The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2002, 05:56 AM   #41
Polly Sandybanks
Pile O'Bones

Polly Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Polly Sandybanks Send a message via AIM to Polly Sandybanks
Sting

I love the cast! I think they're all perfect. I hope the cast of the next two movies will be just as good.<P>I think it was great that most of the cast were not that well-known before, at least not to me. I think that if PJ had chosen big hollywood movie stars, or whatever, it wouldn't have been the same. I love it just the way it is.<P>I agree that Robin Williams would have been a good Tom Bombadill.. but not quite as I imagined him. Maybe if they made him a bit bigger and fatter. Hmm.. <P>Someone gave some suggestions of actors if it were to be a comedy. If that was the case, I think that Rowan Atkinson would have made a perfect Frodo.. don't you!?
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
Polly Sandybanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 06:34 AM   #42
KingCarlton
Wight

KingCarlton has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Polly Sandybanks – Thank you for joining this thread.<BR>Woe is me…did I overlook the BEAN…oh woe indeed ! Yeah he’d be great alright but not as Frodo, but Elrond….yeah. Rowan Atkinson as Elrond in the comedic version. <BR>Oh yes, this is a fun outing and not a critique.<P>Cheers !
Know ye People, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, And the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars.

Hither came Carlton, the King, black haired, bronze hued, mightily thewed, sullen eyed. Sword in hand, a warrior, a destroyer, a conqueror. With gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jewelled thrones of the Earth, under his sandalled feet.
KingCarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 07:58 AM   #43
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Here’s a cast of Comedians if the movie were to be made as a comedy - <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Hey! What about Jerry Seinfeld?!
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 04:24 AM   #44
KingCarlton
Wight

KingCarlton has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I did put Seinfeld in the initial line up draft but I bumped him off for Bill Murray as Elrond, and now I think Atkinson would make a better Elrond, if you've seen his 'Blackadder' you would agree.<P>Seinfeld would make a good Eomer, wise cracking at Wormtongue and Aragorn.<P>Cheers !
Know ye People, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, And the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars.

Hither came Carlton, the King, black haired, bronze hued, mightily thewed, sullen eyed. Sword in hand, a warrior, a destroyer, a conqueror. With gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jewelled thrones of the Earth, under his sandalled feet.
KingCarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 11:25 PM   #45
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really liked this cast. I mean, it could have been just terrible. But I liked Elijah Wood and Ian McKellen as Frodo and Gandalf, and Sean Astin as Sam. And, looking back, I see someone picking on Dominic Monaghan's nose. But it looks totally hobbity, and that is one of my favourite bits about casting him as Merry. But all in good fun; I suppose we all have our own versions of what looks "hobbity". <BR>And yes, I was as annoyed as anyone with the expansion of Arwen's role, but besides that I think Liv did a good job. But I have never been able to critize movies, so don't take my advice (obviously you have all seen the movie, or else I would tell you to) .
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 01:55 PM   #46
pennhothwen

Silmaril

AAGH!! LOL! That last cast list was so stinking hilarious, I really almost fell off my chair, fortunately my head caught on the corner of my bedpost and kept me from hitting the ground. ow! *rubs head*<BR>now, where were we? oh yeah. Well the only person I had a slight problem with was "Agent Elrond", because I was a Matrix freak when that first came out, and saw it like a million times, and so Hugo Weaving is hardwired into my brain as Agent Smith. Anyway, good job KC. _Penn
Old 04-29-2002, 07:55 AM   #47
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Sting

The cast was excellent, espcially the warrior men - Aragorn and Boromeer!<BR>Gandalf and Surman were well cast as perfect wizard/istari looking old men.<BR>Gimli was really a dwarf.<BR>The elves were dainty and arrogant, as Yolkien meant to.<BR>Orcs and Uruks were great too.<BR>Hobbits...bleah!
Old 04-30-2002, 02:10 PM   #48
Celebmundoiel
Animated Skeleton

Celebmundoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that the cast was great ( espcially Legolas..... don't mind me) All the actors had such depth in playing they're characters. I mean like it must have been hard since there characters are not normal humans and their emotions are quite diffrent towards things. And also the time period was so long ago.
Roaming in the night through the shadows. You cannot hear me, you cannot see me. I am as agile as a cat. As I run I am low to the ground. I climb trees in a second and run on the branches as if they were the earth’s surface. My appearance is deceitful, I can take life as well as spare. I am Celebmundoiel.
Celebmundoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 09:53 AM   #49
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dom Monaghan has a hobbit nose. they are slightly wierd shaped. He was perfect as Merry, you leave him alone! I don't care what PJ sez. Elrond looked good but was too stiff, he's way more fun-loving and kind in the books. When I see Weaving I see Elrond, i did not see The Matrix. Same with McKellen. I have seen nearly all of Wood's movie's but he will always be Frodo. Wood is a hobbit, he's so little and cute! Robin Williams would have made a great Bombadil. Guys, the ring preserves physically in the age one is when they found it, even though Frodo was 50 in the book he did not look a day over 33! that;s why he looks so young. May I say that Holm made a cute, cuddly, perfect Bilbo? Hehe
Old 05-01-2002, 10:37 AM   #50
nevtalathiel

Shield

KC, if we have Atkinson as Elrond, can ew have Tony Robinson (Baldrick) as Sam???!!!
Old 05-01-2002, 10:46 AM   #51
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Elija Wood has beautiful eyes. Whatever image of Frodo I conjure in my mind will ever after bear those searching blue eyes. <P>But Frodo was supposed to be 50 when he left the Shire. Even if we assume that Frodo "froze" in time when he got the ring at age 33 and that Hobbits, on average, live about 20 years longer than Man (that seems to be about the average in the family trees that are given), Wood still doesn't look old enough. (After all Bilbo would have "frozen" his age around 50 when he got the Ring, and he looked twenty times older than Frodo.) But then, I can certainly think of commercial reasons why you'd want him to look like he's in his late teens.<P>Did no one else have problems with the casting of Galadriel? She is certainly commanding, but there is a softness and gentleness which should be present and doesn't seem to be. Perhaps, this is actually more of a problem of editing rather than casting. I am hoping when they put he gift-giving scenes back into the Director's cut, my image will be modified. sharon, the 7th age hobbit