The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2003, 03:29 AM   #41
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

and if they dont, its not the end of the world. Ylu cant make LOTR your whole life. I've seen some people on here treat it like the bible. Its a wonder that they ever see the real light, as in the sunlight. I would advise you never to get like that. LOTR can be very addictive, but dont let it ruin your life. There is a whole world out there, you know, got find it, and take you friends with you.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:56 AM   #42
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Enjoy LotR in whatever way you want. I personally don't think that what other people think matters. Let them think what they want. It is what you think about yourself that counts.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:06 PM   #43
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Oh please. Whoever needs these annoying entities known as "friends" anyway? Much better to sit in a dark closet by yourself, muttering in Elvish, and wallowing in your own intellectual supremacy.
My life... How did you know, Lush? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Somehow, I feel that this little topic would be a good Grave Matters question.

Becoming Annoyed (yet again),
Iarwain
Old 07-03-2003, 05:10 PM   #44
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Quote:
I don't have any obsessed LOtr friends, but I have a few who have more than just a passing interest in them.
Same here, but they totally despise the books, calling them boring and bragging that they were so bad that they fell asleep in chapter one. I don't tell them I'm obsessed, but I often talk about it, mainly the movies since they've only seen those and enjoyed them. Only one of my best buddies is obsessed (along with her cousin), but I only get to see them about once a month. But I never pester my friends about LOTR, as it seems that you may be doing, Rindoein. I advise just keeping quiet about it, and eventually they should forget aout your obsession. Oh, and I also advise you don't insult their favorite books without expecting them to lash back in return.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 10:09 PM   #45
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

Okay, your friends have to be fair about this, You love LOTR, but you don't want to lose your friends. But they shouldn't be judgemental about your intrests!!! Just leave LOTR out of most conversations with Megan, but talk about it freely with Anna (without bragging), just to see how trustworthy Anna is. Your friends can't control who you are!!!! Whatever you do, DO NOT abandon LOTR for your friends!!!!!!!! You must live your life YOUR WAY, and if they don't like it, just say to them, "Tough, it's my way or the highway!" [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] . You will feel great that you stood up for yourself [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Good Luck!!
Old 07-05-2003, 07:26 PM   #46
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I can't see why either of you can't just go on being friends with different interests. It's plain and simple. Just tell her sorry if you insulted what she likes, and tell her that you don't see why she has such a problem with yours. Nicely, though, nicely.

I guess you can just forget Anna. Just be as polite to her as you can. In other words, ignore her!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:39 PM   #47
Gamja
Haunting Spirit

Gamja has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gamja
Sting

ditch LOTR. friendship is more important. however, if they're not very good friends, then ditch them and find some new ones that like LOTR.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:08 AM   #48
mrslegolastoyou

Sting

just tell her if she doesn't like LOTR then tell her to bad cause you do and to not make such a big deal about it and if she keeps on going then tell her that yyou love her but that you don't want to give up LOTR because its the best thing that happened to you (it was the best thing that happened to me bisides POTC and BHD) and yyou don't want to give up on your friendship or LOTR and yyour not picking one or the other because you love them both teribbly (it worked on me because I have a friend named megan but she still acts mean but she's much better! the coolist thing is she's a coverted yankee and she's part cherokee and part some other type of I ndian and I love Indians and we have some things in comon but not alot)
Old 07-10-2003, 09:18 AM   #49
Måns
Haunting Spirit

Måns has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm, I think she is just complaining to give a show, for who coudl not, in the bottom of ones mind lover LotR above all else? In every dark heart, there is a small ray of ligh shining through, the light of Tolkien. For some reason, tehre are people who are very ill. These people have a feeling, given them by J.K. Rowling or some otehr B fantasy writer that they must be hacking of TTF. How do i not pity those mislead poor persons, but not as much as I pity those who areyet unaware of the great joy of this world, ME.

Seriously, if she ahs a problem with you talking about LotR, that's her problem and she can choose to be your friend nad should be taht even if you are talking about a book she does not like.

What I don't understand in this thread is Iarwain (but who does understand the oldest of all [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]), What are you getting so annoyed at all the time? I haven't seen anything that could annoy someone except maybe that someone would want to end a friendship because of LotR.

Oh well [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Maybe you'll explain yo us who know less of your mind, Måns

Josef Stalin
Måns is offline   Reply With Quote