The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2005, 10:02 AM   #81
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Another moment of mine that I posted recently somewhere else:

Back in the newbier days of my life on the 'downs I got to wondering if anyone else was from Kansas. Being entirely unlogical I decided it would be a 'good' idea to create a thread asking if there were any BDers from Kansas. The only surprise that came from that thread was that there was actually one post on it before the B-W found it & understandable smashed it with a sledgehammer.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:49 PM   #82
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
My most recent blunder would easily be my try at 'Barrowdowns Tag'. Needless to say, it was closed and deleted. It really didn't have anything to do with Tolkien, and that hadn't crossed my mind until someone mentioned it. At that moment, I knew the thread was doomed. (Actually, I kind of had that hunch in the first place, but posted the game anyway. Huh, maybe I should follow my gut and not do stupid stuff. )

Anyway, my new avatar might cause some embarrassment...
Old 08-06-2005, 08:29 PM   #83
solarisa
Animated Skeleton

solarisa has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

still a n00b...*sighs ... .... my embarassing moment(s) is a lesson to all: never use msn messenger style posts. unless you want a mod. messaging you. *throws self in cramped cells, where numerous other embarassed people are )
Old 08-07-2005, 12:24 AM   #84
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

My most embarassing moments: Werewolf VII.

I am crawling under the pile of school readings I have not touched throughout the entirety of my life in Loveland, never to set foot into a Werewolf game again.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 08-07-2005 at 01:53 AM. Reason: elaborating my embarassment
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:23 AM   #85
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Paragraphs single-spaced, indented with the TAB key. I had my Private Messages turned off, so Pio had to explain things to the stupid newbie right there in the Inn. In addition to that, I godmodded somebody. I almost posted a fight scene, until I remembered that fights weren't allowed in the inn. ALL IN ONE POST. Lastly, I named a character in an RP a name from Silms, and I hadn't realized that it was a name from Silm until Pio came over and told me so. Then I made the character use magic that Tolkien wouldn't have written into his stories
It...could have been worse. I mean, you'd be at a push, but hey, it could have been worse

You want to know how it could have been worse? Hey, this is how:

Quote:
ok has ne1 else tried to read the silmarillion?????its soooooooooooo much duller than the hobbit or lotr!i mean ive read like 20 pages and im utterly confused and cant make head or tail of it!is the silmarillion a jewel?*sigh*
lol amanaduial
That...I....there...hmm. There simply are no words. Fordim, I'm in the same boat as you, but hey - at least your crew has discovered capslock. Mine have some kind of grammar-scurvy...

And to cap it all: yes, yes I did start an entire thread just to throw out that little gem of wisdom.

I take the crown.

Shoot me.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:57 AM   #86
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Don't feel too bad, Aman. I'd say the majority of us look back on our younger days with a shudder or two... I do.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:49 AM   #87
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
My worst was when I had only been here for a month or so and I started this thread. When people pointed out other threads that had discussed the issue I was terribly embarrased. Luckly, thanks to Squatter, it turned into a great Mirth thread.

Also, before I had this user name I had signed up as Wilwarin Bluemoon, but had forgotten the user name I used so I just signed up again. But a post I made under that name was just horrible:

Quote:
Actually Lost One there was a friendship between Legolas and Aragorn before the 3018TA because its says somewhere in the books that Aragorn gave Legolas his daggers as a gift long before.
Obviously the part about Aragorn giving Legolas his daggers isn't true. I later realised that I had gotten that idea in my head from a fan fiction I had read on another site.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 08-18-2005 at 12:39 PM. Reason: found another one!
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #88
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Oh yeah, my Wilwarin Bluemoon introduction:

Quote:
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Hey everybody my real name is VANESSA wich means BUTTERFLY wich is WILWARIN in elf quenya, so thats how I got that name and i just thought Bluemoon sounded cool. You can call me wilwarin or wilwa wich ever you like.I love LOTR!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Haha, this is so much fun.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:38 PM   #89
WaynetheGoblin
Shade of Carn Dûm

WaynetheGoblin has just left Hobbiton.
Man you were exciteed when you did that.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:54 PM   #90
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
To manyof my moments are embarassing. But I'd have to say the ones that I'm most embarassed of (yet proud of ) Would be my "Crazy Caption" posts. I don't know why, but I started a little thing of my own, kind of like the Gandalf uncloaked ( ) thing. It started with the picture of Bilbo about to make his speech at his 111 birthday celebration. Here's what my post was:

Quote:
Bilbo: Ten! READY OR NOT! HERE I COME!
That's all it was! Now, I continue with that and so far, all of the my posts for the next few pictures had something to do with that. It's embarassing, but fun!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 11:24 AM   #91
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
hmm. Not that I'm, like, an old timer here or anything, but so far I think it was when I found myself totally thwated by the idea that the "Warg and Warg Rider Application thread" did NOT have an application on it, and I was bound, set, and determined to complain. Fortunately I deleted it soon after.

