The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
WW XXXIII - Other Minds and Hands

It's the year 2020, and the slightly more mature ghouls of the Downs have come together with a noble purpose; to remake The Lord of The Rings as it should have been. Tom Bombadil and the Barrowdowns will recieve a full hour of screen time; the Scouring of the Shire another. There will be no lemming hyenas or psychadelic Galadriels; Gimli will remain deadly serious at all times, and Orlando Bloom...well, he's playing an elderly man of Rohan who is simultaneously impaled, beheaded and incinerated in the battle of Helm's deep.
Needless to say, this 30 hour epic will not be cheap to film; but we're in luck; the resourceful Volo has discovered a studio which is offering a 98% discount in the wake of certain...interesting events...which occurred during the filming of "An American Werewolf in Hamburg" last year.
We, being (for the most part) not superstitious, and (for the other part) trusting in the benevolent spirit of Professor Tolkien to protect us, have booked said studio and are scheduled to commence filming on May 14th.

The day before filming was to begin, the Downers arrived, one by one or two by two, from their various corners of the globe, and deposited suitcases and duffel bags and walking-sticks and umbrellas in their respective trailers. These latter left something to be desired; most had leaky roofs, no hot water, and infestations of ants and tiny little spiders.
"Oh yeah, this isn't a fire hazard!" remarked Durelin, exploring her trailer with a roll of the eyes.
Volo, getting into character, grabbed one of the spiders with a lighting quick gesture and devoured it greedily... and then proceeded to make extremely realistic hacking and gagging noises.
Sauce whipped up a tasty, if simple, meal for the hungry cast and crew, and Rikae produced several bottles of "Old Winyards" to kick off the filming properly. Soon everyone was in a jovial mood indeed. The Downers laughed and debated and reminisced for hours, and the crowd broke into smaller groups, which roamed about the studio complex at random.
Two downers staggered into the darkened room where old costumes were stored. "Where's the light switch?" one wondered. "Maybe behind these clothes...hmm...they've got a lot of fur coats in here..."
Suddenly, there was a snarl and a shriek. The second downer doubled over in pain, foaming at the mouth.
The florescent lights suddenly blinked into flickering life, and the first Downer was met by the sight of a friend curled up on the floor and a slavering hyena-like creature standing over the victim. Adreneline pumping, the Downer grabbed a sword which hung on the wall and, with ...several, messy, bloody strokes...hewed off the beast's head.
But the friend was no longer recognisable, and the hero recieved a bite for the trouble.
Two others were walking down the hall at that moment and paused by the door at the sound of a scream inside. They turned to one another with knowing smiles...
and the door burst open. Soon, two more Downers were transformed, and the pack was complete.

Night One has begun. Wolves begin your fiendish plotting. Others, hold your horses.

The Cast and Crew

Rikae (mod) - CG Animator
Volo - Gollum
Legate of Amon Lanc - Sound Master/Saruman
Macalaure - The 7th orc in the 3rd row
Boromir88- Sir Boromir, playing Denethor
Mithalwen- Galadriel
Shastanis Althreduin - Legolas' stunt double
Durelin - Special Effects Pyrotechnician
The Saucepan Man- Set Catering Manager
Xyzzy - Young Fanboy
Brinniel- Wacky Foley Artist
Thinlómien- Non-Winged Balrog
The Sixth Wizard- Protester against Dwarven Comic Relief
Anguirel- Celeborn
Kath - Make-up Artist
Gil-Galad - Zombie-Gil-Galad
Aganzir - Smeagol
Rune -Tolkien geek who is estatic about being an Elf extra
Diamond18 - Lady in charge of Wigs and all other False Hairpieces

Last edited by Rikae; 05-13-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
It was well past midnight, and the Downers had all long since retired to their trailers after a hard day's work. Only the CG animator remained, hunched over her precious computer in the darked studio. When she heard footsteps behind her, she replied without even moving her eyes from the screen.

“Ah, yes, I'm coming to bed soon – just let me show you these ghosts, rendered and lit. There! How do you like that? So much for green termites!”

She whirled her office chair and burst into laughter.

“Hahahaha! Nice costume! Mac, is that you? Volo??....hey, what's that in your hand....?”
The beast replied: “This is called lye.”
“Heehee...”
“And this is called chemical burn....”

The sky turns from black to gray.
Birds begin to sing.
Yawning Downers stumble into the studio, clutching mugs of coffee or tea.

“What's that smell?” asked Aganzir, wrinkling her nose.
“It smells like something burned!” remarked Boromir, looking accusingly at SPM.
Sauce retorted: “I didn't burn anything!...Hey...it's coming from in here...”
The Downers filed into Rikae's office and stared in confusion.

The CG animator's work space had never been a paragon of tidiness...but this was truly bizarre.
The ubiquitous empty Pepsi bottle beside her computer was now filled with a thick, greasy substance, and ashes were heaped on the chair and scattered across the floor.

SPM picked up the bottle and examined it.
“It's fat!” He exclaimed, proud of his detective skills.
Lommy, already in her Balrog costume, was examining the ashes on the chair. Suddenly, she let out a strangled gasp. Everyone turned toward her.
The actress plucked something out of the cinders with her false claws and held it up in silence. Her face was white and her hands shaking. The object sparkled in the light from the monitor.
It was one of Rikae's leaf-shaped earrings.

SPM dropped the bottle in revulsion, and it exploded with a liquid *pop*, splashing its contents around the room.

Macalaure burst into tears.

Brinniel wished she'd recorded the sound of the exploding bottle.

The Balrog put her arm around the Orc to comfort him.

“At least she finally lost that pesky last ten pounds!”

Boromir mused “I wonder what it's really like to be burned alive.”

Durelin remarked crossly “You people better not blame ME!”

Legate climbed onto a chair and waved his hand to get everyone's attention.

“This is certainly a terrible tragedy. Our special effects are going to suffer horribly, for one thing! But Rikae died doing what she believed in...! And we're going to finish this movie...for Rikae...and send the proceeds to her wife...er, or whoever...and kids!”
“Hear, hear!” proclaimed the fanboy.
“And what's more, we'll find the people responsible for this...mess...and give them what they deserve!”
“Look!” shouted Gil-Galad, pointing to Rikae's prized 60th anniversary “giant book of death” edition of LOTR on the table.

The book lay open, and the pages were turning of their own accord. Back and forth they flipped, faster and faster...
and suddenly stopped – at the very first page.
Mithalwen walked over to the book, and, before her eyes, a luminous silver line appeared on the page, underlining two phrases. She read out loud, in her best Galadriel voice:

glimpses that had arisen unbidden of things higher or deeper or darker than its surface.

In spite of the darkness of the next five years I found that the story could not now be wholly abandoned, and I plodded on, mostly by night...”

Then – signed in the margin - “J.R.R. Tolkien”

Day 1 has begun. Wolves, shut up (er...with the PM'ing! ). Everybody else: SPEAK! NOW!!!!

The Cast and Crew

The dearly departed:

Rikae (mod) – CG Animator - Rendered and Lighted on Night 1.

Those still with us:

Volo - Gollum
Legate of Amon Lanc - Sound Master/Saruman
Macalaure - The 7th orc in the 3rd row
Boromir88- Sir Boromir, playing Denethor
Mithalwen- Galadriel
Shastanis Althreduin - Legolas' stunt double
Durelin - Special Effects Pyrotechnician
The Saucepan Man- Set Catering Manager
Xyzzy - Young Fanboy
Brinniel- Wacky Foley Artist
Thinlómien- Non-Winged Balrog
The Sixth Wizard- Protester against Dwarven Comic Relief
Anguirel- Celeborn
Kath - Make-up Artist
Gil-Galad - Zombie-Gil-Galad
Aganzir - Smeagol
Rune -Tolkien geek who is estatic about being an Elf extra
Diamond18 - Lady in charge of Wigs and all other False Hairpieces

Last edited by Rikae; 05-14-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Woo, first post! Just in time for me to get out of the hospital (contracted mononucleosis on Friday, finally went to the ER yesterday). I don't know how active I'll be today, as I'm using the on-screen keyboard to type this... I'll definately be active tomorrow, though.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nineteen there came from Rivendell, so went the word. Where is Rikae, for I do much desire...

Blast it. I've examined proceedings and have decided that you're all clearly guilty apart from my dear wife. Once we have some transport, we shall withdraw, in two separate marine stages, not that our marriage is on the rocks or anything...the rest of you can stew in your lupine juices.

I am going to spend my time whittling some stylish river-going vessels and white-water rafting. Wolves, do not attack me, for I am an Elf Lord of ancient lineage, even though no one seems to know who my parents were, and have many powers potent and strong.

I'm also not that Wise. Definitely not a Seer or anything. Neither's my wife. That mirror is purely employed for purposes of vanity.

Oh God! I had half-a-dozen lines in the canonical script, and now this!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
My presiouss! What are we iss do heer?!

Not uss, niise hobbitss.

What? No hobbits? Precious is free!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
What was that smell? Spoiling nice meat, scorching it, are they? They shouldn't have done that, sss, no! Nassty red tongues! It's dangerous, yes it is. It burns, it kills. It killed Rikae, nice Rikae. Sméagol doesn't like at all, precious, no.
And where are the nassty hobbitses, precious? Where have they taken the Precious? We wants to complain to the director for not employing hobbitses, nassty director. We can't bite off Frodo's finger, I can't.

Sméagol is sorry but Sméagol can't be very active toDay. We have to sleep, we have to go to school, we have to see friends, nassty friends. Sméagol will be back to vote some hours before the deadline, but if one balrog friend of Sméagol's must go home early, Sméagol will return again about the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum
Precious is free!
The Precious is Sméagol's!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Possibly having read too much Stanislavsky..

The Lord Celeborn maybe called wise, and long years of the world outside, have I dwellt with him in Caras Galadhon, yet while he speaks truly of my innocence, should he speak slightingly of the powers of the mirror of Galadriel, calling it perchance "The magic birdbath", or otherwise suggest that I need to spend longer in make-up than the other female cast members, he may find himself walking the strange paths of Elvish dreams on the spare flet.

Indeed already from my mirror (ie the Admin thread ), I have learnt that our quest is balanced on the edge of a knife for though we have four sworn enemies, further foes of number unspecified may haunt our steps though we are aided by the Three whose powers are not clearly revealed and my reading has not yet discerned any clues.

Though it be soon in the day, I would exhort the fellowship to be mindful of the commandments of the Lady Rikae as concerns voting (ie remember double lynching is possible and only one retractio) .... though perhaps she spoke in jest only when she instructed us to vote for Rune ....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Indeed, my lady, I should be most loth to vote for Master Rune, seeing as he is the only Elf apart from ourselves and your illustrious relative's revanant shape, and so might be said to constitute the entire People of Lorien...I have no desire to be a Lord without subjects to wisely shepherd...

In the absence of that parvenu stripling Master Elrond, I suppose we get to host the Council at last (unless the Balrog of Moria wishes to put in a counter-claim...)

To me the instruction of the late departed most deserving of attention is the advice about "slightly unique" helpers. I shall therefore proceed on the assumption that we have something amounting to a Seer, Ranger and Hunter on our side, until evidence arises against this.

Did the lady also hint that sundry ruffians, like unto Cobblers, will aid the wolves? This I shall check once more, yet I think it passing unlikely for the present.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
White-Hand

Well? Why must you disturb my rest? Will you give me no peace at all by night or day?

Four enemies are hiding among you now. And as for the Lady here, she spoke of other possible dangers. That may be so, but the thought is late in coming to you. How long, I wonder, are you, "secret roles", going to conceal from me, the head of the Council, a matter of greatest import? What are you waiting for? What will bring you now from your lurking-places?

But come now! Yes, I am now speaking to you, Innocents, and especially you, good Gifted! Much have I desired to see you, especially in these dark times, for you could be of the greatest help to us, having a noble mind and eyes that look both deep and far. Alas, I cannot, and I know that: there's too much at stake. But even if you stay hidden, let your counsels help us. Much we could still accomplish together, to heal the disorders of this place. And this goes for you, all the Innocent minds. Let us understand one another, and dismiss from thought these meddling creatures! Shall we make our counsels together against evil days?

Silence kills. Especially now. Early time it might be, but we must grasp as much knowledge as we could, and this is not accomplished by just silence or idle monologues. Rather, let us talk.

Are we alone here? Or is there anyone else, waiting? Speak! What have you to say?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Ah, yes. The head of the Council. I had quite forgotten him.

Hmph. No comment. Far be it from me to take issue with the respected Curunir, but...hmph. Come on, Galadriel, let's see if we can plant some mallorns here about. The trees call out to us. Do they not call this the Wood of the Hollies?

At least I have a starring role now we seem to have lost contact with that troublesome Fellowship...
Old 05-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
That was great.

Rikae - the narrations were hilarious. Though, I must say that when Agan phoned me and told me the brief version of my death narration it sounded more than little pervertic...

Kudos for the magnificient wolves and the amusingly cunning mediums and for the great cobbler and for everyone actually, since that was a great game. It was a pity I died so early - the game looked so intriguing and I would have loved to try my role more (I've never before been a ranger by the way...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di
I have to admit (boast?) that I nominated Lommy to be killed and felt an enormous amount of glee when she turned out to be gifted.
Now I know who I will try to get rid of in the next ww-game...

Oh, and I can't just believe Legate was an ordo. His behaviour baffled me a lot. He was jumpy like a wolf but careless like an ordo. I suspected him on Day1, but then (I thought) the puzzle was solved - that exactly is the behaviour of a gifted! So I protected him on Night2 and quite changed my opinion on Day2...

I'm very glad Kath was innocent, because I protected her the night I died. I also considered protecting Ang - they both looked quite innocent and possible kill targets based on innocentishness (aside for me, I was acknowledging the danger of getting killed myself). But I considered killing Volo (to test him) that night! I almost did it, since I believed he was either the reincarnation of Tolkien or a bluffing wolf, but happily I changed my opinion on the last minute, thinking the risk of him being a gifted is a bit too big. I'm so glad I didn't kill him!

Those wolf pms are so funny by the way.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Hah, it would have been GREAT if Lommy had killed Volo. I think I would have died of laughter. *snicker*
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Though, I must say that when Agan phoned me and told me the brief version of my death narration it sounded more than little pervertic...
Perverted? Why ever would you say that??
Old 05-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
White-Hand What a game! What a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
My reason for dreaming of Legate, by the way, was because I thought that he looked Wolfish and so concluded, on the basis of my usual performance, that he might well be the Seer ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Oh, and I can't just believe Legate was an ordo. His behaviour baffled me a lot. He was jumpy like a wolf but careless like an ordo. I suspected him on Day1, but then (I thought) the puzzle was solved - that exactly is the behaviour of a gifted! So I protected him on Night2 and quite changed my opinion on Day2...
I'd like to clear here one thing a little bit, it was actually sort of a bait from me and I really thought like that, I wanted to cause attention and (possibly) look as if I were a Gifted... I had a plan of luring wolves out, of course... from what I see, it worked only a little bit (though somehow yes: it worked on SpM and the Wolves also a little bit thought about me being a Gifted, though not as much as I hoped). Well, it was just a try. Funnily enough, looks like Lommy was the only one to think exactly how I imagined/wanted/supposed people to think, which, though it proves a nice empathic link, in her case as a Gifted, was not quite my intention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
I just thought Legate was confused on the way I play and therefor was a misled innocent.
All too true... However good my intentions were, apart from SpM and Mac, I ended mostly suspecting innocents (and SpM also isn't much of a win).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:11 AM   #15
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Perverted? Why ever would you say that??
Well, Agan can make anything sound perverted... (Seriously, I think it had mostly do with her focusing on things like the attractive ill-fitting polyester uniform...)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Thanks for making me a gifted. . .it was so nice to finaly try it, even though it ended in tears.

I must say this was an interesting game, unfortunately i did not follow the ending as I got sick and my ear-drum ruptured and for some reason that made me stay away fro BD and LJ. . . dunno why.

There was a lot of interesting roles and good preformances, but also a lot of frustrating things and I must admit that I was left stunned by some of the desitions of the village. . . .

I am kind of sad that I did not get a few extra nights to spy as my next targets where Mac and then Di. . .Shasta I never had a clue about.

If I may talk just a tad bit more about my self, then I will do so. . . I must say that these last few games of ww have really given my ww-ego a boost. Not only have I saved my own neck twice by getting Brinniel lynched, but I have also been alright at picking out wolwes.

Oh and Lommy, I am so sorry I did not protect you that night. . .I was so close to doing it, but agreed with my self that spying was so much cooler.

I belive my message to Rikae was something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Tonight I will spy on Lommy, I can do that right?
If not then I will protect her. . .
For me there where three people that really stood out in this game and preformed at the highest level and that was Shasta, SPM and Rikae!

Shasta, simply because I had no clue what so ever. .

SPM. . . never have I been so convinced by cobblerish arguments

Rikae because she has nice hair! oh yeah and she was also OK as a mod

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote