The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-05-2003, 02:50 AM   #1
willkill4food
Animated Skeleton

willkill4food has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to willkill4food Send a message via AIM to willkill4food
Sting WHo in the fellowship would have tried to take the ring next?

I have a what-if question, what if the fellowship had not been broken, but had stayed together after boromir's passing, then who woul have been next to succum to the evil of the ring and try to take it from Frodo?

Sam
Merry
Pippin
Aragorn
Gimli
Legolas

I personally do not know, Aragorn seems most likely at first, because he is a man, and they desired the ring, and is the line of Isuldir. But he is Elessar, and a Numenorean, so would he been able to hold off from attempting to take the one ring? Maybe it would have been one of the Hobbits, maybe the dwarf would want it, for they lust after treasure, maybe even Legolas would be tempted by the evil...

Who?

-willkill
Old 01-05-2003, 03:08 AM   #2
Durin's Bane
Pile O'Bones

Durin's Bane has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Definetley Aragorn, I know it seems obvious but when you narrow it down who else would it be... this is the order it'd go in to be the first to take the ring

-Aragorn
-Pippin
-Merry
-Gimli
-Legolas
-Sam (definetley a charecter of youth and wisdom)
Durin's Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 03:28 AM   #3
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, Aragorn was going to war, and could win with the Ring. But he was the wisest of the fellowship after Gandalf died, and showed his great power of will when lookin into palantķr. So I believe that he could be even the last one who tries to take it(save Sam, maybe).

Maybe.. Gimli? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 03:57 AM   #4
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Are you referring to Galadriel's statement in the FOTR movie that "one by one it will claim them all?"

As for the books, I think Boromir was the only one who would have desired it. Merry, Pippin and Sam all went along for love of Frodo, I don't think they would have been selfish enough to want to take it off him. Aragorn and Gandalf were wise enough to perceive the Ring as an object of evil. Legolas didn't have enough personality to want to take it, and over Dwarves the Rings of Power did not hold sway as Sauron had thought they would. The One was never said to have brought great wealth at any rate, if you think Gimli would have taken it out of greed.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:32 AM   #5
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dūm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Legolas didn't have enough personality to want to take it
No but he might want it to make he realllyyyy pretty. Remember that Legolas was in a similar, if less extreme situation as Boromir, his land was in danger and could fall as soon as the Dark Lord wanted it to. He could have decided he wanted the ring for Thraduil (sp?). So dont discount Legolas just because he is a bit of a ponce.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:47 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Opinion topics such as this are placed on the Novices and Newcomers forum. Please continue to read and post on this thread there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 09:12 AM   #7
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i dont think aragorn would have. Maybe one of the hobbits, merry and pippin. or gimli or legolas
Old 01-05-2003, 10:02 AM   #8
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm. That's a pretty tough question. Here's my list:

Aragorn
Pippin (probably out of curiosity)
Sam (if he felt it was getting to be too big of a burden for Frodo)
Legolas
Gimli
Merry
Old 01-05-2003, 01:11 PM   #9
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't believe Aragorn would fall prey before the elf or dwarf would. Neither of them were a match for Aragon's wisdom, will, lineage, or knowledge of the One Ring.

Also, judging from the Bagginses time of possession, and from Sam actually being able to give it back to Frodo after he found out Frodo was alive (and he even wore it!)- the race of halflings seems to have a healthy resistance to the power of the One Ring.

And remember that as the One Ring drew nearer to Barad-dur, it's pull and weight over the bearer increased, so eventually they would have all been affected, IMHO of course [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Here is my guess at how they would fall:
Gimli
Legolas
Aragorn
Peregrin
Meriadoc
& Sam would NOT falter, as he proved in RoTK!
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:25 PM   #10
Weber
Animated Skeleton

Weber has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Weber
Sting

heres my list:
Gimli
Aragorn
Legolas
Pippin or Merry
Sam (only if Frodo died or something likeafter shelob)
Old 01-05-2003, 01:39 PM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

It would have had them all eventually because Sauron was so much more powerful. I think Aragorn would put up the greatest resistance, followed by Sam. Though Sam would be likely to take it out of pity.

The other 4 would have fallen sometime, probably Pippin first I'd say.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:00 PM   #12
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Yavanna Kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn would be the last on thelist. He would have taken it only to finish the Quest.
Legolas would take the ring from Gimli after he got Galadriel. He would use this power to try to escape his fate
Gimli would take it from Sam and would use this new power to have Galadriel.
Sam would have tried to take it back to give to Frodo but used it instead to get his pots and pans back.:P
Merry would take the ring from Pippin to keep it safe.But use it instead to go unnoticed through Farmer Maggots Fields. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Pippin would take the ring from Frodo in curiosity(because he was tempted to look in to the palantir.)

SO there you have it
1.) Pippin
2.) Merry
3.) Sam
4.) Gimli
5.) Legolas
6.) Aragorn]
This is ONLY if I thought they would all fall.
But I tend to Believe that they would have stuck together to destroy it. I have faith in men. I still have faith that if Boromir wasn't always at war with Mordor and didn't have so much pressure on him, and about how close he lived to Mordor he wouldn't have been tempted..so soon.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:19 AM   #13
Charmiel

Silmaril

hi! i'm new here *lol* anywayz..

i think it probably would have been Gimli (even though i lub Gimli, he's funny)

i really don't think Aragorn would try to take it, he dreads turning into another Isildur too much.

Anywayz... cya! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2003, 05:18 PM   #14
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

An interesting question indeed. But there are really two questions: Who would have been the most likely to seize it off Frodo? ... and ... Who would have been the most likely to succumb as Ringbearer.

As to the first, I think none of them. All of the Fellowship except Boromir accepted the premise that the only way to defeat Sauron was to destroy the Ring and that anyone who sought to use it against him would be corrupted by it.

As to the second, this would only come into play if Frodo was killed or succumbed to the Ring (and became another Gollum). Of course, the next best Ringbearer would be one of the other Hobbits, since Hobbits are the most resistant to its powers (as Bilbo and Frodo proved). Most likely Sam, since he wore (and used) it and was able to return it to Frodo. Then either Merry or Pippin. Then probably Legolas, since Elves are likely to be the next least resistant (although Galadriel recognises that she would become a Dark Queen under its influence), and then Gimli. The least likely Ringbearers would be Aragorn and Gandalf (surely we have to include Gandalf as he was one of the nine and came back as Gandalf the White). Both refused the Ring recognising that its power would corrupt them and, as a rule of thumb, best to keep it away from the most powerful, who would become the most powerful of enemies.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:26 PM   #15
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Artalwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Artalwen
Sting

I do not at all feel that Aragorn would be succumbed to the ring's power...in the extended fellowship dvd there is a scene where Elrond tells Aragorn that only he(Aragorn) could wield the ring's power...only if he wanted. And remember, when Frodo asked if Aragorn would have wanted the ring, he didn't take it. Aragorn would be a NO...

....I feel that Sam would have taken it, just to help his 'master'...to help Frodo. But besides that...I don't think anyone would have taken it.
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun."
-verse from a song found in 'The Hobbit'-
Artalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 12:07 AM   #16
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I can't really picture any of them taking it. Good thing they all split up before being put to the test, hmm? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Maybe Tolkien didn't know the answer either.

If I had to pick one, I'd say Pippin, much as I like him. Not out of power-hungriness or out of malice or any of Boromir's "save my people" reasons, but because Pippin has that terrible curiosity that leads him into trouble so many times. Remember how with both the well and the Palantir he feels a "curious attraction" which won't let him sleep until he's tried the thing out. There's no explanation for the attraction, certainly Pippin isn't hoping to gain any sort of advantage from these things, but something in him compels him to do them. Same with the Ring - it's not too hard to picture Pippin, somewhere along, feeling such an insomniac desire just to try the Ring on and see what happens that he actually would try to take it from Frodo, of course with disastrous consequences.