Every single time I see that thread I get mad...Even still. It's sick. Sick, sick, sick, I tell you, and by Eru I will make a Warg and Warg Rider application out of my "Melkorian" misery.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:46 AM   #92
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I've recetnly had some embarassing moments. Some in the "New Members Introduce Yourself Here" thread and the "Tol-inGaurhoth" thread. They are all due mainly because of me getting lynched in WW. After I got lynched, I went insane, not that I wasn't pretty much alerady there. I don't know, I just lost control. So here also is an apology for my recent stupidity. Hope you can forgive me.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:33 PM   #93
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

You'll just have to live with thy frustration, Valesse. The Warg and Warg Rider Appreciation Thread is perfect. Interesting admission, though.

I had another one of those bear moments in a recent PM to Fea. It wasn't quite as bad as the first one but still. When will I learn…
Old 09-19-2005, 03:35 AM   #94
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I've got a few, but the most embarassing was when I started the About Dwarf Women-thread and Saucie posted
Quote:
It is a little know fact that, unbeknownst to Bilbo, four of Thorin's company were in fact female.
and I, as a newbie, thought that he was serious and sent him a PM which said something like "I don't doubt you, but where's that mentioned. Who were they of the 13?". Having him replying: "It was a joke... = joke" was quite embarrasing...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:24 PM   #95
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I have a new one.

My recent thread that was supposed to analyze Boromir's weekly questions about 'What Would Elrond Do' was snipped by The Barrow-Wight. It's kind of embarassing (but a little funny) to have one's thread publicly stamped 'dumbest of the week' by the creator of the Downs. I feel like an idiot.

Well, I simply wanted to see what other's thought about the question. But, maybe it wasn't the best choice after all...
Old 09-21-2005, 07:14 AM   #96
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Finding out my name is Quenya, not Sindarin.

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:15 AM   #97
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
Well, I have a new one.

My recent thread that was supposed to analyze Boromir's weekly questions about 'What Would Elrond Do' was snipped by The Barrow-Wight. It's kind of embarassing (but a little funny) to have one's thread publicly stamped 'dumbest of the week' by the creator of the Downs. I feel like an idiot.

Well, I simply wanted to see what other's thought about the question. But, maybe it wasn't the best choice after all...
Yeah I felt bad when the Barrow Down came in and stamped your thread out. I thought it was rather funny myself.

Last edited by Kitanna; 09-21-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Kitanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 02:39 PM   #98
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Definitly not my worse, but certainly most recent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucepan man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me (Perky)
Well, for starters we know that Peter Jackson really didn't like The Scouring of the Shire, and didn't include it in the movie.

Jackson is on record as saying that the Scouring is one of his favourite chapters. He did not include it in the films because he did not believe that it would work from a pacing point of view. I tend to agree with him.
Don't know why, but I died a little inside Good think I'm an ent, and I can just drink til i'm healthy!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 02:44 PM   #99
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Don't feel bad, Perky. I was also under the impression that PJ actually disliked the Scouring...
Old 09-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #100
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Quote:
Well, I have a new one.

I rather liked that idea Gurthang. I felt sorry that B-W closed it. At leasat we'll have the Boro's sig to remind us.....
Old 09-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #101
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

A more recent incident for me was when I mistook Oddwen's avatar of her dog for a wolf avatar.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #102
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Misjudging everybody's ages is pretty embarrassing...
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:04 PM   #103
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
And getting a persons gender wrong, especially when you're so certain about it!
Old 10-03-2005, 08:00 PM   #104
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Shield

I confuse Boromir88 and Eomer a lot!!! I'm so mad at myself for doing it so much!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:33 AM   #105
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Misjudging everybody's ages is pretty embarrassing...
Often rather flattering though - I was judged to be nineteen or twenty when I was around thirteen or fourteen. Took it as a compliment anyway
Old 10-04-2005, 03:58 PM   #106
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Try this one. I started the WWJ I thread in the "Quotable Quotes" section!!!! Thanks to Perky, I was able to correct that and BW deleted the thread. Thanks to both of you!!!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:04 PM   #107
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Not my most embarrassing moment but I did pull a blusher (though I didn't) in Werewolf Junior 1.

Fea, the ranger, & I, the seer, had a nice ruse going in which Fea was the "seer" & had "dreamed" that I was the "ranger." The wolves didn't suspect me of being the seer at all & Fea was set to protect me night four (I believe) before I forgot that Fea had "dreamed" of me & brought up the possibility that I was not the ranger. This caused Fea to become suspicious of me & not protect me, causing me to be brutally slain by the wolves that NIGHT.

Fortunately, the remaining villagers puzzled things out on their own & defeated the wolves, otherwise my blunder would be even harder to live down.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:53 PM   #108
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Don't be silly, Estel. You did nothing to be ashamed of.

The whole thing was, without a doubt, Fea's fault. She didn't leave you unprotected because you confused her, though that's what she claimed- she actually did it on purpose just to be cruel. She has a mean streak in her, you know. All of those east-coast girls do.

Just you watch. Fea will pop onto this thread and say something horribly mean to me within the next day or two. Either that or she'll send me an insulting pm.

Don't blame yourself, TORE. The situation was out of your control.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:39 AM   #109
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
Well, I voted for the Feanor in the ongoing Silmarillion Survivor. What I hadn't noticed was that "feanor was burnt to a crisp by Gothmog" the day before.

How could I miss that??? It was after all me who killed him...

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:33 PM   #110
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I think my most embarassing moment(s)>>>plural because I've been doing this for so long, and that still haunts me to this day<<< would have to be calling Mr. Hedgethistle Fordhim, instead of Fordim, for practically the past year until I realized it was wrong.

OR

In WWXII announcing Saucepan as a suspect and he wasn't even a player. That definitely wasn't intentional, though I laugh at this one.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #111
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
In WWXII announcing Saucepan as a suspect and he wasn't even a player. That definitely wasn't intentional, though I laugh at this one.
Apparently I'm rubbing off on some people. Seriously though, great moment Boro!
Old 11-06-2005, 06:49 AM   #112
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
I think my most embarassing moment(s)>>>plural because I've been doing this for so long, and that still haunts me to this day<<< would have to be calling Mr. Hedgethistle Fordhim, instead of Fordim, for practically the past year until I realized it was wrong.
Fret not, Boro...the mistake was the inspiration for Durelin's amusing thread here. Besides, there now exists a Formendhacil and a Nilpaurion Felagundh to keep Fordhim company.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:08 PM   #113
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Oh sweet Eru I was just reading B88's barrow-confession when I noticed how he spelt Ithillien.

Ithillien! I've been saying "Ilithien" for five years now! I've been writing and posting it that way for almost 100 posts now ! Ooooh if you could see my face at the moment you might decribe it as a peach (as I'm fair skinned, so peach is actually pretty red.) I guess I get stressed out easily (or I'm just so obsessed about LotRs that I let something like this bother me) but my stomach is hurting from all this. *Edits posts*

To make matters worse I was just about to post this entire bit in "The Future of the Downs". All is not well in Val-Land.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:21 PM   #114
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

*Tentatively approaches thread*

It's Ithilien by the way. And hey, it's an easy mistake. I kept calling Imladris Ilmadris, before I made up the helpful phrase "nothing goes Ill in Imladris."

And, not really a BD moment, but I guess it's quite embarassing that I only just realised that Ithilien would probably translate as "Moon-land" or some such thing. I do love how things like this suddenly jump out at you, even after years of Tolkien obsession.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:17 AM   #115
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Just found a particularly bad one.

I once started a thread asking what Maia were. My next post on the thread was: "Balrogs were Maia?" It was in The Books section.

Old 11-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #116
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I just posted an RPG post with a signature... wait for it... twice. Despite having read the Rules about twice. Thankfully nobody seemed to notice.

And for heaps of fun, just find "all threads started by user" for anybody and go to the earliest ones. I have some that are particularly cringeworthy and poorly written.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #117
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
OR

and no where neara s bad as the person who wanted to lynch me eventhough I wasn't a player....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:37 PM   #118
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Boromir: In WWXII announcing Saucepan as a suspect and he wasn't even a player.

Along the same lines, I sometimes demand information from a player when they have/haven't done something and they're dead, definitely cringeworthy.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #119
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Maybe this second... the reason this is an edit is becausee it was meant to be a rep...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:00 PM   #120
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
And for heaps of fun, just find "all threads started by user" for anybody and go to the earliest ones.
Quite right, guy.

Most of us did not take as much pride in our posts when we were young wights. It was before we found out how great the Downs was- a site worthy of our best efforts.