The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 04:03 PM   #321
Ugluk-120

The Eye

Won't anyoneh tell me wgere the Warg Riders came from, and were the things that rode them Urkhai, goblins, orcs, or some kind of other type of beast. Please tell Ugluk-120.

From
Ugluk-120
the master of the Urkhai

Old 10-10-2003, 09:41 PM   #322
miellien
Animated Skeleton

miellien has just left Hobbiton.
Oops, I guess I should have stopped by here awhile ago!! I came over to this site via a link from the Lord of the Rings Fanatics site --which kept shutting down my computer!! Don't tell them I said this, but this site is more fun. Or I could be paraphrasing (FOP). Longtime Tolkien reader, but only recently got at-home access to the internet.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:36 PM   #323
Elenil

Silmaril

Hi

Well I am not new just a old member who got tired of their name (it happens you know!) so I guess I will be seeing you around. Wonders if anyone knows what her old name was

~Elenil~

Old 10-11-2003, 05:59 PM   #324
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Suilad, all you new members! I hope all of you have a good time being dead, and remember, do not anger the Barrow-Wight for he is "subtle and quick to anger." [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:02 PM   #325
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Greetings Elenil,

Well I don't know who you were before but Welcome back! I love your avatar!

Niluial
Old 10-13-2003, 01:42 AM   #326
Elf-maiden

Sting

Hiya! I am Elf-maiden. My friends call me elfy or EM, either one is fine. I am an active member at TORC aka Tolkienonline.com so come vist the when you have the chance. See ya 'round! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2003, 09:28 AM   #327
Rowan Earien

1420!

Hello all, I am Rowan Earien, and have joined the forum finally thanks to my good friend, Finwe!

yours in Tolkien forever,
Rowan

Old 10-13-2003, 10:44 AM   #328
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Elf Maiden: Elfy or EM...well, this is a Tolkien site, to say elfy would be to risk about a quarter of the site turn around and ask if you meant them. Lets stick with EM...or maybe just Em... Welcome to the site anyway, whatever your name may turn out to be!

Rowan - finally? Another finally? Well, good to know membership is well thought out...and so our world domination continues...ahem, welcome Rowan (I love that name). BTW, I like your sig!

Elenil: Welcome...back! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] You got tired of your name? Well thats gotta be a first. Now, who could you have been...go on, a clue, a clue, a clue? *claps hands, jumping around*

Miellien - wow, thats a bit of a mouthful! Pretty though, sounds almost ripply...
Quote:
Dont tell them I said this
*gasps* Goodness me, shocking! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Your secrets safe with us, sweetie - welcome to the site [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 11:40 AM   #329
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Rowan! Glad to see you've finally joined!

(I've been after her for MONTHS, and she finally does it!) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:41 PM   #330
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Who were you, Elenil? My mind is completely blank.

Rowan, don't you know that when someone tells you about such an awesome site, you should register right away? It saves time. Oh, that reminds me; I have to go email someone about registering.

Finwe, I know exactly how you feel...
Old 10-13-2003, 11:40 PM   #331
LainaValinor

Sting

Greetings to all!
I know I lurked about here for a while last year, but I cannot for the life of me recall whether I registered. Ah well, I am most certainly registered now, and I look forward to much LotRific Tolkienations in the very near future...

Old 10-14-2003, 08:18 PM   #332
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

Hey everyone, I was gone for a while and now I'm back... I don't know how frequently I can visit, but I hope I will be able to once in a while.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:26 PM   #333
Elsilda
Pile O'Bones

Elsilda has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Greetings,

I’m new and excited here! This is my first post, so hello. This is such a spiffy board. Well I’m going to hop a long and post a bit!

~Elsilda~

[ October 14, 2003: Message edited by: Elsilda ]
Old 10-15-2003, 11:04 AM   #334
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Welcome to all new Newbies that I have not already welcomed!

Quote:
do not anger the Barrow-Wight for he is "subtle and quick to anger."
Clever, Finwe!

If you do accidentally annoy the Barrow-Wight, learn from your mistake and I am sure you will be forgiven. The Barrow-Wight's not that mean! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Yeah, I have friends who I had to pester for quite a while to get them to come here. I have succeeded with three of them though!
Old 10-15-2003, 12:43 PM   #335
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm not really new...I just haven't been on for a few ages...Heh heh...
Old 10-15-2003, 02:44 PM   #336
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Meat cleaver.........

I mean hi al you newly deads look through the reast of this thread and see the advice!
Old 10-15-2003, 07:18 PM   #337
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Welcome to BD, Elsilda. And welcome back Sillabub, and, most specially, Kit! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-Menelien
Old 10-19-2003, 09:35 AM   #338
lordess _mystique

Sting

Hello Everyone. I'm not really new, but I only posted once during the summer, and then disappeared, so I was wondering if I could get to know some of you!
-mystique

Old 10-19-2003, 10:03 AM   #339
Geffen

1420!

