The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-03-2002, 10:11 AM   #1
Fingolas
Animated Skeleton

Fingolas has just left Hobbiton.
1420! A question for multilingual fans.

I am curious as to how well Tolkiens work translates into other languages.

Other than my native English, (which has been known to give me trouble on occasion), I speak just enough Spanish to get me into trouble.

It occurs to me that Tolkiens style of writing, (what I have always referred to as Classic English, although I’m sure that is not accurate, British friends help me out here&#8230 [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img], may not translate into other languages very well. That is, the shadings, the subtleties and unspoken meanings that someone from Britain who has a tradition with this style of English would understand more readily than someone from another culture. I know that as an American, I ran across a few poems and songs that I had to read twice in order to get the full meaning.

I’m just curious to hear from those who speak and read in several languages. Have you read Tolkien in English and your native language? Notice any differences?
Old 03-03-2002, 07:34 PM   #2
Nilaraniel
Animated Skeleton

Nilaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nilaraniel Send a message via MSN to Nilaraniel Send a message via Yahoo to Nilaraniel
1420!

I am a native English speaker, but I am learning German. I have been looking for LOTR in German, Herr der Ringe, just to translate parts for fun. (The movie poster is sweet!)Here
I guess I havn't been looking in the right places cause I can't find one for sale in the US! All are in Europe. :-p
If I ever get my hands on it I will post some literal translations.

Nilaraniel
Old 03-03-2002, 08:17 PM   #3
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

English is my second language, though you wouldn't know it if you ran into me on the street (in America). I have not attempted to read Tolkien in Russian (my native language), but from what I hear, at least that translation is pretty good, apparently.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:49 AM   #4
Thranic

Pipe

huhu.
i'm from germany, and my first time through LotR was in german. afterwards i noticed that i'm quite able to understand the english version... that's why all the other Tolkien books i own are in english (i prefer reading books in english... helps me learning the language -> better marks in school [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]).
this might be important to Nilaraniel:
there are two german translations around: the old one by Margaret Carroux and a very new one, translated by Wolfgang Krege. BY ALL MEANS, avoid Krege (his LotR at least. his translation of the Silmarillion is said to be well done). Carroux was able to talk to Tolkien when he still lived, and her translation is pretty good. it was his idea, for example, that the Elves are called "Elben" and not "Elfen" in german. i don't really know why, but he said he liked the sound of "Elb" more that "Elf" (why he didn't change the english word for it, i dunno).
and on to Mr. Krege. for some abstruse reason, he tried to modernize the language. it's AWFUL to read... Sam keeps on calling Frodo "chef" instead of "Herr" (Master, Lord) and they adress each other with "du" or "sie" insead of "ihr" ("ihr" is older, and more respectful) there is much more, i could go on for hours... it just destroys the atmosphere...

in the end, i think no translation can really live up to the original. a bit of the magic is always lost... (that's another reason why i'm reading the books in english)
but the old translation is pretty decent.

i could send you the Hobbit in German as a txt file, and maybe i find LotR, too.
my email is t.strenzke@gmx.de

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: Thranic ]
Old 03-04-2002, 07:50 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Hi, Thranic!
I've been living in Germany for years, but am an American and first read LotR in English. I agree that it's best to read a book in its original language, so I haven't read the German translations. I'm afraid of being disappointed! I have, however, heard the radio play that was done by the WDR etc., which is excellent. It is based on the older translation. I have bought the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales in English; I was happy to find a bookstore that had them on stock here!
So, Fingolas, I can't really compare them - the opinions I've heard on the difference between the old and the new German translation are similar to what Thranic has stated.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 12:33 PM   #6
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am from Sweden, and have read the books in Swedish only (though, I am always searching for the books in English, and have read bits of them), and....... Well, frankly speaking, most of the translation is crap really. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] It´s the translators fault, as he (obviously) wanted to add his "own atmosphere" to the books. So he changed some things, which he thought sounded better..... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] And so on and so on....
I can stand it (but I get annoyed quite often), though....I want a new translation!
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 06:10 PM   #7
Banazîr
Pile O'Bones

