The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-31-2002, 11:19 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
1420! I Met Him!!!!!!!!!!

Alright everyone, are you sitting down? Today, on a late-night run to the grocery store for some Guinness, fake I.D. in hand, who should I run into but Viggo Mortensen himself! (Did I tell you all I lived in L.A.?) Who knew, movie starts shop for their own deoderant! I complimented him on his portrayal of Aragorn, particularly the swordplay (we have discussed it extensively here at the Downs). I told him that Maril was a big fan as well. I also asked him about the next movie, but he just pressed a finger to his lips. He then agreed to sign my t-shirt in front of the gaping check-out lady!<p>[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 03-31-2002, 11:40 PM   #2
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Way cool!!!!!! No way, that's a great moment. (I've seen your picture on your website, I don't think it took much convincing to get him to sign your T-shirt. ) You must post a photo of your Signed T on the Downs. What a treat!<P>Hey, did his accent sound much like it does in the movie?<P>-Maril<p>[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 03-31-2002, 11:41 PM   #3
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

OMG OMG!!! You are the luckiest person ever!!! Dammit! Why can't movie stars live where I live?? And he talked to you?! You talked to him?! *falls dead* Can I touch your hand?
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 12:32 AM   #4
Mereth'iel
Pile O'Bones

Mereth'iel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

How neat!! When you float down from cloud-nine, let us know how he signed your T-shirt. Name? Message?
Mereth'iel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 12:36 AM   #5
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wish I lived somewhere that I could meet somethat was in LotR.... Evil Dallas. I so envy you, I would of been to freaked out to even say hello.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 02:09 AM   #6
Sîdhrîs
Haunting Spirit

Sîdhrîs has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aaaaarghhhh! Are you making April fools of us?!! <p>[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: Sîdhrîs ]
Sîdhrîs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 04:23 AM   #7
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Oh, *slaps forehead* duh. I know Lush doesn't live in LA. <P>Okay, you got me, girl. I buy you a round of those green bottles.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:24 AM   #8
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Aw, Lush, that was evil of you. You had me fooled
Old 04-01-2002, 10:25 AM   #9
Polly Sandybanks
Pile O'Bones

Polly Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Polly Sandybanks Send a message via AIM to Polly Sandybanks
Sting

Good one. LOL <P>I've seen too many jokes today though to fall for that one. Btw.. doesn't Viggo live in New York?? Or maybe he doesn't.. but that's what I thought.
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
Polly Sandybanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 11:33 AM   #10
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
*LAUGHS HYSTERICALLY*<BR> <P>When encountering such messages it is always wise to check the date!!!<BR>I love you guys, really. I just couldn't resist!<BR>I promise that if I do ever meet Viggo, I will, of course, tell him 'hello' from all of his fans, get his autograph, and ask him to sign my chest (nicely). He makes a wonderful Aragorn, and I would take him shopping for deodorant any day.<p>[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 04-01-2002, 11:37 AM   #11
Lush
Fair and Cold

Oh, and dear Maril, thank you for the compliment. If you are ever on the East Coast, the green bottles* will be on me.<P><BR>*-For the uninitiated, the green bottles stand for drink of the Western gods, Heiniken.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:41 AM   #12
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Sting

I wish I lived in LA then maybe I would have a CHANCE of meeting someone like that--hehehe you had me fooled!! But I would love to meet *sigh* ELIJAH...hmmmmm that would be niiiiice....<BR>But no, I live in Pennsylvania. EXCITING! grr I am gettin out of here as soon as I can!!!!
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 12:04 PM   #13
starbreeze

Silmaril

Lol Lol Lol rofl!!<P>Wow, am I gald I only read this after you revealed it as an April fool! Lol Lol Lol, you guys are so funny, the closest I get to and April fool is hiding all the toilet paper, lol lol lol *wipes tears of mirth from eyes*
Old 04-01-2002, 03:51 PM   #14
Lush
Fair and Cold

Glad I could provide a laugh, Starbreeze. I <I>wish</I> it was true! Then again, if I really did run into "Aragorn" while buying beer, I doubt I would act that cool. I would try my best, of course. Though it would probably be something more along the lines of: "Ahhhh...." *thud*<P>Or, at my very best,: "So, want to help me finish this six-pack?"<p>[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 04-01-2002, 07:54 PM   #15
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

*smirk* That was mean..but pretty good! Though it's only April Fools here today, and I read that message like...I dunno. A day ago or something. LOL! Thanks for the laugh.
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 08:00 PM   #16
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh evil! Evil! Evil! That was a good one...better than the mixing the sugar with the salt for coffee gag-actually that was the best ever.<P>
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 10:25 PM   #17
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Lush, eto bilo zlaya shutka! (Not sure if "zlaya" is quite right, but it *feels* right). And you know, I might even have gone for it if I'd read it before the guy who runs my old college's message board decided to erase everyone's personal webpage as an April fool - after that, of course, no way was I forgetting. Very good, though .
Old 04-01-2002, 10:42 PM   #18
Lush
Fair and Cold

Bravo Kalimac! Your only error is that it should be "bila" not "bilo." <BR>Once again, I am sorry...Sorry because it's not true, and I wish that it was! Hehehehe. These crushes really do die hard.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:48 PM   #19
Mereth'iel
Pile O'Bones

Sting

LUSH!!!! ROFL!!! You have given me the best laugh! My grandmother & I used to play "April Fool's" on each other every year & I've missed having someone around who *r*e*a*l*l*y knows how to pull a prank (my grandma was great at it!!). <P>You get an "A".<P>
Old 04-01-2002, 11:06 PM   #20
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

1420!

Doh! I knew that! Seichas' chuvstvuyu kak durnitsa aprelya. (For everyone; this is my attempt to say in extremely rusty Russian that I now feel like an April fool [feminine]).
Old 04-01-2002, 11:21 PM   #21
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

*looks at the poisson d'avril swimming around the forum*

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 08:44 AM   #22
Lady Simarien

Sting

hey, Kilamac, what the *beep* does "eto bila zlaya shutka" mean?
Old 04-02-2002, 02:36 PM   #23
Lush
Fair and Cold

Translated from Russian, "eto bila zlaya shutka" means-<B>this was a cruel joke</B>. I disagree, of course. <BR>Kalimac, once again, everything is right, except for the worn "durnit'sa." The word "glupit'sa" fits much better. <BR>Hmm...When did this become a Russian 101 thread?
Old 04-02-2002, 07:25 PM   #24
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

lol, good joke. it was kinda unconvincing that anyone could act so calm and cool in front of a major movie star. one day my friend asked me "What would you do if Elijah Wood walked across our school-ground one day while we were out for lunch" and i just thought: "faint."
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 07:30 PM   #25
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good one, Lush. I fell for it because it sounded so...so...L.A.! <P>By the way: I met the first husband of Viggo's ex-wife. Let's play "Six Degrees of Separation"!
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 09:49 PM   #26
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

1420!

Lush - OK, I apologize for turning it into Russian 101 - just trying to think of a slightly more novel way to express "Hey, that was good April Fool!" As for "durnitsa", well, that's what you get when the only way to maintain your vocabulary is to read a lot - books don't always have the most, ahem, current terminology. "Zlaya" I just think sounds cool, no matter how appropriate .<P>Meeting a movie star - never happened to me, though I did once meet a local stage actor I had a huge crush on. The thing was, I had no idea it was him until it was over! (The wonders of stage makeup). So I actually was fairly casual with him, but if I'd known it was him I would have tried to act casual and failed miserably - probably stuttered like crazy the way I do in tense situations . Multiply that by about a hundred for meeting any of the LOTR actors (even the really minor ones - the hobbit who says "Who Goes There" etc).
Old 04-03-2002, 04:32 AM   #27
Menewilwarin of Mirkwood
Pile O'Bones

Menewilwarin of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

You know, you guys are lucky to even be in the same country....stupid atlantic getting in the stupid way...*continues ranting*...lousy England...(only joking - England rocks!) I have no chance in hell of meeting any of them! Unless i can wangle those premiere tickets off Matt...*crosses fingers*...
A tiro nin, Fanuilos!
Menewilwarin of Mirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:06 AM   #28
Dolenthangiel

Silmaril

twas a most excellent joke. evil, horrible england...why do no such wonderful/talented/gorgeous people ever live/work/hang about where us normal non famous type folks can see 'em...ah! alas!<BR>if only i lived in the US of A !<BR>by the way...where is Elijah Wood from...i know Orlando Bloom is english...(ha!!! we have a gorgeous talented actor woohoo!!!!! such a shame he dont ever come anywhere near where i live though...)
Old 04-03-2002, 09:40 AM   #29
Mereth'iel
Pile O'Bones

