The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2002, 12:26 PM   #1
lomion
Animated Skeleton

lomion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting What if Smaug the dragon lived?

Do you think it would have made any difference in the war? I bet he could take care of Minus Tirith pretty quick.
lomion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 12:57 PM   #2
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
If Smaug had lived the end of the Hobbit would have been really different. On the other hand I don't think he would have lasted long. Remember he still has that weak spot.
Old 01-19-2002, 01:06 PM   #3
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dűm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
"Yet things might have gone far otherwise and far worse. When you think of the great Battle of the Pelennor, do not forget the battles in Dale and the valor of Durin's folk. Think of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador, night in Rivendell. There might be no queen in Gondor. We might now hope to return from victory here only to ruin and ash. But that has been averted because I met Thorin Oakenshield one evening on the edge of spring in Bree. A chance-meeting as we say in Middle Earth"
The Return of the King, Appendix A

If Sauron had regained the ring he probably would have gained the ability to control Smaug and any other of the evil entities from the 1st age, at least to some degree. Gandalf obviously thought that Sauron would have used Smaug to attack Eriador and destroy Rivendell. I tend to agree with Gandalf, Smaug would have been a terrible weapon against the last opposition to Sauron. He would have burned the forests and destroyed any resistance.
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 11:11 PM   #4
lomion
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I don't think Smaug would take much convincing...if there was enough gold and jewels to be had.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:37 PM   #5
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Yep, I'm not quite comfortable with the thought of Sauron controling Smaug. I picture dragons as their own masters (with except for the enslaved) and very strong kinds of those, indeed. But, was Smaug the last dragon in middle-earth?

[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: Maeglin ]
Old 01-21-2002, 03:16 PM   #6
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

True, dragons were their own masters, but Smaug's will wouldn't have been much of an opponent to Sauron.

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]
Old 01-21-2002, 03:30 PM   #7
Dáin Ironfoot
Animated Skeleton

Dáin Ironfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sauron would have controlled him. Why? Because Morgoth bred dragons for evil and to serve him, Sauron was his second-in-command and survived, therefore smaug would serve him. I think Gandalf couls have stood against smaug
Old 01-24-2002, 08:51 AM   #8
lomion
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I guess if Legolas could shoot a winged Nazgul out of the air, ANY of the elves would have seen the bare patch in Smaugs chest. After all, elves could see very good.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:13 AM   #9
Carannillion
Wight

Carannillion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think Sauron would have needed the Ring to make Smaug fight the free peoples. A slap on the bottom and a 'there are riches beyond your imagining' would probably have set him off.

As for killing Smaug, maybe not ANY elf could find that weak spot, but a lot of them. Also, let's not forget Elrond here, either. Or Glorfindel. Elf Lords, one of them wielding a Ring of Power, the other just returning from Aman after having dealt with a Balrog...
Old 01-24-2002, 03:37 PM   #10
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dűm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think, since Smaug had probably worked with Sauron before, would have been glad too. Why not, Sauron could just say, "Smaug my old friend, if you do this you can have some of my mithril, or hey go get our old friend Durin's Bane, I can't, I don't have a body." Anyway, I think Smaug would have happily worked with (not for) Sauron.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 10:00 PM   #11
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question

When did Sauron and Smaug work together before? I thought that Smaug was born and bred in the Withered Heath long after Sauron had been overthrown and unbodied by the Last Alliance.
I may be wrong that's just the impression that I had.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:20 PM   #12
Silver Dragon
Animated Skeleton

Silver Dragon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silver Dragon Send a message via MSN to Silver Dragon
Ring

I'm not so sure that Smaug surviving the Hobbit would have made much of a difference...I think the only reason he was able to wreck Esgaroth so much was because only a couple archers stayed to defend it...whereas Minas Tirith would have probably put up more of a fight...if Sauron could convince Smaug to fly so far from his hoard...
Old 08-03-2003, 09:55 PM   #13
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Remember that Sauron still was not as powerful as Morgoth. He could control orcs, but things like dragons were way out of his league.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:04 PM   #14
Halbarad
Wight

Halbarad has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One of Smaug's most potent weapons was fear. The men of Esgaroth were terrified of him. After all if he destroyed Dale then Esgaroth would be no problem. Powerful, yes. Even Glaurung was killed by a single, determined man. All it would take if Bard had missed would have been a determined and courageous opponent, although this may have taken a while.
However, if Smaug had not been killed then there would not have been the battle of 5 armies and the elves of Mirkwood would not have been on as good terms with the men and Dain would not rule under the mountain. Eriador would have been overrun with orcs too. Smaug would have only been another threat on a large list. With the ring Sauron would have controlled Smaug. As the Necromancer? Probably not.
-Halbarad to Aragorn, 'The Passing of the Grey Company' Book V, Return of the King."A little people, but of great worth are the Shire-folk. Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not"
Halbarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 10:47 PM   #15
Elfstone
Animated Skeleton

Elfstone has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If Smaug had lived things would likely have turned out very differently. If Bard misses his shot and dies at Esgaroth the dragon almost surely kills Thorin and company, including Bilbo. The Ring would either have fallen to Smaug or been lost again, at least for a short while until the Deceiver tracks it down. Smaug, fully active again for the first time in ages, likely repairs his armor, removing his one glaring weakness.

Yes, things would have turned out much differently if there was an axis of Smaug in the north, Saruman in the center, and Sauron in the east. Much differently indeed.
Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 04:02 AM   #16
Osse
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My i just ask, in reply to an earlier post;
Who said Sauron did not have a body?

Saruman in PJ's FOTR.

I was under the impression that he could take form late in the War Of the Ring, but he chose to be clad in his form of The Great Eye. He could not be clad in any form that appeared fair to Men or Elves, but he could take form. Instances in the texts support this.

Back to the point; if Smaug had not been slain or the Quest of Erebor undertaken, Sauron would not have had to do much to get him into the fray. He would have easily convinced Smaug that he could pile riches and have some fun--and a fully grown dragon on the loose would have been disasterous; Laketown would have been gone, and Smaug (with the help of Saurons Dol Guldur forces) could have easily destroyed the Elves of Mirkwood. Lorien and Imlardris would then be open to full assault-- Gondor would not have stood long, and the ring would have been found by an orc rather than Bilbo and eventually gotten onto the finger of it's master. If the Quest of Erebor had not succeeded, then there would have been no War of The Ring, just ravaging and destruction. Sauron certainly would have employed Smaug into his service; either wittingly or unwittingly.

Osse

[ August 04, 2003: Message edited by: Osse ]
Old 08-04-2003, 08:16 AM   #17
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Gandalf said that it was good fortune that brought him and Thorin Oakenshield together in that tavern, and it was good fortune. If the Quest of Erebor had not been successful, then there wouldn't have been an Eriador to return to. Even if Smaug didn't join the fight in Gondor or Mordor, he could have completely destroyed Eriador and left nothing for the Host of the West to return to.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:51 AM   #18
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I agree Finwe. Gandalf himself thought that.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:39 PM   #19
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I am still sticking to what I said earlier. Sauron, even when he had the Ring, would not be able to make a dragon do anything. If he could, he would have used them at the Battle of Dagorlad.
Oh, and another thing...
Quote:
Smaug (with the help of Saurons Dol Guldur forces) could have easily destroyed the Elves of Mirkwood.
Remember the bare patch in his chest? If Bard could hit that with perfect accuracy, an elven archer could dispatch Smaug within the first 10 seconds.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:52 PM   #20
Silver Dragon
Animated Skeleton

Silver Dragon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silver Dragon Send a message via MSN to Silver Dragon
Ring

Agree with Meneltarmacil.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:11 PM   #21
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

But you have to remember, that Sauron had remarkable powers of persuasion. He could get just about anyone to do anything, especially a power-hungry and greedy "person" like Smaug. Besides, who can resist the temptation of causing untold amounts of death and destruction? I certainly can't! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:20 PM   #22
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well one thing is for sure: if Smaug had lived then the Lord of the Rings would be quite a different book. Smaug could have, for one thing, killed Bilbo and taken the Ring. He could then have eaten the Ring or kept it with his hoard, or returned it to Sauron. Either way Sauron would probably have regained it. And Bilbo may not have returned from his adventure, meaning Frodo would never become his heir!

Supposing that Bilbo had returned though, and that Smaug had not been killed and the Fellowship of the Ring had still set out years later, I would think that Sauron would be able to persuade Smaug to help him. If there's one thing we can learn from the Dark Lords it is that they will promise practically anything to a useful ally. A new hoard of gold? An entire kingdom? Smaug could certainly have done a good deal of damage, but I imagine he would be taken down by an archer or perhaps an eagle eventually.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:50 AM   #23
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

But Sauron was the most powerful being left on Earth (I dont want anyone giving me a Tom Bombadil-related answer here ok!) He was clearly more powerful than Smaug so why would he have huge difficulty in persuading Smaug?
Old 08-06-2003, 09:28 AM   #24
Thalimenel

Eye

Even if Smaug was still alive during the war, you have forgotten the wak spot. If a manish Archer could shoot it that well, and elvish Archer could have done times and times better.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:28 AM   #25
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

But we're forgetting one important factor here. Bard was TOLD about the dragon's weak spot by the thrush, he didn't spot it on his own. And realistically speaking, even for Elves, night vision is worse than day vision, so unless Smaug was flying overhead in broad daylight, which he wouldn't do, it would have been very difficult for an Elven archer to shoot him at precisely the exact spot. Smaug was intelligent, he wouldn't have flown in broad daylight because that would be too much visiblity, and, it's a lot less frightening. I don't know about you, but I would find a dragon far more intimidating at night than during the day, since my vision would be hampered. So unless Roac, or the thrush, started running some sort of messenger service, advertising Smaug's weakness to all of Eriador, it would have been quite difficult to take him down.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:47 AM   #26
Marroc Underhill
Haunting Spirit

Marroc Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Two things are possible. 1. He would have taken as much of his hoarded treasure and fled as far north as possible after the battle to make sure no other dwarves got up the nerves to try a second time to reclaim the Lonely Montain. 2. Sauron would have bribed into his service with gold and gems and as much precious materials as he had to. He would be flying high with the Nazgul and there Fell Beasts by the time of the Two Towers. If he flew with the Nazgul, Gondor would not have lasted as long as it had. So either two things would have happened, he would never be seen again except for the unlucky traveler every now and then, or he would be burning Gondor to the ground.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:56 PM   #27
Morgoth the Great
Haunting Spirit

Morgoth the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

perhaps we are all missing a rather obvious question: how did he survive? perhaps he might of killed Bilbo immediatly, thus Bard would not know of his one week spot, and Smaug would of survived, along with now owning the Ring. but what would he do when he had the Ring? it wouldnt take long to corrput his mind, and he would therefore be a lot harder to persuade by Sauron. another scenario is that Bard missed, and was slain. his town is then burned to ashes, and Smaug returns to his treasure, without anyone causing a threat to him. What would happen to Bilbo and Company then? Perhaps it would not be so different, and Bilbo would perish none the less. Smaug would easily be tempted by Sauron, but Smaug couldnt be the last dragon left in Middle Earth(please correct me if i am wrong there) and therefore if Sauron felt he needed the Dragons, surely Smaug would not of proved such a big difference, as he would be easy to take down with the keen eyes of an elf, and maybe the other dragons were more of a threat
Old 08-13-2003, 10:33 AM   #28
Socialist
Pile O'Bones

Socialist has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just had a crazy idea.

What if Smaug kept the One Ring from Sauron and Sauron had to fight him for it or something? I don't know.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:08 AM   #29
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

If Smaug was not destroyed in the Hobbit it could and would have caused many many problems for the alliance against Mordor. Just of the few things that could have been done if Sauron has Smaug under his controll... As mentioned the destruction of Eriador. Also, smaug could have been used, as well as the ringwraiths to kill frodo and the fellowship. Also, even if the elvs could see Smaug's weakspot, what is to say that they would see it before he has the entire forests of Lothlorien or Mirkwood ablaze? Smaug could have been used to destroy Fangorn forest, therefor insuring the survival of isengard and the destruction of Rohan (as sad as that is to say) Then there is the inevitable, Smaug at Minas Tirith. But yet, these are only if Sauron would do the obvious thing with Smaug... if Sauron had controll of Smaug and was smart he would do something along the lines of destroying Dunharrow after the evacuation of Edoras, or Destroying Dol Amaroth and the outlaying Gondorian citys preverntion any reinforcments reaching Minas tirith. Who knows, Smaug could have saved Dol-Guldur or stoped the advancing armies outside of Mordor's black gates therefor making the nazgul and or any other dark being sauron wanted, to stop frodo at mount doom... and these are just a few sugeustions
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:12 AM   #30
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

I am putting another reply to so I can put Great emphasys on this. All of you are stating about smaug's weak spot. What makes you think that Sauron would not do something to cover that spot up? Sauron could just as easily have his smithies forge some sort of breaste plate for Smaug's weak spot
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:27 AM   #31
Morgoth the Great
Haunting Spirit

