The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril Midwesterners - LOTR Costume Exhibit this fall!

Hello to everyone in the Midwestern US... and elsewhere as well. I'm starting this thread for the LOTR Costume Exhibit for when it visits Indianapolis this fall from Oct. 6th-Jan. 3rd at the Indiana State Museum. The Phantom wanted me to post this info, because perhaps a group may be interested in attending together. It is early to post, yes, but sometimes early is better for planning things.
It is possible that there may be some event to go along with opening weekend like there was in Boston, so I'll have to keep my eyes open. I know that I proposed the idea to those who put together The Gathering of the Fellowship (http://www.tolkiengathering.com), because they were looking for more opportunities to do fund raising events. Nevertheless, if you may be interested in going and/or want to keep up to date, this is the place to do it.

Here is the link to the website: http://www.in.gov/ism/MuseumExhibits/lotr.asp
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Ah, wonderful... Finally something in my hometown. I actually heard about this on the radio and meant to post but forgot. I will certainly visit there a few times on my own, but as for a potential Downer gathering, I vote that we put it sometime in the holiday break area for most convenience. Very exciting; I love the State Museum. Located on our beautiful canal which feature fountains, goldfish, and paddle boat rides...and Giorgio's Pizza
Alright Lindo, enough with the culture info...
Wow, I read Nil's posts too much; I've got an alter ego now. Aaaanyway, good news, I can't wait!

EDIT: Readers, check out Mr. U's cautionary post from "Well what about the midwest" which applies to this topic too

Last edited by Lindolirian; 01-31-2005 at 07:56 PM. Reason: add link
Lindolirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:58 PM   #3
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

How wonderful! This event is really close to me too...I live approximately an hour and half away. This would be a great meeting place too...we wouldn't have to worry about ice breakers. Count me in.

Do you have any idea how much the tickets and such cost for these events?

~Alak
Old 01-31-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Quote:
Do you have any idea how much the tickets and such cost for these events?
If my memory serves me, it's $7 for adult and probably $6.50 or $6for seniors (just in case Mithadan wants to come )
Old 01-31-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
I vote that we put it sometime in the holiday break area for most convenience.
I'll vote for that.

I'm going to be within an easy drive of Indianapolis for several days around Christmas and New Year's Day, so that should work well for me.

That museum is downtownish, isn't it? I love Indy's downtown.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Phoo... the Holiday would be a bad time for me. It's about a 4-5 hour drive, and the weather may be crap by that time of year. I'm probably going to be going some time in October. Le sigh. I can't ever seem to get to go to these Downs gatherings (even though I was so close last time... so close).
Old 03-05-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Not around the holidays?

Oh, phooey.

Then again, I suppose there's nothing wrong with going twice. I usually have an October break.

I give you my word, Miss Gamgee, that if you make your trek to Indy during my break from school- I will go too.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Then again, I suppose there's nothing wrong with going twice. I usually have an October break.
Hear, hear! I see nothing wrong with going twice, but I think we should still keep the December/January time open because we can still find more Midwesterners out there. I haven't gotten my schedule for next year, but I'm pretty sure theres a fall break I can work in there. If not, weekends probably work as the college I plan on attending is only an hour away from Indy.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:00 PM   #9
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Ticket Info Update

Quote:
Concerning Tickets
Anticipation is building for the opening of the last stop on the tour of The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy - The Exhibiton. The Indiana State Museum is finalizing plans and making preparations for the exhibition, which will feature props, costumes and special effects from all three movies.

Tickets for the Indiana State Museum's showing of The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy - The Exhibition (Oct. 6, 2005 - Jan. 3, 2006) will go on sale to museum members on July 1. Tickets will be available to the general public beginning Aug. 1. Tickets will be available online.

Tickets are timed, which means visitors only will be allowed into the exhibition at the time specified on their tickets.

Ticket prices:
~ $14 for adults
~ $13.50 for seniors (60 and older)
~ $9 for children (3 to 12)
~ $4 for museum members
~ Group rates are available.
Evidently we're going to have to choose a date for sure by the first of August. And sorry no, I don't have a membership... though I should.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:21 PM   #10
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Rats! I live about 4-5 hours away, although still in the midwest, and I can't drive. Unless I can convince my whole family to come...

Last edited by Orominuialwen; 03-18-2005 at 05:25 PM. Reason: forgot to capitalize an "I"...
Orominuialwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:57 PM   #11
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Well, Mr. Phantom... PM me when your breaks occur.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:11 PM   #12
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Tickets go on sale August 1 and they are timed, which means we will be assigned a specific date and time to go through the exhibit. Group rates go to groups with ten or more people so we'd love to have anyone else who wants to come along!
Tigerlily: I've gotten my schedule for next year's breaks, shall I PM that to you?

Oh yes, and in order to get the group rate, the tickets have to be pruchased together, so once we get it all together I can probably manage that since I live only a half hour away.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:57 PM   #13
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Well, as of right now I have no clue when I am actually going, but I'm pretty sure it will be in October because I can pretty much expect ok driving weather then. As it gets closer to winter that may not be the case.
I don't know if I'll be planning a Downs gathering there... I know one thing, I can't put a block of tickets on my credit card.
Plus, some friends from Chicago and Wisconsin are going to meet me there too, so we'll probably be buying our block together. I'll glady post the date I decide on, though, to see if others can make it then.