Hey all,

I'm obviously new as well, glad to be a part of what is truly the most comprehensive and interesting J.R.R.T. fan site I have ever come accross. I made one post in the Green Dragon, but I don't have a clue what I'm doing yet, so if you are reading this; bare with me.

Thanks everyone.

Geffen.

Old 10-19-2003, 10:46 AM   #340
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

WELCOME ALL NEWCOMERS!

*goes around bonking everyone with a squeaky tie* Welcome to the Barrow Downs!!!

~ Alatariel

[ October 19, 2003: Message edited by: Alatariel Telemnar ]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 10-20-2003, 01:11 PM   #341
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wecome all newcomers. Id just like to say that ive been away for some time and..well....IM BACK!!! Iv missed the lot of you and hope i'll be able to visit the barrowdowns more often from now on.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:05 PM   #342
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Welcome to the Downs, all you new wraiths! Enjoy.

Geffen, if you will PM me (click on the little icon that shows two stick figures connected with a dotted line above my post) I would be glad to help you out in the Dragon or in any other RPG on the site.

That goes for any other newbies, too, by the way.

And welcome back to all you who've been gone awhile. We've missed you. (I think we have anyway. It's hard to tell [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 10-20-2003, 11:11 PM   #343
Seagull Jonathan L.
Pile O'Bones

Seagull Jonathan L. has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hi,i am Seagull,and I am new. Nice forum you got here.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:39 PM   #344
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

Welcome to the 'downs! Im sure you'll like it here! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 10-22-2003, 10:02 AM   #345
Fyara
Pile O'Bones

Fyara has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Fyara Send a message via AIM to Fyara
The Eye

hi all! im going to be a regular member here because i think this is one of the most coolest site.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:58 PM   #346
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I seem to be reintroducing myself an awful lot of late but (fingers crossed) this should be the last time as I have finally moved out of my house! I live at my university now and there is a 24-hour library next door so I will be on as much as possible. My apologises to those who I have let down on RPG's- you know who you are and I am sorry.

Matt
Old 10-22-2003, 01:25 PM   #347
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Welcome, Fyara! Enjoy your time here, and if you ever need any assistance, Private Message me. Remember to read the FAQ's and to use the search function before posting a new topic. Again, welcome. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Mattius! The chicken returns! Hurrah! Welcome back. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 10-22-2003, 04:10 PM   #348
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Yay! Matt is back! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Welcome back and enjoy being dead again.

Oh, and no apologies are necessary. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2003, 06:00 AM   #349
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

'Course not - it's good to have you back mate. May I ask what Uni you're at?

Welcome back [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2003, 11:21 AM   #350
BlackRose

Silmaril

Hullo everyone! i just recently registered to this forum! i hope everyone here would be my friend! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2003, 08:08 AM   #351
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Im at Sheffield Hallam Archer- I wanted to go to Sheffield Uni but I was one grade off; they wanted an A and I got a B (in history).
Old 10-27-2003, 08:30 AM   #352
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry, I've been spouting off for the last few weeks without introducing myself.

I'm an avid LOTR reader (like us all no doubt). first read the hobbit at school and then moved onto lotr. had to restart a number of times before I got into it. Not sure how many times I've read it now. It always makes me cry.

I love the way that you find different things every time you read it. My favourite part after my last reading is now book II of the Two Towers.

My pet hate is people dissing lotr when they haven't even read it.

I love the movies, but at times people may not think this. (see some of my posts....) Honestly, I cannot think of anything that I have looked forward to as much as dec 17th this year......

Since fotr came out I've been working on a doc that compares all of the scenes and dialouge from fotr movie with the book, including all the references to passages in the book. I like the obscure ones (ie Sauron the deceiver) taken from the Silmarillion etc. I've pretty much finished the fotr one but I haven't published it on the net yet. Is there anywhere on this site that would include things like this?

Anyway, my other interests are football (that's the proper english one). I'm a season ticket holder at a premiership team, but I won't say which one as that would set people against me!

I'm from Essex in England (thus my barrow downs name) and I've been to LOTR forums before (fanspot.net and halls of mandos) but broke off as it was taking too much of my time.

as we're nearing the ending of the movies now, I've decided to have another spate of visits. Great site, and a broad spectrum of fans from filmites to bookites. (I'm pretty much near the top of the bookites side, but still love the movies)

Cheers.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:12 PM   #353
Aragorn's Daughter

Sting

hello! i came here today. i actually found this site working on a webpage for an english project. I'm reading the fellowship of the ring for school and my project is a homepage for frodo. maybe i'll post it when its all done. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2003, 10:05 PM   #354
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Since fotr came out I've been working on a doc that compares all of the scenes and dialouge from fotr movie with the book, including all the references to passages in the book.
Essex, you may be interested in a similar sort of thing that HCIsland has been working on. He has posted a link to it in one of the "spoiler" threads in the Movies forum, I think.

