The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > Haudh-en-Ndengin
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2002, 02:23 PM   #121
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

Estelyn and Carnnillion-I quite agree with the fact that Tolkien did actually know that there was Christian content in his books---and as Estelyn says he rewrote passages in the book so that they're more consistent w/ his Christian beliefs.... Tolkien-being smart as he is-I believe he deliberately added Christianity to his books....
Old 11-05-2002, 10:30 PM   #122
elvenchristian

Sting

Hey everybody,

I just finished reading the book Finding God In The Lord Of The Rings. Just wanted to say that I was really disappointed with it. It was really simplistic and I expected something alot deeper from a book about Middle Earth and Christianity. The conclusions drawn in the book can be seen easily without having them pointed out. Anyone can draw the conclusion that the ring is a little like sin and that Sauron is kinda like Satan. I was really dissapointed in the book and would not reccomend it to anyone. It's a waste of your time. You'd be better off drawing your own conclusions than listening to the simple ones presented in this book.

Old 11-23-2002, 03:53 PM   #123
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

-elvenchristian- w/ my utmost sincerity- I hope you will be the first one to come up with a better book [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]-and I agree it was very simplistic-although i like it very much...

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: InklingElf ]
Old 11-25-2002, 01:17 PM   #124
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

can anyone provide a brief synopsis of The ScrewTape Letters? -I know a bit of information -like the fact that the Devil is instructing an apprentice-Screwtape in tempting humanity to sin but that's about it...
Old 11-25-2002, 02:31 PM   #125
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

InklingElf:
I've read "screwtape" and what you know about it is a pretty good one-line summary. it is a very interesting look at what could possibly be the way that demons interact and "feed" upon us through our sin. it is not necessarly THE devil himself who is speaking, but another higher-level demon, and the ending is consistent with the already kinda twisted theme. I do know that Lewis said that writing it made him feel sick to his stomach, but that he wanted to explore that type of theme anyway...
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Old 11-25-2002, 02:33 PM   #126
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Does that help at all? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Old 11-27-2002, 12:19 PM   #127
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yes thx!-Now I understand...
Old 11-29-2002, 07:58 AM   #128
Arie
Animated Skeleton

Arie has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

-InklingElf-
Here is a good synopsis from a site I found:
Quote:
Synopsis of the Screwtape Letters
"The Screwtape Letters" is fiction. But only fiction in the sense that the characters and the dialogue sprang from the imagination of one of the greatest modern Christian writers. Yet in our terrestrial reality the issues confronted in this book play out in our lives every day.

The book contains thirty-one letters from Screwtape to his nephew, Wormwood, who is screwtape's underling in fiendishness. Screwtape is an upper-level functionary in the complex bureaucracy of the underworld. The "Screwtape Letters" are friendly advice from this elder statesman to a front-line tempter on how to procure the soul of his "patient", a young Christian man just trying to live out his everyday life.

We get the letters only from one side of the correspondence (Screwtape's), yet the story of the meanderings of the Christian "patient's" soul is clearly read between the lines. The letters begin with Wormwood's failure to keep his subject from becoming a Christian. The urbane Screwtape informs him that, although this is an alarming development, his patient is by no means lost to the dark forces of evil.

World War II serves as the backdrop for the Letters. Yet war and strife do not play a significant roll in the work. The book is about more everyday and universal problems. Problems every individual must deal with even today.

Thus, each letter addresses various aspects of the travails of the human soul and how the devil tempts that soul away from goodness and toward evil - not evil on a grand scale, but evil on a petty scale. They show how evil can seep into a Christian's relationships with friends and family, in his views on the church, even in his practice of prayer.

As each letter unfolds, we find the Christian "patient" slipping more and more out of the hands of Wormwood and his temptations. Screwtape's advice to the tempter becomes more firm and yet more subtle. And, by degrees, we come to see the workings of evil in our own hearts. "The Screwtape Letters" is a book that entertains while it instructs. It is a book to be treasured and studied.
It was from:The ScrewTapw Letters [Synopsis]
Old 11-29-2002, 08:26 AM   #129
hehehe

Tolkien

Hello I'm new [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]-Even better-I have here and analysis...

>The correspondence of devils would not be an easy composition for most writers. Yet C. S. Lewis was a master at revealing subtleties of the diabolical mind. We find Screwtape to be urbane, intelligent, witty and even charming. These qualities are tools. Like a hammer or a screwdriver, in the right hands they can build a cathedral. In the wrong hands they could destroy a high-speed turbine in motion.

Through the "Screwtape Letters" we come to realize that evil seldom pops up as the genocidal maniac slaughtering millions (though it does on occasion show up in the guise of a Stalin or a Hitler). For individuals, it generally takes the form of little urgings that come from within, telling us to respond brusquely to a family member or to frown on that poor soul in the neighboring pew with the funny hat.

It is evil in our everyday lives that Screwtape addresses, petty evils that add up in the end to the destruction of our morality, the demise of our individuality and the utter destruction of our souls.

The book is sprinkled with advice from Screwtape to his nephew, Wormwood, telling him what he must do to gain the soul of a Christian for the underworld. This mostly involves "muddying the waters". That is: not allowing the "patient" to clearly see the truth. Thus we are shown how evil is overcome by simple, clear actions and thought.

In the end we find that the battle between good and evil is fought out on the field of our relationships with others and most of all our relationship with God.

Each Letter has something important to say, and should be read and reviewed in detail

>i luv that book!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2002, 08:36 AM   #130
hehehe

Tolkien

elvenchristian&InklingElf
-Yes, the Finding God in the Lord of the Rings was a bit simplistic but I liked it very very much!
-It was great hoe the author(s) added some quotes and passages from lotr and the bible...-This book was very well thought of-though very simplistic-even-non-christians can understand

Old 11-29-2002, 09:00 AM   #131
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

This must be a very good book! Arie-The point that World War II was involved in this fills me with a slight grief-because even know the wounds of that war still exists and will always be there...to thelastbattle-ahh!my favorite book of the Chronicles of Narnia! I bid you welcome!-I can tell you are a very humble fellow and will get along fine at the BarrowDowns-thankyou for your analysis-it has helped me better understand it...so Wormwood is a nephew afterall!

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: InklingElf ]
Old 11-29-2002, 02:17 PM   #132
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Sting

no, actually the nephew is "Wormwood" [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2002, 02:10 PM   #133
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

har har har -Typo
Old 12-03-2002, 02:14 PM   #134
Arie
Animated Skeleton

Tolkien

InklingElf-I read ScrewTape but do you possibly know any other of Lewis: essays etc? -and if you do can you give a synopsis about them? thx! AND: since you know allot about his CHronicles series-can you provide some Themes and Motifs from The Lion,The WItch and the Wardrobe?-you see I'm doing a report on it and I need help ASAP!
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: Arie ]
Old 12-03-2002, 02:30 PM   #135
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Maybe I can help a bit too?

If you want fiction, he wrote a planetary series that I have read twice and just think are brilliant (I love Lewis' style). There are 3 of them, and they are actually rather quick reads, except for the last one which gets a bit heavy at times. They are about the inter-planetary travels (and the results) of a man named Ransom who is a linguist and a walker (he loves to take walking trips across England). He stumbles upon a couple of men who are making experiments on planetary travel, and it all starts there....Great books!

Lewis also wrote a TON of non-fiction: God in the Docks; Mere Christianity; Surprised by Joy (I think?) are a few of them, though I could be wrong, please check my resources anyone who cares to. His philosophy & theology are great to read, and I love the man's heart and mind as much as I do Tolkien's. Check him out! Also check out this website, there is a TON of info on it (and a forum like there is here on the Downs): cslewis.drzeus.net

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: Kiara ]
Old 12-03-2002, 06:31 PM   #136
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

ok Arie, here's my contribution:

Themes, Motifs, and Symbols

Themes

The Danger of Gluttony - Critics have proposed that each of the seven novels in The Chronicles of Narnia addresses one of the seven deadly sins. Whether or not this is true, it is certainly the case that The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe specifically focuses on gluttony. Edmund's descent into the Witch's service begins during his frantic consumption of the magic Turkish Delight. Since this is enchanted Turkish Delight, Edmund cannot be held accountable for his gluttony as if he were overindulging in ordinary candy. The real sin occurs when Edmund allows himself to fixate on the Turkish Delight long after he leaves the Witch. Edmund's consumption of the Turkish Delight may also be a reference to the sin of Adam and Eve, when they ate from the Tree of Knowledge. Adam and Eve also committed a sin of consumption, and God punishes them as well. Edmund's gluttony for the Turkish Delight alludes to Adam and Eve's desire to eat the apple.

The Power of Satan - Edmund is a traitor and his life is forfeit to the White Witch, just as any sinner's life is forfeit to Satan after death without the intervention of God. The White Witch may not be an exact representation of Satan—the imagery that surrounds her does not quite fit that of the devil himself. Perhaps she is a servant of Satan and an overlord of Narnia—Narnia's special patron demon. The Witch claims the lives of all Narnians who sin irrevocably, an allusion to Satan's claim of the souls of such sinners.

Humankind's Redemption - Not everything in Narnia directly parallels the story of Jesus, but the similarities are too striking to ignore. Aslan sacrifices his life to save Edmund, just as Christ gave his life to save mankind. Through Aslan's death, Edmund's sin is expunged, and Edmund is permitted to live. Similarly, mankind is permitted to live in heaven now that Christ's death has expunged Adam's original sin when he disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden. Lewis's goal is to present us with a variation on the Christian legend. Narnia presents us with a different perspective on faith, and helps the story of Jesus come to life.

Motifs

Seasons - The Witch imposes an enchanted, eternal winter on Narnia, symbolizing a dead, stagnant time. Nothing grows, animals hibernate, and people crouch around fires rather than enjoying the outdoors. Nearly every human being has a visceral negative reaction to winter, even when it is a normal length. We can imagine how quickly an eternal winter would become intolerable. The Witch's winter destroys the beauty and the life in Narnia. There is a pristine appeal to woods blanketed in snow and frozen waterfalls, but our overall impression is one of a barren, empty land. The season of winter represents that Narnia has fallen under an evil regime. As snow falls, so does the land of Narnia. The Witch's snow hides all traces of Aslan or the Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea. Narnia is undoubtedly bleak and grim.
How much more wondrous, then, is the spring that occurs when Aslan arrives in Narnia. Of course, Christmas occurs before spring can come, because Christmas is the birth of Christ. It is Christmas that signals hope for mankind: with the birth of Christ, we are given the hope of new life. Spring follows Christmas and all of a sudden the woods are completely alive—flowers are blooming, springs and brooks are chuckling, birds are singing, and delightful smells waft past on gentle breezes. This is no ordinary spring, just as the Witch's winter was no ordinary winter. The spring is just as enchanted as the winter, only now Narnia is experiencing the epitome of life rather than death.

Symbols

Aslan - In the allegory of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Aslan represents Christ. Aslan's death to save Edmund's life and his subsequent resurrection are clear references to the life of Christ. Lewis's novel makes some essential changes to the figure of Christ that makes Aslan more accessible to children than the Christ they learn about in church. Lewis's method worked well—he even received a letter from a very distraught little boy pleading for help because he could not help loving Aslan more than Jesus, even though he knew he was supposed to love Jesus above everything else. The very shift from a man to a lion is quite significant. Christ is a human being, which is both confusing and compelling, particularly for a child. Christ seems almost too familiar to a small child, blurring the boundary between a god who deserves reverence and a friend who deserves affection. The beauty of the figure of a lion is that a child would have no problems showing both emotions for a lion. A lion, as king of the forest, is fearful and intimidating. The lion is also a big cat, and Lewis emphasizes this side of Aslan by depicting him as romping and playing merrily with the children. A talking animal at once inspires love and respect, magic and mystery. Lewis adapts the figure of Jesus for children while still maintaining all the essential characteristics of Christ.

The Stone Table - The Stone Table refers to the stone tablets that Moses brought down from Mt. Sinai, according to the Bible. These tablets contain the Ten Commandments and they represent an older, stricter form of religion. In the days when the Ten Commandments were brought down from the mountain, infractions against God would be punishable by death—retribution was swift, harsh, and irrevocable. When Aslan rises from the dead, the Stone Table is shattered, signifying the end of an older, crueler time and the advent of a newer, kinder era. Aslan has defeated death by rising from the dead, signaling the end of harsh customs and death as an acceptable punishment. Instead, human beings enforce justice and mete out punishments.

The sea - There are only a few passing references to the sea in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but they are significant because of the context. We only get a glimpse of the sea and we learn that the Emperor-Over-the-Sea, who is Aslan's father, is God himself. The sea becomes a boundary between Narnia, the Earth, and "Aslan's country," or heaven. Lewis reveals in later novels, such as Voyage of the Dawn Treader, that it is actually possible to physically sail across the sea to Aslan's country. Moreover, the sea is also a boundary between Narnia and our world. In traditional imagery, the sea often represents death, and that seems rather appropriate here—but not death in the sense that we have come to know and dread it, as the Grim Reaper with a hood and a scythe, rather, it is death that is life, or death as rebirth into heaven.

-Hope that helps!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2002, 06:36 PM   #137
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

I believe the quotations in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe are very important too-here's what I have:

Important Quotations

1. "The White Witch?" said Edmund; "who's she?"
"She is a perfectly terrible person," said Lucy. "She calls herself the Queen of Narnia thought she has no right to be queen at all, and all the Fauns and Dryands and Naiads and Dwarfs and Animals—at least all the good ones—simply hate her. And she can turn people into stone and do all kinds of horrible things. And she has made a magic so that it is always winter in Narnia—always winter, but it never gets to Christmas. And she drives about on a sledge, drawn by reindeer, with her wand in her hand and a crown on her head."
Edmund was already feeling uncomfortable from having eaten too many sweets, and when he heard that the Lady he had made friends with was a dangerous witch he felt even more uncomfortable. But he still wanted to taste that Turkish Delight more than he wanted anything else. [Explanation]

2. And now a very curious thing happened. None of the children knew who Aslan was any more than you do; but the moment the Beaver had spoken [his name] everyone felt quite different…. At the name of Aslan each one of the children felt something jump in its inside. Edmund felt a sensation of mysterious horror. Peter felt suddenly brave and adventurous. Susan felt as if some delicious smell or some delightful strain of music had just floated by her. And Lucy got the feeling you have when you wake up in the morning and realize that it is the beginning of the holidays or the beginning of summer.

3. "Aslan?" said Mr. Beaver. "Why, don't you know? He's the King. He's the Lord of the whole wood, but not often here, you understand. Never in my time or my father's time. But the word has reached us that he has come back. He is in Narnia at this moment. He'll settle the White Queen all right. It is he, not you, that will save Mr. Tumnus."
"Is—is he a man?" asked Lucy.
"Aslan a man!" Mr. Beaver said sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea. Don't you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion—the Lion, the great Lion."
"Ooh!" said Susan, "I'd thought he was a man. Is he—quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."
"That you will, dearie, and no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver; "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."

4. "Have you forgotten the Deep Magic?" asked the Witch.
"Let us say I have forgotten it," answered Aslan gravely. "Tell us of this Deep Magic."
"Tell you?" said the Witch, her voice growing suddenly shriller. "Tell you what is written on that very Table of Stone which stands beside us? Tell you what is written in letters deep as a spear is long on the fire-stones on the Secret Hill? Tell you what is engraved on the scepter of the Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea? You at least know the Magic which the Emperor put into Narnia at the very beginning. You know that every traitor belongs to me as my lawful prey and that for every treachery I have a right to kill…. And so that human creature is mine. His life is forfeit to me. His blood is my property… unless I have blood as the Law says all Narnia will be overturned and perish in fire and water."
"It is very true," said Aslan, "I do not deny it."

5. At that moment they heard from behind them a loud noise—a great cracking, deafening noise as if a giant had broken a giant's plate…. The Stone Table was broken into two pieces by a great crack that ran down it from end to end; and there was no Aslan.
"Who's done it?" cried Susan. "What does it mean? Is it more magic?"
"Yes!" said a great voice from behind their backs. "It is more magic." They looked round. There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"Oh, Aslan!" cried both the children, staring up at him, almost as much frightened as they were glad….
"But what does it all mean?" asked Susan when they were somewhat calmer.
"It means," said Aslan, "that though the Witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and the darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backward."
Old 12-06-2002, 02:29 PM   #138
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Kiara- thx for your PM -I think your contributions are great too [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2003, 02:23 PM   #139
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

For long months I have let this thread go dormant. I apologize for that, but please know I won't let that happen anymore...

On the ScrewTape Letters. Has anyone been reading it? I still haven't bought the book but I'm planning to soon. Once I've read it I will begin an in-depth study on it. YOu may join me if you would like.

Please tell me about any other books you are interested in discussing in this thread. Thank You-and I hope to hear from you soon. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2003, 04:35 PM   #140
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I started Screwtape a while ago, read about fifteen pages, and then stopped. The letters are too obvious. THe only problem I have with it is that while reading, you get at what Lewis is saying far too easily. Of course, I'm just saying this from fifteen pages... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Iarwain

P.S. Just like to say that I like the topic of this thread (though I haven't read most of the posts) and that Jack is my favorite author, with Tolkien in a near second. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 01-29-2003, 05:03 PM   #141
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Thanks Iarwain! Yes, Jack is one of my favorite authors aswell.
BTW: I've been reading Out of the Silent Planet, one of the books in his sci-fi trilogy. I'm half-way done-I think it's pretty interesting, considering that it was his first attempt to write a science fiction story.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:24 PM   #142
Iarwain

Sting

It is a good book, Perelandra is way, way better though.

Enjoy! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ,
Iarwain
Old 01-29-2003, 05:26 PM   #143
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Please tell me more about Perelandra. I don't think I've heard of it before-is it Lewis?
Old 01-30-2003, 02:24 AM   #144
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Please remember that this is a Tolkien forum; discussions of C.S.Lewis' works should be related to Tolkien and his works. (Kiara provided a link to a Lewis forum for those who wish to discuss his works there.) A good example of a comparative discussion can be found on the Maiar=eldila? thread. That should interest all who have read Lewis' Space Trilogy.

(Aside to Iarwain - I agree; Perelandra is my favorite of the Space Trilogy as well!)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-30-2003, 06:00 PM   #145
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Alright Estelyn no problem [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I guess I have two good books to find now-i'm planning to go to Barnes & Noble tommorow [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

BTW: Yes, I think Perelandra the planet was mentioned in Out of the Silent Planet-and Ransom is supposed to be old in the book you and Estelyn were talking about...ok this ends the discussion about Lewis' sci-fi books-In this thread anyway.

[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: InklingElf ]
Old 02-04-2003, 02:16 PM   #146
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Argh! I wasn't able to get the Scretape Letters-or Perelandra! Sorry Iarwain Perelandra will have to wait [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

But I was able to get the Lost Road and this book of Tolkien's Middle-Earth Paintings...

On the Lost Road. I started on it and I haven't much to discuss about it yet.
What about you Estelyn &Iarwain? Did you read it yet? It's pretty good so far [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

::Looks downs at her book again::
the inlkings of greatness...
Old 02-04-2003, 05:02 PM   #147
Iarwain

Boots

I've never managed to get a copy. Sounds quite captivating, though. Isn't it out of print? Is the other book "JRRT, Artist and Illustrator"? I have that too. It's pretty informative, though I've never read the whole thing.

Iawain

[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 02-04-2003, 05:21 PM   #148
Iarwain

Sting

Sorry for the double post, but this doesn't quite fit with the previous. To respond to your last very lengthy post from Dec 3 at 7:36 P.M, I think it is very funny that Lewis wrote quite that way. He is writing to children in quote number 2 about numinous appreciation of God. Its very interesting, because if you ever read "The Problem of Pain", he talks specifically about that in exactly that way.

IArwain
Old 02-04-2003, 06:12 PM   #149
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Iarwain, I don't mind the double post-I do it quite frequently myself [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The Problem of Pain. Hmmm, you know I have alot to catch up with! No, I have not read it yet but i'm glad I was able to say like Lewis intended...I'll read a synopsis of it online if I can-but if you could provide me with one I'll be glad to read it [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And one more thing Iarwain, the illustrated book is entitled:Tolkien's World:Paintings of Middle-earth. It has various paintings from different artists such as Jhon Howe and Alan Lee etc. Is that the one that's out of print? It was the last one on the shelf so I took it.

On The Lost Road and other writings:
I got up to Chapter II:Alboin and Audoin.
I think Alboin is quite a bit like Tolkien in his younger years. Alboin is constantly into Linguistics,and always coming up with his own languages...

Question: Is it really supposed to be like that? Did Tolkien write it as some sort of reflection of himself?
Old 02-05-2003, 07:18 PM   #150
Iarwain

Sting

No, actually, Tolkien's World is not out of print, and I have a copy of it also. The book I was thinking of was "J.R.R. Tolkien, Artist and Illustrator" which has tons of different paintings, drawings, etc. by Tolkien himself. Its quite amazing (also not out of print). You could get some interesting analysis out of the Lost Road, if it's that symbolic, very interesting indeed!

I'm actually in the middle of "The Problem of Pain" right now, so I can't quite give you a synopsis of it... I do know, however, that its dedicated to the Inklings (I smiled at that), and that he wrote it after and because of his wife's death. Very depressing. He explains in the book how pain has arisen in humanity as a biproduct of the Fall and Christ's sacrifice. At the beginning of the intro, I felt like weeping for the man. He says that he was going to publish it anonymously because of the things he says in it. So far, its very good and explains more basic theology to the reader. As I've said before, Jack's my favorite. I love the way he writes.

Iarwain
Old 02-05-2003, 07:38 PM   #151
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Iarwain:Ahh yes, well Jack was a very passionate man. I bet he comes out even more passionate with that book because of Joy. (Reresh my memory: did Joy die of cancer?) I shall have to look for that book to, after I finish the one I'm reading.

Do like the paintings? I do with an exception of a few. I like Alan's and Phenix's the best.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:57 PM   #152
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Aerandir Carnesir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's about time I found someone else who beleives the way as me. I'm outraged at what pagans have done to Tolkeins works. You know that Tolkein convinced C.S. Lewis into accepting Christ. I'm just glad that there are others on this forum who beleive in religion tied in with our religious beleifs/truths. Thank you for your post. Check out my premier post "God and Lord of the Rings" I'm new to forums and I want to see if I'm making an impact. I like your signature too. Namaarie(farewell) and God bless you!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 06:28 PM   #153
Iarwain

Sting

Glad to meet you too, Aerandir. Nice to see someone so vigilant! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Inkling, I like Alan Lee's paintings too, they're very good! John Howe's also exceptional. My favorites are the One of Minas Tirith at dawn, and Barad-Dur through the Palantir. They're so vivid. Joy did die of cancer, and Lewis himself died of a heart attack mixed with kidney failure. Apparently, I was wrong about "the Problem of Pain" I've just been looking over a timeline of Lewis's life, and it was published in 1940. "A Grief Observed" is actually the book about him dealing with his pain. Wow, I suppose I'll have to read that after I finish this one... Huh. So strange,

Slightly Bewildered,
Iarwain
Old 02-06-2003, 06:58 PM   #154
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Aerandir Carnesir:Thank You, and I welcome you to the Barrow-Downs. I shall look at your thread soon and possibly post a reply.GOD BLESS [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Iarwain: Hehehe. It's alright, I hate it when I do that too, especially in front of my teachers! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

The Lost Road and other writings:I take it, you've read it? I'm on the part when Alboin has a dream about Elendil and acts irritable in the morning to his son, Audoin. I have a question: Why does Alboin call Elendil, Herendil? I might have missed something while I was reading. Heh.

I still think Alboin is like Tolkien. He has I believe, almost all of his traits: He's a linguist, he creates his own languages (that which is similiar and is Tolkien's,etc.

Alboin is so far, my favorite character, but I also like Audoin too.

Have you seen the Etymologies? I was certainly amazed. This book really is fit for those studying Tolkien's languages.

Iarwain tell me, what does Lewis have anything to do w/ the Lost Road? I still haven't found any story, or narrative in the book. I don't get why he is included on the summary, on the back of the book. ::scratches her head::

And the paintings: Yes, I also find John Howe's paintings impressive! I like how he paints action (Like the Flight to the Ford)
Old 02-06-2003, 07:01 PM   #155
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

BTW: Since we have far drifted off from the topic of Theology, I ask that someone, anyone that is interested to post any
Biblical Allusions that they notice from any of Tolkien's books. I believe there are some on page 2 & 3. You can add to those. Thank You.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:32 PM   #156
Iarwain

Sting

Sorry to dissapoint, Inkling, but I've honestly never read "Lost Road". I thought it was out of print, and I've never even seen a copy. From what you say, I sounds quite captivating. Interesting that Lewis was involved in the text though, we must remember that for about ten years, they considered each other best friends. Flight to the Ford is a great painting. In Mordor also shows a great deal of movement.

Iarwain
Old 02-07-2003, 06:02 PM   #157
Iarwain

Boots

I think I'm going to take the time to read the entire thread, I started page 2, and it's very interesting, so I'll just start from the beginning.

Iarwian
Old 02-08-2003, 11:02 AM   #158
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Iarwain:Take your time [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The Lost Road is hard to find. There was only one more on the shelf! So I took it, and I'm glad I did. I think you can buy one online from Barnes&Noble or Amazon.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:03 PM   #159
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

The Lost Road and other writings:an excerpt, and one of my favorite scenes so far:

Quote:
In a wide shadowy place he heard a voice.
'Elendil!' it said, 'Alboin, whither are you wandering?'
'Who are you?' he answered. 'And where are you?'
A tall figure appeard, as if descending an unseen stair towards him. For a moment it flashed through his thought that the face, dimly seen, reminded him of his father.
'I am with you. I was of Numenor, the father of many fathers before you. I am Elendil, that is in Eressean "Elf-friend," and many have been called so since. You may have your desire.'
'What desire?'
'The long-hidden and the half-spoken: to go back.'
'But that cannot be, even if I wish it. It is against the law.'
'It is against the rule. Laws are commands upon the will and are binding. Rules are conditions; they may have expectations.'
Old 02-10-2003, 03:21 PM   #160
Arie
Animated Skeleton

Tolkien

Alright, on biblical allusions: Gandalf. He could represent (sory if I'm going back to the topic-I haven't been reading the other pages) Michael the Archangel and Saruman could be Lucifer-but I think Sauron would be a better choice...

I have a quick question: What is Tom Bombadil. InklingElf I think you answered this on another thread but I forgot what it is...