The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #41
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
Yes, the best material we could get from a normal day 1 would be hints of collaboration. But I don't think it is only that. I think we can also see something from the "wolf-hints" and how people react to those (as I was trying to do regarding Nerwen's howl), from the way people react to discussions, to accusations etc. that tend to rise eventually when people post seriously. It is maybe not quite as tight evidence of anything, but it is something to start the game with. Which is more than nothing, and should be more than if we'd just all 'act wolvishly'.
Agreed. And I'm probably just not so pessimistic. One just has to try and make people post...

And did people have more reactions to my suggestion on D1, the laying out of it would have been a nice one - and might have given us some hints as the reactions would go -but sadly there were only like so few posts yesterDay the point of it kind of melted away...

Post people, post!

C'mon!
(to sleep now on my part...)
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #42
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
The muffin should do that...
Wait a sec. Wilwa is playing?! How did I miss that?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #43
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*proclaims loudly*

What game of 'Wolf is this, when most
Of all the players do not post?

*turns to stone in the sunlight*
Old 10-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #44
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Wait a sec. Wilwa is playing?! How did I miss that?
Sorry, I meant the Cupcake...
Old 10-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #45
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm very rattled right now over a real life thing which I've just found out is almost certainly going to drink up the little bit of free time I'd intended to spend on this game. It's likely that my activity, which was not that hot anyway, is going to go down, and it's possible I may just have to drop out. I won't drop out toDay, at least. (Is this game cursed or something? Players not showing, and MCR also having real life trouble. Are we going to be most mod-fired game in history?) But if I'm still alive by Day 4 it's likely that I won't be able to do anything more than avoid getting mod-fired, and there is just no way I can be here on Day 5. I'm very sorry. I'll do my best to contribute what little I can, but my mind is not going to be on the game.

That said. *rolls up sleeves*

My impressions so far
Nog: He put a lot of effort into keeping the game going, both yesterDay and toDay. I find it hard to believe that a wolf would be going to those sorts of lengths when he could just sit back and watch nothing happen. That in itself could be a wolf strategy, but eh, I'm inclined to think that Nog is not very suspicious at the moment.
MCR: She seemed earnest and serious. She followed my vote for Rune, but for a different reason than my vote. This might, possibly, have been something she would consider a safe, non-suspicious vote. She's not going to be around much, and that worries me.
Pom: Didn't show up to vote. Seems to have reasonable content to their posts, and I do think the suggestion of looking for wolf-hints is good. Overall it seems hard to get a reading on Pom's posts.
Boro: Only one post, and with fairly little substantive content. I didn't see anything especially suspicious about it. Like so many of us, he's just got to post something more.
Nerwen: Only one post. It's quite likely she was just joking, but if she wasn't...that doesn't necessarily mean that she's a wolf. Pom touched on that point earlier, and I think it's correct. It could be a signal to wolves, but one or two people looking a little bit wolfish would actually be a reasonable, if risky, strategy on the first day, in order to attract the wolves' attention and perhaps get them to waste a dream on an ordo.
Shasta: Has said next to nothing. This is very concerning.
Sally: Likewise. And ditto to it being concerning.

The people who haven't shown up yet: worry me very much. I have no information to go on here.

It's worthwhile to analyse yesterDay's content, but that's not enough, especially as so many players weren't here or active then. Those people must talk. We need a discussion topic. What about trying to think of an overall strategy for the village, or for trying to think of what strategies the wolves are likely to be pursuing? It may not be a good idea to discuss who the wolves are likely to want to kill, though, since they're obviously in a position where their strategy has been ineffective, and we don't want to give any pointers.
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #46
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
To take up Pomegranate's point: as far as giving us something to analyse goes, it doesn't really matter that the wolves didn't all know each other on Day One (as we now know for certain). The usual "find people trying to protect each other" method goes out the window, sure– but, to replace that, we should be able to detect them trying to make contact/plan the kill choice. I say "should": the *real* problem is that there was so little activity yesterDay, it's statistically possible that no wolf posted at all.

On the subject of probabilities and statistics– Coppermirror, the village *always* has to catch a wolf in the first few Days. I have to tell you, new players quite often go through a phase where they tie themselves in knots over this fact, but honestly, it's just how WW works.

EDIT:X'd with Coppermirror.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #47
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
So, some things from yesterDay:

#6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Let's say you are a wolf X and you need to get someone killed by the rules which say there has to be at least two votes for the kill to take place in the first place. So how do you pick your choices when the kill demands others (you don't know who they are) to think the same way? So all the "high-profile" players are more probable to enter their lists as any wolf would pick them thinking the others would think like the same... So not so much strategical discussion but trying to make the same pick other wolves would do (in your opinion). So the "obvious ones" die first.
Note, though, that this is part of an explanation of his previous post (#3), and doesn't, in context, have quite such a "now, here's the plan" look to it.

Pomegranate (#8) responds:
Quote:
Regarding obvious kills. No-traces should be the second pretty obvious group of targets - though, on a second thought, especially if the wolves don't know each other, there is not quite as many traces left by a kill of a loud player than there would usually be. Indeed, agree with Nog about his point on the wolves not being underhanded by the set-up of the game.
Which does have a "here's the plan" ring– to the extent of being a mark against Pom, I think. However, it's also true that the wolves did *not*, in fact, manage to co-ordinate their kill-choices last Night, so... *shrugs*

Last edited by Nerwen; 10-19-2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: EDIT: typo.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #48
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Still nothing from Skip Spence and A Little Green, although it seems likely that A Little Green will show up later. On the bright side, it looks as if all the people here today will vote.

What isn't good is that so far the following people have said very little: Boromir, Sally, Shasta, Skip, and A Little Green. (Although to be fair, Boromir's one post did at least have a vote in it.) That's half of our number. How can we seriously try to pick out wolves when half the village have said so little that we can examine? We can look at the people who have posted so far, on the grounds that Pom and Nerwen and others have been discussing, although even for those the conversation has not exactly been raging away. It's come to the point of having to weigh up the problem of only considering half of the village vs the problem of including the other half as well but having no evidence to judge them by. I have no idea what we should do. Both options are distasteful. I'll try to think about it some more, but for now I've got to go to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
On the subject of probabilities and statistics– Coppermirror, the village *always* has to catch a wolf in the first few Days. I have to tell you, new players quite often go through a phase where they tie themselves in knots over this fact, but honestly, it's just how WW works.
Yep, that must be true. This village is a particularly small one, though, so I do find it helpful to know exactly what the limits we're working with are.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #49
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Another thing I find quite interesting is that, although my "howling" post yesterDay occasioned a good deal of comment, I only got one vote. This suggests that there were indeed wolves amongst those present, and that they weren't willing to try lynching me, just in case.

–It would be nice if this logic worked the opposite way, to clear Boro, since he jumped in and voted me right away– but there is always the possibility that a Borowolf had dreamed me already. And yes: this is reasoning from my knowledge of my own innocence. Sometimes you have to...
Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #50
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Partially I mentioned the obvious kills - the post that sounds like "here's the plan" - to get rid of having only one of that kind of plan posts. If there would've been just Nog's post, I felt like it would only be too obvious for the wolves to follow that logic - however, if they would need to decide between several plan-like things, or if we would've got some proper discussion on the topic, it would be less probable for them to get the night-kill right. And they didn't - whether it was partially due to what I said, don't know, but we should be happy for the extra time.

And Coppermirror, I feel your pain. Cannot just keep shouting "People, contribute", but it's really hard to do anything with just the few of us commenting.

Last edited by Pomegranate; 10-19-2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: x/ed with Nerwen
Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #51
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Ouch. So sorry for the no-show yesterDay! And today I was at work until just now which is why I haven't been here.

Anyhow - there are two people that particularly interest me at the moment, namely Nog and Pom, and their interactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
But my question is, why do you feel the need to bring that up? With a smiley?
Nog gets quite unreasonable with Shasta first, on a post that I read as a completely normal remark (the sort I could easily picture Nog himself making). Seems jumpy.

Now, Nog's point against Pom is the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
Now you say there you doubt the merits of the "plan" because it would "keep us from having something to analyse today and tomorrow", and "could prove to be pretty disastrous". Now thinking that the wolves don't know each other, we the villagers already are in that position that we can't deduce or argue about anything from what happened on D1 as there is (probably) no co-operation by the wolves; which is more or less the only thing we might try to catch normally.

So the question becomes, how didn't you realise that? Now if you were a wolf, that would be logical as there would have been no natural way for you to think about that situation from the POV of a villager - which is very different from a normal game indeed this time - but had only thought of it from the POV of a wolf and thus had not noticed it (probably more busy with a thought of how to find your mates which must be a stressing question to a wolf). That would actually be even more believable explanation if you've been busy and had no time to think this properly...
This is actually a good point (especially for Day 1), regardless of that I disagree with Nog's premise that trying to confuse the wolves by having everyone "act wolvishly" (whatever that means) would benefit the village.

The interaction becomes even more interesting when Nerwen raises the point of the two of them giving "here's the plan" -posts; Pom responds with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom
Partially I mentioned the obvious kills - the post that sounds like "here's the plan" - to get rid of having only one of that kind of plan posts. If there would've been just Nog's post, I felt like it would only be too obvious for the wolves to follow that logic - however, if they would need to decide between several plan-like things, or if we would've got some proper discussion on the topic, it would be less probable for them to get the night-kill right. And they didn't - whether it was partially due to what I said, don't know, but we should be happy for the extra time.
Wait a second - this looks as if Pom was working under an assumption that Nog is a wolf, and yet she doesn't really seem to suspect him.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #52
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
This is actually a good point (especially for Day 1), regardless of that I disagree with Nog's premise that trying to confuse the wolves by having everyone "act wolvishly" (whatever that means) would benefit the village.
Well, it's funny, because when I became aware of what I was I thought...huh probably the best thing I could do to help would be to look like a wolf trying to signal another one, and therefor at least waste one (possible more) of their efforts in finding packmates. I also thought if Nog wasn't a wolf he would try the same, therefor it was a mental check to myself "don't jump on anyone looking wolvish early on, especially Nog. Wait and see what happens."

With my sickly interweb fairies Day 1, I couldn't do that trickery, and I'm not even going to bother with it now. But anyway, I understood what Nog was saying there about everyone acting wolvish, I just think what is the point in saying it right at the start? I mean we all have our own roles and responsibilities, all are going to be different, so play them the way you want, right?

Now Nerwen, I saw it as an obviously sarcastic howl response to Nog saying we should all act wolvish and like we're giving signals to confuse the wolves. I mean it was obvious, and might look like it goes against my "don't immediately jump on anyone," but it was going on after a very limitted hunch, gut-feeling it was a sarcastic howl from Nerwen and trying to prove a point to discredit Nog's "we should all act wolvish" as silly. Considering my pixies are feeling better, and I'm not limitted to a 40-minute lunch break today, it's really not something I'm going to harp on.

I honestly think with how long the sign-ups took and to start now, most people simply forgot and didn't remember. Nothing serious, and certainly nothing malicious about the poorly slow and no-shows from Day 1. It's somewhat good too when you've had a moderately busy and stressful week to see "oh I don't have 3 pages to read through? Awesome."
Old 10-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #53
Pomegranate
Wight

Greenie: I was working under the assumption that there are wolves around that don't know each other, yet need to hit the same targets, and thus would react to an outspoken "plan" - not knowing whether it is from a fellow wolf or just something that someone says out - hoping that either Nog were a wolf and followed his own plan, or if that wasn't the case, that others would pick the same plan as well. I don't know if I suspect Nog, until now I've been just very happy that he's around, but if other people are starting to wake up I'll give him more consideration. I agree with Greenie about him jumping on Shasta, and I'm not sure whether I like his approach towards myself. I'll do some re-reading in a bit and see if that leads to something.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #54
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomegranate
I agree with Greenie about him jumping on Shasta
"Agree"? He did jump on Shasta– no question. I wonder why, though.

And speaking of our resident psychic, I'd say the failed Night-kill points away from him, anyway. I mean, no doubt even clairvoyant wolves have their off-Nights, but still...
Old 10-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #55
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Anyway, I'm going to have to vote shortly, and I've still got little or nothing to go on...
Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #56
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Well, then–

++Pomegranate

Because of what I said before, plus her subsequent explanations seem a little strained, perhaps. Barely more than a shot in the dark, though. I'd been hoping for something a bit more concrete to go on, but I can't hang around forever, so this will have to do.

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #57
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

It is interesting how there seems to be a collective meme around that I "jumped" on Shasta when what I asked from him was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Maybe I have a different idea of what "jumping on someone" means, or something?

Oh, I had to check how that developed: Greenie said I was "unreasonable" and "jumpy", then Pom agreed (!?) with Greenie about me jumping on Shasta and next Nerwen says that I "did jump on Shasta - no question", and wondered aloud why I might have done it...

And all that because I asked Shasta why did he post the comment he posted, with a smiley, that is.

Okay two things on the issue: one general point, and another one as a way of explanation as you clerly haven't understood what I was after in there.

The general point: you can see how nicely suspicions or any kind of memes / talking points spread like wildfire even in a small village - and the connection between the original point ("I was jumpy") can turn totally around ("I jumped on someone") while everybody agrees on the meme itself.

What that in turn implies is either malice (wolves involved) or lazyness (one just parrots what one thought someone else said)... both ways produce loads of innocent lynches.

The explanation point: Now that was Shasta's first post in the whole game, and what he said was sorry for sleeping D1 and then with a quote of what I had said earlier, that he had mentioned the same game-mechanics point in the discussion thread... Now I mean yes, you could make a post like that, sure, whatever your role is, but to me it looked a bit too much like concentrating more to his image in our eyes than trying to do something. And we know the wolves need to take care of that. And I think the smiley made me suspect that post more as it looked like a not genuine gaiety or lightheartedness but somewhat forced...

Well, that said. I was just asking why he posted that. I mean he could have posted something of some substance, any comment on the game, anything, something, but all he did was that. And of course I was hoping for a reaction from him. Sadly that has not come, at least yet.

Which all doesnt mean I think he is a wolf, or my top candidate for lycantrophy either. But when there are only little things going on one must try every possibility to see how people react and what they do when asked things.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #58
Pomegranate
Wight

Haha, I feel that my explanations must seem a bit strained, but I'd like to keep a conversation going and there's not really a lot to say in this game. Where are you people? Yes, yesterday some people might've just forgotten, but now we've had appearances from Boro, Shasta, sally and Greenie, none of them leading to a lot of discussion. This is an easy game to hide in the quiet crowd. The question is, are these the kind of players that would do that? Perhaps, unless they have another reasons for their quietness. It doesn't make a good game, though.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #59
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Question

Bleurgh!

My keyboard has gone partly crazy> I must have hit some queer key/combination *see!( as my special marks come from totally odd keys and some have disappeared totally like _ aka. the questionmark...

Does anyone know what kind of combinations change the keys_

*I\ll try closing the machine first though(
Old 10-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #60
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'm back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Well, it's funny, because when I became aware of what I was I thought...huh probably the best thing I could do to help would be to look like a wolf trying to signal another one, and therefor at least waste one (possible more) of their efforts in finding packmates. I also thought if Nog wasn't a wolf he would try the same, therefor it was a mental check to myself "don't jump on anyone looking wolvish early on, especially Nog. Wait and see what happens."
Ah. I see the point now. I was thinking more about that outlook (and especially talking about it out loud early on) creating quite a sweet counter-argument for a wolf against pretty much any accusation: "I was just trying to look like a wolf to confuse the real wolves!" Which would lead to things getting even more muddled up than they already are, which is why I didn't buy the argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom
Greenie: I was working under the assumption that there are wolves around that don't know each other, yet need to hit the same targets, and thus would react to an outspoken "plan" - not knowing whether it is from a fellow wolf or just something that someone says out - hoping that either Nog were a wolf and followed his own plan, or if that wasn't the case, that others would pick the same plan as well.
That makes sense - but seems like a lot of plotting to go into a single "here's the plan" -post. Was the whole post written just to confuse the wolvsies or were you going to say the content anyway and only formulated it in a wolf-confusing way?

Re. Nog and Shasta: Nog, what I was getting at (I can't speak for Pom and Nerwen) was that I think you grossly overreacted to a completely normal statement. It's like asking why somebody posted "Back now, had a long day at work! " and even added a smiley to the end. Looks slightly like paranoia to me. Then again, one could argue that you need to be paranoid to have any success whatsoever in catching wolves in this game. So, to flip flop like a proper Lommy (someone has to fill her shoes, right?) I don't agree with Nog's point about Shasta but it doesn't necessarily make me suspect him more.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #61
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Also -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
Bleurgh!

My keyboard has gone partly crazy> I must have hit some queer key/combination *see!( as my special marks come from totally odd keys and some have disappeared totally like _ aka. the questionmark...

This cracked me up and then I felt horrible because computer trouble is never fun. Hope you manage to solve it!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #62
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Greenie: Why don't you call this jumpy / jumping on me?
Quote:
I mean it is much more straightforwards, and in a way is even trying to create a vague feeling of suspicion while herself not actually stating anything or committing herself to anything? I mean that does look somewhat suspicious as wolves often do that kind of thing to notch some general memes forwards by just giving them slight punches while not committing them too openly.

I only asked "why did you post that, with a smiley?" I didn't add that "me wonders why he did it, me wonders..." - or add to any pre-existing suspicion or talk of him.

But anyway. This feels like making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm going to comment this the next time only if someone tries to lynch me for it (and then I'd be willing to hear first how anything anyone reads from that question is something a wolf would do in the first place )
Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #63
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Hope you manage to solve it!
Thanks. Yeah, I shot the laptop off and then on again. Darn shortcut -key combinations...
Old 10-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #64
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
This feels like making a mountain out of a molehill.
I agree. The same might also apply to your point about Nerwen, though - I read what she said as simply not understanding your "jump" (for want of a better word) on Shasta, which I find quite logical seeing as I didn't understand it either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
Yeah, I shot the laptop off and then on again.
Freudian slip?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #65
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. I needs be off for a while now.

Hard to say anything with such a low posting game - and it is kind of unfair also that those I kind of feel the most suspicious are Pom and Nerwen who both have contributed by not only posting but also making points.

Coppermirror has posted quite a lot while in the end saying pretty little (as what comes to suspecting anyone) - which is basic good-werewolf -playing or innocent's lack of good points to make.

Boro has had RL problems, but still I think he is too much talking nice (or even defending others) to my taste as that always feels pretty scary. You all know the "love you during the Day and stab you at Night"...

Greenie is more or less the opposite of Boro which should make me feel safer with her. Which is aleways a problem as it is so hard for me not to suspect her (she's both fooled & got me killed too many times). But yes, to begin with I think her more innocent than not just because it would sound mad for a wolf, in this kind of quiet village, to come forwards with suspicions flying. Too much publicity, too many eyes looking at you...

I might even vote for a submarine that is not going to be mod-fired... just to keep those who play around.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #66
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Talking about Freudian slips?
Quote:
Which is aleways a problem
Old 10-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #67
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
No kill last Night and no ranger to stop it...NOw that is either a darn bad luck for the wolves (they managed to post 3 X 3 names without a single one colliding with the other aka. covering 9 out of 10) oer then one or two wolves are really lackluster... Which brings to my mind the idea of lynching Skip Spence toDay unless he doesn't appear toDay when he will be modfired anyway.

