The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2002, 10:34 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *TTT - Saruman (Christopher Lee)*

What did you think of Saruman and Christopher Lee's portrayal in this movie?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 03:46 AM   #2
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, he didn't get much screen time, and what was there was pretty much Christopher Lee doin' his thing. <P>What strongly bothered me was his reaction as the Ents attacked and destroyed Isengard. He just kind of bobbed back and forth on the balcony, like some guy trying to figure out why his car alarm was going off. <P>I mean, everything he had worked and planned for was going up in smoke - or down in water - and there's not a peep out of him. I would have expected SOMETHING. A little ranting, railing, and lamentation would have been nice. Perhaps a few counterspells or fireballs thrown at an Ent or two. But no, he just stands on the balcony, bobbing back and forth. <P>Ya missed a golden opportunity there for some good scenery-chewing, Mr. Lee.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:01 AM   #3
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Car-alarm? Agreed - but in some way it does fit in, the reaction I mean
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 06:50 AM   #4
morima

White-Hand

I agree with Birdland. In the book he activates his precious machinery from within Orthanc, and kills several ents; I mean, at least, he tried to defend himself. He didn't do nothing here. Also, the whole thing with the ents are really shortened down in the movie; in the book, a whole army of ents go marching to Isengard and use several days on damming up the Isen and ruining the stone ring. I wish PJ had shown that, but still, I guess he had to shorten down something.<P>Let's hope Saruman shows some reactions when he meets Gandalf and the others in the next movie. Christopher Lee is doing a good job anyway!
Old 12-18-2002, 12:01 PM   #5
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

This was a really good acting job.<P>It was really cool when Saruman was yelling and getting the orcs all riled up. just seeing the HUGE army was creepy. Yet all he had to do was raise his hand and they were immediately silent.<P>So, I've heard that Tolkien hated industrialization, right? Well, maybe he embodied this in Saruman. Some of his lines (I forgot which ones) are all "Yay we love industry and machines. Living things are useless," (except to burn for fuel) <P>In answer to your inquiries, everything was going so well for our favorite little evil Istari. But all of a sudden he's caught by surprise, with very few minions to protect him and some giant tree things destroying his "wonderful creations." I'd be in shock if I were him!<p>[ December 18, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 01:59 PM   #6
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No throwing the palantir out the window? No taking of Saurman's staff by Gandalf? No "rag tag" band speech?? Did they move this to RotK?

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 02:08 PM   #7
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dűm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

They must've moved it, 'cause you really, really can't leave that out..! The palantír being thrown out, Pippin looking into it and then being brought to Edoras is *slightly understates the next word* <I>important</I>.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:54 PM   #8
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

They haven't confronted Saruman yet. I bet it was moved to RotK because of time, and they probably did not want to rush such an important part. <P>Theory: I think Saruman will be killed at this confrontation since there will be no Scouring. And since there will be no Scouring, there will be no reason for Saruman to be alive after the confrontation. Hey! I think I'm on to something! <P>*runs off to read some more of TTT *<p>[ December 18, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 04:18 PM   #9
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hallo <B>Birdland,</B><P>* bows an amiable conversational greeting *<P>In the Overall Impressions thread, you and I agree to the utmost degree. Regarding Saruman, however, we each take quite an opposite view.<P>For Saruman to be driven to impotence and irrelevance is the cruellest punishment he can suffer in Middle Earth. Or perhaps, the second cruellest. First cruellest being, Saruman's powerlessness being made known publicly.<P>Had there been ranting, railing, or lamentation, launching devilry-laden missiles of fire, forged metal, or fell voice ... that would have shown Saruman still hanging on, able to convince himself that all he had worked and planned for was not yet completely lost. <P>When the power of persuasion meets up against a larger and more powerful contrary reality, only fitting that the tongue of enchantment fall silent, that the confuser bob about confounded.<P>Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 12:17 AM   #10
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Perhaps I have been overharsh Gandalf. Saruman was literally "brought down to size" in the scenes of the storming of Isengard. <P>However, I wonder if P.J. was trying to show the impotence of the character, or just wanted to make sure we saw all his cool special effects. I do have to admit that the waters rushing around the Ents was beautiful.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:16 AM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

He got very little time. Plus, it was never shown how he treated Grima so cruelly.<P>But what he did get he got spot on. It's Christopher Lee, man, it's not going to be bad.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:29 AM   #12
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good morning, Bird. <P>I loved the flood scene too. (Waterloo?)<P>Thanks for answering, for your further reply makes it also easier for me to more fully explain. (I've felt my previous answer to you to be lacking, actually.)<P>To my mind, whether PJ was consciously trying to show Saruman's impotence or not ... in this he richly succeeded ... it was as if he had read "Unfinished Tales."<P>For having read the section 'Concerning Gandalf, Saruman, and the Shire' in "Unfinished Tales," I could feel the emotional depth of Saruman's defeat wash over me as that gushing flood of undammed damning water with an almost tangible, palpable strength, just by glimpsing the cowed dimness of his pacing posture for half a moment.<P>When Saruman is silent, it shows his vulnerability:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Yet he dreaded lest this should be discovered, and his own mockery turned against him, so that he would be laughed at ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>and<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>After that Saruman went no more to the Shire, fearing that such tales might spread ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The above quotes, interestingly enough, have to do with Saruman's publicly denouncing Gandalf's use of pipeweed while privately coming to use and enjoy pipeweed himself ... And pipeweed being one of the spoils which turns up after the Ents storm Isengard (at least in the book version of LotR) thus inclines me to see a connection. Couple this with Saruman's famed strength as a wizard being his ability to seduce his listeners with speech, and his inability to utter a word at his downfall speaks volumes.<P>* bows a friendly bow *<P>Gandalf the Grey<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 01:30 PM   #13
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Good news for fans of fantasy and of Christopher Lee: Meg writes that Lee is to play King Haggard in a new live action movie of The Last Unicorn. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.the-last-unicorn.net/index.htm" TARGET=_blank>Click Here!</A>
Old 05-27-2003, 01:38 PM   #14
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Today, May 27th is Christopher Lee's (Saruman) birthday! Christopher Frank Carandini Lee was born on May 27th 1922 in London, England. That makes him 81 today! Happy Birthday Christopher!
Old 05-27-2003, 03:12 PM   #15
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Happy birthday Mr. Lee.<P>Saruman was terrifying yet highly attractive.<BR>A very good actor.