The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #841
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Excellent!

I have the first three CDs, which I greatly enjoy (see music reviews)-- there are a few songs which I consider clunkers, but also some which I consider straight from Rivendell or Lorien...

I guess I'd better get serious about buying the fourth CD! I'm especially eager to hear "Legolas' Song of the Sea". Esty, when you do get around to listening to that track, *please* review it in "Music Reviews." Thanks!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #842
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Tolkien Oooo....

Nice find !
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:18 PM   #843
Parmastahir
Wight

Parmastahir has just left Hobbiton.
August Website Update

It has been a while since I posted. Hope everyone's summer is going well.

I have updated the Calendar of the Month feature on my website. This month's calendar is a particular favorite of mine as I noted on the website. Please stop by! As always, am very interested to hear from you if know of or have any "new" (previously uncatalogued) calendars.

Away from the Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Old 09-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #844
Parmastahir
Wight

September Website Update

Hi All -

Wow, things are quiet on this thread. I was the last to post in it a month ago! In any case . . .

Have not catalogued any "new" calendars although the 2007 HarperPrism is out. So will add that one eventually. I did post a new Calendar of the Month for September. Hope everyone's summer was great.

Away from the Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Old 09-30-2006, 08:34 AM   #845
Parmastahir
Wight

October Calendar Website Update

Fall is officially here. Hope everyone enjoys the season!

Added a "new" (previously uncatalogued) calendar to the website (1991 Laurin/Hamburg). Also updated the Calendar of the Month feature for October. You may check them out at:

www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

As always, I would be pleased to hear from fellow collectors.

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Old 09-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #846
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Eye

Recently acquired:
A new string for my 30lb/28"dr longbow, which means I can shoot it again now, hooray; and
A recurve, with a 35 lb draw.
Can't hold that draw very long...
Old 11-05-2006, 08:46 AM   #847
Parmastahir
Wight

November Website Update

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature this morning. Won't spoil the surprise by telling you which one. You'll have to visit:

Will soon catalog a rather unique 2006 Advent calendar (has Shire coins in it rather than candy!) Best to all.

Parmastahir
Old 12-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #848
Parmastahir
Wight

December Website Update

Added some calendars in November and updated the Calendar of the Month for December. Hope you enjoy it!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Parmastahir
Old 12-22-2006, 03:28 AM   #849
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Speaking of collectibles....

I have been poking fun in the "Coming of Age" thread at the fireplace formerly belonging to Tolkien, which is now available for a mere 250,000 pounds. But I have to admit that I would have loved to scrape up the $20,000 for this one on e-bay, if only to turn around and donate it back to the estate:

Original manuscript of Bilbo's Last Song for sale along with the accompanying painting by Pauline Baynes.

I have a very battered poster which is a copy of that painting, and it has to be my favorite illustration of the final scene in the book...in fact, one of my very favorites of all the illustrations from LotR. There is something so soft and gentle about that depiction of Frodo's departure from the Havens with his friends standing poignantly on shore.

It's funny, but my own view is very different that that of the seller. He moans about all Tolkien's manuscripts that are "locked away" in Marquette and Oxford, and rejoices that this one is on the public market. However, my feeling is just the opposite. I wonder if these manuscripts or the painting will ever see the light of day again, or if they will be permanently squirrelled away in someone's private collection.

I have often wondered how the family felt that so many of Tolkien's manuscripts were negotiated away across the pond to Marquette rather than being kept in the UK, which is ideally where they belong. (I say this as a "Yank", and I have similar mixed feelings about the vast number of Egyptian antiquities floating around in both the U.S. and the U.K.) I wonder how this treasure ended up in the hands of what seems to be a U.S. dealer? Perhaps it was sold by Joy Hill's heirs. It's also interesting that Peter Jackson wanted to have this poem sung by Annie Lennox at the end of the movie but was unable to do so, since he lacked proper copyright clearance.

Rather somber thoughts for the Mirth forum, I admit....

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 12-22-2006 at 03:32 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:46 AM   #850
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'm happy to have added three audio versions of Tolkien's works - Hobbit, LotR, and Tales from the Perilous Realm, all BBC productions - to my collection. What a great Christmas present!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:51 PM   #851
Parmastahir
Wight

January Tolkien Calendar Website Update

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

I have reformatted my Tolkien calendar website in an attempt to make it much less cluttered and easier to use. In addition, there are many new additions (2007 calendars and several new discoveries) and a new Calendar of the Month featured for January. Hope you all enjoy (and use) it!

Parmastahir

Old 01-21-2007, 06:01 PM   #852
Parmastahir
Wight

Another Tolkien Calendar Website Update for January

Hello to all -

Hope your January is going well.

Added society listings for the Tolkien's Ring and Shire Post groups to the website this weekend. Even small societies can issue calendars if they are active and motivated!

Ordered a new one from Tolkien's Ring, and I hope to add a rather rare one to the list soon.

As always, I very much appreciate the support of the many people (here and other societies, fellow collectors) that has taken my personal quest to where it is today!

Parmastahir
Old 01-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #853
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I recently bought some of Michael Tolkien's books off a dealer who purchased his library on his death. Its a six volume set of Gibbon's Decline & Fall of the Roman Empire. Each one has a bookplate with Michael's name & the words 'From Father' on them. The date on each is October 22nd 1959 - Tolkien's present for Michael's 39th birthday.

I know Lal has mentioned this acquisition before, but I just thought I'd make everyone jealous

Very odd feeling to own something bought by Tolkien for one of his children & I'm still in awe to think I own something so personal.

As an aside, I recently saw another book owned by Michael on Ebay with an asking price of £300 - just a random book from his library with no other family connection. My set of six was a third of that price!
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #854
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
1420! I tip my hat to you...

Mr Dave;

I now bestow upon thee, the crown of Geekos the Geeky for you have out done us all.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #855
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Mr Dave;

I now bestow upon thee, the crown of Geekos the Geeky for you have out done us all.
And I have the guy's email, so I may even buy some more....

seems getting hold of family stuff is not too difficult if you know the right people.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #856
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Aside from normal stuff (ordinary non-rare books, CD recordings, action figures, etc.) the "jewels" of my collection include the following:
  • A TTT Gimli action figure autographed by John Rhys-Davies
  • An oversized movie-marquee-quality FOTR poster, autographed by Wood, Monaghan, Boyd, Astin, McKellen, Lee, Blanchett, Tyler, Bean, Bloom, Rhys-Davies, and Mortenson. I hope to get PJ's autograph on it someday.
  • A 10'x5' vinyl movie lobby poster from ROTK given to me by the theatre manager as a reward for hosting all 3 line-parties at his theatre and thus bringing in extra crowds
  • Several replicas of the movie swords
OK, it's not as cool as davem's books, but I like 'em. And I'm not too old to play with my action figures...
Old 01-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #857
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenamir
Aside from normal stuff (ordinary non-rare books, CD recordings, action figures, etc.) the "jewels" of my collection include the following:
  • A TTT Gimli action figure autographed by John Rhys-Davies
  • An oversized movie-marquee-quality FOTR poster, autographed by Wood, Monaghan, Boyd, Astin, McKellen, Lee, Blanchett, Tyler, Bean, Bloom, Rhys-Davies, and Mortenson. I hope to get PJ's autograph on it someday.
  • A 10'x5' vinyl movie lobby poster from ROTK given to me by the theatre manager as a reward for hosting all 3 line-parties at his theatre and thus bringing in extra crowds
  • Several replicas of the movie swords
OK, it's not as cool as davem's books, but I like 'em. And I'm not too old to play with my action figures...
Action figures Rule. I'm not ashamed to say that.

I had a conker off one of Tolkien's favourite trees - it took a lot of effort and near-illegal activity around the back of Merton College to get it, but I put it away 'safely' and it rotted and I had to throw it out. Still, I can always get another one at the next Oxonmoot...There's a story for life in there somewhere...

I do have a pine cone and a shrivelled conker from near Tolkien's grave which both survived intact though.

Does the Pinus Nigra drop cones? That would be a superb souvenir, to get one of these and actually grow a child of his very favourite tree!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:42 PM   #858
Parmastahir
Wight

February Website Update

Added some new calendars in January and put up the Calendar of the Month (a little known gem) for February. Hope you enjoy. As always, would love to hear from you about undiscovered calendars. Hope your winter is going well!

Parmastahir
Old 02-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #859
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I finally got the Tolkien Guide and Companion in the mail! I'd ordered it months ago, and though English books take longer to arrive here, I suspect that the delay might have involved somebody's forgetfulness as well. A reminder elicited immediate delivery. Now, for the time to start reading...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 02-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #860
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
I finally got the Tolkien Guide and Companion in the mail! I'd ordered it months ago, and though English books take longer to arrive here, I suspect that the delay might have involved somebody's forgetfulness as well. A reminder elicited immediate delivery. Now, for the time to start reading...
Esty will soon have very muscly arms - those books weigh a ton.

Make sure to tell us all what you think of it. Everyone I've spoken to who has it says it's the Daddy of all Tolkien reference books. Plus it can be 'dipped' into or read in the usual way, it gives you more avenues to explore, you get to learn what those unpublished papers and diaries say, and its intelligently written - I know a contributor and can vouch for the fact that Hammond & Scull took huge pains to make these books accurate.

Oh, and what do you think of the difficult index? That's one drawback, that and the fact that there are no 'headers' on the pages so it's very hard to search the A-Z format.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #861
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
I think Lal & I were among the first to get hold of a copy - according to a friend (one of the contributors as Lal mentioned) we got ours before the authors got theirs - hes a close friend of theirs & emailed them that we'd got our copy - which apparently came as a bit of a surprise to them! Its an amazing book full of interesting stuff - I discovered that a book I'd picked up in a second hand bookshop just before ('Oxford Renowned') was by a friend of Tolkien's - Leonard Rice-Oxley. Actually that one is quite interesting in itself, & very rare (been out of print since the thirties). Lots of background on Oxford & with some nice colour plates of Oxford in the 20's & 30's, showing the Oxford Tolkien would have been familiar with. It also contains some interesting stuff about Oxford in WWI - an airfield right on the edge of the city, & military training grounds in the parks, with cadets billeted in the colleges.

My favourite quote from the Rice-Oxley book is from a description of one of the buildings at Magdalen College:
Quote:
"Its original, this toy structure, this miniature oddity at which I hope many will on going out of the college take a last, longest, & fondest look, ought to be reserved for an endowed Fellow who should live placidly in it writing nothing but romances & fairy tales"

Last edited by davem; 02-01-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:56 AM   #862
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
If anyone has a spare $11,500....you might want to consider this purchase: letter on ebay.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #863
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles Think Wishfully.............

Quote:
If anyone has a spare $11,500....you might want to consider this purchase: letter on ebay.
I think if I actually had that money right now, it be going towards tuition payments. But...yay for wishful thinking?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #864
Parmastahir
Wight

March Tolkien Calendars Website Update

I added several calendars in February (find them under "What's New") and just posted the March Calendar of the Month. It is the first issue in a series that are personal favorites. Hope you enjoy it!

Spring is coming! I could feel it in the air here today.

Parmastahir

Old 04-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #865
Parmastahir
Wight

April Calendar Website Update

Happy Spring everyone!

It's the first of the month and that means that I have updated the Calendar of the Month feature on my website. April's calendar is a rarity and particular favorite. Recent updates may be found under "What's New on this Website?" You may view it all at:

Hope you enjoy it! Best to all.

Parmastahir
Old 05-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #866
Parmastahir
Wight

May Calendar of the Month

Posted a new Calendar of the Month for May this evening at:

Hope you like it.

Happy May Day!

Parmastahir
Old 05-02-2007, 03:19 AM   #867
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks once again for the reminder, Parmastahir! I always enjoy seeing the wonderful artwork in the calendars. I assume that the pictures are by different artists, since they vary considerably in style, and would be interested in knowing who painted them - are they Italian artists, or international?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #868
Parmastahir
Wight

1998 S.T.I. Calendar

Hello Estelyn -

You are very welcome, and thank you for your post (and visit).

The illustrations were all done by Italian artists:

Maura Boldi, Flavio Brunetti, Ambra Colombani, Andreina D'Ambrosio, Maria Distefano, Gianfranco Dutto, Domenico Franchi, Diego Iaconfcic, Alexandro Maccari, Luca Michelucci, Angelo Montanini

If you wish, I can match the illustrator with the month.

Parmastahir
Old 05-04-2007, 06:32 AM   #869
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ah, Parmastahir! Nice to see you again!
Too bad you have no need for anything German anymore...but if I see some old ones on Ebay I won't forget to mention that.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:50 PM   #870
Parmastahir
Wight

German Calendars?!

Hello The Might -

Until I saw the eBay auction for the 1991 calendar, I was unaware of its existence. So all I can say is "I don't know what I don't know!" Therefore if you should happen upon any German language Tolkien calendar, please let me know (either here or via my website). Even if I should have a copy of it, I would still let others know of a goodie. Nice to see you here, too!

I'm hoping to add another rarity (only three copies of a particular calendar were printed) to my collection soon. The current owner has indicated that she would be kind enough to part with it. It's tough to do because it's one of only three copies and because she contributed some of the artwork for it. I can't wait to see it!

'nuff for now!

Parmastahir
Old 05-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #871
Parmastahir
Wight

New Tolkien Calendar

Entered a new calendar on my website this morning. It is the 2007 Henning Janssen Fantasy Birthday calendar. Although issued this year, it is not dated for calendar year 2007 but intended for capturing birthdays (and anniversaries, etc) annually. You may view the illustrations on his website.

Hope you like it!

Parmastahir
Old 05-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #872
Parmastahir
Wight

Polish Tolkien Calendars

I have been able to catalog but not collect a number of commercial Tolkien calendars from Poland. Surprisingly, I have been able to find all of the issues from Parmadili/Polish Tolkien Society even though I am certain that they create many fewer calendars. If anyone can help me to find and collect the Polish Tolkien calendars from Zysk-i-ska and Wydanicto Amber, I would much appreciate hearing from you (either here or via my website Compleat Gyde to Tolkien Calendars) Thank you!

Parmastahir
Old 05-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #873
Parmastahir
Wight

New Tolkien Calendar

Added a rarity to the Compleat Gyde to Tolkien Calendars today: the 2003 Tolkien's Ring calendar. Only three copies exist. A member (who created an illustration of Old Man Willow for it) was kind enough to part with it.

Parmastahir
Old 05-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #874
Parmastahir
Wight

"New" Polish Tolkien Calendars

I discovered a Polish website that appeared to have three Polish Tolkien Society calendars for sale. One I had catalogued but not collected, and the other two were new to me. Long story short, I contacted a colleague there who confirmed same, ordered them, and sent them to me. I added the two new ones (2003 Parmadili calendars) to my website today.

Thanks for looking in!

Parmastahir
Old 06-01-2007, 05:12 AM   #875
Parmastahir
Wight

CotM for June

It's June and that means a new Calendar of the Month feature. Hope you like it.

Happy Summer everyone!

Parmastahir
Old 06-09-2007, 01:24 AM   #876
davem
Illustrious Ulair

I just got an Allen & Unwin FIRST EDITION LotR hardback set for £33.00 including postage & packing!!!!

Ok, its a 1965 11th impression, with a slight piece of the title page of FotR missing & the dust jacket of FotR has some tears, but overall very solid, with maps, & its the original 1954/55 text.

And the moral - keep an eye on Abe Books (or have a very good friend who will keep an eye on it for you!)
Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #877
Parmastahir
Wight

New Calendar!

Added a new calendar to the website this week. An 18 month, 2007 - 2008 calendar from the Middle-earth fellowship. They only made 25 for members. Made an entry for it but need to get a photo of it (hopefully tomorrow or this weekend). Am hoping to add some from a small European society soon! Hope you enjoy it!

Parmastahir

http://www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars
Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #878
Parmastahir
Wight

Another New Calendar!

Added another new (previously undiscovered) Tolkien calendar to my website this week: a variant of the 2006 Polish Tolkien Society calendar. The first few copies of this calendar were printed on yellow paper. The rest of the "regular" issue (perhaps 100 or so?) were printed on white. Was fortunate to add a copy of the yellow version to my collection this week. View this and all other calendars at:

Thanks for visiting!

Parmastahir
Old 07-01-2007, 08:13 AM   #879
Parmastahir
Wight

Calendar of the Month for July

Hello to All -

Hope your summer is going well (and, for those here in the US, that you have a most enjoyable 4th of July).

Put a new calendar of the month up for July. It is a true rarity (only three copies of it were printed).

Parmastahir
Old 07-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #880
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...let's see.

*The Dark Elf browses about his study*

I have a first edition (U.S.) set of LotR published by Houghton Mifflin (1954-55), which I bought 20 some years ago and it seems my investment has done better by far than my stocks; a first edition, first printing (U.S.) of the Silmarillion by Houghton Mifflin (1977) -- for $17.50 at a flea market; and most recently a U.S. first edition, first print of Children of Hurin, deluxe edition.

Other than that, I have a set of nine (which is appropriate) theater marquee posters from the 1978 Ralph Bakshi LotR animated film. The interesting thing about these is they were consigned to be destroyed after their theater run and a quick-thinking friend pulled them from the fire (two have scorch marks around the edges!).