if one actor got it, then the rest would have to face the fact that they didn't. I wouldn't like that so much because they were all good and I can't compare most of them for one award.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:16 PM   #17
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But when is Master and Commander coming to theaters?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>November! Ahhh *nerviousness* <P>I think (and hope) that ROTK is going to win many Oscars. But I am still very nervious. Because I currently have been going on many Oscar prediction sites, to see how everybody feels about it (they all have had ROTK as a definite nomination) but there is still many other good films coming out, and you just never know what the academy is going to choose.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:30 PM   #18
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> my premonitions have an eeriness of being possible!<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, my Oscar predictions are usually more than fifty percent accurate... but I'm biased!

Old 08-17-2003, 07:54 PM   #19
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I wouldn't like that so much because they were all good and I can't compare most of them for one award.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This is true, Eruwen. <BR><I>But</I>, logically, if only LotR actors are nominated, than only LotR actors can win. <BR>This is what I really care about. Awards being given where their due, and not to a simple story that is shallow enough to be told in two hours. (I am by no means putting them down, most of the movies I like are even less than that.)<BR>I would say Mortenson or Astin should get it, the case being that surely either of my two favourites would accredit it to everyone and so solve the problem of having to choose just one... Maybe I am just biased... <P><B>Frodo Lives!</B> <I>Pass it on!</I><p>[ August 17, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-17-2003, 08:18 PM   #20
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>you just never know what the academy is going to choose.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sadly, this is all too true. Far too often you see movies/actors/actresses/directors that are, at best, mediocre, take home the Oscar while a truly brilliant performance/film walks away empty-handed. Hopefully, this will be the year that the Academy actually shows some taste and good judgment!
Old 08-18-2003, 04:55 AM   #21
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Old 08-18-2003, 06:44 AM   #22
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

*nef's eyes widen, and a long sigh escapes from her mouth, and bows reverently*<P>Yes, <B>Arwen</B> I'm on the Walk stuck on 200 miles, as you can see...I'm aching to get to Weathertop!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I mean, if one actor got it, then the rest would have to face the fact that they didn't. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't think so...they'll all share the statuette! The way people in Manila say it: <I>sila pa!</I> (literal translation is hard to provide at the moment)
Old 08-18-2003, 07:13 AM   #23
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Where did you find that picture, <B>Birdland</B>! <P>I am doing the Walk too, <B>Neferchoirwen</B>. I am at 255 miles, and I've got to hurry and reach Glorfindel because poor Frodo is getting sicker by the minute! Especially after my weekend break...

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-18-2003, 08:56 AM   #24
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Where did you get that picture, Birdland?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sorry for going way off-topic, but your pm is turned off, Arwyn.<P><A HREF="http://www.tolkiencollector.com/" TARGET=_blank>tolkien collector.</A><P>This site has the video of P.J. acceptance speech for his last award, BTW. (There, a desperate attempt to get back O-T.)
Old 08-18-2003, 05:38 PM   #25
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would like to see RotK win, too - on behalf of all 3 movies. The problem for both the LotR trilogy & the academy is that the awards really aren't 'geared' towards movie(s) like this. Neither in terms of the 3-part thing nor in terms of the fact that the movies acting wise are more of a collective effort than based on one or two actors performance alone.<P>The academy <I>could</I> choose to solve this by handing out one of their 'special' awards - it's been seen before, like when someone important in films have been handed one of those 'lifetime achievement' awards.<P>We'll just have to wait & see...
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:05 PM   #26
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Wouldn't it be awesome if LotR actors were the only ones nominated? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Cool, but highly unlikely.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 08-24-2003, 02:33 PM   #27
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Cool, but highly unlikely.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Unlikely, yes, but in my world I wouldn't say <I>highly</I> unlikely, because I haven't seen many award-worthy movies come out this year. There are some good children's movies, but other than that there is not much that has come out so far for the Academy to work with. Now I'm not quite sure what movies are due to be released during the rest of this year, I just hope there aren't any really big ones....

Old 08-25-2003, 12:56 PM   #28
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the August 22 edition of USA TODAY they talked about the possibility of an Oscar for RotK. Here are some highlights of the article:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>...there is a feeling that exists ....that academy memebers are saving the unltimate honers for the last Rings hurrah. There is no garentee especially when several other grand-scale epics, including war dramas The Alamo and The Last Samurai as well as the seafaring Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, will be in the running this year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So there is a bit of competition. Though I think that Billy Boyd would rather RotK got the Oscar rather then Master and Commander. I don't know much about the other movies though.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Then there is the odd grudge that Oscar voters apparently hold against sci-fi and fantacy. While a few genre titles such as The Wizard of Oz and Star Wars have competed for best picture none has ever won. It's as if entertaining somhow equals frivolous [unimportant].<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That means that if RotK wins it will be the first fantacy to do so. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Although the acadamy obviously admires the results, it most likely considers the trilogy to be an effects showcase rather then an emotional journey and acting tour-de-france. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Now that's a very unfair judgement.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> So rather then focus on such digital hocus pocus as Gollum....it's time to play up the human element and the intimate encounters. As Jackson describes the main objective behind this year's ectra shooting. "We're tending to look at scenes that we already did the first time around and make the character moments more powerfull. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>In other words: bring your tissues.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Mortensen, who could very well be nominated as best actor for his intesely soulful emoting, is pleased with the shift in emphasis. "The special effects have really been top level, but the human relationships are going to hold up much longer then any effects.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>A better chance at the Oscars? I think so.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:03 PM   #29
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

I actually think that one reason that New Line may be re-releasing the first two films in theaters is just to get the last one more attention and press. I also heard something in another article talking about how it was surprising that TTT was nominated for best picture last year because they barely did any campaning for it at all.<P>This year I think they are going all out now. This is of course their last chance. And they do have a lot of competition. There is many epics coming out this year, but I think it's biggest competition is Cold Mountain. It is a civil war movie, which is based on a book that I have read. Unless the other epics are really good, I think the main race is between ROTK and that.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:07 PM   #30
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Ah, all you people are so optimistic! You make me get my hopes up - hopefully not only to be dashed! But , hey, as Aragorn said: "There is always hope"<BR> <BR>Cold Mountain...hmmm, that has nicole kidman in it who lately has been an oscar magnet...<P>So is <B>Frodo lives!</B> our way of supporting ROTK? Then I shall proudly add it to my sig, come the fateful month of March!
Old 08-25-2003, 08:02 PM   #31
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Showing all three films may make it all feel as if all three movies were one. After all, they were all shot at one "take."<P>Yes. Optimism helps: <B>Frodo lives!</B>
Old 08-25-2003, 08:17 PM   #32
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Ah, all you people are so optimistic! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh, if you only knew <P>You should see me when I go on to the websites devoted to Oscar predictions and things like that: I am a nervious wreak. As an avid fan of the Oscars my entire life, I have never wanted a film to win so badly. I just think it deserves it. These films are going to stand the test of time, and the academy has made mistakes by not honoring some of the most famous films of the past, so I am trying my best to make sure that they don't make a mistake by overlooking these ones.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:32 PM   #33
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>As an avid fan of the Oscars my entire life, I have never wanted a film to win so badly. I just think it deserves it. These films are going to stand the test of time<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I could not agree more, <B>Gorwingel</B>. <BR>These films may well end up being the trademark of a generation, in much the same way as the Star Wars movies. (only without the lame sequels- off topic, sorry.) <BR>*sigh* I don't know that I could bear to watch the fantastic team that Peter Jackson has pulled together -cast, crew, and all- suffer through another mere <I>nomination</I> for Best Film.<P>I know, rewards aren't everything... but that doesn't mean they are nothing.

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-29-2003, 05:09 AM   #34
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Cold Mountain...hmmm, that has nicole kidman in it who lately has been an oscar magnet... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hehe, i know and shes an aussie. (waves flag) but that would only be in best actress, if she did, i havnt seen Cold Mountain yet so i cant judge, i dont think Mira will be up for a best actress as Éowyn.. (another aussie) But jeez, so many make up the cast. <P>To put it one way.. If i was one of the cast from LOTR, and i was up against my cast and other actors/actresses, i would rather one of us got it than another person.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 08-29-2003, 06:55 AM   #35
Idunn
Pile O'Bones

Idunn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really can't understand why all you want ROTK get an Oscar award so much. Who can say what kind of film it will be? The previous parts got awards only due to technical reasons, which for me is not enough to be considered the best film of the year. But bearing in mind that Titanic won just for being visually spectacular, it gives hope for ROTK, whatever quality it will have, if it will deserve it, or not. The previous parts shouldn't be taken into account while regarding the quality or fairness of ROTK getting an award, because they were released as separate films and had their chances(though TTT was a strange film itself - neither beginning, nor the end). All in all, it's just pure speculation, and sentiment and value of the book has nothing to do with films based on it.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:36 PM   #36
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> and value of the book has nothing to do with films based on it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I will venture to disagree with that, if I may. The Return of the King is my favorite of the books, and I trust that it will be my favorite of the movies, too. ROTK is the most exciting, most emotional, most dramatic and most pivotal part of LOTR. No matter what anyone else says, PJ and co. have done an exceedingly good job on the other two movies, and will no doubt do even better on the third. Several of the actors have already said that ROTK is going to be the best (Elijah Wood says that it will be better than the other two combined, which I firmly believe, and Sean Astin says that the best work in he's done in his entire life is in the third film, which is saying something, and which I very much look forward to seeing. )<P>So I don't think there's any doubt that <BR>ROTK will be the best. But the main reason that most of us (I believe I'm speaking for most everyone on this thread, if not I apologize) want to see ROTK win many many Oscars, or at least Best Picture, is that we believe that LOTR as a whole deserves the awards, and what better time to get them than ROTK?

Old 09-24-2003, 11:58 PM   #37
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

I just wanted to freshen this topic with some very good news...<BR>The academy just announced the host of the Oscar ceremony this year (this sounds completely off topic, but it is not) and back for another round, is the best Oscar host (in my opinion), Billy Crystal!<P>Now why this relates to LOTR is because one of the things that he is extremely famous for while hosting the awards is doing a montage where he places himself in the nominated films, and does very funny things. The best year that he hosted was the year that Titanic was nominated, he placed himself in all the most famous scenes (the drawing scene, most noteably) and additonally sung a song about the charaters to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme song!<P>Now personally in my opinion, the LOTR films offer plenty of wonderful comic material that the last few hosts have not taken advantage of. Mr. Crystal is a person who really knows how to take advantage of it. So I think it is going to be a really great and funny show. I am going to leave you with this one last tip though... Don't miss the first part of the show, it is most likely going to be really good, and have an ode to LOTR in some way (Because we all know ROTK is of course going to be nominated )