The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #121
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I don't see anything too horribly suspicious about Nerwen, especially her later posts. There's a possibility of Nessa being a *teensy* bit off, but I do *not* want her lynched toDay. I'll probably be back to vote closer to DL.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #122
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
In slight explanation for my defensiveness earlier - I blame teh Real Lifes. It was early. My brain was fuzzy, having not gotten its coffee yet.

Also, RL is to blame for my absence from then 'til now. Terribly busy afternoon/evening. But now that I'm as caught up as I can be...

++ Nerwen

She seems shady(est) to me at the moment. (Terribly sorry if I'm wrong.)
Old 12-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #123
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elronds_daughter View Post
In slight explanation for my defensiveness earlier - I blame teh Real Lifes. It was early. My brain was fuzzy, having not gotten its coffee yet.

Also, RL is to blame for my absence from then 'til now. Terribly busy afternoon/evening. But now that I'm as caught up as I can be...

[b]++ Nerwen[/b*]

She seems shady(est) to me at the moment. (Terribly sorry if I'm wrong.)
Well. I don't have to choose anymore, at least. I'm not tremendously pleased by this, but. As there's really no way to affect the vote now, I'm just going to go with

++Nog

because he looks worst to me.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #124
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Well. I don't have to choose anymore, at least. I'm not tremendously pleased by this, but. As there's really no way to affect the vote now, I'm just going to go with

++Nog

because he looks worst to me.
Fair enough, but I think the Seer should consider checking out that trio I mentioned before.

Now that Elra's voted for me, it's not likely they're all three wolves– I mean, if she's a cub, her packmates would probably have told her, "hey, let's not all three vote for the same person".

Her vote's bad though, even for a newbie– she votes me for what? Poking at her earlier? And yet in the same breath she admits she was defensive!

Now, Nessa was of course in danger then– could Elra have been trying to save her?

I realise I'm not sure whether my role will be revealed on death or not, but anyway all of you who play with me regularly should know you'd never have got me this easily were I a wolf, so I think you may as well regard me as a known innocent toMorrow anyway. That should help.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #125
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Deadline. Stop posting.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #126
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I lent my book out and it hasn't come back yet. I'll edit the scene in as soon as I get it back.

Nerwen was lynched. She was an ordo. And lynching Nerwen is not the way to get on Shasta's good side.

Night 2 begins.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #127
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Wolf 1: Why are we chasing down this ring, again?

Wolf 2: ...Sauron told us to?

Wolf 3: And we're getting paid? In hobbit meat?

Wolf 1: Oh yeah. So who did we decide had it?

Sally: [skipping by] Ring around the rosie, a pocket full of posies, insert joyous innocent laughter here etc...

Wolf 2: [Shrugs] I guess she's as good a target as any.

Wolf 3: So let's chomp her then?

Wolf 1: Sounds good.

Sally: And now for another rendition of - heeeeey, you guys aren't a captive audience at all! I CALL SHENANIGANS!

Wolf 3: Could you call for a waiter while you're at it? We'd like our check.

------------------

Sally has been eaten. She was an ordo.

Day 2 begins.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #128
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I didn't have time to put together a list of youtube links, so you'll have to settle for this one.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 AM   #129
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Ordo Sally, eh? That means the heir-related craziness of yesterday shall continue.

Now, the only person the wolves really don't want to kill is the guardian because then a replacement jumps straight into the same place.

However, they definitely want to kill the Seer, even though another will appear, because otherwise - as has happened - our seer has info on (probably) two people. Just hope dreams weren't spent on Nerwen or Sally.

Will check out Sally later, to see what the wolves spotted; participation will be a bit intermittent while I'm at work.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:54 AM   #130
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Just remember, Lottie, "NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!".
Ha! Couldn't watch those videos until last night - funny stuff. I would say, however, that I always expect the Spanish inquisition.

Didn't really understand my video but I'm sure it was inappropriate.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:31 AM   #131
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, here we go - we are not much further than yesterDay, basically the same question remains. I think it's a matter of time, but the Wolves have effectively won a day, because once again, if we lynch one of them now, he/she would be replaced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
Now, the only person the wolves really don't want to kill is the guardian because then a replacement jumps straight into the same place.

However, they definitely want to kill the Seer, even though another will appear, because otherwise - as has happened - our seer has info on (probably) two people. Just hope dreams weren't spent on Nerwen or Sally.
That's all rather self-evident. I also think that the WWs might try to avoid killing the Hunter, as it poses a threat to them with a replacement for the Hunter - which basically means theoretically, in the best case, trading two dead Gifteds for two dead Wolves (if both Hunters hit the target).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
Will check out Sally later, to see what the wolves spotted; participation will be a bit intermittent while I'm at work.
Curiously, sally wasn't one of the most vocal players, for certain. Looking at her posts, I am somewhat doubtful about whether there was something that the WWs might have considered a sign of Giftedness (most of all, Seerishness). Let's see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
She said everyone should be (except herself and Shasta). Your failure to notice this speaks of a guilty conscience, young Elra. Clearly, you ought to be lynched.
÷÷Elra÷÷
Actually, this isn't a terribly bad catch (except for again, kidding). Let's remember, kids, to NOT GIVE THE NEWBIES A BLOODY PASS. Well, for now, yes, of course, because otherwise we'll never actually get to play with her, but not forever.
If we go with the hypothesis that the WWs killed Sally because they thought she was the Seer, this one could perhaps be considered that: like a Seer speaking about a dreamed Wolf. But that would work only in case LRH was really a Wolf, and even then I think it's somewhat overstretched (the "kidding" remark and all... the Wolves might have seen it as an attempt to cover the Seer's trace, but well...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally
Also, I'm not voting for Dun today, because....well, you just have to keep around the guy with the Harry Potter references (if only because I'm not around to make them myself, boohoo).
This is also one possibility, like that the WWs saw this as a Seerish remark about a dreamed innocent... but that's possibly even more random than the previous.

There is of course sally's vote for Lommy, but sally did not say anything outright Seerish to her vote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Because she seems to me like she is, and I don't think her vote's legit.
And at last, this thing:
Quote:
Also, I'm making this announcement/offer now. If you must, kill me. I'm an ordo and I won't be of much use anyway. No, seriously, no tricks. I don't want to be killed, but rather me than a gifted (although of course if you lynch me and it's not a tie you're going to lose, going by statistics anyway, so do make sure to read up on what happens in a tie, as I don't have time to do so). Anyway, yeah. If all else fails, I'm expendable. I won't be offended if I'm jumped on to save someone else; the village comes first, my own survival second, especially when I won't be around much.
I am really wondering about this one - so would this look to the WWs like sally being a Seer? If anything, a Hunter, I'd imagine, but would they really think that the Seer give herself up in such way, unless they thought she would be trying to bluff in such a way? But it seems a bit overstretched already. And then again, if they'd think sally was the Hunter, I really cannot think why would they kill her.

Summa summarum, if Ron Weasley Hubbard is a Wolf, or if Lommy is a Wolf, then it might be possible that the WWs would have thought "ha, Seer, and a dangerous one, let's get her!" But it is also possible that it was simply meant as a non-trace kill, as sally really hasn't been around much, which I find even somewhat more plausible (the question then rises, however, what would they get by a non-trace kill in a situation where nobody has any trace anyway). Or they are simply "sportish" and killed the one who asked for being lynched...

Quote:
I didn't have time to put together a list of youtube links, so you'll have to settle for this one.
"Due to copyright, the video cannot be showed in your country." Ah well.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 AM   #132
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
"Due to copyright, the video cannot be showed in your country." Ah well.
I assure you, it was nothing worth seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
I am really wondering about this one - so would this look to the WWs like sally being a Seer? If anything, a Hunter, I'd imagine, but would they really think that the Seer give herself up in such way, unless they thought she would be trying to bluff in such a way? But it seems a bit overstretched already. And then again, if they'd think sally was the Hunter, I really cannot think why would they kill her.
You quote a passage where Sally claims to be an ordo and effectively suggest theories of the wolves considering her anything but that. That's incredibly funny, and makes you look innocent and confused because you're ignoring what seems to me by far the most viable option: the wolves believed what Sally said and decided to kill her so as to avoid killing gifteds (ie avoid the heir's power taking effect) and kind of throwing the ball back to us.

Which makes us have the ball. (Wow what a wonderful speech this is shaping to be! ) I'm inclined to follow Nerwen's lead in what she said before she died: we're facing the same dilemma toDay as we faced yesterDay, so we had better accept the grim situation and start hunting wolves. Otherwise the wolves devour us while we wait them to hit the heir first. On the positive side, I think they can't try to avoid gifteds much longer either because basically all the gifteds become more dangerous for the evil side as the game proceeds.

Now I'm off to play Age of Empires II because I just feel like that. I'll be back in an hour or two anyway and then I'll have a proper look at yesterDay.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #133
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
Ouch. Two ordos

Perhaps the wolves went for sally because of her Vote yesterDay?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #134
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Really, I'm insulted by that one. Damage control for whom?
My apologies, it was meant as a compliment on your wolfing skills and as a joke about you always being such an enigma in the end-game. If it offended, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way.

To be honest I don't know what sense voting Nerwen made - aren't weirdness and "unproductiveness" much more usual signs of ordoishness than of wolvishness? I think the voting reasons of everybody in the nerwagon (including myself) are silly, but so were mostly the reasons of other votes. I think the biggest dilemma regarding analysing yesterDay is whether we can use the votes as valid anything or not, because a big part of the village was thinking they might as well vote random...

Ps. Currently suspecting Zil (too happy, for example: "I wonder if an 13-way tie has ever happened before?") and Nog (somehow artificial, can't pharse it better).
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #135
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sorry about that, Nerwen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Curiously, sally wasn't one of the most vocal players, for certain. Looking at her posts, I am somewhat doubtful about whether there was something that the WWs might have considered a sign of Giftedness (most of all, Seerishness).
I think that's a reach. The things you cite as items that might interest the wolves would only have done so if we have an exceptionally jumpy or newbie pack. I'm inclined to think Lommy has the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
You quote a passage where Sally claims to be an ordo and effectively suggest theories of the wolves considering her anything but that. That's incredibly funny, and makes you look innocent and confused because you're ignoring what seems to me by far the most viable option: the wolves believed what Sally said and decided to kill her so as to avoid killing gifteds (ie avoid the heir's power taking effect) and kind of throwing the ball back to us.
Indeed. Sally pretty much begged them to kill her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessa Telrunya View Post
Ouch. Two ordos

Perhaps the wolves went for sally because of her Vote yesterDay?
Which would make Lommy a wolf. However, like I said, I doubt an experienced pack would have seen anything in what Sally said to have panicked them that she was a Seer.

Quote:
To be honest I don't know what sense voting Nerwen made - aren't weirdness and "unproductiveness" much more usual signs of ordoishness than of wolvishness? I think the voting reasons of everybody in the nerwagon (including myself) are silly, but so were mostly the reasons of other votes. I think the biggest dilemma regarding analysing yesterDay is whether we can use the votes as valid anything or not, because a big part of the village was thinking they might as well vote random...
Well, I gave my reasons yesterDay. You're right in that the votes yesterDay were generally even more capricious than usual for Day 1.

Quote:
Currently suspecting Zil (too happy, for example: "I wonder if an 13-way tie has ever happened before?") and Nog (somehow artificial, can't pharse it better).
I wasn't particularly happy, more bemused at the fact that the votes were so spread out.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #136
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
I agree with this scenario - Sally's done the exact same thing before, and anyone who'd seen her do that (including, if I remember correctly, Nessa as well as the usual lot) would recognize that as a genuine offer. So the wolves, not wanting to hit a Gifted, go for the all but confirmed ordo.

Quote:
Ps. Currently suspecting Zil (too happy, for example: "I wonder if an 13-way tie has ever happened before?") and Nog (somehow artificial, can't pharse it better).
Why are you saying everything I am thinking?
Old 12-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #137
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I will more or less have to vote randomly again today as I'm going to be swamped with busyness for the remainder of the week, as I'm needed to moderate for this academic/jeopardy-like tournament area schools are competing in.

So, with my apologies of apalling inactivity and to to the Master Mod. I may be on late may not...

++Lommy

Quote:
This logic just seems all too suspicious, and rather clever. Lommy's in fact pointing attention to the strange Nerwen votes, which she herself was a part of. It looks like an attempt to be fair and reasonable by drawing suspicion on something she did, in an attempt to exonerate herself from voting Nerwen.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #138
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I concur, Boro. Lommy and Legate are both looking a bit unfriendly to me at the moment... Legate mostly because of the completely fallible logic in trying to reason out why Sally got dead. Those kinds of reverse-psychology leaps are just plain weird. But, I may be reading too much into it. (Especially since Lommy herself pointed out how little sense Legate was making.)

But it's still entirely possible that I'm wrong on both accounts.

Last edited by elronds_daughter; 12-08-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: dratted pronouns.
elronds_daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #139
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
This logic just seems all too suspicious, and rather clever. Lommy's in fact pointing attention to the strange Nerwen votes, which she herself was a part of. It looks like an attempt to be fair and reasonable by drawing suspicion on something she did, in an attempt to exonerate herself from voting Nerwen.
I don't really follow this. There's a bit of a jump - that is, we'd have to jump from "she brings up suspicions that could be used against herself" and then manage to make it to "she must be innocent". I don't think we'd make that jump, and I highly doubt Lommy would expect us to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elronds_daughter View Post
Legate mostly because of the completely fallible logic in trying to reason out why Sally got dead. Those kinds of reverse-psychology leaps are just plain weird. But, I may be reading too much into it. (Especially since Lommy herself pointed out how little sense Legate was making.)
And yet, I have a hard time seeing a wolf spend that much time talking about logic he did not use overNight. If he were a wolf, I imagine he'd touch on it, maybe hesitantly point to a possible wolf, but not go into it in quite that much detail.

Examining possible Gifted hints has become almost a habit - and often a helpful one - and someone would probably have done it eventually.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #140
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
And yet, I have a hard time seeing a wolf spend that much time talking about logic he did not use overNight. If he were a wolf, I imagine he'd touch on it, maybe hesitantly point to a possible wolf, but not go into it in quite that much detail.

Examining possible Gifted hints has become almost a habit - and often a helpful one - and someone would probably have done it eventually.
Noted. Like I said, I'm potentially wrong on both accounts... Legate's logic just seemed odd to me. But maybe it wasn't a bad odd and my interpretation is off.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #141
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Quote:
what seems to me by far the most viable option: the wolves believed what Sally said and decided to kill her so as to avoid killing gifteds (ie avoid the heir's power taking effect) and kind of throwing the ball back to us.

Which makes us have the ball. (Wow what a wonderful speech this is shaping to be! ) I'm inclined to follow Nerwen's lead in what she said before she died: we're facing the same dilemma toDay as we faced yesterDay, so we had better accept the grim situation and start hunting wolves. Otherwise the wolves devour us while we wait them to hit the heir first. On the positive side, I think they can't try to avoid gifteds much longer either because basically all the gifteds become more dangerous for the evil side as the game proceeds.
Hmm, it is a tricky one. How many ordos have we left? (I'll count in a minute.)

Should we just accept that we have to hunt wolves or should we perhaps think about lynching our Hunter today? It guarantees that the Heir becomes another Hunter, and it takes a shot at killing someone else at the same time. Could be a wolf, could not; but it's the same chance as getting a wolf as our lynching would be, and it gets us the Heir as guaranteed.

Just thinking out loud here; please judge the idea critically.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #142
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Five ordos left, one of whom is the heir. Surely it won't go back and forth too long.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #143
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Should we just accept that we have to hunt wolves or should we perhaps think about lynching our Hunter today? It guarantees that the Heir becomes another Hunter, and it takes a shot at killing someone else at the same time. Could be a wolf, could not; but it's the same chance as getting a wolf as our lynching would be, and it gets us the Heir as guaranteed.
It'd be better to lynch the Hunter toDay than yesterDay would have been, certainly - we worry less about the Hunter choosing wrongly.

Technically, the Heir doesn't actually need to ever come in play - in the wolves' minds. With three (three? I think three) Gifteds, if the wolves kill off all the ordos, that's it. We either need to hope the wolves accidentally hit a Gifted overNight, or we lynch a Gifted ourselves. The wolves won't take care of the problem for us, at least not if they can help it.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #144
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I will more or less have to vote randomly again today as I'm going to be swamped with busyness for the remainder of the week, as I'm needed to moderate for this academic/jeopardy-like tournament area schools are competing in.

So, with my apologies of apalling inactivity and to to the Master Mod. I may be on late may not...

++Lommy

I don't really follow the line of reasoning here. I thought Lommy was just saying in general that she thought analysing the Day 1 votes would have limited value because most were so ill-reasoned as to seem nearly random. I didn't pick up anything furry there.

Quote:
I might support this, at this point. In addition to giving the chance of hitting a wolf and putting the Heir on the innocent side, there's something else I hadn't considered before: it would also be the only way we'd have of knowing for certain whether a revealed Gifted was legitimate or not, since obviously only the real Hunter will be able to take someone with him. The Heir replacing any other role leaves a lot of room for doubt as to the alignment of the one killed, unless the wolves Night-kill our first Gifted. If that happened, the most we'd know is that the deceased was innocent.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #145
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I might support this, at this point. In addition to giving the chance of hitting a wolf and putting the Heir on the innocent side, there's something else I hadn't considered before: it would also be the only way we'd have of knowing for certain whether a revealed Gifted was legitimate or not, since obviously only the real Hunter will be able to take someone with him. The Heir replacing any other role leaves a lot of room for doubt as to the alignment of the one killed, unless the wolves Night-kill our first Gifted. If that happened, the most we'd know is that the deceased was innocent.
You may be potentially evil, but that's actually a good point.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #146
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Quote:
It'd be better to lynch the Hunter toDay than yesterDay would have been, certainly - we worry less about the Hunter choosing wrongly.

Technically, the Heir doesn't actually need to ever come in play - in the wolves' minds. With three (three? I think three) Gifteds, if the wolves kill off all the ordos, that's it. We either need to hope the wolves accidentally hit a Gifted overNight, or we lynch a Gifted ourselves. The wolves won't take care of the problem for us, at least not if they can help it.
Loslote, I am most happy to assume and believe that our wonderful and clever Hunter is going to choose correctly.

I am going to look at Sally's posts as I didn't have the chance to do it earlier. Not that I doubt the analysis of my fellow villagers but it's always good to check the evidence for yourself. A seer hint is still possible.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #147
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I have only managed to read the rest of yesterDay thus far but I'm going to go back into the thread in a moment. But before that I think I wish to raise a general point about our best interests and some quite suspicious behaviour related to it.

I don't understand why some of you wish to lynch the hunter. If the hunter is lynched s/he will take anyone with her/him. So early on there is a very imminent possibility lynching the hunter will mean losing two goodies with one lynch. If the wolves kill the hunter during the night s/he will not kill an innocent in retaliation but can take a wolf (and we'd gain a new hunter).

So let's hope the wolves get the hunter and not us.

If we need to consider lynching a gifted - which is an option we might face soon enough - I do suggest we go for the ranger (if the ranger is willing to sacrifice her/himself) because s/he is immediately re-installed and the new one can continue in the role.

Obviously the importance of the heir grows every lynching/killing-chance going by. Basically, the later it gets for the heir to jump in, the more decisive that event is.

I'm not sure if we'd need to try that already toDay (needs to do some counting and thinking), but if no wolf or gifted is dead by toMorrow I think we have no choice.

Okay, back to read.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #148
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Nah, I reckon Lommy called it. Good kill from the wolves. Nothing progresses.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #149
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I don't understand why some of you wish to lynch the hunter. If the hunter is lynched s/he will take anyone with her/him. So early on there is a very imminent possibility lynching the hunter will mean losing two goodies with one lynch. If the wolves kill the hunter during the night s/he will not kill an innocent in retaliation but can take a wolf (and we'd gain a new hunter).

Yes, but it guarantees there will be no additional wolf. It gives us a chance of taking down a wolf today (which is exactly the same as a normal lynch would give). All it really does differently is speed up the process of dead goodies, but with one certain benefit as compensation.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #150
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
This is plain crazy.

The wolves don't wish to kill the gifteds and we probably should hesitate lynching the wolves... especially if the game goes on for a Day or two. On the contrary, we need to consider lynching a gifted and the wolves probably hope at least in a half-hearted way that we'd get one of them before any gifted is dead...

This makes no sense.

