The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-21-2001, 01:16 PM   #1
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Merry & Pippin - Good Or Bad

Do u think that Merry and Pippin played a good or a bad role in the LOTR because it could be argued that they played a bad role at least in FOTR, because at Bree one of them mentioned the name of Baggins which caused Frodo to accidentily put on the ring. Another went outside and was seen by the Black Riders. One of them also awoke the Balrog in Moria when they dropped the stone down the well. one of them looked into the Palantir. What do u think? Sorry, but I can never remember which one did what!
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 01:53 PM   #2
Fenrir
Wight

Fenrir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, Pippin looked into the palantir in TT but that turned out alright because he was mistaken for the ringbearer. Merry was found by the riders but since they already knew Frodo was staying at the Prancing Pony no harm was done. Pippin dropped the stone into the well, the company might have made it out intact if it hadn't been for that. However, if Gandalf had survived his encouter with the balrog he would be unable to defeat Saruman. The hobbits get captured by orcs to be found by Treebeard, their arrival causes the ents to attack Isengard. Later, Merry helps destroy the Witch-King and Pippin saves Faramir. Bringing Merry and Pippin along was definately a good thing.

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Fenrir ]
Old 12-22-2001, 12:02 AM   #3
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would say that they played a good role, without Merry, Eowyn would not have defeated the Witchking, and without Pippin, Faramir would have been dead.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 04:18 PM   #4
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I think that Merry and Pippin are good. Foolish, yes, but generally good. I'd even go so far as to say that Pippin is my favorite character. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2001, 07:46 PM   #5
Son of Gondor
Pile O'Bones

Son of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think Merry and Pippen only go to prove that there comes a time when precise planning and strategy will fail and that is where an unexpected and lucky hero will emerge
Old 12-30-2001, 11:41 AM   #6
Primula Banks

Pipe

Hello! I'm new, please don't eat me. I'll sit in my corner quietly, if you like. *hides*
__
I think that Merry and Pippin played quite a good role, despite their foolishness and quirks. As has been said, without Merry, Eowyn might not have lived, and Merry and Pippin served many nobles and saved many lives in Return of the King.
They also proved, in The Two Towers, to be a bit of comic relief in a very dire situation. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2001, 12:05 PM   #7
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Pippin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Pippin I admit did kinda mess things up a little [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] but alla the consequences turned out good. even in Moria, if Gandalf hadn't fallen he wouldn't have defeated Saruman, as someone said earlier. but why Elrond was SOOOOO against Pippin going kinda made me wonder. If he knew he woas gonna cause trouble, ie, Moria, the Palantir etc, then he must of known the good he would do too. And if he didn't know how useful he'd prove in the end, why the insistant "my heart forbodes his going" attitude?
any theories?
Old 12-30-2001, 11:46 PM   #8
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Tolkien

In the book he had hoped to send at least one of them back to the shire to warn their people.
Old 12-31-2001, 02:35 AM   #9
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes. I think also the fact he was younger than the other Hobbits, as Elrond mentions. I get the impression didn't want to send one so young into danger, especially danger he didn't understand. Rather fatherly of him actually.
Old 12-31-2001, 03:17 AM   #10
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Pipe

I hadn't remembered that, but your right, he had fostered so many since the time of Valandil it was like second nature to him. And he was good at it.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:23 AM   #11
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
The books just woudn't have been the same without Pipin and Merry. The hobbits add a great touch to the story. Thier screw-ups made the story likable. And it all worked out in the end. They became very respectible people.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:00 PM   #12
Mr. Frodo
Pile O'Bones

Mr. Frodo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Frodo
Silmaril

They were very good to bring along in the end, but they had a lot of growing up to do first. Pippin didn't listen to orders and saved Faramir. Merry did the same and saved Eowyn and killed the Witchking. And it was really the two of them that were in charge during the scouring of the Shire. They have a way of doing the right thing even though it may not seem like it at the time.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:32 PM   #13
Ms. Took
Haunting Spirit

Ms. Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ms. Took
Sting

Even though they did mess things up a lot, they had good intentions. They really did want to help Frodo. Besides everything they did wrong worked out in the end.
Ms. Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 06:49 PM   #14
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I know that Fenrir and a couple others pointed this out, but Pippin and Merry were kind of driving forces in the story, causing things to happen which at first glance seemed awful and tragic, but then turned out to be for the best. The primary example that comes to my mind is Gandalf's fall. Pippin did indirectly cause Gandalf's "death" by awakening the Balrog, but if Gandalf hadn't fallen, he would never have become the "White Rider", able to defeat Saruman and help greatly in winning the ensuing battles. So even though on first impression, the two crazy albeit lovable hobbits may seem like mistakes, they actually set in motion some pretty big events.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:31 PM   #15
Wormtongue
Pile O'Bones

Wormtongue has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Merry and Pippin were an integral part of the tale of the Ring. With their help, directly or otherwise, they managed to have a hand in some major events (Eowen,Ents,etc). I'm still not positive that the rock thrown down the hole "awakened" the Balrog. Maybe he was eating an orc and the stone bounced of his nose...I don't know.
The mischeivous hobbits brought light to the tale during some awfully dark spots, and overall, did more good than ill. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Bowstring and steel will prevail..."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Manowar
Wormtongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 12:08 PM   #16
pippin_took0
Haunting Spirit

pippin_took0 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think they were good - without them the Ents would not have been roused and they wouldn't have destroyed Isenguard.
pippin_took0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 01:21 PM   #17
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Well in the film I thought Merry was evil, but in the books I think they were just being hobbits, and everyone makes mistakes. In the end I think they were good.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 02:22 PM   #18
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not sure what you thought was evil about Merry in the movie. Could you tell us? I'm kinda curious...I never really thought about that.

I think that they were good, but naive and foolish, but without the things that they did, much could have gone wrong.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:30 PM   #19
KevinThomas

Sting

I really dont understand something:why did they make Merry and Pippin a pair of bumbling morons in the movie? huh? At least in the books, they had 1/2 a brain. I'm not saying they're stupid, but they coulda made them act "smarter" in the movie. Otherwise, Merry and Pippin are cool.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:42 PM   #20
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Welcome to the Downs, KevinThomas!
BTW, I agree with you completely! I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll say it again: Merry and Pippin are not as clumsy as Peter Jackson made them out to be. That is one of my few rants against the movie.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 10:54 PM   #21
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

A three-hour movie has to simplify something to cram everything in and this is one of those things that gets ironed out a bit. Actually, I think Pippin is an especially appealing character because he is so young, still learning and growing. This contrast also comes over better in the book than the movie. In the movie, you have no sense that Frodo is considerably older than his companions, particularly Pippin. As such, you lose something of the contrast in age between the characters.
Old 04-27-2002, 03:29 PM   #22
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If Pippin hadn't looked into the Palantir, he wouldn't have ridden ahead with Gandalf to Minas Trith, and he wouldn't have saved Faramir.