The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
galadriel'smaiden
Haunting Spirit

galadriel'smaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to galadriel'smaiden
Sting Just a thought: Do you identify wiht any LOTR characters?

You know, when reading certain parts of LOTR, I found I DEFINATELY realted to some characters. Like, on my MOOOOOOOOOODY days (the eternal optimist is speaking) I really relate to Eowyn, her feelings and views and stuff. I was wondering if I was a freak or anyone else related to the carachters. PLEAZE reply to this, my mentality is at stake!
galadriel'smaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
Veon
Pile O'Bones

Veon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, but I've always pictured Eowyn as the kind of girl I'd fall in love with <P>(If I met a nice girl looking like Miranda Otto's Eowyn I would definitely fall in love with her...)<P>Anders
Old 02-24-2003, 03:52 PM   #3
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can relate to Eowyn too, and thats when I'm not moody! When I am, I suppose I relate to an orc!
Old 02-24-2003, 04:51 PM   #4
RingBearerToo

No you are not crazy. I always find myself in characters. I'd like to think of myself as Sam but I am not. He is too brave. I guess I see a lot of Pippin in me. I like to be involved but usually find some way to mess things up. The situation would have been better if I had not tried to be in the spotlight, and took a support role.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

Of any the chracters I most relate to it would be Bilbo. I have always throughly enjoyed the little hobbit. He got to enjoy a nice adventure in the Hobbit and lived out his years peacefully(for the most part.) His is well-around liked and very knowledgeable about the things in the Shire and some of the comings and goings of Middle-Earth. I wish sometimes I could start my own adventure and get to live life to the fullest as he had.<P>By the way, Welcome to the Downs RingBearerToo. Enjoy being dead!
Old 02-24-2003, 05:30 PM   #6
mylady

Sting

When I first read the novel as a troubled teenager I, too, identified with Éowyn. I still do, and I still think she is perhaps the most convincing character in Lord of the Rings. She is confused and passionate and uanble to hide her emotions, but at the same time she is enormously brave and just. <P>This humanity is also the reason that I always liked Boromir, and to a certain point also identified with him. I look upon him as a strong and noble person, who struggles with his doubt and personal desires and finds it hard to do the right thing. Who has not been in that dilemma? I always thought it wonderful that his death was so heroic, and I think this was conveyed beautifully, though also horribly, in the film.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:23 PM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bilbo and Boromir.<P>I love the scene after Bilbo goes gollumish and then apologizes to Frodo. "I'm sorry I brought this upon you, my boy. I'm sorry for everything." I can't help feeling for this character that was such a part of getting the ball rolling, and certainly feels he should bare part of the responsibility for of this quest, but is forced to pass it on. One generation always feels they should make things better before they pass it one to the next. I think one of the worst fears is passing things on only after making them worse.<P>And Boromir because he's human and, as it happens, so am I. The purest of intentions can still pave the road to ruin.<P>Man, there must be a lot of anxiety buried down there. <P>H.C.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:25 PM   #8
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Sting

I see myself as different characters in different places. A lot to Legolas, cause he does not ever burst out with his real feelings, which I do quite rarely. Faramir, because of his unceratainty, except at the part where he tricks Sam into telling him about the Ring. Eowyn, as most of you said. Frodo, because of all, the characters, he CERTAINLY has unceratinties. Arwen, in the appendices, I don't even know why. Elrond. Glorfindel. I think I'm getting to be shifting towards the Elves, but I really do identify with some of them (though I could only wish to be that wise... )
Old 02-24-2003, 07:31 PM   #9
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir. I have problems and friends who have problems who want me to help them. It's pressure. Period. End, fin.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 07:46 PM   #10
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Sting

Yes, I din't think of him. Him too.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:50 PM   #11
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think the the character I most relate with is Frodo. Yeah, it's weird because he just so happens to be a favorite of mine, but it's true. I'm like him in the way that he has deep feelings...mostly sad, and he doesn't like to share them with people. He kept his feelings mostly to himself the whole trip. I like to do that. I don't like for people to worry about me, so I don't tell anyone stuff about me. {Not that I have anything anyone should worry about or nothing.}<P>I guess I kind of relate to Gollum as well. I like to be alone and think about things I love. I love coming to the Downs, and I think about it alot. I guess I'm just not a very open person towards the people I am the closest with. I tell all of you on this site these things, but that's only because I don't have to worry about seeing your reactions and knowing what ya'll think of me. You can tell me if you want, but most people tend to not tell things like that online. The people I talk to on this site probably know more about me than my own family. My family just knows what think is me...what I tell them. They don't know the real me, and I like it like that.<P>Maybe I'm just deranged or something. I could be, I don't know. Or maybe I'm just a troubled soul. Who knows, I'm just me.<p>[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 09:13 PM   #12
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Who me? Noooooooo. Don't look at my screen name. Ack, you did. OK, him, Faramir, and Sam. And those are on my bad days. lol, jk. Gee that does look like I've got a pretty high opinion of myself doesn't it? Which I don't, I've always identified with Boromir as far as having to struggle through life. Anyway, perhaps those were the characters I desired to be or saw a bit of myself in.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 11:09 AM   #13
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

probably mostly eowyn. it helps that i also look like her a bit im stuck in a cage but i have a short wait before i break free. <P>id like to think i identified with various different aspects of many characters, though, and not just eowyn. but id have to study them first, so for now ill stick with eowyn.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:55 PM   #14
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can identify with Éowyn in the fact that I feel caged and I'm ready to break out and go free. Just waiting for my "coming of age" to move out (and then, maybe, I'll find my Faramir). So I guess I could identify with both Boromir and Éowyn. I think I have problems.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
I'm mostly like Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir and Legolas and sometimes i'm Frodo and Pippin too.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote