The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2004, 02:34 PM   #161
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Just saw it last night. Just a <I>bit</I> late, but you'll have to forgive me, fist I was stuck in Eastern Europe, then I was stuck without a car on campus, you know how it goes...<P>Anyway, it was a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful film. Imperfect, like all things under the sun, and still impossible to forget. <P>My boyfriend was notably miffed about the fact that "the bad guys on the huge elephants" looked so darn Arab (him being Arab and all). <P>I was miffed by whole "Arwen is dying" line, which made it seem as if Arwen has some sort of deadly allergy to the Ring. <P>The Denethor munching/Pippin singing/Gondorians riding sequence was spectacular, engaging the senses and clawing at yer heart. <P>Am now hoping that Faramir and Eowyn's budding relationship will have its place in the extended edition.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #162
Sparrow
Animated Skeleton

Sparrow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was indeed an imperfect film, but less so than most of the rubbish I have seen this year.<P>Actually, it was one of the most visually spectacular and engaging films I have seen in a long while. Peter Jackson decided to digress from the plot of the books a bit, particularly with regards to the ending, but who can blame him? The movie would have been 3 hours of build-up, ten minutes of climax and another two hours to wrap it all up. Sounds just like a bad date.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>My boyfriend was notably miffed about the fact that "the bad guys on the huge elephants" looked so darn Arab (him being Arab and all).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, my homie Arif had something to say about that too. Although that one <I>mumak</I> rider who Eomer speared looked like a grinning, muscular, war-painted real life version of Homer Simpson.<P>~Sparrow<p>[ 3:44 PM January 13, 2004: Message edited by: Sparrow ]
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 07:53 PM   #163
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I've seen it three times, and I won't comment on the best scenes or the worst scenes or anything like that. Three words sum it all up for me: Stunning, intense, and emotive. Very emotive. On second thought, beautiful and painful could be added to the list. I find ROTK to be very emotionally draining, indeed, emotionally distressing. The day after I see it, I'm always a bit aloof, and liable to start crying about something that reminds me of the Grey Havens.<P>EDIT: Wow, I forgot about the crying and all of that. I went to see it for the third time on my birhtday, and loved it most then. Walking out of the theaterfelt like floating. The first time I cried a bit at the Grey Havens. The second time I <I>wept</I> at the Grey Havens. The third time I almost started crying at most of the big emotional parts (Tower of Cirith Ungol, the "strawberries" conversation, Gandalf's description of Valinor, The End of All Things, pretty much all the Frodo and Sam stuff), and wept again at the end, even though the tears never really made it down my face. Maybe I'm just romantic and silly, but I never wipe off the tears I cry during ROTK- I leave them there, as a sort of tribute to it. <p>[ 9:16 PM January 17, 2004: Message edited by: Luthien_ Tinuviel ]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 08:05 PM   #164
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I saw ROTK for the 3rd time today and I tell you everytime I see this movie I come out loving it more and more - and I don't know why but this time I cried more than I usually do when I watch ROTK!<P>I am already planning my 4th viewing and I hope I will see it again before it leaves theaters!