The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > Haudh-en-Ndengin
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2003, 04:51 PM   #1
Falagar
Haunting Spirit

Falagar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Thranduil the Goldenhaired?

I recently came across a passage in The War of the Jewels, where Tolkien states the the Sindar had dark hair, and were hard to tell apart from the Noldor exiles. That made me think of Thranduil, who, as far as I have heard, is a Sinda, and yet he is a blonde!

Now, is there something I have missed? Did Tolkien later go back on this statement? Is Thranduil a 'special case', one of the few exceptions? Now that I think of it, somewhere I remember someone mentioning him being akin to Thingol. That would imply him having silver or grey hair, wouldn't it?

Thanks for any reply, I have this weird feeling of this being a very stupid question and that I have overlooked something somewhere...

[ May 25, 2003: Message edited by: Falagar ]
Old 05-25-2003, 08:13 PM   #2
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Take the passage as speaking in general terms and everything becomes much clearer. In general the Sindar had dark hair, but not every Sinda was dark-haired. Similarly it was a Noldorin trait to be dark-haired, but not all Noldor were (witness Glorfindel).
Off hand what cause me to think that Thranduil was akin to Thingol was that Celeborn (Thingol's nephew) called Legolas his kin. But this interpretation can be considered supposition, and not dirictly supportable from a genealogy or family tree. I like to imagine that both Thranduil and Amroth were descended from Elmo, younger brother of Elwe and Olwe.

[ May 25, 2003: Message edited by: Tar Elenion ]
Old 05-26-2003, 10:15 AM   #3
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Indeed - not every elf of every kindred is going to have the same colour hair. All of the elves came from 144 original elves - they didn't separate into kindreds on the basis of hair colour. Just so happens that some characteristics are more common among each kindred.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:34 AM   #4
MrGreenleaf

Pipe

In "Unfinished Tales" it says that Thranduil is part silvan (in the Galadrial and celeborn section) which adds to his people's speech... perhaps this too adds to his hair color...

Old 05-26-2003, 03:28 PM   #5
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Just as different races of humans have different hair colors, the Elves had different hair colors. The reason Glorfindel had golden hair was that he had Vanyarin blood. Most of the Noldor had dark hair, and I am assuming that all of the Teleri had grey to silver hair. As for the Silvan Elves, they were a mixture of all the Elves who remained. So there could have been Vanyar, Noldor, and Teleri in there, who just didn't go to Valinor. Thranduil could have inherited his hair color from an Avar ancestor who was of the kindred of the Vanyar but remained behind.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:37 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Look at these links:

HERE

Genome

and

HERE

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:49 PM January 15, 2004: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]