But sure this feels like there is at least one wolf - if not two - who are very inactive. Or, like I said, they had a ridiculously bad luck.
Truth. I actually need to have another look at the rules to see precisely how the wolves' kill choice works, because....the odds of them all picking different people are insane. Of course they could have picked each other, but then wouldn't they- no, no, I'm going to read the admin thread later and I shall comment more on last Night's events at that time. In any case, whether by luck or laziness, we have all risen to see another Day, and I shall count this as a blessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
I actually mentioned that on the admin thread, actually.
Actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper
YesterDay was a shambles, with so few posts. We don't have a lot to go on from that. At least with there being no Night kill this time, there's a little less time pressure.

Day 1 - Innocent lynched. Village 7, Wolves 3.
Night 2 - No death. Village 7, Wolves 3.

The worst case scenario from this point on is:

Day 2 - Innocent lynched. Village 6, wolves 3.
Night 3 - Innocent killed. Village 5, wolves 3.
Day 3 - Innocent lynched. Village 4, wolves 3.
Night 4 - Innocent killed. Village 3, wolves 3. Village loses, wolves win.

...Actually, I see I'm wrong. This doesn't give us less time pressure. If there had been a Night kill, we'd simply have lost at the end of Day 3. rather than on Night 4. We have to catch a wolf toDay or tomorrow. There's also a chance that the wolves will kill one of their own, but that chance reduces as time goes on, and judging by the lack of a Night kill, it's reasonably likely that two of them are in contact. Or it could be as Nogrod suggested: maybe at least one wolf is in among the people who didn't show and are at risk of being mod-fired. Statistically there are good odds that at least one of those at risk of mod-fire is a wolf.
Your mathulations make me happy, as it means I don't have to do the thinking necessary to do them myself (because, quite frankly, I have neither the time nor the energy today). However, Wolfphry's Law dictates that whoever can be modfired, will be modfired, and rarely will this help the village. Let's continue to hope that one of the wolves is idle (at this point, is that just Skip?), but let us by no means assume that is the case.

Also, things always look bad, especially in a small village. It both is and is not as bad as it seems. Play the game. Hunt the wolves. Let the numbers speak for themselves as the Days progress and then have a panic attack about numbers. Right now three wolves are not as big a threat as you might think (well, they are, but it's not exactly dire circumstances at this point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper
If some players really are going to get mod-fired, I'm not sure what the best plan is for toDay. There are too many variables here, not knowing who's going to show up. I'd like to be able to work out the odds of whether Nog's suggestion of possibly lynching Skip Spence would be to our advantage.
There are three wolves. If we have no candidates toward Day's end, then fine, sure, let's kill someone who is going to die anyway to in a way buy ourselves more time, but even if Skip is a wolf, he has packmates, and they must likewise be killed. I'd rather go out in a blaze of accidentally nuking the village than to kill villagers in their sleep and hope that we chase out the wolves that way.

Quote:
I've read through the two pages (thank you so much for making this easy on my brain, my darlings) and I don't think this is quite the issue it has been made out to be. Yes, Nog took this a bit too seriously, perhaps, but he's not campaigning to kill Shasta because of that comment. Let us ignore that exchange for at least the moment and concentrate on other things. Mountains, molehills, and soon, murderous- oh, never mind, Nilp's not playing, so there's no use in being blissfully masochistic. *grump* Still, let's take this easy, at least for toDay.

Quote:
Because he's Nog and, bless him, he can overthink things quite easily. I call no harm on this once more and am now moving on from it. However, this is a prime opportunity for someone to slip in and either side with Nog or try to paint him a villain for jumping on my starry-eyed darling. If this talk does continue, I'll be keeping a much closer eye on those involved.

Quote:
Bleurgh!

Funniest thing I've seen all day. ^_^

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I shot the laptop off and then on again. Darn shortcut -key combinations...
RED LIGHT. RED LIGHT. RED LIGHT. Or, you know, typo. Still hilarious though. (Tell me. Did you shoot the battery?)
Old 10-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #68
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

So there's only one vote, and it's for Pom? And DL is in a bit under an hour and a half? Oh, cupcakes. This is going to get crazy....
Old 10-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #69
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
Boro: I feel a bit doubtful about his lack of internet leading to long enough, yet unsubstantial post - you had time to go through us all, but not go through what had been said? Then again, there was not a lot to analyse, and Boro both brings up the case against Nerwen and votes for her, which raises his points in my head since it is a relatively valid point (as much as anything is valid on day 1) and thus he risks the lynching of a potential pack mate. Then again (again), there's nothing that will make me trust Boro anything more than a bit :P
And that's the way I like to keep things, one you can never trust nor be comfortable with for any extended period of time.

Of those posting and participating more actively than myself, I really have no desire to vote for to lynch today. It's hard to want to lynch those contributing on vague misfeelings when there is a good crowd of quiet. I mean we all hang on our words and actions eventually. Eventually the chatty wolf has to lie or give red herrings when they're words (posts) don't match their actions (votes and night kills).

At this point with very little in the way of words, and even less in actions, I don't like the prospect of lynching anyone who is being active.

Looking at the limitted actions..Rune and Nog voted for Pom. Rune is dead proven innocent. Nog's reason to tie and see which one the rest would do, or possibly save, but unfortunately no more votes after. Copper and MCR both voted Rune, and look reasonable enough. He had at that point made 1 post and basically repeated Nerwen.

So, it seems ever more likely I will vote for someone who have been less active than me...Shasta, sally, Skip...if any of you are around, please start adding, something. Anything.

Edit: crossed with sally...well yes, that qualifies as "something."
Old 10-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #70
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
*proclaims loudly*

What game of 'Wolf is this, when most
Of all the players do not post?

*turns to stone in the sunlight*
This being Gal's only post? Extremely disconcerting. There's not a promise of "I'll be back later" or even the slightest hint of her feelings/suspicions. I do believe she's said she'll be busy for the duration of the game, but this....this seems almost like calculated avoidance.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #71
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
So, it seems ever more likely I will vote for someone who have been less active than me...Shasta, sally, Skip...if any of you are around, please start adding, something. Anything.
Oh, my sweet Boro, what have you done? You seek to harm me? I am stunned into (or rather, out of) silence.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #72
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
This being Gal's only post? Extremely disconcerting. There's not a promise of "I'll be back later" or even the slightest hint of her feelings/suspicions. I do believe she's said she'll be busy for the duration of the game, but this....this seems almost like calculated avoidance.
Gal is not playing dear. I assumed that was just a bored haunting wight shouting and releasing frustration for not having much in the form of amusing to read and alleviate deadly boredom.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #73
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Gal is not playing dear. I assumed that was just a bored haunting wight shouting and releasing frustration for not having much in the form of amusing to read and alleviate deadly boredom.
ARE YOU SERIOUS? *checks* Ugh. I am just beyond fired now. I had my player list beside me and everything and still didn't realize- Let us never speak of this again.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #74
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
Talking about Freudian slips?
Nog is being way too entertaining toDay!

Ahem. To business. First off, Sally comments in great length on a discussion she thinks is not really relevant, which strikes me as funny. I mean -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
I've read through the two pages (thank you so much for making this easy on my brain, my darlings) and I don't think this is quite the issue it has been made out to be. Yes, Nog took this a bit too seriously, perhaps, but he's not campaigning to kill Shasta because of that comment. Let us ignore that exchange for at least the moment and concentrate on other things. Mountains, molehills, and soon, murderous- oh, never mind, Nilp's not playing, so there's no use in being blissfully masochistic. *grump* Still, let's take this easy, at least for toDay.

--

Because he's Nog and, bless him, he can overthink things quite easily. I call no harm on this once more and am now moving on from it. However, this is a prime opportunity for someone to slip in and either side with Nog or try to paint him a villain for jumping on my starry-eyed darling. If this talk does continue, I'll be keeping a much closer eye on those involved.
Both myself and Nog had already dropped the issue at this point. The talk does continue only since Sally took it up again, which makes no sense if she really finds it irrelevant. Makes me raise an eyebrow or two.

Secondly, Boro is being rather noncommittal which worries me. Nevertheless, I can sympathize with him (and Nog) on not wanting to vote for anyone who contributes. Although at least in my case the problem is that I don't really suspect anyone who doesn't!

EDIT: x-ed with 2xSally, Boro, and a third Sally
Old 10-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #75
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

I should vote soon.

Out of the people who have been posting, the one I have the most suspicion of is Pom. However, that's not based so much on the actual things that have been said. It's an overall impression, and actually, a lot of the things that are supposedly suspicious about things Pom has said don't seem to stand out as suspicious to me. So...no real evidence, but a gut feeling. In a situation where Pom is one of the most active players, has been contributing to the discussion, and seems to generally make good points. I could vote for Pom, even though it would feel unfair.

Or I could vote for someone quiet. Like Nog considers above, there is the option of voting for someone who's going under the radar but is not likely to be mod-fired. That would mean Sally or Shasta. I have nothing to go on with them at all. But...are they going to make it here in time to vote toDay? If they don't, won't they be mod-fired? If they do, there should at least be their voting record and any reasons they might give for their vote to look at the next Day. But unless their content picks up, they'll still be submarines.

Cross-posted with lots of people.

Last edited by Coppermirror; 10-19-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: cross-post
Old 10-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #76
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
The talk does continue only since Sally took it up again, which makes no sense if she really finds it irrelevant. Makes me raise an eyebrow or two.
Meh. I was commenting as I went along (having gained the benefit of my prior skimming before I read through for that post) and just knew there was more said on the issue. I do believe I said more than needed to be said on a subject that wasn't actually brought up as much as it initially seemed.

More importantly, how many eyebrows do you have, dear?

EDIT: x'd with a reflective Coppermirror
Old 10-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #77
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
ARE YOU SERIOUS? *checks* Ugh. I am just beyond fired now. I had my player list beside me and everything and still didn't realize- Let us never speak of this again.
No? I was thinking of reminding you of it... every day... for the next fifteen years...
Old 10-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #78
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Here and reading. Two pages shouldn't take too long.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #79
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Meh. I was commenting as I went along (having gained the benefit of my prior skimming before I read through for that post) and just knew there was more said on the issue. I do believe I said more than needed to be said on a subject that wasn't actually brought up as much as it initially seemed.
Hmm. That doesn't really make me feel any better about you, if not worse either. There's still the question of, if you thought a certain conversation is futile and a waste of the village's time, why comment on it at all?
Quote:
Also, how many eyebrows do you have, dear?
For future reference: five.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #80
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Secondly, Boro is being rather noncommittal which worries me. Nevertheless, I can sympathize with him (and Nog) on not wanting to vote for anyone who contributes. Although at least in my case the problem is that I don't really suspect anyone who doesn't!
Good luck finding a guy who does not have some type of commitment issue.

No, but seriously, while yeah noncommital, I could be committed to vote for anyone, except maybe Copper, at this point...if that makes sense? Currently my suspicions would be either completely rhetorical or ad hominen..."you're a wolf aren't you? Yes. You are, don't lie!?" Which would only aggrivate and give headaches to everyone. Try as I might not be a pushy, confrontational stickwad, we should all know it will happen at some point. But I try really hard not to be, because there is the expectation I be highly aggressive and prodding...at the same time it's emotionally taxing. And I just haven't felt like making that investment yet. It will come, usually if and when the situation gets direly desperate it comes. But until then I just try not to be a douche that winds up lynching the seer.

I don't see how it would do any good, but suppose it is more chatter, which is definitely needed. Something seems off with Pom's behavior and posting. Even the "Yeah my posts are strained" was weird, because then she pivots to griping about the limitted posts again.

And Nog is definitely paranoid, but as sally said...it is Nog.

But considering these two had been the most contributing so far, I didn't want to bother with vague feelings of offedness, just have a mental note to watch and wait. Since, as I said, I'm a firm believer the chatty wolves all hang on their wolves and actions at some point. But if they're chatty innocents than it's not worth losing them early on, especially with a relatively substantial "under the radar" group.

Edit: crossed with Greenie a few times and Shasta

Last edited by Boromir88; 10-19-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote