The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2002, 01:31 PM   #1
Ibun_Clawarrow
Pile O'Bones

Ibun_Clawarrow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting If You Could have one scene from the Silmarillion?

If you could have one scene from the Silmarillion filmed in the same basic fashion as FOTH and you were the director/producer and could film it in any way you wanted, bar costs, which would it be? For me it would either be the fashioning of the sun and the moon (see my signature)or the darking of Valinor.
Isil was first wrought and made ready, and first rose into the realms of the stars, and was the elder of the new lights, as was Telperion of the Trees. Then for a while the world had moonlight, and many things stirred and woke that had waited long in the sleep of Yavanna. The servants of Morgoth were filled with amazement, but the Elves of the Outer Lands looked up in delight; and even as the Moon rose above the darkness in the West, Fingolfin let blow his silver trumpets and began his march into Middle Earth, and the shadows of his host went long and black before them.
Ibun_Clawarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 01:49 PM   #2
Ereinion
Animated Skeleton

Ereinion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ereinion
Sting

I think I'd probably most like to do a battle. Perhaps the Nirnaeth Arnoediad (sp?). With the shining arms of the Elves and the terrible fire of the Balrog would make quite a sight. I would also like to see the Dagor Bragollach. Well, mostly the challenge of Fingolfin against Morgoth. That would be spectacular, in my opinion. Course, if it was up to me we'd film the whole thing.
Ereinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 03:39 PM   #3
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

The meeting of Beren and Lúthien. Húrin's last stand (though I don't know if I could bear to watch that). Eärendil's voyage. The battle between Glorfindel and the Balrog (once again, it may be unbearable). The creation of the Trees in Valinor...I daresay some beautiful parts are simply unfilmable though.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:26 PM   #4
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

This might sound twisted, but you could probably make a really good dark movie out of Turin Turambar and Nienor Niniel - especially that last scene where Glaurung says "Hail, Nienor, daughter of Hurin." If you did it right it could be as good (and excruciating) as one of the Oedipus cycle plays. Though I'm not sure how you'd do Gurthang talking to Turin; probably a voiceover or something the way they did that distant, hissing voice for the Ring in FOTR.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:45 PM   #5
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have to say something with Numenor, maybe when they all leave. Either that or when everthing is being created.
Old 04-14-2002, 05:04 PM   #6
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Definitly Beren and Luthien! I really loved that whole story!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 12:33 AM   #7
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

I don't know. Either 1) The kinslaying of the Teleri <BR>or 2) Glorfindel's battle with the Balrog<BR>or 3) Beren and Luthien<P>In that order. The kinslaying had me so sad when I read it!!
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 07:29 AM   #8
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I would really like to film the whole book, but anyway....<BR>I can´t choose between Beren and Lúthien, Eärendils voyage (surprised? ), the creation of Middle-Earth, some big battles, etc etc....
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 12:55 PM   #9
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Anything with my two favorite characters - Maedhros & Maglor. Tuor's encounter with Ulmo - although I'm pretty satisfied with J.Howe's rendition of that. Mandos giving the "Doom of the Noldor" speech!
Old 04-15-2002, 05:45 PM   #10
Sirithregion

Sting

It's really hard to pick just one scene... The Silmarillion is just full of awesome scenes... But if I had to choose just the one scene, I'd go with...<P><I>The Fall of Fingolfin</I>. Just imagine the battle! Fingolfin sounding his horn outside the gates of Angband, and inside Morgoth watching his troops run around, frightened, and he himself being unwilling to face Fingolfin... Or Fingolfin wounding Morgoth...
Old 04-16-2002, 12:20 PM   #11
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ooooo...The Fall of Fingolfin! I get goosebumps just thinking about it! Good choice Sirithregion!