The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-18-2002, 02:01 PM   #1
Elenglin
Pile O'Bones

Elenglin has just left Hobbiton.
Boots Farmer Giles of Ham

or was it from Ham.. Nevermind.

I wan to know people's opinnions of this children's book, made by JRRT naturally.

If here is already one discussion of this, then I'm just being too lazy to search for it so I create a new one. That's me. i also know that this is an Middle-Earth-forum, but still.. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

But I think that the book was much like The Hobbit, hilarious though. The Dragon was just like Smaug.. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"Apua! Apua! Hän talloo jalkoihinsa sinun lampaasi. Hän on astunut Galathea-raukan päälle, ja se on lituskainen kuin kynnysmatto. Apua! Apua! Hän ruhjoo kaikki sinun pensasaitasi ja hän survoo kaiken viljasi. Sinun täytyy toimia rohkeasti ja nopeasti, isäntä, tai kohta sinulla ei ole mitään jäljellä! Apua!" Garm puhkesi ulvomaan.
Elenglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 08:55 PM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I love it. It is such a fun story. Chrysophylax was my favorite character, with Farmer Giles as a close second.

I have the 50th Anniversary Edition, which has the story, and all of the background information which made it a really interesting read.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:00 AM   #3
Eowyn o Rohan

Shield

I truly enjoyed Farmer Gyles of Ham! It was very funny. I loved how Tolkien could come up with a fairy tale that sounds like it could have been written ages ago, and passed down through the generations, and yet still make it sound fresh and new. His perspective in tales is always fascinating.
Old 03-19-2002, 02:38 AM   #4
Gabo Darvas
Pile O'Bones

Gabo Darvas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Farmer Giles and his blunderbuss! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I've really enjoyed it in my childhood. And it was my first experience and impression of Tolkien's world. Time to read it again! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

(Title is 'A sonkádi Egyed gazda' in Hungarian. Sonka = Ham; Egyed = Giles; gazda = farmer. Not bad but translated too drastically. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )
Old 03-19-2002, 05:46 AM   #5
Elenglin
Pile O'Bones

Boots

hee, Gabo: you're really into this Translating stuff, right? *laugh*

Me too, me too. Unfortunately in the finnish version of FGFH all the names and stuff are the same. The name is Maamies ja Lohikäärme, which is 'The Farmer and The Dragon'. Suxxx!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
"Apua! Apua! Hän talloo jalkoihinsa sinun lampaasi. Hän on astunut Galathea-raukan päälle, ja se on lituskainen kuin kynnysmatto. Apua! Apua! Hän ruhjoo kaikki sinun pensasaitasi ja hän survoo kaiken viljasi. Sinun täytyy toimia rohkeasti ja nopeasti, isäntä, tai kohta sinulla ei ole mitään jäljellä! Apua!" Garm puhkesi ulvomaan.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:49 AM   #6
Elenglin
Pile O'Bones

Boots

AND..

My signature is from FGFH, it is when The Dod of the Farmer saw the giant and yelled his head off, when he tried to wake up Giles. The dog tells to giles that the giant stepped on his cow. Eh. Not that nobody cares.. =^_^=
Old 03-19-2002, 07:24 AM   #7
Gabo Darvas
Pile O'Bones

Gabo Darvas has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I wanted to ask you twice but I've always forgotten... But I recognized Galathea. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] What's the exact meaning of your quote?
Old 01-15-2003, 05:00 AM   #8
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I just read Farmer Giles of Ham for the first time and LOVED it!!! I have to contend with your opinion there, though Kalessin. Giles is a great guy, and I think Garm his dog is a great cowardly and humorous sidekick. The grey mare is very personable, too. Oh, man, there's so many great characters in such a small book!
Quote:
this children's book
Whaaat?! What makes it a children's book? Mills and Boon stories are supposedly for adults, right? The language and story in FGOH is infinitely superior. I think that a lot of adults could enjoy it, and get a great deal of enjoyment out of the skillful storytelling, probably more than most children would.

I was stunned at how many similarities there were to The Hobbit and LOTR. A surly, hated miller, a great Dragon (though reasonable, unlike Smaug the Magnificent), a king trying to reclaim the treasure at the end, and the fortunate addition of rope to Giles' gear. Interesting...
Old 01-17-2003, 11:45 AM   #9
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Oh, such a good story! I loved Chrysophylax, he was great!
Old 01-18-2003, 09:59 AM   #10
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Which stories are inclduing in the Harper-Collins publication-"Tales of the perilous realms"?

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 10:19 AM   #11
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

I agree that this is a story that adults can enjoy, and I like it very much. So much sly humour and wisdom in there!

Tales from the Perilous Realm includes:
Farmer Giles of Ham
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Leaf by Niggle
Smith of Wootton Major

Well worth buying, and if you've read those stories, you might want to look into the "minor works" quotes thread on the Quotes forum...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 12:31 PM   #12
Juliette

Sting

First, hi, I just joined, this is my first post.

I think one of my fav things about FGOH was its setting and the use of English place names. Its one of the best examples of Tolkien's desire to create a mythology for England and works really well.

Bit OT but I also loved Leaf by Niggle. One of the most truely beautiful short stories I've ever read.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:28 PM   #13
Kalessin
Wight

Kalessin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Doug

Quote:
I have to contend with your opinion there, though Kalessin.
You've lost me there, I don't remember stating an opinion. But my personal favourite of those 'Tales from the Perilous Realm' is Leaf by Niggle, which, while in some ways a more formal story, is a very moving and poignant evocation of grace and humility.

I would consider them tales for children in the same way that Oscar Wilde's wonderful fairy tales are, or even The Little Prince by Saint Exupery. That the narrative is accessible and appealing, and in the tone of a story read out loud. And yet these authors bring both conscious and intuitive depth to the narrative, and for adult readers there is a reflective, wistful quality - a poignancy - that has much resonance. There are metaphors too - if not downright allegory. And of course, we can all enjoy the ingenuity and wit [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Stories like this are a validation of the fairy tale as a form, an evolution of Perrault, Grimm and Andersen among others, and an echo of a far older tradition of storytelling. Not necessarily the vast, formal epic myth of Homer or the Ramayana, but the intimate evocation and inter-twining of the mystical and homely in oral cultures from around the world.

Peace [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Kalessin
Kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 12:20 AM   #14
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Go Doug! I love Garm, too. All of his yelps and howls are so expressive; they make me chuckle whenever I read the story.

The blacksmith is a close second. I enjoy the description of his character becoming more and more cheerful at the thought of eminent disaster for Giles.

Also, I think this is where I first came across Tolkien's phrase "terrible and wonderful", which really resonates for me in looking at great tragic literature. For me to really like a great tragic book or play, that phrase must apply.