The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2002, 08:50 PM   #1
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting Family

Well, I was just being curious me, so I had to start this topic. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

My slightly older brother has joined and surfs around the forums on a daily basis. His username is Dwalin, but he hasn't posted yet. He is determined to find a good, juicy topic to place his opinions in, and is also set on creating controversy. So watch out for him. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

My dad also has joined the Barrow Downs forums, heehee. His username is Quickbeam the Hasty, but he also has not posted yet. I have yet to teach him how to go about posting, etc. on the Downs, as he knows very little about computers and the internet. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] But he'll be popping around the forums soon!

Does anyone else have family members posting on the Downs?
Old 10-01-2002, 08:59 PM   #2
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I have a lot of friends that are family members to me on the Barrow-Downs. Its funny, whenever I'm talking to people on AIM they always ask me what I'm doing. Its the same thing everytime RPGING! Whheeee I love this site.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 10:30 PM   #3
Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Eye

Hey Faye!! Yep, same here! I have a whole bunch of friends from school who play my family on the barrow downs. Faye being one of them. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2002, 01:07 AM   #4
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

eleniwilwarin is a friend of mine, ex-class mate. And my littlebrother joined the 'Downs a few months ago, but he hasn´t posted yet.
I guess that´s it....
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 02:17 PM   #5
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Sting

My friend Shadow_staar joined the Rivendell RPG and now is involved in my Cirith Ungol RPG.

All we talk about at school is the Barrow Downs and Tolkien.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:23 PM   #6
Donisile Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Donisile Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Donisile Of Mirkwood
Sting

Nope,only one of my friends is into the LOTR books. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Ah well [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2002, 02:38 PM   #7
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My brother is Sarin Elfarmour, but he kinda got bored after like the first week. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Oh well, all the more computer for me!
Old 10-02-2002, 03:33 PM   #8
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, sadly none of my family members are as into Tolkien as I am. They just like the movie.

But I do have a friend at school I told about this site. He got on it, and came back the next day. I asked him how he liked it and he was like...it's ok. I was like...well, did you possibly get onto the forum? His answer...no. Duh!! This is one of the best parts about this site!! I'll see if I can get him back on though.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 03:59 PM   #9
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gosh, some of you people are lucky, with your parents and siblings and friends all into Tolkien. One of my friends is mildly into the books, my dad read them years ago...I tried getting my friends to like it....but I'm not a very forceful person...

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Aylwen
Old 10-02-2002, 04:33 PM   #10
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

No one in my family has even read LOTR! I think my mom and dad have read The Hobbit, but that's it. My sister believes that since she saw the movie she doesn't need to read the books.

I do have on friend on here- Ithaeliel. I'm currently trying to encourage a friend to join. She loves LOTR and says that Tolkien inspires her writing. Perhaps if I send her my RPG, she'll consider joining.

My mom's friend also loves LOTR and she's done other message boards before. I emailed her a link to this site and though she's shown no sign of joining, perhaps she will someday.

Lastly, I have a god-brother who is also obsessed with Tolkien. I've known him all my life, but when I last saw him, it was LOTR that got us into a real conversation for the first time in 10 years! Perhaps I'll recommend this site to him the next time I see him, if he hasn't already discovered it.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-04-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 04:45 PM   #11
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

As you probably (now) know, Brinn is a friend of mine. We run with the same group, so to speak [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Also there is my dear friend Elizabeth, who, I quote, "doesn't do forums" (what a sad, sad thing). Then there's another girl at my school who is IN LOVE with Orli (yep, one of those). I don't think I'll recommend the site to her, since she really doesn't talk about much else concerning LotR. My family likes LotR okay, but the last time my parents even read the books was twenty years ago. My brother is not at all interested. He's off in his own world, as I am in mine most of the time.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 04:55 PM   #12
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Ith- That 'other' friend I was talking about was Liz. I might be able to encourage her, but if I do, she'll probably just RPG. That would be wonderful though, considering that she is an excellent writer.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-04-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 09:28 PM   #13
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

I am my own pet Oliphaunt.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 09:31 PM   #14
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Quote:
I am my own pet Oliphaunt.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Quote of the Week!!!

My dad has read the books, but he doesn't like computers well enough to spend time at a forum... oh well.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 03:54 AM   #15
The Viking Thunder
Animated Skeleton

The Viking Thunder has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

My brother and I joined this forum on the same day, within the hour. He has ten times more posts than me because I have school and he doesn't.
Lucky @#!%#^&*!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2002, 07:09 PM   #16
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My sister is also on this forum, but she kind of gave up after a short while. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Both my parents have read LOTR, and at least my dad has read the Silm, but he refuses to by anymore books edited by Christopher Tolkien.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:45 PM   #17
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
1420!

Luckily, not a single member of my family is also a member of the Downs, because my sigature alone might cause my father to take me out of the university and send me to a nunnery in Siberia. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The less parents now, the easier they sleep, or so we say in Russia.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:57 AM   #18
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Dark Rose, your dad sounds like a cool one.

I hope everyone's family would post...

Sadly, my family's not the reading sort. They tend to be close-minded about a lot of things, while i tend to sound smarter than some of them. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] heehee. Kidding.

My family shebang sound like Hobbits, don't they?
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:29 PM   #19
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Lucky...I've been trying to get all my friends to come on here, but none of them have done so...they're all very obssessed too...

My parents? Heck no: they wouldn't come on here! LOL...

And I have no siblings to come on...well: the voices in my head sometimes make appearances and get me in trouble, but... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2002, 01:12 PM   #20
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Although I don't have any family members who belong to this forum, I do have an identical twin sister who is very 'into' Tolkien. In fact, she is the one who got me to read LOTR. But, I went on to read the Sil and have not been able to get her hooked on it, although she's trying. On the other hand, she has read BoLT. Since she doesn't belong to any Tolkien-related websites, and I doubt she ever will, I'd have to say that I'm the "more obsessed twin".
Old 10-09-2002, 02:27 PM   #21
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

Wow, it seems I'm one of the only people with a parent interested in the Barrow Downs! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] This is quite interesting!

Well, as some of you may have noticed, my older brother who goes by the username here of Dwalin has finally started posting. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] He posted around The Movies forum a bit, but he's not nearly addicted to the Downs as I am. That's fortunate, considering the fact that I'm not too keen on sharing the computer with him that much. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

My dad still hasn't acually posted! Hmmph. And his ickle daughter took the trouble to make him his screen name that he took 40 minutes to decide upon! :rolleyes Well, I read him the posts and topics he wants to hear often, but he always gets too frusterated every time I try to teach him about how to go about posting, etc. Oh well! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bwaha, let's keep on recruiting our RL Tolkien buddies and family members! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2002, 02:43 PM   #22
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For everyone here's sake I'm trying to keep my brother OFF the Barrowdowns. He's into Tolkien, read the trilogy(although I'm still trying to get him to read the Sil.). He's even planning to film his own Lord of the Rings parody(he<ahem> the BOTH of us have actually wrote the script out; now comes recruiting actors). However, that's part of the problem. He's kind of a troublemaker, and has already caused plenty of mayhem at theForce.net using about five different screen names. He's not BAD, just very...creative, humor-wise and he might not last long without being banned. On the other hand, he might just fit in. I'll just have to remind him that if he DOES get into trouble, not to mention my screen name. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2002, 03:48 PM   #23
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Guess what - I'm a parent whose kids wouldn't dream of coming to the Downs! So it happens the other way around too...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 01:16 PM   #24
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Don't I know it Estelyn! My kids think I have a serious problem!
Old 10-14-2002, 06:52 AM   #25
ilon
Animated Skeleton

ilon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ilon
Sting

My younger sister have also tried to read the books, though she got tired reading the great full-length books. A classmate of mine
introduce The Hobbit to me years ago, then I tried looking for the other three.