The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2003, 03:00 PM   #1
dwarfwarrior
Pile O'Bones

dwarfwarrior has just left Hobbiton.
Sting gimli in valinor

what was there for gimli in valinor?would he not be looked down upon for being a dwarf?
dwarfwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 03:19 PM   #2
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Did Gimli even go to Valinor? I thought he just went sailing with Legolas. Of course, I could be wrong...this happens alot... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 03:33 PM   #3
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

In Appendix B it says
Quote:
Then Legolas built a grey ship in Ithilien, and sailed down Anduin and so over the Sea; and with him, it is said, went Gimli the Dwarf.
Apparently, 'over the Sea' means going to Valinor. And about whether Gimli would be looked down on, remember that Aule made the dwarves, so I don't think he would be completely snubbed, since one of the Vala made his race. That's just my thoughts, so anyone else have any info?
Peace
Old 05-22-2003, 04:20 PM   #4
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He probably received some odd looks, but I do not think the people of Aman would be so shallow as to ridicule him. Seems that the elves would lose their dislike for the dwarves after being among Maiar and Valar for so long. If it was Numenor, perhaps, but the Ainur had deep appreciation for all that Eru gave life. The Teleri may not be pleased, remembering the death of Thingol, but hopefully they would hear out the deeds of Gimli and observe his friendship with Legolas and Galadriel. Legolas wouldn't have much influence aside from simply being an elf with a dwarf friend (until they heard the tale of his deeds also), but Galadriel was the most beautiful of Finwe's house and greatest of the Noldor (save perhaps Feanor, who is held in the halls of Mandos), and at her word, they would undoubtedly welcome him.

[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 05-22-2003, 04:54 PM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Perhaps Gimli had a secret agenda all along. What better way to get into the record books as first Dwarf to enter Valinor than to butter up one of the greatest of the Noldor and form a strong friendship with another Elf who might be able to get you there? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 05-22-2003, 05:03 PM   #6
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Tee-hee. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (By the way, Saucepan Man, I like the avatar.)

I don't think Gimli was actually even thinking of Valinor earlier. I would imagine that it came as something of a surprise to him when Legolas asked him to come with him to the Undying Lands. I wouldn't be surprised if at first the Elves avoided him, but they would probably grow used to having a dwarf among them.

~Menelien
Old 05-22-2003, 11:28 PM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Since no mortals were allowed to enter Valinor, I can only suppose that Gimli only made it as far as Tol Eressëa.

Hey, if it was off-limits to Frodo, then there's no way that they'd let a dwarf in.

[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 11:48 PM   #8
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just like the hobbits though, he wouldn't have had much time to enjoy it! He was already about 260 years old by that point. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] poor old Gimli...
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 03:21 AM   #9
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I'd always imagined, in my foolish romantic way, that he just wanted to see Galadriel again before he died.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:11 AM   #10
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I imaging that Gimli had already felt the oncoming of old age when Aragorn died. He would ahve know that Legolas was to sail west and I imagined Gimli asking Legolas to take him abord for only that purpose: See Galadriel again before he died.
But well, old age lasted for about ten years in race of Dúrin. And I think ten years in Eressea are a very fine expierence.

Wouldn't you give a lot for having a chance to see that island, even when it was only for short moment? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 07:16 AM   #11
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would be surprised if he wasn't greeted with open arms by the Eldar and Valar. Surely the Noldor would greet him just because they loved Aule (me! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]).

Vanyar would greet him because he has been allowed in, to do otherwise would be disrespecting the Vala and their wishes. Being wise and everything i don't think they would have anything against him even though he be rough and unlovely to look on.
The Teleri, well i have no idea what the

Teleri would think, maybe they would still hold a grudge but i would think that to be short lived esp after Galadriel gives a little talk on how brave Gimli is.

My 2 cents [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2003, 01:56 PM   #12
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The thought of Gimli doing that for Galadriel is so sad! Tragic and heroic at the same time. Whats happening to me? lol
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 11:11 AM   #13
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

hmmmm this is a good one...he probably wouldnt be allowed to go to valinor and stay at eressea, but im sure legolas would stay with him and galadrial probably visited!
Old 05-25-2003, 11:07 AM   #14
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

where does it say that Frodo was not allowed in Valinor? Or is this just opinion?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:26 PM   #15
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think that Frodo, Bilbo, and Gimli would have been allowed to go to Valinor. It was just the Elves involved in the Rebellion of the Noldor who were "condemned" to live in Tol Eressea, not in Valinor. Considering the personal sacrifices that those three made, I think it would be unfair to prevent them from coming to Valinor. After all, how would Frodo be healed? I'm sure that he must have needed a little shuteye in the gardens of Lorien.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 09:09 AM   #16
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Would Frodo or Gimli even want to go? If I were on an island in Paradise, would I even care what was at the end of the Eresea to Valinor fairy express?
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 10:09 PM   #17
Neithan the Wronged

