The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2007, 05:35 AM   #1
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Narya On the elven ring stones

Greetings,

I was just wondering (after a conversation I had yesterday if anyone though that the three stones in the elven rings had any special properties that led to them being chosen or were they simply and ordinary diamond, (presumably) ruby, and (presumably) saphirre?
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I think they were "ordinary" stones, except probably that they'd surely be prized just as stones. I'm not an expert in these things, but I mean that they would have been probably valued gems among the goldsmiths&co., like in our world there are some prized exemplars of diamonds and whatever (though the only example I can think of now is the Pink Panter ). But aside from that, these stones, I am quite sure, had nothing special on them, at least not any "powers" or similar things.

However, what exactly they were I'm not quite sure - Galadriel's Ring had surely diamond in it, but it would be interesting if anyone could bring any evidence of what the other two stones could have been (though sapphire and ruby are the most typical choices, Alfirin is right to say "presumably", as we don't know for sure).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
Quempel
Haunting Spirit

Quempel has just left Hobbiton.
I always assumed Galadriels ring had a sliver of sil in it, not a diamond. As for the other two rings, my guess is Gil-galads had a blue stone because it was his signature color? And perhaps the same can be said for the red.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
Galadriel's ring is referred to as the Ring of Adamant which suggests that its particular stone was a diamond.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I don't think the silmarils were the kind of stones that could be split, so a sil sliver doesn't seem possible. Adamant does usually mean diamond, though it could mean any very hard substance, so it's not definite.

My opinion is that the stones' colours are symbolic for their meanings: red for fire, white for water, blue for air. Foster's Guide does say that the blue stone was a sapphire, though I haven't yet looked up any quotes for Tolkien's final word on it.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
From Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age;

Quote:
Therefore ere the Third Age was ended the Elves perceived that the Ring of Sapphire was with Elrond, in the fair valley of Rivendell, upon whose house the stars of heaven most brightly shone
Old 09-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Quempel
Haunting Spirit

Quempel has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks for the clarification. Adamant makes sense.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:22 AM   #8
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Hooray!

And I found it; here it is about all of the Rings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age
Now these were the Three that had last been made, and they possessed the greatest powers. Narya, Nenya, and Vilya, they were named, the Rings of Fire, and of Water, and of Air, set with ruby and adamant and sapphire
That's for my own relief.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote