The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
jordainian

The Eye eowyn and farrimir

at the end of the movie eowyn is standing by with farrimir. The stories told us that they were married but how were we to know that they were married.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:15 AM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

It's pretty easy to assume that they hit it off, and Jackson expands upon it in the Extended Edition. Not much, but pretty easy to tell they're hooking up.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:25 AM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yep, youcan tell a lot from those smug expressions...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
If fanfiction writers can create unlikely pairings based on the possible implications of a single line or look*, then movie audiences can surely figure Faramir and Eowyn out.

*neverdoneanythinglikethatinmylifeIswear
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Well...for starters you can tell by the way Eowyn is rubbing her stomach and staring at Faramir. just kidding folks!

In a movie like this, with the happy ending the coronation is, it's pretty safe to just let the viewers figure it out. Besides, saves more time for Ents like me to be in the movie. I was a stunt double for that burning tree in TTT, and Peter Jackson, because of my fan base, give me my own little scene where I give the epilogue, and put on my Balrog mask at the end. It was a cool ending, but because of the lack of the 'Scourging of the Shire', PJ thought it was best just to keep it to the Extended Edition. I won Best Supporting Ent at the ENTT (Enforces of nominations, tendrils, and tuna sushi). i got a badge and everything.

*stops talking and takes my mouth back to Mirth where that little monologue belongs*
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:45 PM   #6
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
Besides, saves more time for Ents like me to be in the movie. I was a stunt double for that burning tree in TTT
Interesting, I always attributed that tree to Quickbeam. He dashed to the water like it was his life, I guess you've proven me wrong all these years.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White-Hand

Well...originally, it was Quickbeam. But he was out looking for the ent wives, and couldn't make it to the set in time. Luckily, they called me in to fill in. What looks like me on fire, is really just a modification of what I look like in the split second I take off my balrog mask. I move so fast, it looks like it takes place over several seconds, when in reality it really wasn't even one fouth of a second.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:21 PM   #8
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Jolly Good Times!

Smashing, Perky Ent. I love knwing how things are done!

I myself would like to have seen the kiss between Eowyn and Faramir aobut which Tolkien wrote. I'm not being a perve; I just thought it was sweet that he let her wear his own mother's mantle and kissed her while they stared out over Gondor.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Bombadil
I myself would like to have seen the kiss between Eowyn and Faramir aobut which Tolkien wrote. I'm not being a perve; I just thought it was sweet that he let her wear his own mother's mantle and kissed her while they stared out over Gondor.
Oh I always thought that was sooooooooo romantic *snuffles into hanky*..... only trouble is that given that Eowyn and Faramir are so much more interesting than Arwen and Aragorn, they had to downplay their relationship and turn Faaramir into a bit of a git.... grrrrrrrr

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 06:21 AM   #10
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dűm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

"You loved him because he was high and puissant..."
It was o.k. to lose that line, but I was sort of ticked about the loss of kiss... *huffs* well, they held hands in the Houses of Healing, anyway.
And umm... not to get off subject, but what happened to the whole Elessar-healing-Faramir thing?? I guess orc-arrows just ain't what they used to be...

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Eowyn and Faramir were shortchanged, if you ask me.
I will say, though, that David Wenham did nail the "I'm in love" look. When he looks at her in the Houses of Healing (in the extended version)... oh yeah, that's the smitten look if I've ever seen it. Go David.
Other than that, though... I would've liked to have seen more.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #12
Elrowen Tinúviel

Elrowen Tinúviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Tinúviel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanamir of Gondor
I guess orc-arrows just ain't what they used to be...
Orc arrows may not be what they used to be... but that still does not discount the Black Breath (that Faramir caught in the books).

I too was quite upset about how they downplayed Faramir and Eowyn's romance in the movie... I really wanted the dialogue from that scene, and yeah... the kiss too. But then again, Faramir and Eowyn are two of my most favorite characters.

-Elrowen
Elrowen Tinúviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:40 PM   #13
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

"Then I will say, Eowyn of Rohan, that you are beautiful."

Gah! WHY did that get left out?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:51 PM   #14
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have to say, I was pretty upset by the loss of that whole love story. To me it was one of best things about the end. And I didn't like what they di to Faramir either. I left the theatre explaining to my friends who hadn't read the book why Faramir was actually a lot cooler, and why he was standing next to Eowyn at the end.

PJ did kind of make up for it in the extended edition. And I concede that given the timing of the movie, a whole extra love story would be out of place. Of course, they might have had time if they'd just down played Arwen's role a bit.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:31 PM   #15
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As I have said before, Roa, they could have done away with a few of those gratuitous and at times unnecessary kissing scenes and put more Faramir and Eowyn. I mean there is one real kiss in the book, in front of all Minas Tirith no less, but PJ just HAD to cut it! Instead he throws in all this tongue-stuff with Arwen and Aragorn every five minutes. I doubt Tolkien would have approved, and Elrond would have just keeled over if he caught them kissing!