The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Elfhelm's Elf Helm

After reading the threads on Elves and Gondor and Elves and Dunland a though occurs to me.
Doesnt the fact that Elfhelm has an Elf Helm meat that at some point there was likey contact between the elves and Rohan. Elfhelm woud have had to get the helmet from somewhere, and if it wasn't the result of direct contact (i.e. Elfhelm recieving it personally from the elves) I would at least seem to be evidece of someone say an ancestor of Elfhelm recieving it. there is of couse that chance that the Helm came from some battlefield or was a war trophy but this doesn't really feel right.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
After reading the threads on Elves and Gondor and Elves and Dunland a though occurs to me.
Doesnt the fact that Elfhelm has an Elf Helm meat that at some point there was likey contact between the elves and Rohan. Elfhelm woud have had to get the helmet from somewhere, and if it wasn't the result of direct contact (i.e. Elfhelm recieving it personally from the elves) I would at least seem to be evidece of someone say an ancestor of Elfhelm recieving it. there is of couse that chance that the Helm came from some battlefield or was a war trophy but this doesn't really feel right.
Dragon treasure, maybe? The horn given to Merry by Éowyn came from the hoard of the dragon Scatha, and who knows what all he had acquired over the years.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Maybe the name might mean something like: 'protected (as if) by Elves (magic)'?

But I might be off. The name occurs in Primary World sources, and Leonid L. Korablev's The True Elves of Europe suggests a meaning (not necessarily in a Tolkien context, although '(cf. Elfhelm of Rohan)' is also noted): 'protected by Elves? (helm-protection by Elves)'. The site also notes:

Quote:
Searle's "Onomasticon" (mentioned by Arundell Lowdham, a character of JRRT's "Notion Club Papers") contains 35 different names of the form AElf + adjective (noun); it mentions 75 recorded bearers of the name AElfwine "Elf-friend".
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:11 AM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
Does it say he has an "Elf helm"? I thought that was just his name.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think its just his name - & the 'helm' element doesn't necessarily mean helmet - it had a range of meanings in Anglo-Saxon:
Quote:
helm [] 1. m (-es/-as) protection, defence, covering, crown; summit, top (of trees); helmet; 2 protector, lord;
This is a decent Anglo-Saxon dictionary http://home.comcast.net/~modean52/oeme_dictionaries.htm

Elfhelm/Aelfhelm is a fairly common Anglo-Saxon name & I suspect Tolkien simply liked the sound of it.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I guess the real question is, why did Elfhelm want protection from Elves?
Old 10-31-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Maybe he just "had it". Like, you know, sort of this "oh, this boy is certainly blessed by gods" as we know it from many ancient myths and legends, or something like that. So, like, "mysterious powers (i.e. Elves, for the Rohirrim) guard this boy". Or it could be any way...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Because with Theodred based at Helm's deep and Eomer at Aldburg he was the one who had to deal with Grima on a daily basis ...for seven years .... enough to get the doughtiest warrior feeling he needed any help going....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I wouldn't take it any more literally than the genuine OE name Aelfwine "elf-friend"- which didn't imply that the bearer palled around with actual elves!