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>...*continues ranting*...lousy England...I have no chance in hell of meeting any of them! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm confused. Are you in England? Doesn't at least Sean Bean (Boromir) live in England? And what about Orlando Bloom and at least one of the Ians?<P>I'm probably all wrong about these, but I thought at least some of the cast lived in England.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:16 AM   #30
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, Both Viggo Mortensen and Christopher Lee were in Denmark for the premiere of FOTR. I may be at the premiere of TTT with some friends, so I really hope at least one of them will be there. I promise I'll tell you guys everything. <p>[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 04-03-2002, 10:42 AM   #31
elvellon

Silmaril

Are you joking????? Where do you live anyway?<BR>It's not fair at all! I have no opportunities at all to meet any of them (in Hungary) Anyway I would rather meet with Elijah...
Old 04-03-2002, 10:53 AM   #32
Polly Sandybanks
Pile O'Bones

Send a message via ICQ to Polly Sandybanks Send a message via AIM to Polly Sandybanks
Sting

No way.. Viggo and Cristopher Lee were in Denmark for the premiere?? <P>That must have been in Copenhagen and that's not at all far from where I live.. just a few hours on the train. I wish I knew that.<P>And as far as I know Orlando Bloom, Dominic Monaghan, Sean Bean, Ian Holmes and Billy Boyd all live in the UK. Although I think they're travelling between the UK and the US quite a lot.. because of movie offers and things. I'm not sure about Ian McKellen though. He's English.. but I think he lives in the US right now, because he's doing a play on Broadway or something!?<BR>What about Cristopher Lee?
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:57 AM   #33
Polly Sandybanks
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Oh.. and Elijah Wood lives in LA. Although he's from Iowa or someplace like that.. originally. But he's lived in L.A. since he started making movies when he was about 6 or 7.<P>Hmm.. does Sean Astin also live in L.A.??<P>Who else?<P>I'm going there this summer.. I probably won't meet anyone famous anyway.. but the chances are quite a lot bigger there than they are in this little town in Sweden where I live.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:33 AM   #34
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I bumped into Brian Dennehy (sp?) at a checkout line of a supermarket in Montreal. Needless to say, I swooned....

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 12:48 PM   #35
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good one Lush! It had me laughing!<P>Elijah and Sean Astin live in L.A.; Elijah's family lives in Santa Monica. I know that Viggo is American, but I don't know where he lives.<P>I <I>might</I> have emailed Elijah and he <I>might</I> have replied back. I emailed this guy who seemed like he was Elijah...he replied three times, every time I emailed him. So...it could be him, or it couldn't be. You never know with people these days.
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 01:17 PM   #36
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> No way.. Viggo and Cristopher Lee were in Denmark for the premiere?? <BR>That must have been in Copenhagen and that's not at all far from where I live.. just a few hours on the train. I wish I knew that.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yup. It was in "Imperial". Viggo's father is/was (is he still alive?) danish and Christopher's wife is danish too, so..... Of course I would just LOVE to be in London on the opening night. Although Sean Bean most probably won't be there. After all, why should he? He's not even in this movie. Sadly enough.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:59 PM   #37
Merry
Animated Skeleton

Merry has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That was a good one Lush. I was about to tell you not to tell one of my friends. I'm glad I read ahead.
Old 04-04-2002, 01:03 AM   #38
Polly Sandybanks
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Well.. they're supposed to have the TTT and ROTK premiere's someplace else though.. aren't they!? I think they talked about having one in L.A. and one in NZ!? But I'm not sure. I'd love to be in London too!!
Old 04-05-2002, 03:53 PM   #39
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Bad, naughty, Lush!!!!<P>I like you, Lush! You're ! That was a good one! But, I unfortunately noticed the date, so I didn't fall for it! <P>Just be lucky you guys don't live here in Oklahoma, home state of (ugh) "Opie" himself, director Ron Howard. ***~ 'cuse me while I go throw up!~***
Old 04-05-2002, 06:51 PM   #40
Lush
Fair and Cold

A very small amount of decent, handsome men live in North Carolina. The rest are mostly the tipsy community college drop-outs who yell inappropriate comments at me from the windows of their pick-up trucks. And we don't have many famous people here. The Royal Shakespeare Company stopped by in February, but penniless Lush was too swamped with insurance payments to see them. <BR>I'm going out tonight, to experience more of the fabulous, non-existent night-life!<BR>As for Viggo...He could be charitable and drop by for a visit. I would promise not to make any "big sword" jokes in his presence!