The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #121
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I'm really curious about the motives behind them. What are they after?
The ring my precious. ?..it callses them....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #122
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Maybe it's part of a dark plot of movie-moguls to stifle criticisms of the films!

The ones I've seen on today all seem to have registered two days or more ago, and perhaps they can't post because they haven't gone through the authentication procedures.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:59 AM   #123
Tar-Jęx
Wight

Tar-Jęx has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Maybe it's part of a dark plot of movie-moguls to stifle criticisms of the films!

The ones I've seen on today all seem to have registered two days or more ago, and perhaps they can't post because they haven't gone through the authentication procedures.
What if they're actually real people?
Tar-Jęx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #124
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar-Jęx View Post
What if they're actually real people?
Then there's apparently a coordinated plan to infiltrate this forum, involving several dozen persons. I still don't see what motives exist for creating so many bogus accounts, but they cannot have legitimate reasons for doing so.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #125
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
They've been purged a few times, I think. We got above 3200 at one point, then down to 3150, and I think we broke 3200 again before back to where we are now.
Please tell me I need to get new glasses, because these numbers appear to be above three thousand. ...THREE FREAKIN THOUSAND!!!

Quote:
Then there's apparently a coordinated plan to infiltrate this forum, involving several dozen persons. I still don't see what motives exist for creating so many bogus accounts, but they cannot have legitimate reasons for doing so.
I think it's more likely that one or two people are behind a large chunk of the ridiculous accounts. Maybe they hope that by quantity they'll be able to overwhelm the forum and get people to click links... Still, quite a lot of effort and little hope for success.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #126
Tar-Jęx
Wight

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Please tell me I need to get new glasses, because these numbers appear to be above three thousand. ...THREE FREAKIN THOUSAND!!!

I think it's more likely that one or two people are behind a large chunk of the ridiculous accounts. Maybe they hope that by quantity they'll be able to overwhelm the forum and get people to click links... Still, quite a lot of effort and little hope for success.
If I recall correctly, when I joined, we were at 2800.

On the bright side, all these accounts are gaining us publicity (maybe). However, it's a number of people spamming accounts, rather than joining in our engaging discussion.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:16 AM   #127
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
If I recall correctly, when I joined, we were at 2800.
Wait... that doesn't seem right. The counter on the main page says "Most users ever online was 1,388, 12-23-2012 at 11:24 PM". Couldn't have been over 2K...

Thinking about it, though, I just noticed that I didn't even look at this counter since (before) 2012, because from what I remember last, the most members was hit at a time before I joined. Still, in 2012 there weren't that many more active Downers; must have been another spammer attack...
Old 11-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #128
Tar-Jęx
Wight

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Wait... that doesn't seem right. The counter on the main page says "Most users ever online was 1,388, 12-23-2012 at 11:24 PM". Couldn't have been over 2K...

Thinking about it, though, I just noticed that I didn't even look at this counter since (before) 2012, because from what I remember last, the most members was hit at a time before I joined. Still, in 2012 there weren't that many more active Downers; must have been another spammer attack...
Oh, not users online. Accounts made.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #129
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Oh, not users online. Accounts made.
I still think they're unable to really do anything. They haven't progressed beyond the 'Registered User' phase. Like Sauron after the destruction of the One, they are:

Quote:
'... a mere spirit of malice that gnaws itself in the shadows, but cannot again grow or take shape.'
'Aurë entuluva!' If only I could wield a two-handed cybernetic axe, and slay these foul ones!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:15 AM   #130
Tar-Jęx
Wight

Quote:
I still think they're unable to really do anything. They haven't progressed beyond the 'Registered User' phase. Like Sauron after the destruction of the One, they are:

'Aurë entuluva!' If only I could wield a two-handed cybernetic axe, and slay these foul ones!
Stalk Mister Underhill and The Barrow Wight to their houses at night to gain access to their computers. That way, the power shall be yours for the taking. *tempt tempt*
Old 11-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #131
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Stalk Mister Underhill and The Barrow Wight to their houses at night to gain access to their computers. That way, the power shall be yours for the taking. *tempt tempt*
I wouldn't presume to try. Though my own residence has its own protective 'enchantments', I expect Admins' homes are veritable Helm's Deeps.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #132
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
I believe they are Dwarves typing Khuzdul with a Westron font. Unfortunately for the Naugrim, they cannot understand the concept of posting on this site. After all, there is a big difference between a forum menu and ai-męnu!
Old 12-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #133
Tar-Jęx
Wight

Tolkien

To be frank, this is frustrating. There have been literally thousands of accounts made to spam us. Could an admin alter the account registration so that if it's a bot (almost certainly they are bots), it will stop working?
Old 12-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #134
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
To be frank, this is frustrating. There have been literally thousands of accounts made to spam us. Could an admin alter the account registration so that if it's a bot (almost certainly they are bots), it will stop working?
There are blocks in place to prevent spambots, and without special knowledge of Admin enchantments here, it looks as if they're mostly working. The rogue accounts are registered, but don't seem to have posting privileges. That makes them a minor annoyance. I think The Barrow-wight is cleaning them out when he comes on.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #135
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
How about if we hop over to 4chan or Reddit and see if Anonymous will crush the spambot senders?
Old 12-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #136
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Unitedtruckrepair logged on today. Obviously interested in comparing Tolkien's use of the term "wain" as opposed to "waggon".
Old 12-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #137
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

What the hell is going on here? Twice today I saw at least 20 new spelling-impaired spammers trying to log in. What, pray tell, is the reasoning for this spam gone amok?
Old 12-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #138
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
What the hell is going on here? Twice today I saw at least 20 new spelling-impaired spammers trying to log in. What, pray tell, is the reasoning for this spam gone amok?
All I can reason is that they're spammers who are able to register, but are frustrated by other security measures so that they're unable to post.
They are persistent, though. If they got real jobs they might actually accomplish something meaningful in life.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #139
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

To the Spammer Army

Get out, you old Bot! Welcome you are not!
Vanish like a bad rash, like a Jackson movie,
Away into the cyber-space in Al Gore's fevered brain!
Come never here again! Leave this barrow peaceful!
Useless and unwanted be, a very evil cretin,
Where capcha stands forever firm, and your code is broken!
Old 12-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #140
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
So thats all the gibberish account ive been seeing.i have just comeback,and was quite perplexed at these odd accounts
Old 01-04-2015, 12:59 AM   #141
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
There are like at least 40 of them on now.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #142
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Good Lord, there are five on currently: Qo8syUbhz, Ua9fxEjtp, Uo9deQpjv, z3w9z5o421 and Ed4gyQdav. This is ridiculous.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #143
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Good Lord, there are five on currently: Qo8syUbhz, Ua9fxEjtp, Uo9deQpjv, z3w9z5o421 and Ed4gyQdav. This is ridiculous.
They all seem very interested in The New Silmarillion.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #144
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Since the Maggot-folk of Cyberspace have not ceased their invasion attempts, take THIS!!

Old 05-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #145
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Since the Maggot-folk of Cyberspace have not ceased their invasion attempts, take THIS!!

How embarrassing having Gandalf fall to spam-bots.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #146
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
How embarrassing having Gandalf fall to spam-bots.
But he returned to finish his task: just like the forum!
Old 07-25-2015, 03:05 AM   #147
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
The shadows (5) creep again....