Quote:
Anyway, my other interests are football (that's the proper english one). I'm a season ticket holder at a premiership team, but I won't say which one as that would set people against me!
Let me see - you're from Essex. Can't be West Ham, since you said it was a Premiership Club. Could it be Charlton Athletic? Tottenham? Oh, surely not Arsenal ... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2003, 01:14 AM   #355
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hello!my real name is CoNsUeLo. i am a Filipino Tolkienite(not so many of us here in the PhiLippINes, so all you Pinoys out there...wala lang!!)I've read the HoBBit, lotr, farmer giles of Hamm, & the Silmarillion. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] the reason why i haven't read many of tolkien's works is.........
I CAN'TFIND THEM HERE!!! IT'S RAINING HARRY POTTERS HERE, BUT TOLKIEN WORKS ARE SO VERY VERY RARE!!!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I alone in our class (39 students) knows Tolkien had once existed and created lots of wonderful works [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2003, 09:08 AM   #356
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Welcome, yavanna II. Great taste in a name. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Well, even if your classmates are ignorant in regards to Tolkien, we're not, so make this your outlet for Tolkien-related passion! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Just a reminder- read all FAQs before posting in the various fora, be respectful, use the 'search' function before creating new topics, and have fun! If you need further assistance or just want to chat, feel free to Private Message me or any other of the members here.
Also, there is a thread in the Barrow-Down section for Barrow-Downers from Asia. There are actually quite a few people here from the Phillipines.
Peace
Old 10-28-2003, 10:13 AM   #357
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

saucepan man. how did you guess!!!!!!???????

I give myself away every time. please don't tell me you're a man utd fan.......!!!!
Old 10-29-2003, 06:37 PM   #358
Vardalithiel

Sting

Hello all,
I am Vardalithiel. I may also sign things as Confused Elven Maiden, just so you know. I love The Lord of the Rings more than almost anything, but believe it or not, I had not even heard of The Lord of the Rings until the movie FotR came out. As soon as I saw it, I had to have more. I read all three books within a month. They were so spectacular I could not believe it. Now that I have read The Lord of the Rings, I love having conversations about LotR with people who have read these books. Don't get me wrong, I love the movies (December 17 will be the happiest/most heart-wrenching day of my life), but the books give so much more insight and perspective that it is frustrating for me to have a conversation about LotR with someone who hasn't read them.
I have been coming to this website for some time now (OK, I spend all of my online time here), and I finally decided to register!
I just want to say thank you to The Barrow-Downs for giving all of us The Lord of the Rings fans a place to ponder Tolkien's works!

P.S. I know I already messed up and put this in the wrong place, so if I do that again, I'm sorry!

Old 10-29-2003, 08:13 PM   #359
Marinithil

Thumbs up

Positive thoughts on being dead in Middle-earth:
You get to haunt Middle-earth for a much longer time than the average lifespan...which I am sure we would all relish
(excepting elves, maiar, and the event of any such magic as would expell you from the Middle-earth spirit world)
Enter and exit barrows without using the door
Creep out the unsuspecting
Watch battles without fear of death
More time to learn the lore of the hobbits, elves, and the other free peoples of ME

So for any who are oddly bemused at being dead here in the barrows, which at first reading I was, there are positives to being dead in ME. I won't dwell on the negative aspects, that's not the sort of dead thing I am (currently).

Old 10-29-2003, 11:18 PM   #360
Galenondowen
Newly Deceased

Galenondowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Galenondowen
Sting

Suilad! I've just registered 2 days ago, so I'm quite a newbie. I'm Galenondowen, or you may call me Galen. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Er... The rest of my profile can be fictional, right? Let's say, I'm a living dead. Usually known among orcs as Hunter, as I love hunting them at night. And I usually wander around Rivendell, sometimes travel to Lothlorien. By the way, I usually stay in shadow, for I'm sorta anti-sunlight (this is true), and I love high snowy mountains under star-lit sky. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Drop me a line if you like, I'd like to make some friends here. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Oh, could you suggest some sites in which I can get a pretty avatar? Thanks. ^_^

[ October 30, 2003: Message edited by: Galenondowen ]
Shall I strike or shall I fall? What will be my destiny? Must I go on in despare? May I turn back with tired heart? I would not forget the pain, When my wings were torn away. Though this is the fate I have, It never is the life I chose. I hate lingering in this world, Yet here I am, And will be so.
Closed Thread