Banazîr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm french canadian so I've read it in french many times, I bought the english version because I believe it to be the best, it's obvious. I don't perfectly know the english language and Tolkien's writings are kinda hard to understand.
The french version is great except but for a few annoying mistakes and the names' translations. I have heard that Tolkien himself decided what were going to be the names of his characters in french, for example, Frodo Baggins becomes Frodon Sacquet, Hobbiton; Hobbitbourg, etc.
The places are also renamed and that's really annoying because I get all mix up.
I bought the Lost tales 1 and 2 and they were translated to french by someone called Adam Tolkien that I believe to be his grandson(or son?) so I really trust his translation.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:07 AM   #8
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm Finnish, and I study English philology. The Finnish translations are quite as good as they only can be, except for the first translation of The Hobbit, which is hilarious, because they translated it as a children's book - all the names are different and so on.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:37 PM   #9
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'm Canadian, and my mother language is English, but I'm fluent in French. Don't worry, Banazir, I don't pretend it's thanks to the Core French program in schools in Ontario.... Do you know where I could get a French copy of LotR? None of our local bookstores will carry it.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 07:20 AM   #10
Gabo Darvas
Pile O'Bones

Gabo Darvas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm Hungarian and I've read LOTR in my native language in the translation of Árpád Göncz and some parts of the book in English.

Göncz's translation is very ambitious it retains original spirit and it's faithful to Tolkien's language so it's valid, I think. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: Gabo Darvas ]
Old 03-06-2002, 12:45 PM   #11
Elenglin
Pile O'Bones

Elenglin has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I'm Finnish also, so I've read all the books in Finnish. I'd like to read atleast The Hobbit on english.
When I've learned Swedish enough (We MUST read Swedish in school!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] ) I _really_ want to read The Hobbit also in swedish [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"Apua! Apua! Hän talloo jalkoihinsa sinun lampaasi. Hän on astunut Galathea-raukan päälle, ja se on lituskainen kuin kynnysmatto. Apua! Apua! Hän ruhjoo kaikki sinun pensasaitasi ja hän survoo kaiken viljasi. Sinun täytyy toimia rohkeasti ja nopeasti, isäntä, tai kohta sinulla ei ole mitään jäljellä! Apua!" Garm puhkesi ulvomaan.
Elenglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 08:06 AM   #12
Melian
Animated Skeleton

Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi! My native language is Spanish. I haven´t read the books in english, though I think it would be the right thing to do... Despite the fact that translations take some of the "magic" from the original writing, I enjoy the books very much!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
One thing I don´t like is when they change the names, for example Strider is called "Trancos"... owful, isn´t it? How do translators called our heroes in your native languages?
Old 03-09-2002, 07:29 AM   #13
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

the_master_of_puppets has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

is it difficult for non-brittish english speakers to get Tolkien's way of writing? I never thought of that... i wouldnt have thought it wouldnt have been any easier 4 us native Brits coz we dont talk like that anymore (obviously).
the_master_of_puppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 06:31 PM   #14
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Melian, there are some of the names and places in foreign languages on the "Translations" thread, this same forum. Enjoy! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 06:40 PM   #15
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Pips has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I live in Texas, but i read the English novels my mum has from the 40s when they were first published. I read some to one of my classes as a project and everyone (In the Texas class) was like "what the hell are you reading!?" It was rather fun, I'm the only person I know in my college that speaks with a british accent and people stare at me. Ofcourse, they have no culture here, so no wonder they didn't understand it.
Pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 06:58 PM   #16
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I never found Tolkien's writing particularly difficult to understand (I'm speaking as an American who's been to England for all of a month). But my parents are literary anglophiles in a way; I only realized recently that about 80% of the English-language books we have were written by British authors, and many of them are from the '30s and '40s. So I got pretty used to understanding the expressions, if not using them in my own speech (though I have puzzled people occasionally with "that throws a spanner in things"). When I say braces, boot and jumper to people, though, I'm using the American meanings [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].
Old 03-09-2002, 11:20 PM   #17
Nilaraniel
Animated Skeleton

Nilaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nilaraniel Send a message via MSN to Nilaraniel Send a message via Yahoo to Nilaraniel
1420!

I live in south Georgia (!!), and didn't find it hard at all to read LOTR. There were a couple of words that I had to look up, but they just havn't been used in years.

But I'm used to reading lots of Shakespeare, Canterbury Tales, Beowulf, and more recent books written in the English we don't speak anymore. I always got aggrevated in school when the teacher would make us read Shakespeare in class because NOBODY understood it. She'd make us put pieces into modern language and I was the only one that could do it. :-p Of course then people laughed at me cause I was smart I guess. Oh well, geeks rule the world. ;-) I can't wait to get my hands on Silmarillion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Nila