Morgoth the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

good point steve. I dont think that Sauron would of sent Smaug to kill the Rinbearer in the Shire. Also, Smaug possessed the same arrogance that was almost Glaurungs demise. would he of thought himself above the Ringwraiths, and in so, become more of a liability to Sauron?
Old 08-14-2003, 08:30 AM   #32
Firnantoonion
Haunting Spirit

Firnantoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

what if he made Smaug the 'horse'for the witch-king, I would like to see that happen [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (and yes, i believe that Sauron could control Smaug)
Old 08-14-2003, 09:11 AM   #33
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If Smaug had helped Sauron, I doubt he would have been anyone's 'horse'. Dragons are their own masters.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:34 PM   #34
Firnantoonion
Haunting Spirit

Firnantoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was just a (ridiculous) thought wich suddenly came up by me.... but imagine:
witch-king: left!
smaug: no, right, there are the jewels!
witch-king: no left
etc. etc. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2003, 11:27 PM   #35
Ulmo's Wave

Sting

ok, so let's say that Sauron DOES decide to try to control Smaug. It has been said or emplied that Sauron's biggest assets are his ways of persuasion and putting fear into his enemies. However, how esactly would he do this to a dragon SO FAR AWAY. With orcs? No way. Nazgul? I don't even think the Nazgul could put much fear into a dragon. I think Sauron himself would have had to step foward. However i highly doubt this would ever happen. I think Sauron had much bigger problems than playing with an arrogant dragon. For one, his attacks on Lothlorien were failing. Two, he was being pushed out of Dol Guldur by the Council.

But one more thing,Smaug was an advantage to Sauron even though he wasn't in alliance with him. Think about it, Smaug had kept a lot of Northern Wilerland under pressure for many many year up until the few years before the Thorin and Company set out. I think people were more concerned with Smaug at the time. After all, Sauron was several hundreds of miles, and a mountain range away. But Smaug was a neighbor.
I like to think of Smaug as i do Shelob. They were just other things to keep people busy while Sauron did his thing.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:19 PM   #36
Loke Aesir

Sting

I just noticed that none here as far as I can see mentioned the fact that if Smaug lived, he could possibly have singlemouthedly have destroyed the Ring... and in that way, since Bilbo actually carried the Ring TO HIM, he could have made quite a treath to Sauron...
Old 01-18-2004, 06:52 PM   #37
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

Alright, let's just say that Smaug lives and somehow Bilbo gets home. He gives the Ring to Frodo etc, etc, and you get to the council of Elrond. Since Smaug lives there is no King under the Mountain. Gloin and Gimli are therefore not at the council. So who is the ninth person in the Fellowship? Another Elf? Also this would also mean that Balin and co. probably would not have set out to get Moria back. How would this change the course of the Fellowship? Would the Balrog have been awakened in the first place? If not, Gandalf would not have been lost. How about in Lothlorien? If they had had Gandalf and no dwarf would they have had more welcome? And all this is assuming Smaug did not go after the elves of the woodland realm. I don't know why he would but if he did would Aragorn have brought Gollum to them? I think not. Also, Legolas would not have then been at the Council of Elrond. What I'm trying to say is that Smaug living would have completely changed the course of LotR.

I think also that Sauron would have enlisted Smaug's help in the War, and also would have covered up his weak spot. I can hardly see Sauron sending an extremely powerful tool of his into battle with an obvious weak spot.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 08:35 PM   #38
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Ulmo's Wave, you said it yourself. Sauron could have easily persuaded Smaug to "follow," or rather, "work with" him. He was silver-tongued to persuade Elves to work with him, do you honestly think that it would be all that hard to persuade a Dragon to help you plunder, pillage, and cause murder and mayhem?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:54 PM   #39
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sauron did nothing to entice Smaug to help him when he was in Dol Guldur. Would/could he have when he was in Mordor? And Smaug didn't know about the Ring. If he had killed Bilbo, perhaps the corpse would have just lain there. Smaug might even have temporarily discombobulated the Nazgul if they came to get it.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:26 AM   #40
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

from UT (Gandalfs POV)
Quote:
You may think that Rivendell was out of his reach, but I did not think so. The state of things in the North was very bad. The kindom under the Mountain and the strong Med of Dale were no more. To resist any force that Suaron might send to regain the northern passes in the mountains and the old lands of Angmar there were only the Dwarves of the Iron Hlls, and behind them lay a desolation and a Dragon. The Dragon, Sauron might use with terrible effect. Often I said to myself: "I must find some means of dealing with Smaug.