The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-25-2001, 11:41 PM   #1
Treebeard

Eye Tom Bombadil

I'd just like to ask what race he is. From the first description, I thought he was a Dwarf, but obviously he doesn't appear to be so. I don't really have much of a mental image of him; anything anyone would like to say would be appreciated. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2001, 02:18 AM   #2
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dűm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

there's quite a few posts about that very topic [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] some say he is Maia...I'm sticking to him being an enigma *shrugs* the novel gives quite a detailed description of him I believe...stockings and so on???
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 02:13 PM   #3
Arwen

Sting

i've always thought of tom to be a little elvish, but maybe thats just me. hes as old as middle earth but no one is sure who or what he is.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:46 PM   #4
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Maia, as no enigmas were mentioned as being in the halls of Iluvatar during the making of Arda, nor of any being made by him. Only the Valar,Maia, and Illuvatar himself. Bombadil was a Maia who came to Arda to aid the Valar as they prepared it for the awakening of the Children of Iluvatar.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 03:24 AM   #5
chesterton

Sting

You are right that Tom must be a Maia. However, I think Tolkien just put him in there for fun. Its been said that Tom Bombadil was the spirit of the English counrtyside that Tolkien loved but was being threatened by industry. The actual name "Tom Bombadil" and the specifics of his dress were based on one of the dolls of Tolkien's daughter. I love how Tolkien put this amazing character,who is not important in the plot, right into the story.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:32 PM   #6
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

Don't make me start slapping people around!

Several threads that do everything but take the tom is a maia theory and throw it down on the ground kick it around a few times then take all its money are here, here, here, and here

I may actually post more if I get a response saying that someone still thinks Tom is a Maia. Because we all know people are not entitled to their own opinion, except me.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 08:23 AM   #7
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Sorry. I think that if Tom must be categorized then he must be considered a Maia (apologies for throwing about terms you may not be familiar with Treebeard; as I recall you have not yet read the Silmarillion). JRRT created a cosmology which is fundamentally consistent internally. Virtually everything can be explained or placed into a category within this cosmology. Why must Tom be different?

But let's consider what JRRT says. In Letters he refers to Tom as an enigma, a position many are satisfied with. Is there more info on Tom? YES. In Return of the Shadow, JRRT's outline of In the House of Tom Bombadil does have some commentary. JRRT calls Tom an "aborigine"! What does this mean? *Mithadan opens his copy of the OED* "First or earliest so far as science gives record: primitive: strictly native, indigenous" And also: "Dwelling in any country before the arrival of later, European colonists." The "colonists" are Elves and Men and it is their "science" which creates the record of Middle Earth. So Tom was earlier than Elves and Men, a "native" and "indigenous" to the land. Ooooo. This should give people some cannon fodder. Why Tom's nature is of such interest has always been beyond me, but have fun people.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:27 AM   #8
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Quote:
Maia, as no enigmas were mentioned as being in the halls of Iluvatar during the making of Arda, nor of any being made by him.
Ungoliant was anomalous and somewhat enigmatic. Not nearly as popular as Tom, but I think probably of a similar nature. She's an example that not everything in Arda was designated to be there.

Quote:
Bombadil was a Maia who came to Arda to aid the Valar as they prepared it for the awakening of the Children of Iluvatar.
This kind of statement may be fine when you're debating with people who know you have no explicit evidence to back up your assertion, but please don't confuse the Tolkien novices.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 01:17 PM   #9
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

My personal theory is that him and his wife are the reincarnations of Beren and Luthien. But that's a bit far fetched, however he could be their son.
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 01:01 PM   #10
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Is it possible Tom is a retired Wizard?? (I know we aren't really meant to know but I thought I'd ask for a non Barrow Downs friend who thought of that) Thanks [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
PS. I like the Beren and Luthien theory!!

[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: Lhunbelethiel ]
Old 09-03-2002, 01:09 PM   #11
Aramacil
Wight

Aramacil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always thought he was some kind of dwarf with some elfy powers, but i guess he's more than that.
A wizard is possible too, actually i don't have a clue

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2002, 06:18 PM   #12
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

Quote:
My personal theory is that him and his wife are the reincarnations of Beren and Luthien. But that's a bit far fetched, however he could be their son.
Beren and Lúthien's son was Dior, who (if I'm not mistaken) was killed by the sons of Fëanor when they tried to take the Nauglimir/Silmaril from him. And remember, when Elves are reincarnated, they come back with the same name. Tom was not the son of Beren and Lúthien.

In another thread (in the Books section), it was clearly stated (with quotes) that Tom wasn't a Maia. No one is sure quite what he was (except the great JRRT, of course), but I'm inclined to believe the "enigma" theory, like Ungoliant.

And since Tom couldn't be a Maia, he couldn't be a "retired wizard", along with the fact that Tolkien wrote how only 5 Istari came to the north-west of Middle-earth, and we're pretty sure Tom isn't Alatar or Pallando.

[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: Manwe Sulimo ]
Old 09-09-2002, 10:08 AM   #13
Donisile Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Donisile Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Donisile Of Mirkwood
Sting

I always imagined him as a Hobbit sized elf. lol
Old 09-09-2002, 10:37 AM   #14
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here. Regardless of what I think Tom is, he isn't any sort of Elf or Dwarf or Hobbit. Most of what was said in this thread is explicitly wrong. I'm sure you can find plenty about what Tom isn't with a search or two, so I won't get into it any farther than I just have.

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: burrahobbit ]
Old 09-13-2002, 10:49 AM   #15
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I was just wondering what Tom really is. I would have imagined that Frodo was quite pensive about Who Tom really is.

I don't really know what an Ea is, but it does make sense.

The link to your post was an answered prayer, burro. I was just leaving the Tom B chapter and it's my first time to read FotR. *kisses burro on both cheeks and shakes his hand*
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote