The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #41
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
Oh, no one will film them this year, or next. But someone will film them again, sometime. Only Ben Hur has stood the test of time never to be refilmed.
If you are referring to the William Wyler version of Ben Hur (starring Charlton Heston), that was the second version. The first was a silent adaptation directed by Fred Niblo. It was the most expensive movie of the silent era and the chariot race is just as grand as the latter version.

Quote:
Maybe that's naive of me. Probably. But to me the films are fan fiction: large, expensive, very popular fan fiction. I've written some myself, and some love it and some hate it, but my work hasn't tainted the Canon at all. I like to think the Professor would enjoy my work and someday I'll ask him. Maybe at that time I'll also ask what he thought of the movies.
I too have written fan-fiction, but I wouldn't presume to make money on it like Peter Jackson's 50 Shades of Middle-earth.

Quote:
While I wouldn't put the Professor's work in quite the same class as the bible, in my mind he certainly ranks with Shakespeare. And that may be a comforting thought. Shakespeare has been interpreted for centuries, and how many movies of Hamlet do we have? Yet the Bard' s original text is still speaking four centuries or so later.

The Bard. The Professor. Which one do you respect more? Which one would you rather meet? Imagine talking with Shakespeare about what his favorite Romeo and Juliet production is. Plays, movies, even ballets to choose from...
Maybe The Professor would prefer the Rankin Bass Hobbit over PJ's Hobbit. I know in some ways I do. But then again, PJ's barrels chase scene was too much fun. I want to see it again.
I think Shakespeare was far better at characterization, at creating a complete psychological profile of a given role. As far as Hamlet or Henry V, even great actors like Laurence Olivier, John Gielgud or even Kenneth Brannagh did not presume to add fan-fiction to the Bard's words. They didn't drop in whole fan-fic subplots in their productions of Shakespeare. There are levels of respect afforded Shakespeare's work that are not necessarily given to Tolkien's. Although I am sure there are some asinine adaptations of Shakespeare out there that have largely gone ignored (as it should be).

Hey, lets give Hamlet an Elvish mistress that adds a love triangle between Hamlet and Ophelia, and then throw in an Orc (a French one, of course) that chases Hamlet around the castle throughout the play.

As far as new versions of Tolkien's work? I don't see why not. It may be further in the future than many of us will see (what with copyright laws extending past my expected expiration date), but with the rapidity at which technology advances, we may get to view Middle-earth in person via a Holodeck a la Star Trek before we shuffle off this mortal coil.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #42
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Interestingly, the folks over at Red Letter Media (caution, language etc), who did the excellent Star Wars prequel reviews, consider Peter Jackson to be more of a Tolkien 'purist.' They gave a positive review of DoS, though found it a bit long.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #43
Alcidas
Animated Skeleton

Alcidas has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Interestingly, the folks over at Red Letter Media (caution, language etc), who did the excellent Star Wars prequel reviews, consider Peter Jackson to be more of a Tolkien 'purist.'
Let me guess...they also thought the ending was a "cliffhanger", right?
Alcidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #44
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
One of the things I actually loved about this movie was the portrayal of Thranduil.

OK, it may not have been faithful to Tolkien's Thranduil (who we really don't actually know that much about), but it did accomplish one other important thing.

Basically it reminded me of a son of Feanor - one of the middle ones, Celegorm, Curufin or Caranthir - more than anything else.

So he's a bit of a jerk, slightly "wild", you get the sense that he's dangerous to be around, liable to do anything, "of perilous mood" indeed.

I've no idea if this was intentional or not, but it did bring forward a side of Tolkien's elves that's otherwise not present in these movies, and that was something I thought important and was happy to see done.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #45
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dűm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
But just because something is portrayed differently than what Tolkien wrote doesn't mean it's rubbish or not a 'beautiful moment.' Tolkien was a master storyteller, but film is different and you need more than "Tolkien didn't write it that way" to make me think Jackson's version is horrible.

To be 100% faithful would require a TV series no doubt, given the length alone. And a movie budget no movie company would provide
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #46
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I posted this in another thread along this same theme:

Smaug was the best feature of the films so far because of the personality he was given. Whenever dragons are portrayed in film or literature, they are always 1) bestial, or 2) any mix of arrogant, mean, evil, etc.

This Smaug was, for lack of a better term, a psychopath. Absolutely unhinged. If they had a giant, padded wagon with normal dragons in white coats, they should have been called to straightjacket Smaug and take him away to a rubber dragon's cave.

And that made Smaug really, really scary.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #47
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
Ex-post-facto, I realize that my thread could probably be merged with this one.