Tolkien

I think Legolas would be just as out of place as Gimli. Remember that he is Moriquendi, and his ancestors never saw the light of the two trees. The ban of the Valar yet applies to him. I also think that in light of Gimli and Legolas', as well as the hobbits' heroic deeds in the War of the Ring, they would have been welcomed onto the white shores of Valinor with open arms, and then lived there in bliss unto the end of their days. Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the exiled Noldor were not confined to Tol Eressea, but if they renounced their pride, they were likewise welcomed back into Valinor.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:03 AM   #18
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They'd be just as welcome as anyone else in Valinor. It's not an unfriendly palce you know...

Galdriel, mroe than anything, would have been Gimli's reason for going. :'(

Imagine the pampering he'd get from Aule though!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 03:58 PM   #19
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
If I were on an island in Paradise, would I even care what was at the end of the Eresea to Valinor fairy express?
I know I would.... But I think it was stated in Letters, at least, that Frodo and Bilbo (and later Sam [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) all remained in Tol Eressea. Sad, but it unfortunately appears to be true. If they weren't allowed in, I doubt that Gimli would be, either. Now if someone knows where to find the quote....

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 08:30 AM   #20
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

The Vanya wouldn't have ever seen dwarves before. They might have heard of them but they never would have seen one. I bet Gimli would have got some attention from them [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And the Noldor... Well the ones that came back from Middle Earth might be glad to see a memoia from ME, but they might not like him for the same reason...
Old 12-24-2003, 02:56 PM   #21
Schamone

1420!

it says that any mortal who gets "across the sea" must still die but it says they die of their own free will so he would have died when he fancied it so he would have as much time to do what he wants (supposing he gets in)
Old 12-24-2003, 04:38 PM   #22
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

We know that Frodo, Bilbo, and Gimli "get in" to Valinor, because Tolkien tells us so. The only "iffy" Hobbit is Sam, but I'm pretty sure that he made it to Valinor.

I see no reason why Legolas shouldn't be allowed into Valinor, Neithan. He did no wrong. In fact, he did a great thing, helping to heal the rift between the Elves and Dwarves. Since when does being Moriquendi exclude one from sailing to Valinor? This isn't pre-Civil War society, where having African blood made you an outcast in the eyes of the "pure-blood" Anglo-Americans.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:02 PM   #23
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Luthien, I remember that bit from the Letters, too. Though I don't believe I'd feel grudging if I were *only* allowed to stop at Tol Eressea - I doubt it was exactly an unpleasant place, and in some ways may have been more comfortable for mortals who weren't originally designed to be in that region at all.

As for Gimli, I'm sure that the chance to see Galadriel would outweigh any other considerations. Though if he was set off at Tol Eressea - and he probably would be - I'd hope that at least one of the hobbits would still be around for companionship. They'd have to have lived an awfully long time beyond the normal hobbit-span, though.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:09 AM   #24
BaneManwe

Shield

Dont forget Aule could be tom bombadil so he wouldnt be in valinor to stick up for the dwarves
Old 12-28-2003, 04:59 PM   #25
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Just as an interesting point: If you look in the appendices, you'll find that Gimli died the same year he set sail with Legolas. So it would appear that he only just got to see The Blessed Realm, maybe live there for a very short time, and then died. Sad, but in a way kind of beautiful, too. (You see from the dwarven family tree at the end of Appnedix A that Gimli died in Fourth Age 120, and in Appendix B it says that he set sail that same year).

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:04 PM   #26
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

That supports the common theory that Gimli set sail to Aman just to look upon Lady Galadriel's face, "one last time." It seems like something he would do.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:26 AM   #27
meggymoomoo

Sting

i think he would have been allowed there, he was given life to by eru and the elves would respect that, anyway frodo was allowed to go so why shouldnt gimli be allowed
Old 12-30-2003, 11:32 AM   #28
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah, but who's to say that for the sake of record keeping, sicne nobody in Middle-earth knew when he died in Valinor, that his death was recorded as the alst year he spent in Mortal Lands?

About Tol Erresea...yes, it does seem anticlimatic, cruel even, to not let them go beyond. From my point of view...the Middle-earthans [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] , especially Elves, seem to have viewed it as being Paradise eqaul to Valinor. Wierd?

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:10 PM   #29
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

That's quite true. I don't think anyone had the time, resources, authority, or inclination to sail all the way to Aman and back just to find out if the Dwarf was dead or not. *snickers*