The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-26-2002, 02:26 PM   #1
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting How to pronounce "Smeagol"

Someone in some other thread (sorry for the vagueness, I honestly can't remeber who it was and where) said that Smeagol's name was wrongly pronounced in TTT. (Kinda like "Smeegol") So, all you lingusts out there: is that really the case? <BR>I had thought that the vowels "ea" would sound more like the "ei" in the beginning of the word "veichle". But that has no grounds at all, and is probably just based on the pronunciation of my mother tongue (or the lack of it actually!)<P>Oh, and Estelyn: I wasn't sure where to post this, so I just made a new thread and dumped it her. Sorry. <p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Nenya ]
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 02:51 PM   #2
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Well, Sméagol is I think wone of JRRT's Old English dirivatives. So, I'll leave it to the linguists.<P>The Film-makers were very much concerned about the same thing.<P>Also, the way it is spelled in the book there is always an accent acute over the "e" or maybe its on the "a" -- Smeágol.<P>In any case, this I think is supposed to create a dipthong or lilting vowell effect that combines very quickly the sounds of both a long e and long a, which may have been how they were saying in the Film.
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.
Man-of-the-Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 05:06 PM   #3
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I usually call him See gol but I could see that it could also be called Smeh (canadian eh) gol.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:24 PM   #4
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Also, the way it is spelled in the book there is always an accent acute over the "e" or maybe its on the "a" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The accent is over the "e", so I think it's supposed to be 'Smay'-gol, or maybe even Smay-ah-gol. Oh dear, I'm confusing myself now...
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 05:44 PM   #5
Nenya
Wight

Sting

Does that "é" have anything to do with frech l'accent aigu? Wich would mean that the letter should be pronunced as the e in the word "when",for example, if I remeber right. As a sort of "pure" e.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:49 PM   #6
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Doesn't "é" make an "ay" sound in French? Think: <I>Touché!</I> or <I>Olé!</I> <p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Old 12-26-2002, 06:10 PM   #7
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

I always thought it was "smEE-a-gol". Poor me, I guess....
Old 12-26-2002, 06:25 PM   #8
Nenya
Wight

Sting

Galadrie1:<BR>Like in the word "play"? If you mean that, then no, it doesn't sound like that. In fact that is the mistake most english-speakers do, when trying to pronounce french. (Or you could be meaning just the right thing, and I just haven't got a clue of what you are talking about.)<p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Nenya ]
Old 12-26-2002, 06:30 PM   #9
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Like in the word "play"? If you mean that, then no, it doesn't sound like that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh. Alright... Well, if that's true it just means that people have been teaching me incorrectly for the past five years (actually, that's entirely possible. My last French teacher wasn't too great. Though my current teacher is very good (and actually French!) and I think it's the "ay" sound. Now, all you need to do is tell me you live in France and you're first language is French and that I'm completely wrong about everything ).<p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]
Old 12-26-2002, 06:55 PM   #10
Nenya
Wight

Sting

I wish it was...! No, I'm one of those brutal Finns from up north. <BR>Still, I'm pretty sure about this. Even though it seems a <I>bit</I> unlikely that I would know better than your french teacher...Do you really end "Touché" with the "ay" phonem?! I'm telling you, there shouldn't be that "y" in there. What about the word "été" (summer, isn't it?), don't tell me you pronounce it like "etay"? <BR>(my, I'm getting agressive here. sorry about that, it's just that it's 3am in here, so I'm a bit tired...)
Old 12-26-2002, 07:00 PM   #11
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

OK, when I write "ay", are you thinking more like "aiee" kind of? Like, someone with a South Carolina drawl? Because that's not what I mean. It's more like a <I>gentle</I> "ay" sound.... I can't really explain this. Um, it's like "ai", not "aiee". E.g.: "été" isn't prounouced "aytay", but "aitai"....<BR>OK, I give up. I can't explain. It sounds right in my head, but it can't be written down.<P>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]<p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]
Old 12-26-2002, 07:15 PM   #12
Nenya
Wight

Sting

Yeah, I probably know what you mean. But I still think there shouldn't be any of that...umm...damn, I give up. As you said, it can't be written down. Bring your teacher along to the Downs, and THEN we'll hav a new conversation... Ah well, we're probably just misunderstanding each other.<BR>Now goodnight to you! (whatever the time may be there)
Old 12-26-2002, 07:33 PM   #13
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I would've guessed smee-ah-GOL, too. But considering how perfect every word sounds in the movies (like Mean-Arse Morrrgul), I'd say that I was wrong, and not the movies. They seem to have put a LOT of time into the languages; they hired several dialogue coaches for the actors. I think it's one of the things the movies brought across perfectly. Shame not to hear more of Gimli's dwarvish, especially his battle-cry at Helm's Deep.<P>"A fair jaw-cracker Dwarf language must be!"
Old 12-26-2002, 11:39 PM   #14
hipsuperstar

Pipe

i always thought it wa&#65 363; smeegul
Old 12-26-2002, 11:48 PM   #15
hipsuperstar

Sting

i was just reading the silmarillion and it said theat EA does not run together it is acctually two syllables, like in Earendil, but it might not apply to non-quenya/sindarin names like smeagol
Old 12-27-2002, 03:30 AM   #16
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was also thinking about this after seeing the film. I think (but don't know) that it should be pronounced "Sme-ah-gol" .<BR>With the accent on "e" (Sméagol), it should be quite clear that the "e" should be pronounced!<BR>(I've studied some linguistics, but don't remember much...)
Old 12-27-2002, 03:35 AM   #17
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

p.s. about the french pronunciation- I agree with you Nenya! And I've studied french at the University for years and have also lived in France!
Old 12-27-2002, 10:46 AM   #18
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Alright, after a night of thinking, I realize that I was actually trying to get across the same point as Nenya. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> the letter should be pronunced as the e in the word "when",for example, if I remeber right. As a sort of "pure" e. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, I just didn't understand it when I first read it. Sorry about the confusion.<P>I think what I had been trying to say was: It's like an "ay" sound, only "toned down" (I think ).<p>[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]
Old 12-27-2002, 12:04 PM   #19
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Sharkû usually rings in with this, but since he is busy, I'll make a note. Read Appendix E of LOTR, on Writing and Spelling and Pronunciation of Names.<P>Bethberry
Old 12-27-2002, 10:22 PM   #20
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not fair, I don't check out Movies as often and closely as other fora.<P>At least I still get to link to <A HREF="http://www.kami.demon.co.uk/gesithas/OEsteps/pronounc.html" TARGET=_blank>my beloved Old English pronunciation site</A>. <BR>In short:<BR><I>é</I> as in <I>bade</I> <BR><I>ea</I> begins with the sound of e and glides towards the back of the mouth, giving a sound not unlike that in<I>bared, Baird</I>; <I>éa</I> is similar but beginning with the vowel <I>é</I>.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote