Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-02-2003, 05:06 PM   #561
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

Looking around the tabel he said"One moment sirs I shall be right back."

He whent over to the tabel where the fainting hobbit and the white lady where and said to pio"I see you are needed right now Pio but when you are free please come over. I need to speak with you about a room.There is also a pressing matter I wish to speak with you about but only when you are not needed"

With that said he walked away and back to the tabel.The Ranger and stranger where now speaking while he was gone.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:07 PM   #562
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

excheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Belle started,then woke up crying.She had had nightmares before,but something about this one seemed too complicated for her to fully understand.Something about the elves,they were too real.
In the dream,there were elves everywhere.They didn't seem scary like the ones in the main room,but they wern't paying attention to her.They were watching down a path in the forest.Were they waiting for something?yes,but whatever it was,it scared them.One of the elves suddenly shouted something about "black water".Belle was picked up as everyone ran,and an elven cloak was wrapped around her face.
Whoever had her stopped moving.It was a long time before arms let her go.She threw the cloak off,and saw the elf that had carried her sit back,head in hands,crying.Whatever they had been running from was still there.She couldn't see or hear it,but something was in the air.It was too quiet.
"Where are the others?"she asked the elf,but the elf only wrapped it's cloak around it's shoulders.Something about the silence made her cry.
"I should stay away from the elves I think"she whispered,"thier very polite,but strange folk,coming around the Shire all of a sudden,bringing nightmares..but I can't really say I hate them"
She fluffed her pillows,but felt restless.Looking out through the window,she saw the distant stars fading."Well,maybe I should go ahead and get up,it's almost morning".With that,she wiped her face and walked downstairs.

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: excheeto ]
Old 01-02-2003, 05:31 PM   #563
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was early morning, about six hours since Barodir recieved the Elixer of Poppy when he finally awoke from his calm but painful slumber. He slowly sat up, being sure to cause no further injury to his left arm.

Immediatly, he thought of his dreams from the night past, and forgot entirely about his injury. He stood up out of bed and decided to leave as soon as possible, for he had to report his progress and save his family from potential torment and death.

Downstairs, the inn's main floor was desolate, save some Elves who had spent the night, a Hobbit and Pio. To anyone who seemed to notice him, he stated:

"I am truly sorry for the misfortune I have caused you and the other guests. I will be more courteous on my next visit, if there is one. I must return to Minas Tirith and accept my punishment for failure. I thank you for the treatment and room, and I bid you a Happy New Year. Farewell!"

He took his sheild, sword, and other gear and started for the door. At the doorway, he saw a figure that he wished he didn't: the theif from the previous night. He stared at the Dark Elf with a look of terror and hatred, for his nightmare was at this Elf's cost.

"You have evaded my blade for the last time!" Barodir shouted.

Then realizing the others were staring at him, he said, "I shall take this fight to the courtyard to prevent further damage to this fair inn."

With that, he drew out his blade and cast down his sheild, for his left arm was still in pain. Then he left to the yard to smite his foe, even if it claimed his own life...

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Barodir ]
Old 01-02-2003, 06:18 PM   #564
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The elven woman looked up and watched the ranger take his quarrell outside. For hours on end the mysterious elf had been writing, she then looked to the hobbit in need of a healer.. "My name is Umbria, i am familliar with elven medicine, should you need my assistance?, yet i am here because i see there will be many more in need of healing" she jestured to Barodir leaving. "men of the south.. it has been many years since i have travelled there" she gave a small laugh and finally put away her quill and examined the pages of her writing.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-02-2003, 07:12 PM   #565
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

One of the elves muttered, "Cami.. did you say Goodchilde? Well, then, perhaps this is for you. A hobbit gave it to me, a rather rapscallionish scamp. But the name is clear. Cami Goodchilde." The elf handed Cami the note.

Cami opened it.

Dear Mom:

I wish you'd just come home to the riverbank. I know you love that city, but I'm telling you, it's nothing but trouble. Men and circular walls and ... stairwells?? You never would have fallen like that from a good solid flet, I'll wager. You'd be safer in the forests than in those dratted cities.

And if you went to the tombs, I don't want to know!

If you can't come back to a nice safe riverbank to recuperate, then, make sure Bird understands your plight. She'll keep you out of trouble; although if she cracks too many jokes, you'll hurt your ribs again laughing. And I'm sure Piosenniel will be very helpful; just don't let her near you with a rope, even if she does claim it's for your own good.

Take care of yourself and watch your step.

Love, Gamba
Old 01-02-2003, 07:44 PM   #566
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

Soon he grew ipatient his task was too urgent.So he excused himself again and walked over to Pios tabel.He gestured hello then towards a seat when Pio nodded and so he sat now by her for a moment.

Suddenly he heard the man come down who was wounded earlier.Now he was leaving and saw someone he was going to fight in the courtyard with him.

Well he thought to himself will I never get a minute where miss Pio wasn't running about.If this is how it always is here I will never return.

The Elf was tending the wounds of the hurt hobbit so he thought for a moment he could speak to her.It seemed now he had to wait at the tabel.

So he turned to them and said "Quite a night now wasn't this"
Old 01-02-2003, 07:48 PM   #567
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

It was a long route and required several days' flying, particularly because of the need to avoid an especially viscious flock of crebain on the outskirts of Fangorn Forest, but eventually the brown and white falcon found his way to The Green Dragon. He eyed the windows and door warily and when one opened, he quickly took his chance and flew in.

Bedraggled, wet, and mightily hungry, he spotted the elf who looked a tad bilious and perched down on a chairback near her. He stretched his neck and pecked at his wing feathers to settle them down, and then offered her his left leg, the one with the metal band, tiny scrolled message, and a small, very small, parcel.

The elf watched him a minute or two and then reached over to take the message. The Innkeeper read it:

Good gracious, Cami, what wretched adventures befall a hobbit outside The Shire. That city is simply not the finest place to be.

I am glad, most glad, to hear that you have returned to your comfortable smial and hope that rest will aid your recovery. Lift no heavy boxes, lie back and let your bones knit, take it easy.

Wrapped inside this Air Falcon package please find some herbal tincture for rubbing on your ribs, to soothe the pain, and a tasty nibble of chocolate squares.

And promise me never again to attempt to imitate those who would float on stairs. You are not cut out for it.

love and best wishes,
Bethberry,
The White Horse

The Innkeeper looked up after reading the missive and found herself the object of a hungry glare. Turning to the kitchen, she sought out some strips of flesh to satisfy the carniverous bird.

She wondered if the bird would be able to guide anyone to Rohan on his return journey.

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-02-2003, 07:53 PM   #568
Rai

Sting

'I'd say it was.' The young girl's cool comment was quiet. 'Did you see?' she asked. 'The man who was hurt is leaving. He looks like a Ranger to me.'
Jatyn tossed her head. A quick nap had refreshed her and her golden eyes sparked with good health. However, she knew that she had to be moving on. She had a mission.
-Jatyn Coolheart-

"The winds of evil flag against me, yet I am immovable."

Old 01-02-2003, 08:24 PM   #569
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elanor sighed. What a day! She was sure this part of the Shire had never seen such happenings, not for a very long time.

It seemed a trend at the moment for people to collapse from weariness, she noted. Things were not looking well- Elanor hoped that she would not become like them in the later stages of her journey.

Faced with all these new happenings, she felt even smaller than usual. "Miss Pio?" She called uncertainly. "Will you be needing me any more for tonight?" Because I'd very much like to go to bed, she thought, thinking longingly of the rooms waiting for her in another part of the inn.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:26 PM   #570
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Beruthiel opened her eyes slowly, she was sitting on a chair all alone. On the table in front of her was pot of tea with three cups. She looked around to see a tall man walk outside, two women tending a halfling as well as other creatures sitting and drinking around the other tables.

One of the two women noticed her and came over. "Hello, are you alright? I am Piosenniel or Pio and who are you?."
said the elf.
"I am Beruthiel." replied the elf.
"Here have some tea, it might make you feel better." said pio as she poured some into a cup and moved it towards Beruthiel.
"Thank you, is there room in this place to stay?" she asked, sipping the tea.

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 01-02-2003, 08:35 PM   #571
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Umbria stayed at her table and called to Barodir "you say you are a man of the south, tell me friend, how is the south, for it has been long since my travel permitted me to be there" she then took out the thick wad of papers she had written and lay them upon the table "do you know the prince of Dol Amroth?"

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-02-2003, 09:11 PM   #572
Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Pile O'Bones

Kirsanne_Tolebrass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Silmaril

A female hobbit around the age of 30 comes inside and sits in a corner by herself listening to the talk of others.

She has long, curly brown hair and is relatively tall for a hobbit. She sees her friend Araminta Greene walk in and goes to talk to her.

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Kirsanne_Tolebrass ]
Old 01-02-2003, 09:25 PM   #573
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

"Yes there are some rooms available and I will help you with that later, for now I must tend to miss goodchild who is in great pain. I will come back to you soon." said Pio
"Alright" replied Beruthiel. 'I guess I should try to meet someone to cure my loneliness, although I do feel much better.' she thought to herself. Her legs still ached a little but she had mainly only been dehydrated and the tea had cured it.

A young halfling had just walked in and sat in the corner. 'They are a curious folk, the halflings, I have never met one before. I guess I should start somewhere.'
She walked over to the corner where the halfling sat.
"Hi, my name is Beruthiel and I am new to these parts, may I join you?" asked Beruthiel.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:18 PM   #574
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rie and Nuru sat there for a while in silence, but not an uncomfortable silence...more like a contented silence, just pleased to be with each other and finding no need for words. Finally Rie stood up.

"Well, I had told myself earlier that I'd probably not stay here for the night, and I was right--I suppose I know myself. I hear some commotion downstairs, and I wouldn't want to miss anything. And it appears that this is an inn where if you stay too long in one place, you miss a world of activity!" Rie laughed cheerfully, and gestured for Nuru to stand up. "So come, let's go down and see what's going on, and what we've missed."

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 01-02-2003, 10:19 PM   #575
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

OOC: Redoing my post, as Orual's came right before mine and we did different things. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

======================

Nuru hurried down the stairs next to Rie, laughing and joking with her all the way. Nuru couldn't even begin to think how glad she was to have met this sweet maid.

When they arrived downstairs they found that a great deal had been going on. By asking questions, they soon found out that one woman had fainted at the door and a young hobbit lass had taken a tumble down the stairs, though they weren't able to find out if it were at her home or at the inn.

Nuru couldn't help noticing that Pio seemed very busy, running back and forth, so she whispered in Rie's ear and then approached Pio.

"Could Rie and I help out in the kitchen, Pio?" she asked. "We see you're busy and we'd love to help."

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 01-02-2003, 10:34 PM   #576
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Laurie was touched that the innkeeper could be so kind. Traveling so far had been hard and her purse was much thinner than when she set out. What she really needed was some work, of any sort really, to help pay expenses.

"Thank you so very much. I have traveled far on my journeys, but never have I come to a place more friendly, I cannot express my gratitude. My story is not very long, for though I have come from far, I have not had many adventures upon the way. You see..."

But just as she was getting started, the door burst open and in staggered a hobbit! What a very active place this is, indeed, thought Laurie. Pio quickly jumped up to help the little creature, and for several minutes, there seemed to be chaos inside the inn. A man came down from the rooms above and yelled something about a fight and another hobbit entered the inn. All this motion made Laurie's head swim with confusion and she stood up unsteadily, draining the last of her tea. Pio seemed busy tending to the hurt hobbit and the other customers. Perhaps she could just ask the little brown-haired hobbit standing over yonder the way to her room. She stood, her white dress rustling, and made her way to the little person, who looked nearly as tired as herself.

"I'm terribly sorry to bother you, but could you please show me to my room? I'm afraid the innkeeper is rather busy, and I do not want to bother her. If she should ask, tell her she shall recieve full payment for the room when I awake, but all this activity is rather much at the moment." Laurie hoped she wasn't being too much of a bother but she felt she would end up falling asleep in her chair, which would be rude indeed.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:42 PM   #577
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

excheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Belle slowly walked over and sat at a table,rubbing her eyes the whole way.An elven lady walked over to her table.
"Hi, my name is Beruthiel and I am new to these parts, may I join you?" she asked.Belle was startled,but quickly calmed herself.'Forget the dream'she thought,then gave a nervouse smile.
"Sit down"Belle said,"where are you from and why are you here?there's not much to tell about these parts,I used to think nothing ever happened around here,but I think I've changed my mind"she cut her sentence off quickly,she knew right away she had probably said more than she should.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:13 AM   #578
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami snuggled contentedly in by the fire. She'd received a lovely letter by Shire post from her son Gamba, and another sent by her dear friend Bethberry, which had been hastily conveyed on the back of a great brown and white falcon. Both contained good wishes for her speedy recovery, and the ardent hope that she would refrain from future journies to the geat city of the realm, which was simply too large and confusing for a small hobbit such as herself. For one moment, she smiled a bit and forget the throbbing pain in her side.

Just as she was about to slip back into dreamy reveries of sweet summer days with swimming holes and fireworks over the Shire, her thoughts were interrupted by a great black Bird that flew in raucously from outside, and departed just as swiftly. Cami's heart went pat-a-pat, as this was one whom she had not seen for some time.

A clever message of greeting came spinning into her lap. It included several lovely compliments on the size of her feet (which, if truth be told, Cami considered her best feature) and suggested any hobbit with such a generous gift had best stay clear of stairwells. Cami began to giggle at that advice, but thought better of it due to the splitting pain which such laughter quickly produced. So she hobbled over to the window and looked up longingly to the sky, and waved a last goodbye to her friend Bird who was apparently migrating south for the winter, but was expected to return in the spring.

Then Cami noticed a young hobbit named Laurie who was shaking out her purse and sadly counting over the few pennies that still remained inside. She seemed like an agreeable enough lass, if a little shy.

Perhaps, Cami thought, since I can't tote trays very well the next few weeks, this lass might be interested in helping serve drinks and dinners in exchange for a warm bed and several good hobbit meals a day. Cami scribbled out a note to the Elf Innkeeper and left it tacked up on her door to see if something might be arranged. For although the girl was poor, she seemed quite cheerful and perhaps knew a tale or two to help amuse the visitors to the Inn.

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-03-2003, 03:02 AM   #579
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio heard the small, tired voice of Elanor saying exactly what she was feeling. 'Go on to bed, Elanor. You've done a good days work just in these last few hours of the night.' She saw the Hobbit sigh with relief and trudge toward the staircase to the rooms above.

Her shoulders slumped when she heard Pio call her name, just as she put her foot on the first step. 'Oh no, not another fallen visitor to the Inn. I just can't bear it!' But all the Elf wanted was for her to show Beruthiel and Laurie to their rooms. Elanor gave them each a lighted candle to take up stairs with them and motioned for them to follow her.

Pio made another pot of sweet spice tea and went to the table where Cami sat, her eyes dreamy from the potions of the Mannish healers. 'It doesn't really take away the pain does it.' she said to her friend as she sat down and propped her legs on on a chair seat. 'It just makes you not really care that you're hurting.' She poured a cup of hot tea for her friend and pushed the pot of honey toward her, along with a small plate of jame filled scones.

It was comfortable, sitting there, with Cami. They had been friends for so long that often they finished each others' thoughts, or could sit in silence for long whiles without the urge to chatter at each other.

'I miss Bird.' said Pio softly. 'I wish she could have stayed a little while longer.' She sipped slowly on her drink. 'She's gone to Sheetrock, you know. A little known village somewhere out east.'

Eruantalon had come up silently to the table and stood near. 'May I help you?' said the Elf, looking at him over the rim of her cup. He wanted a room for the night, but Pio had just given the last to the two women who had gone upstairs with Elanor.

'It's a fair night, Sir. Come I have a place you can stay snug and warm and there will be no charge.' She bade him gather up his pack and bedroll and took him out to the stable and up to the hayloft.

Mounding the hay as if it were a mattress, she threw several clean horse blankets over it, and helped him lay out his bedroll. She positioned a small crate near the head of his bed, and left him a small lantern for his use. 'Be very careful, sir.' she warned him. 'Do not go to sleep with the lantern still lit. I would not have the stable burned down and find you done to a crisp tomorrow morning.'

With a word of good-night to him, she climbed back down the ladder, and went back inside to sit with Cami. They watched the scenes and faces in the embers of the dying fire, remembering things long past.

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-03-2003, 03:50 AM   #580
ambi
Pile O'Bones

ambi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Esgalindorn, the ranger finally woke up. Sipping beer from a mug given to him by the inn keeper he heard all that people around him were speaking about. He looked around and saw elves, hobbits, dwarves and men.

He stood up and spoke out, "Listen to me, fair folk. I bring news from my captain in the North."

A few people looked up at him in wonder. None of them had noticed how young the ranger was. He couldn't be more than 18 years of age. Young and full of life, but at the same time, there seemed to be some bitter grief in his eyes.

"A decision was made to increase the number of rangers posted in and around the shire. And I've been chosen as one of them."
Old 01-03-2003, 05:22 AM   #581
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eruantalon had left the table, and the Elf was now sat by the Ranger who had asked his name. Well, he sits with me, and has a right to know, he thought, and what harm can it do now? Half the inn at least must know of my name by now. He sighed.

“My name is Erdaminéon. I know not how many times I have spoken those four words tonight, but enough to put anyone who searched for me onto my trail.”

He watched as Eruantalon spoke to Pio, and wondered. What was so important that he should rush to trouble Pio? She was busy, so it must be urgent. Then Both left the inn, and Pio returned. For a moment he sat and watched, but the rain was beginning to cease, and he could not put things off any longer.

“My friend,” he said to the ranger, Anuion, “I must leave you now, but I hope our paths will cross again. I do not know what you are to be led into by Eruantalon there, but I hope all the best for you.”

He rose from the table and crossed the room once again, weaving in and out of the tables. He made his way to where Pio sat, where the man had spoken to her. He put a hand beneath his cloak, and drew out a handful of coins, which he set on the table beside her.

“For the ale and food you have served me during the night,” he begun, “ and for your kindness also. I must ask you to tell my friend Eruantalon that I have left, and also that I will meet him again. I do not know when, but I may return here soon. And wish him luck for me. He will understand.”

With this, Erdaminéon turned and walked slowly and wistfully through the door, becoming part of the night as he faded out of the sight of all who had seen him leave. He untied his horse, and leapt swiftly and gracefully onto the back of the great creature, and a last echo of hooves was heard outside the inn as he left.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:22 AM   #582
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Even on such a crisp winter morning, the bright sun of the Shire was enough to awaken the laziest and most tired of Hobbits. Biffo Proudfoot was neither lazy, nor in this particular case tired, having turned in early the previous night, shortly after the man with the wounded shoulder had been put to rest. Biffo had retired early to think and to sleep. [I]'Still, one out of two isn't bad, after all'[/I ]he thought to himself as he swung out of bed. Biffo had left the shades open, and could see a fine morning outside, though it was a little frosty on the ground.

After ducking his head into some cold water in one of the inn's modest bathrooms, the Hobbit managed to find a door leading outside to the privvies. On Biffo's return, he happened to spot the wounded man from last night, apparently recovered, standing on his own in a courtyard. Even more odd, the man had his sword drawn. His left arm was still in obvious discomfort, as he stood clenching and unclenching his fist. The man's breath was ragged in the early morning chill. Biffo decided that all things considered, it was time to rejoin the company in the common room.

As he walked back in to the common room, Biffo spotted several familiar faces as well as one or two new ones. Pio the able innkeeper and healer was by the fire, looking peaceful but hardly very rested. Cami, the Hobbit who had drafted Biffo into her Kitchen Army last night sat next to her, a little worse for wear.

"Good morning!" Biffo called to them as he walked past. In the corner next to an Elf maid was his second cousin (or was it third?), Belle. Even the prospects of yet another breakfast with his relatives could not daunt Biffo on this day, and he strolled over to take a seat next to the unlikely pair, taking off his hat and setting it nearby.

After introductions, Belle began to bring her kinshobbit up to speed on the goings on at the Inn. It certainly was a lively place. Biffo planned to take a walk around Bywater later in the morning, but thought that he would come back afterwards. After all, he was a free Hobbit, for a while.

Biffo politely waited for a lull in the conversation to bring up a topic rather pressing to his mind. When it was apparent that Belle didn't seem to allow for such lulls, he interrupted.

"Who do you suppose is in charge of breakfasts around here?"
Old 01-03-2003, 08:23 AM   #583
theWhiteLady
Wight

Silmaril

The room to which the brown-haired hobbit had led her had a large, springy bed that sunk down wonderfully when Laurie laid down. She did not even take the time to change from her soiled dress or turn the many quilts down to snuggle under; she only stretched out, gave one last yawn, and fell into a deep and dreamless sleep.

It was the chorus of birds singing enthusiastically outside Laurie's window that finally awoke her. She rolled over and had to think a moment about where she was, and all that had happened the night before. She had often traveled, but seldom had her travels been so busy with comings and goings of many strange people. It took quite a moment to sort it all out, but a rumbling stomach soon brought Laurie from her thoughts.

She changed quickly, slipping from her old dress to a new, clean one. It was white too, her favorite colour. And just as she was about to step over the threshhold, she noticed the prescence of a little envelope, most likely slipped under the door during the night. She wondered why in Middle-earth anyone would write to her, but as she read a large smile crept over her face and made her blue eyes sparkle.

Back down below, she saw the elf she had helped from the night before, a lady hobbit, and a male hobbit all sitting together. Near the fire, the hobbit who had collapsed (and whose name she had now learned to be Cami) and Pio were sitting in front of the hearth. Both had their eyes closed, perhaps they were sleeping, I had best not disturb them, thought Laurie. So she sat down in a chair nearby to wait, and in the meantime, she gazed around at the inn and the people within, quite curious now that weariness had left her.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:10 AM   #584
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A long time after he had left to fight, Barodir returned, much like he had the previous night, but he had a look of victory upon his rough, bearded face. In his right hand, he held a sack, not larger than one that would carry a few coins.

"I'm sorry for the mess outside. I have stained your courtyard with both my blood and that of my opponent. But he has been smote, and I took his lifeless body to the water and left it to drift."

He then held the bag up. "I only hope I can return these to the White city in time." Out of the bag, he took out 4 golden decorative rings, and a pendant made of silver. He laughed to himself saying his trials have been over something so small and he almost died for the little pieces of metal.

"My steed is fast, but it would still take a long time with the route I must take."

The others seemed to still be in awe that a man with an injured arm was able to defeat a well armed Elf.

He asked the loudly so everyone could hear "Is there any way I can get to Minas Tirith faster?"...
Old 01-03-2003, 09:40 AM   #585
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As the Inn came to life with the hustle and bustle of the morning, Cami awoke in her chair beside the hearth. She had apparently slept there all night, with a woolen blanket draped loosely over her knees, dozing off and on and dreaming of better days. As the rays from the sun streamed through the Inn's front windows, consciousness slowly returned, making Cami acutely aware of the throbbing pain that still shot up her right side. She straightened up and stretched, then shuffled over to the bar to pour herself a drink of water and gulp down her herbal remedies.

Piosenniel had also roused, and was attempting to scurry this way and that, answering the cries of many hobbits inquiring about first and second breakfast. Even with Elanor's help, and Rie and Nurumaiel pitching in last night, Piosenniel had been hard pressed to tend bar, do the cooking and serving, and still keep the bedrooms of the Inn neat and tidy. Nor were things much better this morning. Pio obviously needed help, which Cami unfortunately could not provide. A wave of frustration came over her...so much to do and too few hands to do it. What a dreadful time to pick to tumble down a stairwell.

But perhaps there was a way out of this mess. It was then that Cami saw the small hobbit, the one named Laurie, walking towards her and holding a letter in her hand.

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-03-2003, 09:48 AM   #586
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After having made a fool of himself on the dance floor, Durmán had stayed in the shadows, only watching the others come and go.

There had been much going on that night indeed, but at some point weariness had overcome him and he had fallen asleep. It was no wonder, since he had been travelling for many days without halting.

All of a sudden, in the middle of his dark dreams, he thought he heard a voice pronouncing the words "Dol Amroth".

And with that Durmán was suddenly wide awake. The prince of Dol Amroth...he was sure someone had said those words, but who?

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Schmendrick ]
Old 01-03-2003, 10:29 AM   #587
Merri
Wight

Sting

It seemed as if Elanor had barely laid her head down when she heard the bustle of morning in the inn. She opened her eyes a crack, and saw that there was bright sunlight streaming in through the windows. It can't be morning already, She thought, turning over in her warm, comfy, hobbit-sized bed.

But as she heard the sound of voices rising, she realized there was no denying it. With a sigh, she got up, dressed, made herself look neat, and went down the stairs tying on her apron.

"Miss Pio, is there anything you'd like me to do?" She asked, resisting the temptation to yawn and rub her eyes.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:03 AM   #588
theWhiteLady
Wight

Shield

Laurie watched, fascinated, as a man entered the inn, injured but triumphant. He pulled out a bag and the contents glittered as he poured them into his hand. He laughed, but then his brow furrowed in thought.

"Is there any way I can get to Minas Tirith faster?"... he said aloud.

Laurie thought of her own horse, Nell, in the stables outside. She was one of the best mares of Rohan, Laurie's homeland, and her pride and joy. Nell knew the way to Minas Tirith, and many short cuts, she had traveled there often. She was small but fleet of foot, and would be rested after spending the night in a proper stable for the first time in quite awhile. Still, Nell was Laurie's companion and one of her best friends; she decided to wait and see if anyone else came forward before approaching the man. Besides, who knew on what business he might be going to Minas Tirith...

So deep was she in thought, she had not even realized Pio was up and about and Cami had shuffled to the bar. She finally spotted the little hobbit and walked quickly over bearing the letter left in her room.

"Good morning, Cami," with this she made a small curtsy. "I found this note under my door this morning, saying you wished to speak to me about helping out for awhile in this inn?" Laurie felt eager and excited about the prospect of any job, however small, but she did not want to be too presumptous.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:08 PM   #589
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

She stood in the middle of the kitchen, skillet in hand, wondering how she was going to feed all those hungry customers thronging the Common Room. Pio's eyes were bleary from lack of sleep, and now they gazed toward the floor where the beaten eggs she had meant to pour into the pan lay congealing at her feet.

'Fires of Udun take you!' she muttered at the eggy mess, and knelt to clean it up with an old rag. 'Why couldn't Eru have made the other races more like the Elves.' she grumbled to herself. 'Had I been consulted there would have been a lot less emphasis on the belly and more on the brain!'

'Yes, Elanor!' she yelled out through the closed door, when she heard the Hobbit's question. 'Get in here, quick, and help me or every one will be having potluck for breakfast!' She wiped up the last of the spill, and stood rinsing the rag in the stone sink.

'And bring someone with you,' she bellowed again. 'We are going to need help this morning . . .'
Old 01-03-2003, 12:30 PM   #590
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Hearing Pio's cry to Elanor, Nuru turned to Rie. "I'm going to go help Pio in the kitchen," she said. "If you want to come along, feel free." Then she hurried into the kitchen, where it was obvious Pio had just cleaned up a mess.

Nuru approached Pio and smiled at her. "I was wondering, Pio," she said, "could I help you?"
Old 01-03-2003, 12:50 PM   #591
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio handed the skillet and an apron to Nuru, pointing as she did so to the large basket of eggs still remaining. 'Better luck with those than I had!' she said ruefully. 'Three large platters ought to do it for now.' She handed her another large skillet and a long string of sausages. 'And while you're at it, better get these going. Hobbits will be asking for them.'

Pio took out five large loaves of bread she had done in the wee hours of the day, and plied her knife on them like a field surgeon among the injured troops - quick and efficient but a little irregular about the edges.

She strode to the door of the kitchen, and sent out another call. 'If you will be wanting any toast this morning, some of you better get in here and ply the toasting forks!'

Sluicing the crumbs from her hands under a thin stream of cold water in the sink, she moved on to her next victims - the cheeses . . .
Old 01-03-2003, 12:59 PM   #592
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Grinning, Nuru set to work, cracking the eggs and frying the sausages. She was eager to help, having nothing better to do, and since Pio needed help, it seemed to be working quite well.

Nuru wasn't exactly wonderful at cooking, being an elf and living in Rivendell, but on her recent visits to Rohan and the Shire, she'd been required to help and had some skills. Fortunately Pio had put her in charge of the eggs and sausages, for she was pretty handy at cooking them.

"Er... how do you want these eggs done, Pio?" asked Nuru without turning around.

"Any way you can think of," replied Pio. "Our guests won't be able to agree on just one style of egg."

Our guests, thought Nuru with a smile. I suppose while you're helping out for awhile, you're considered a staff member for that time. Or at least a hired hand.

Wondering who else would come -or be dragged- into the kitchen, Nuru started on the first dozen eggs.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:01 PM   #593
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Seeing Pio's jagged nerves and ill temper, Cami knew that a lot of help would be needed very quickly. She turned to speak with Laurie.

"We certainly could use some assistance. It looks like Pio's found Nuru and Rie to help in the kitchens and the serving room, but there's still all the beds to be done, the chambers dusted, and the pathway to the Inn to be shoveled out from the snow. We'd be much obliged if you could help. You'd have a place to sleep, shelter for your pony, food for you both, and the tips the guests would leave you. And if Mistress Pio gets her temper back, she might even throw in a coin or two."

"If you'd like, here is a shovel to dig out the snow, and over there mops and cleaning rags and a bucket that you can fill with water from the well out back. And if you have experience mucking out stables or currying and feeding horses, that would be even better."
Old 01-03-2003, 01:39 PM   #594
theWhiteLady
Wight

Silmaril

Laurie could hear the noise from inside the kitchen growing louder. She grinned when Cami mentioned cleaning the stable.

"I'll get right to work, thank you so much. I can easily take care of the stable; taking care of horses is just part of life where I come from."

Glad to be of use, Laurie wrung the little hobbit's hand happily and then grabbed a shovel to dig out the pathway. She walked quickly out of the inn and began shoveling enthusiastically, humming a bit as she worked and going over the list of chores in her mind.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:37 PM   #595
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rie took an apron and tied on with quick fingers, being quite used to aprons herself. In fact, the whole atmosphere seemed quite familiar--with the frustrated Pio being her often-overwhelmed mother. She went up to Nuru and, without a word, began to help her with the eggs.

More comfortable with this task than nearly any she had undertaken since she had run away, Rie set about cracking the eggs with deft flicks of her wrist. "Can you tell I've done this before?" she asked Nuru.

Nuru laughed. "Oh, maybe once or twice. I don't know...it looks to me like you could still use some practice."

Rie grinned at her. "Five hungry brothers who can't crack an egg without either spilling it all over the floor or stabbing themselves with a piece of shell makes for an egg-adept young woman," she said.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:30 PM   #596
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor sprang into action, grabbing rags and soap. "Tom!" She shouted, at her new friend. "Didn't you hear Miss Pio? Get into the kitchen and help her! I'll be there in a half a second." And soon the two hobbits were on their knees beside the inn keeper, scrubbing away.

The smell of a breakfast in the making made Elanor even hungrier than she might have been before, and the stew she had had last night seemed ages ago. But a hungry and tired hobbit does not make for good company, and Elanor knew that as soon as anyone spoke to her, she'd probably say something she'd regret for a long time, so she kept quiet, trying not to think about the food so close and yet out of reach to her at the moment, and concentrating on cleaning the mess up in the kitchen.

Why, oh why did I ever leave my comfy hole? A voice wailed in the back of her mind. But another voice answered right away: To help your cousin, you silly halfling, and work is good for you. You could do without a meal or two, Elanor Greenthumb.

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-03-2003, 07:47 PM   #597
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

"Who do you suppose is in charge of breakfast around here?" asked Biffo.
He had just joined the table, being one of Belle's cousins.
"I had a feeling that Pio was running this place, maybe she could help you?" replied Beruthiel, trying to sound like she knew what she was talking about.
"Yes maybe, I'll get some drinks and find out, what would you like?"
"Just some tea thanks."
"Me too."

Biffo walked off towards Pio to get the drinks while Belle and Beruthiel sat and the table still. Belle had said something eariler about how she had changed her mind about things happening around here. After that Belle had seemed a little tense.
"I see that you aren't really used to us elven-folk." said Beruthiel grinning a little.
"Oh, well no I guess not. There aren't usually quite as many of you people in here." replied Belle, smiling nervously.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:58 PM   #598
theWhiteLady
Wight

Shield

Laurie breathed in deeply, tasting the deliciously crisp air. Though snow was not common in Rohan, she had always loved to play in it as a small girl. It always seemed to made everything so clean and pure, as though all the world had been wiped clean of dirt and grime and had started afresh.

Laurie laid aside her shovel and stretched out her muscles. Snow was pretty, but it was also tiring to shovel. Delicious smells of breakfast were leaking through a window, tantalizingly out of reach. I hope it will be ready soon! Laurie's mouth began to water.

But for now, there were chores still to be done. She strode over the snow-free path and entered the stable. After greeting Nell and giving her a little sugar cube, Laurie mucked out the stalls and filled the water buckets. It was when she climbed to the loft to push a few bales of hay down that she saw a man right on top of a particuraly large bale. This must be a customer... or at least, I certainly hope he is a customer!
Laurie wondered whether or not to disturb him, he was sleeping very peacefully. But mayhap he was not supposed to be here, and if he was a customer, he would be wanting some breakfast. Laurie made up her mind to try to rouse him. She kneeled down and touched him lightly on the shoulder.

"Ex... Excuse me, sir. I don't mean to bother you, but breakfast will be served soon, and I thought you might want to know."
Old 01-03-2003, 08:06 PM   #599
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

With Rie helping her, Nuru had soon finished the first platter of eggs. "Do you want me to go serve some breakfast?" asked Nuru, and Pio nodded.

Rie was still working on cooking, so Nuru began filling the plates with eggs and sausages, hurrying out into the common room. When she saw how many hungry eyes looked towards her when she came in, she sighed, and wondered if they would have enough food for breakfast, dinner, and supper, let alone all the meals the hobbits liked.

A smiling suddenly appearing on her face, Nuru cried, "All right, who wants some breakfast?"
Old 01-03-2003, 10:25 PM   #600
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

No one had answered her call to make toast. An old campaigner, from wars now long forgotten, Pio walked out into the Common Room and and looked for likely volunteers. There sat the two Hobbits - Biffo and his erstwhile cousin, Belle.

'Come, you two.' she said firmly to them, hooking her arms through theirs as she picked them up from their seats. 'I know Hobbbits are well versed in making toast, and I need your assistance."

She handed each of them two toasting forks and the platter of fresh cut bread. 'Toast this up, if you will, then arrange it nicely on these two trays.' She picked up a tray filled with jam pots, honey jars, and saucers of fresh, sweet butter.

'I'm going out to put these on the tables, and when you're done you can pass the trays of toast around, along with the cheese in case anyone desires it.'

She leaned over and whispered to Beruthiel as she sat the jam, honey, and butter at her table. 'If it's not too juch trouble, Elf. Pass out the cups to people then bring out the pots of tea and coffee for them and make the rounds.' Pio eyed her closely. 'Sleep has done you well, Beruthiel. Grab an apron in the kitchen then, and hop to it!'

'Just like Pio to organize things.' thought Cami as she relaxed in her chair, the twinge in her ribs down to a dull, persistent ach for the moment. She chuckled to herself. 'Good thing they aren't facing the enemy with her - she can be ruthless in her orders . . . and relentless.'

The Hobbit raised her nose to sniff the smells of a substantial Shire breakfast. Mouth watering at the enticing scents, she tied a napkin about her neck and waited.

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]