In a way getting over and done with the heir would be most happy thing and we could start a real game. This just frustrates me. I mean really: I don't know whether lynching a wolf toDay is a good thing, I don't know if sacrifying a gifted is a good idea, I don't know how many ordinaries we can afford losing before the game turns into one where the balance of the whole game hangs on a thread of just good/bad luck with one decision either side makes...
Old 12-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #151
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Yes, but it guarantees there will be no additional wolf. It gives us a chance of taking down a wolf today (which is exactly the same as a normal lynch would give). All it really does differently is speed up the process of dead goodies, but with one certain benefit as compensation.
Lynching the ranger does the "compensation" (that we get the heir: the role of the gifted we lynch stays in the game) as well without the risk of losing two innocents.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #152
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Don't get me wrong though. Unless we have better ideas, let's go for the wolves with all we have. If not for anything else, it's according to the spirit of the game.

The problem - if you haven't thoiught about it - is that if we lynch a wolf we don't know we have done that, and thus we can't make any deductions on the basis of the relations that the lynched "role-haver" had with others + we'll have a "newborn" wolf which are always the hardest to hunt down as you can't use the first Days as basis of trying to figure them out.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #153
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Quote:
Don't get me wrong though. Unless we have better ideas, let's go for the wolves with all we have. If not for anything else, it's according to the spirit of the game.

The problem - if you haven't thoiught about it - is that if we lynch a wolf we don't know we have done that, and thus we can't make any deductions on the basis of the relations that the lynched "role-haver" had with others + we'll have a "newborn" wolf which are always the hardest to hunt down as you can't use the first Days as basis of trying to figure them out.
That's the beauty of killing the hunter, as Inzi pointed out. We would know exactly where we stand.

We don't have that with the guardian, though I accept it would be preferable.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #154
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Quote:
This is plain crazy.

The wolves don't wish to kill the gifteds and we probably should hesitate lynching the wolves... especially if the game goes on for a Day or two. On the contrary, we need to consider lynching a gifted and the wolves probably hope at least in a half-hearted way that we'd get one of them before any gifted is dead...

This makes no sense.

In a way getting over and done with the heir would be most happy thing and we could start a real game. This just frustrates me. I mean really: I don't know whether lynching a wolf toDay is a good thing, I don't know if sacrifying a gifted is a good idea, I don't know how many ordinaries we can afford losing before the game turns into one where the balance of the whole game hangs on a thread of just good/bad luck with one decision either side makes...
I don't know whether Shasta invented this role or just borrowed it, but it's really great!
Old 12-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #155
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Phew, what a day, only got here now, will try my best. So.

First off, I agree with Lommy on why Sally was killed - to find her seerish would have required the wolves assuming a double-bluffing Sally-seer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I agree with pretty much everything she says here, but I also get Boro's point about why there's something off here. It goes without saying that an honest villager can admit to making mistakes. However, the tone reminds me a bit of someone hastily pointing out their own flaws so that others can't do it. But then again, some of the stuff she has said has struck me as stuff a wolf wouldn't want to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer

Just thinking out loud here; please judge the idea critically.
Right now I think that is as good a plan as any. However if we want to do that the Hunter should come out rather soon because European bed-time is approaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog

If we need to consider lynching a gifted - which is an option we might face soon enough - I do suggest we go for the ranger (if the ranger is willing to sacrifice her/himself) because s/he is immediately re-installed and the new one can continue in the role.
Like Inzil said, killing the Hunter has the advantage that we can actually tell what role the Heir assumes. If we go with your plan and lynch the Ranger, there's always the possibility we lynch a false Ranger instead and would never be any the wiser. (Though how probable is it that the wolves want to take the risk and have one of them fake-reveal?) In any case, leaving the Hunter to the wolves would include an assumption that the wolves hit the exact one person they want to avoid of the ten-ish possibilities.

Nog is bothering me a little. Maybe it's just because I don't see his point, but my initial reaction was as follows. A wolf would really object to lynching the Hunter, if only deep inside his furry self. A bold wolf would say it aloud and hope to turn the village around.

EDIT: x-ed with Egg-nog and 2x Eomer
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #156
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Ok. I'm sorta here now. This is really the worst time for me to be playing a game (got 3 exams in the next 4 days, and I work for a greeting card company so Christmas season + Greeting cards = a busy busy me). I'm really sorry!

So I think the Hunter plan is still our best bet. Like Eomer said it still gives us the option of getting a wolf today and we guarantee that the Heir is on our side, and like Inzil said it's the only Gifted where we know for sure who it is, with the other's there's no way of knowing whether they were good or bad.

If we don't get this Heir business out of the way soon we're all going to go mad. Right now we're all trying not to kill a Wolf, and the Wolves are trying not to kill Gifteds, it's all screwy and so none of us know what to do. I think it's worth taking the chance.

I'll try to come back soon!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #157
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Like Inzil said, killing the Hunter has the advantage that we can actually tell what role the Heir assumes. If we go with your plan and lynch the Ranger, there's always the possibility we lynch a false Ranger instead and would never be any the wiser. (Though how probable is it that the wolves want to take the risk and have one of them fake-reveal?)
We will not be any wiser whomever we lynch if that person has a role, but the hunter of course. But lynching the hunter on D2 gives a great probability of losing another innocent - or even a gifted. The hunter would have a 30% chance of getting a wolf against 60% (70%) to kill an innocent, to be exact. That's hardly worth the risk. If we're in this situation tomorrow (meaning only innocents have been killed) I'd reconsider my stance as the odds of getting a wolf (and the desperation of getting rid of this "hanging situation") would be bigger then.

But actually, you bring out a hair-rising prospect: if I was a wolf I'd be more than happy to sacrifice myself. That would guarantee the heir takes the wolves' side and the murky new wolf would be just an ace to their game - not forgetting that we'd be still in darkness about whether I was a gifted or a wolf so nothing conclusive could be said about my interactions with others... So I mean, if they want to do that, they can do it.

Quote:
In any case, leaving the Hunter to the wolves would include an assumption that the wolves hit the exact one person they want to avoid of the ten-ish possibilities.
That's a chance among others. I'm not claiming it would be an obvious or probable choice - but it would be a much more preferable way for the hunter to go than going by lynching.

Quote:
A wolf would really object to lynching the Hunter, if only deep inside his furry self. A bold wolf would say it aloud and hope to turn the village around.
Here I do disagree. If I was a wolf I'd love the scenario where the innocents would take a 2/3 chance to kill an additional innocent. I'd understand wolves being afraid of killing the hunter on D4 (if there was this situation then aka. the heir wouldn't have yet been picked).

EDIT: x-ed with Wilwa
Old 12-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #158
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
Here I do disagree. If I was a wolf I'd love the scenario where the innocents would take a 2/3 chance to kill an additional innocent. I'd understand wolves being afraid of killing the hunter on D4 (if there was this situation then aka. the heir wouldn't have yet been picked).
The way I look at it, fear of the Hunter successfully picking a wolf when lynched is only a part of why the wolves would want to avoid us lynching the Hunter. The bigger part, I think, is that they a) lose the possibility of getting the Heir on their side, and b) lose the advantage of the current situation where they are pretty much safe since we don't really dare to go for them and if we do they gain a new fellow anyway. Not to mention all the distraction and confusion the entire Heir-business is causing.. So yes, the wolves definitely have a reason not to like this plan.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 12-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #159
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. I'm getting even more confused...

I do not think that lynching the hunter is a good idea just because it let's us know who was lynched (or that it gives us a possibility of getting a wolf as well - as the chances are quite thin indeed and the risks are great), but reading Wilwa's post there has a good point: lynching the hunter would get us rid from this nausea and we could start playing.

If we think a 2/3 chance of an additional death of an innocent (including a 20% chance of killing either the ranger or the seer) is price worth paying to get rid of this stalemate, then it might be considered. I'm not sure I'm happy with that, but I'm also willing to get this heir-bussiness out of the way asap.

EDIT: X'd with Greenie
Old 12-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #160
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

On another note - I want to go to sleep like about now. If the Hunter is around and wants to come out, I'd prefer it if s/he did it really really soon. Otherwise I'll just vote somebody I either find suspicious - at this point the ones I have something on are Lommy and Nog (yay for a happy family! ) though they both are productive and I'd feel more like going after a submarine - or a possible Hunter (which would be weird).

EDIT: x-ed with Nog