The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2002, 08:57 PM   #1
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting Fan Fiction (any good stuff?)

(First of all, apologies to Chief BW if this is in the wrong section!)

Does anyone have any recomendations for ME fan fiction? More specifically do you think anyone else has managed to come near to the 'spirit of Tolkien'?

I've had a bit of a browse through the BW Fanfic section (steadfastly ignoring the Legolas loves fangirl type epics [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). To start the ball rolling I'd like to nominate 'Isildur' by Brian K Crawford. This is the closest I've seen anyone come to JRRT (except CRRRT [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ), with very few jarring notes, an excellent plot and well written. (Long too, reserve an hour or two to read it through). In the absence of any further 'canon' evidence on Isildur, this is how I'll imagine him!

The second one which caught my eye was 'Bolco Took in Massachusetts' by Daffodil Furrow. It has a huge religious aspect which irritated me less than I expected (I'm not very Xtian!) but is extremely well written and is continued on another website (link in the 'reviews' section). This one is nothing like JRRT but intriguing nevertheless.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:09 PM   #2
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would just suggest browsing the web for ME Fan Fiction.
Does anyone know if there were ever any authors who wrote anything about ME (tales/stories and stuff)?

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 10:25 PM   #3
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

Quote:
Does anyone know if there were ever any authors who wrote anything about ME (tales/stories and stuff)?
The Shannara and Wheel of Time series. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] That was a joke.

I suggest Fan Fiction by Mithadan.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:09 AM   #4
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

I actually haven't checked the Fanfiction section here at the Downs yet, but if you'll allow me to suggest another author from outside of the site, I'd be happy to! At fanfiction.net, there are a very good selection of fanfic authors who do come extremely close to the perfection that is Tolkien. My favorite LOTR fanfiction author is Thundera Tiger. She has some great stories. While the Ring Went South and Beyond This World are just quite marvelous. The latter deals with Gimli's death and how Legolas deals with it. Quite sad. The former is very entertaining and very riveting. Hope I've been of service! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 07:22 AM   #5
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Thanks for your recommendation, Elendur. I'm rather proud of my work even though it is read less frequently now that I haven't come up with a new installment in some time.

In our fan fiction section, I heartily recommend The Hobbits, by Gilthalion, a multi-chapter novella set years after the War of the Ring. I wish that I could be as prolific with my Tales From Tol Eressea as Gilthalion has been.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:29 AM   #6
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*adds her hearty recommendation of Mithadan's FanFic.* It's the best stuff out there by far.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:21 AM   #7
Ithilwen
Animated Skeleton

Ithilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

(Start shameless plug) Well, if you like Silmarillion-based material, you might like my stories. (End of shameless plug) Other good sites (besides the Downs) to find Tolkien fanfiction include fanfiction.net (although there's a lot of really bad material posted here), Nindaiwe, and The Henneth Annun Story Archive - the latter gets my vote for the best Tolkien story archive on the Web at the moment.

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Ithilwen ]
Old 08-29-2002, 04:14 PM   #8
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For fan fiction at the Downs I would recommend The Daughter of Rohan, I Sang for the Love of an Elf, and pratically anything by Talking Hawk.

---------------------------------------------
You shall not pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor! You cannot pass! Go back to the shadow! The Dark Fire will not avail you flame of Udun!
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 04:40 PM   #9
Erendis

Sting

I visit fanfiction.net more, so I'll give my opinion about fanfiction I've seen there. One of my favourites is 'Iris' by Rhyianna Merquise which is an Aragorn/Arwen short story and a song fic. 'Legolas and Nimrien: The Song More Fair' by Tian was written very Tolkien-like with a background of Unfinished Tales.
'To Love a Mortal' by LadyoftheRings is very good (up to chapter nine but that's just my opinion) and focuses on Elrohir. It has two sequels I believe but I haven't read them yet.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:07 PM   #10
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For fanfiction.net, I would recommend Veiling of the Sun by Maggie, an Alternate Universe story in which Boromir takes the One Ring from Frodo. I have yet to go through the fanfiction at the 'Downs.

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: dragongirlG ]
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 11:35 PM   #11
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

If any of you like X-Men... you should look for a story called "Mutant Lord of the Rings" at fanfiction.net - it is rather amusing... and the author is planning on going all the way to the end of the books (he's got quite a load to do!)
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 02:21 AM   #12
Lumbule

Sting

Hi
These fanfictions may not be written in Tolkiens style, but I think they are uncommonly good, although they surely are a matter of taste because they are very dark: "From the Dark Tower" by Anne Ellis (at nindaiwe) -incomplete, but still my favourite story of all-, "marinus stiria" by bryn, "One dark night" and "Body and Spirit" by Enros (all three at fanfiction.net).
Old 08-30-2002, 05:25 PM   #13
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

