The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Tolkien Reading Day - March 25

Tolkien Reading Day is coming up, and I know of groups who are meeting here in Germany to read together, either publicly (in bookstores,for example) or in private homes. Let's share ideas and plans for reading from Tolkien's works on that day:

Here is the Tolkien Society webpage about the origin and choice of the date.

Here are some possibilities for shared reading experiences:

1. Choose your favourite passage (or one that's accessible to newbies) and read it to a family member or friend who hasn't yet read the books.

2. Get together with Downers or other Tolkien fans from your area, school, etc. and have each of you read a passage you particularly like - or assign roles and a speaker to each one and read the passage together.

3. Have a virtual reading (Skype, voice chat, or whatever) with someone far away.

4. Contact a bookstore or library and ask if you can hold a public reading there.

Now it's your turn - do you have more ideas, or plans for celebrating the occasion? Share them with us!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I have another idea (inspired by Blackadder status day earlier this week):

5. Put a Tolkien quote on your Facebook (or other community) status on March 25. That way, anyone who reads it has already read Tolkien on that day!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
I have another idea (inspired by Blackadder status day earlier this week):

5. Put a Tolkien quote on your Facebook (or other community) status on March 25. That way, anyone who reads it has already read Tolkien on that day!
I like this idea. Off to search for quotes.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Livejournal voiceposts. <3
Old 03-25-2010, 03:33 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Today's the day! Let's hear about yor Tolkien reading experiences.

I've started off by putting Tolkien quotes on my blog and my Facebook status. (Actually, I began yesterday because I was impatient and there are so many wonderful passages and quotes I love!)

Several Downers are planning a Skype reading here - I look forward to hearing about that!