AT fanfiction.net, I highly reccomend ArtemisPrime's"Time and Space". It is extrodinarily well written. I've also heard Dwimordene is good, though I've ever actually read any of her stuff. IOf you hate Mary-Sues, and worship canon (like me) you'll love The Protectors of The Plot Continuum by Jay and Acacia (aka Harpwire, now long Exiled from ff.nt) And if you like Sil humor, this one has it all: If Women had Ruled Middle-Earth

[ August 31, 2002: Message edited by: Losthuniel ]
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 06:40 PM   #14
ork _huntr
Pile O'Bones

ork _huntr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to ork _huntr Send a message via AIM to ork _huntr
The Eye

i'd go with any talking hawk. dude where's my ring is really funny so is pizza ring of power and what if. i can't help you if you like sil based stuff. o and immortality is good too. very apocolypse now. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

oh.. so that's what that button does.
ork _huntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 12:53 PM   #15
Ithilwen
Animated Skeleton

Ithilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
AT fanfiction.net, I highly reccomend ArtemisPrime's"Time and Space". It is extrodinarily well written. I've also heard Dwimordene is good, though I've ever actually read any of her stuff. IOf you hate Mary-Sues, and worship canon (like me) you'll love The Protectors of The Plot Continuum by Jay and Acacia (aka Harpwire, now long Exiled from ff.nt) And if you like Sil humor, this one has it all: If Women had Ruled Middle-Earth
Losthuniel, have you checked out Mouse's new companion story to "If Women had Ruled Middle-Earth"? It's entitled Real Men Wear Jewelry, and spoofs the male cast of the Silmarillion. Pretty much anything Mouse writes is good. Other excellent writers of Silmarillion-based fanfiction I can wholeheartedly recommend include Deborah and Finch

And yes, Dwimordene is excellent - if you haven't read her stories, you should. She's probably writing the best LoTR-based fics out there.
Old 09-01-2002, 05:30 PM   #16
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thanks for all the suggestions guys and gals,

I've been reading Thundera Tiger's 'When the ring goes South' - very nicely written, good jokes and action, though not entirely sure Legolas and Gimli were THAT *****y!

Anyone read Isildur yet? I'd be interested to hear some opinions from Tolkien 'purists' [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I do like the fanfic to 'fill in' some of the odd corners and untold tales that JRRT never got round to,
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2002, 06:02 PM   #17
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

I am working on reading Isildur. I think that it is SOOOOO good!!!!! It is very well done and it absolutely has a Tolkien feel!!!!!!!!!
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Old 09-01-2002, 08:22 PM   #18
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I only just discoved it, Ithilwen. It made me laugh as hard as the first. Especially the part about a straightjacketed Feanor chasing Earendil.(that doesnt spoil it, dont worry).
Old 09-01-2002, 08:30 PM   #19
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I would recommend The Daughter of Rohan
lord help us all I've been recomended!! Thanx for the recomendation, Firondoiel. I didn't know anyone liked my story, well I knew sme liked it but I thought it was sort of like read it, review it, and forget about it!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

anywayz, I would say one of the best fan fics ever written by a mortal like us would be "I Sang for the Love of an Elf"!! Best fan fic ever!!!! Also "The Hobbits" by Giltailion is really really good!
Old 09-01-2002, 09:14 PM   #20
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Daughter of Rohan was a great story!!! One of my favorites. I've written a few, but only one is up on there. But anyway, I sang for the Love of an Elf is great. Even for a legolas story its awesome~
Old 09-05-2002, 01:15 PM   #21
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Two fanfics I heartily enjoyed are:
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/moo...040102_06.htmlThe Grey Ship</A>

and for very enlightening humor,
<a href = "http://greenbooks.theonering.net/moonletters/creative/files/c050102_03.html">The Fanfic Lounge</a>

...And Rumil, Daffodil Furrow sends a heartfelt Thank You.

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 09-06-2002, 06:08 PM   #22
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Sting

Well, i would have to say "Dude Where's my Ring?" That is the funniest story on the site! It is the reason i stayed here...i know, i'm pathetic...anywayz, next to that "the Quest for the Pizza Ring", and the best, personally is "Frodo and Sam's Excellent Adventure", and for all you in the chat, you know why...lol! But, if you haven't checked out the Fancif section here, you are really missing out! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 08:47 PM   #23
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

If you are looking for humor, I'd recommend Mary-Lou's story, Legolas Greenleaf's Diary. It's not like Cassandra Claire's version, however funny those may be. This is an in depth, step by step insane walkthrough of the journey from Rivendell to the Black Gates of Mordor. Humor, sarcasm, and narcissism hides around every corner! Trust me, read this and you won't regret it!

(Ok..that's enough free plugs for my favourite authors...Dwimordene is excellent, I've heard, but as I've yet to read anything from her I'll stick to Thundera Tiger. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 09:20 PM   #24
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dude, Where's my Ring? Is deffinatly the funniest fanfic I've ever read. It is a exellent story.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:43 PM   #25
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Anarya SilverBranch, Your welcome for the recomendation! You deserve it! Your story is one of my favorites! I can't wait for more of it!
Old 10-05-2002, 09:37 AM   #26
AragornsHeir
Animated Skeleton

AragornsHeir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AragornsHeir
Sting

Everyone read all of Bill the Pony's work. It's all really short but it all rocks! Bill the pony is actually the name of my favorate one that he did.
AragornsHeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:22 AM   #27
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Tolkien

Dude, Where's My Ring? was funny, but kind of wierd. I totally recommend The Hobbits by Gilthalion. I loved it!

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 11:21 AM   #28
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Well, not to sound stuck up or anything, I've got a story on fanfiction.net that everyone seems to think is really good. It's called A Dark Mind (& my pen name is SapphireMeriadocTook); I really do try to stay as true to the books as possible in it, it irritates me so bad when people totally butcher The Trilogy. On another note, the secret diaries that are at full-bloom.net are really funny, kinda slashy, but very amusing. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Anyway, that's my two cents. Thank you!!! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 01:54 PM   #29
Eldanuumea
Pile O'Bones

Eldanuumea has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldanuumea
Silmaril

If it is okay to mention other sites, I have four-and-a-half Aragorn stories on my website: www.ecthelion.net
They are also posted at the fan fiction forum over at SF-Fandom (Xenite).
I would love to hear from anyone who takes the time to read any of them. They are about Aragorn's life before 3018.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:47 PM   #30
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I found this last night, and i was bawling my eyes out (I never cry)Beyond the Worldby Thundera Tiger.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:58 PM   #31
Nar
Wight

Nar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked Ithilwen's stories about Maedhros a great deal; they were very thoughful and moving. I liked Mithaden's stories and Gilthoniel's stories and Daffodil Furrows' story.
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 06:22 AM   #32
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Check this one out: " Nemitor - The First Tale by Menehiswen ". There's one very good-sized chapter, and it's off to a roaring good start.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:52 PM   #33
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

On this site's fanfic i loved all written by Talking Hawk. He is really great, Baylor is good and carris has a godd story, too. I'll have to try someother sites. I really love reading these stories.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:33 AM   #34
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

Check out the Hidden Archives. Also check out Jocelyn's works on fanfiction.net. Also take a look at Ithilien's writings. I am not sure whether either of these writers write in Tolkien's style, but they are very good--and very addictive! Set aside at least a week for Jocelyn's "A Little Nudge Out of the Door" which is twice as long as the Hobbit.

If you are looking for something darker, I would suggest Yours Truly's (not me, an author's name) Master in Deceiving or my own rather gory Battle Beneath the Trees. Another good dark-themed one is Ithilwen's After Amputations. It is a poem, but still very, very good and thought provoking.

Sorry about all of these being outside links, but I frequent fanfiction.net more than the BD fanfiction section.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:37 PM   #35
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

For extremely well-written hobbit-lore, I would highly recommend all of Baylor's work which can be found at the following site:

Mushrooms By Baylor

My personal favorite is the haircut scene from "The Care and Feeding of Hobbits", all of which is superbly written from Boromir's perspective; but that is a hard choice, and there are many other works there which I seriously enjoy. There is a new work underway about Pippin's recovery after Morannon which is excellent.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:48 PM   #36
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Altariel's A Game of Chess is a wonderfully well-written story about Faramir and Eowyn that's set after the War of the Ring. I can't praise it enough. Just read it!

-Lily
Old 05-17-2003, 08:27 AM   #37
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I write LoTR fanfiction, check it out if you would like to.

daisy's fanfiction profile
Old 05-17-2003, 08:52 AM   #38
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I will recommend Baylor until I go blue in the face. Here, and on her own site. She's just simply amazing. Her picture of Piipin might jar with Billy Boyd but that doesn't make either portrayal "bad". "Handkerchiefs and Mushroom soup", "the Road and the End" and "I always know you" made me cry buckets, (but then thinking about Merry and Pippin dying always get me), while "The Care and Feeding of Hobbits" and "Faramir the Great and Magnificent" made me laugh so hard. It may not be authentic Tolkien but for entertainment value it's up there with any book I paid for!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 10:54 AM   #39
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Personaly I love one of the ones in mark12_30s signature and would definetly recomend it! There are three of them, but I love The Fairy Wife in particular. I could not stop reading it once I started. That diary of Legolas Greenleaf one is great too!

[ May 17, 2003: Message edited by: Arafangwen ]
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 01:27 AM   #40
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Oh my word I just read a couple of chapters of The Fairy Wife, I love it!!! I see what you mean....
Quote:
I could not stop reading it once I started
Where does everyone find this fanfiction?
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote