The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2002, 12:18 PM   #1
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting Eowyn or Arwen?

Who do you think would be better for Aragorn? Eowyn or Arwen?
Old 12-27-2002, 12:26 PM   #2
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I say Arwen simply because I am a <B>BIG</B> fan of their story...
Old 12-27-2002, 12:26 PM   #3
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Arwen, most definitely. Although I do "feel a great swell of pity" for Eowyn. Arwen and Aragorn were meant for each other, classic Beren and Luthien. Besides, Eowyn hooked up with Faramir, which made me happy since I loved them both. Faramir was just what Eowyn needed. Remember from the books? Eowyn didn't really love Aragorn, she just thought she did. What she really wanted was someone noble and kingly to keep her away from all the evil and bad rabble (I can't find the exact quote) in the world. Besides, we wouldn't want Faramir to be lonely, no would we?
Old 12-27-2002, 12:49 PM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Arwen is better for Aragorn<P>And besides Eowyn is going to be fine, but they better make Faramir a nicer person, because then I will feel very sorry for her.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:29 PM   #5
PippinSqueak
Pile O'Bones

PippinSqueak has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

EOWYN EOWYN EOWYN!!! Arwen's role goes like this: kiss Aragorn, pine for Aragorn, dream about Aragorn, and cry over Aragorn. I'm all for love stories..but Eowyn is way more noble than Arwen, elf or no. She kicks butt, defeats the Witch King and actually HELPS Frodo on his journey. So i say, who needs beauty(Arwen) when you've got brains(Eowyn)? Conclusion: Eowyn is way better than <I>Arwen</I> ::holds nose in disgust::
Old 12-27-2002, 07:36 PM   #6
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Argh, I couldn't say. The fact that both Eowyn and Aragorn are mortal would be good, but Arwen and Aragorn are mean't for eachother! So its kind of iffy with me. But if I just HAD to choose, I suppose Aragorn and Arwen would be better. After all Eowyn does marry Faramir.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 08:57 PM   #7
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Pippinsqueak! How can you say such a thing! It seems like you're basing all your arguments on the movies. And Arwen gave Frodo her pendant, giving him her place on the ship to Valinor. You're telling me that's not helping him on the quest? There is still aftermath...
Old 12-28-2002, 01:57 PM   #8
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

ARWEN MOST DENFINITLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm with The Mortal Elf, Arathiriel and Gorwingel!!!
Old 12-28-2002, 08:56 PM   #9
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

Arwen is cooler than Eowyn.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:17 PM   #10
Alex Chamois
Animated Skeleton

Alex Chamois has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd agree with the idea that Arwen is some sort of epitome of femenine beauty and grace, while Eowyn is a bolder woman of action. That's not from the films - which, as you recall, depicted Arwen with a sword.<P>If your question had been which is better for Arwen, I would have to match Aragorn and Eowyn, but as far as Aragorn is concerned, Arwen is the better choice. The "blood of Numenor" and King of Gondor deserves no less than an immortal, especially one prepared to make such sacrifices for him. Can you picture Eowyn making the kind of compromises that Arwen did?
Alex Chamois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:22 AM   #11
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

"No Regrets" is my policy. I think Arwen would be better for Aragorn, firstly because he loves her, and secondly because he would regret not having chosen the Elf-Princess, as she would leave Middle-Earth and always be a memory of what could have been. I don't think he'd ever regret taking Arwen over Eowyn, especially since Eowyn ends up happy with his buddy Faramir.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:07 AM   #12
ambi
Pile O'Bones

ambi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> EOWYN EOWYN EOWYN!!! Arwen's role goes like this: kiss Aragorn, pine for Aragorn, dream about Aragorn, and cry over Aragorn. I'm all for love stories..but Eowyn is way more noble than Arwen, elf or no. She kicks butt, defeats the Witch King and actually HELPS Frodo on his journey. So i say, who needs beauty(Arwen) when you've got brains(Eowyn)? Conclusion: Eowyn is way better than Arwen ::holds nose in disgust:: <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Ha ha ha How about forsaking immortality in the undying lands for grief and death?
Old 01-02-2003, 09:03 AM   #13
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Frieda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frieda
Sting

Honestly Eowyn is my favorite female character in Lord of the Rings....but I do think Arwen is better for Aragorn than her.
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 09:20 AM   #14
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

I prefer Arwen, probably because she has a strong and beautiful side, and Eowyn just has her strong side,( not that she dosn't have a beautiful side we just havnt seen it yet), yes so I prefer Arwen.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:17 PM   #15
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Artalwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Artalwen
Sting

I say Arwen also....people may look at a comparision of Arwen and Eowyn, thinking Arwen could resemble an ethereal love, since she is elven, and Eowyn is something real he can love....but Arwen just seems like a better choice.
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun."
-verse from a song found in 'The Hobbit'-
Artalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:35 PM   #16
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> they better make Faramir a nicer person, because then I will feel very sorry for her.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They did at the end of TTT, so now it will be all happy at the end of RotK
Old 01-02-2003, 05:40 PM   #17
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well OF COURSE Arwen. Aragorn is not a normal human, he shoudn´t get a human, normal wife. Of course, Eowyn isn´t normal. But she´s the kind of person you can identify with. <BR>We all have been dreaming of a life we can´t have because of something that isn´t even our fault. We all have broken rules to do what we really wanted. That makes Eowyn someone who isn´t all that strange and unknown to you. <BR>And Faramir is the same. We all have wanted our parent´s love and affection. We all have sufferd if they let us know they loved another more. Eowyns and Faramirs feelings aren´t comletely new to us, that´s what makes us close to them.<P>And then there´s Aragorn. Do you know how a hero feels? And if you do, have you ever felt so? Always shining, savind-the-day-ish? And how about Arwen? Have you given up immortality for your love? Do you know how it feels to do so? I´m sure some of us have lost something essential to the them for the one they love, but it´s not something that happens all the time. And anyway, how does it feel to be elven??<BR>I think you get my point.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:04 PM   #18
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's been suggested before that Éowyn loves Aragorn for what he can give her, not necessarily for who he is. Arwen loves him for who he is, totally, and without reservation. She's willing to give up her immortality for this man, so she must love him completely. I think as well that Éowyn and Faramir are perfect for each other. Their personalities were both outside the accepted norm--Faramir was more thoughtful and reserved, and less of a warrior than was expected of him, and the opposite was true for Éowyn. Matches made in heaven...::sighs romantically::<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 01-02-2003, 07:21 PM   #19
Lady Of Light
Animated Skeleton

Lady Of Light has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Lady Of Light Send a message via AIM to Lady Of Light
Sting

I am totally conflicted over this.... Arwen is a bit of a nothing in the books. She just loves Aragorn, and even in the apendices it dosn't really tell why. I write fantasy, and I just can't buy the botched love story where there is little to no background. I don't believe Eowyn is right either. Though I think she is REALLY neat and brave, I just think that faramir would be better for her. She loves adventure and honor, and if she married Aragorn she wouldn't be able to "get out of the house" as the queen. I think that she ended up perfectly with Faramir, though I do feel sorry that her heart was broken over Aragorn. Final verdict- I think Aragorn shouldn't have married, but I can live with Arwen.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:06 AM   #20
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yeah, but if he wouldn´t have married, what would have become out of the House of Isildur. He was the last of the house, he needed an heir to continue the line.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:09 PM   #21
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OOOOH! Here is my kinda topic! Eowyn is the best female character, and I think Aragorn and her are just a match made in heaven!
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 06:27 PM   #22
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

No freakin´ way. Even if Arwen had sailed to the undieing lands, Aragorn lost his heart to her. There was no way some human could come along and get it back,<BR>Don´t get me wrong. I adore Eowyn. She ,next to Sam, is the one that deserved a happy-Ending badly. That´s why I wouldn´t want her to marry Aragorn. Don´t you see? He´s been loving am <B>elven maiden</B> for almost his whole life. And not any old elf, a direct descendant of Luthien and almost as pretty. Do you think a shieldmaiden could have pleased him? I´m sorry to say, but I think not. Aragorn would have let her feel every single day that she <I>isn´t Arwen</I>. He would have tortured her, even if he didn´t mean to. <P>If you like discussing this, dunedain_aragorn, be sure to visit the "Matchmaker" thread in the Books. See you there!
Old 01-03-2003, 07:16 PM   #23
Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Pile O'Bones

Kirsanne_Tolebrass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Silmaril

I think Aragorn should have gone with Eowyn, but that's just my thought, and me best friend's.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:48 PM   #24
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Lady of Light about the books... but I can't really decide. Using both the books and the movies as references, I'll state my indecision:<P>Arwen is Aragorn's driving force. She loves him completely and without reservation, and is willing to give up her immortality, her father, and her people just to be with Aragorn.<P>Eowyn is a fighter. She's down-to-earth, smart, courageous... she <I>does</I> stuff, whereas Arwen sits around looking pretty (in the books, mind you). Plus she gets more screen and page time with Aragorn, whereas Arwen has a paragraph devoted to her in FotR('whoop-dee-do'). I also agree with Manardariel in that Eowyn would always feel like she was battling Arwen's memory.<P>See my plight? How could I ever decide for poor Aragorn?
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:07 PM   #25
Frwek
Pile O'Bones

Frwek has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frwek Send a message via AIM to Frwek
Silmaril

definatly Arwen....she's right for Aragorn...
Frwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:57 PM   #26
MallornLeaf
Haunting Spirit

MallornLeaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MallornLeaf
Silmaril

Beside the fact that Arwen is better for Aragorn in every way, shouldn't we trust the creator of Middle Earth? I think we shouldn't debate Tolkien's decisions concerning the characters he created.<P>If you think otherwise, go ahead and write your own book!

"I pass the test, I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."
MallornLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 10:18 AM   #27
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hey hey, i only like this topic b/c my friend and i have been fighting about it for a loooong time. plus, if aragorn loves arwen, i m saying if aragorn never met arwen, he would love eowyn. i m all for arwen, i just kinda like eowyn better.
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 10:38 AM   #28
Rosegirl8745

Sting

I definitely think that Aragorn should stay with Arwen. After all, Arwen gave up her immortality for him! It would be selfish and un-caring of Aragorn if he merely forgot about Arwen's love for him and rode off with Eowyn...<BR>I do want Eowyn to find love and happiness, and she does; I just hope that the movie tells that whole story.<BR>Sorry if I spoiled anything for anyone who hasn't read the books
Old 01-04-2003, 11:52 AM   #29
Haldir
Animated Skeleton

Haldir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Haldir
Sting

I think Eowyn would make a better choise for<BR>Aragorn (or anybody) because of the following<BR>reasons:<P>1) Eowyn is human, just like Aragorn, Arwen<BR>is an Elf, she needs to be immortal, she needs<BR>to go to Valinor (un-dying lands) with the<BR>rest of the Elves.<P>2) Eowyn is close to the king of Rohan, than<BR>Aragorn can take over Rohan or merge it with<BR>Gondor after the wedding, that makes much more<BR>sense than to merge it with Rivendell, what<BR>sane Elf would serve a human king ?<P>3) Eowyn is just much hotter than Arwen, at<BR>least I think that Miranda is hotter than Liv.
Haldir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 03:17 PM   #30
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Ok, Haldir those are all good points, but not reasons. <BR>1) Who said Arwen <I>needs</I> to got to Valinor. What she "needs" what she wants is in Middle- Earth: Love, Aragorn, their future. I think,even if Arwen would have gone to Valinor, she wouldn´t have forgotten Aragorn, nor would she have been happy there. Amd we´ve seen it before that Human/Elf can Work.... Luthien/Beren, Idril/Tuor were all happy with what they chose.<P>2)Um, well, if he would take over Rohan, he´d be in DEEP TROBLE. He couldn´t have done that. Look, Rohan was a gift, you can´t just take it back. Besides, he wouldn´t have survived the War of the Ring without Rohan- Eomer, Theoden etc. It´s not exactly nice to "reward" the dudes tht help you get your thrown by taking their country away, is it?<P>3) WAY NOT!!
Old 01-04-2003, 04:50 PM   #31
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Silmaril

I think that Eowyn would be better BUT I don't think Aragorn deserves her if he can't see that she's so much cooler than Arwen.
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 05:58 PM   #32
ruby_gardener

Tolkien

I say Arwen! I dont think that Aragorn needs a wild horse lady to drive him crazy. I think Arwen is his rock. He needs someone in his life that is stable and Arwen being an Elf and never changing works.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:27 PM   #33
JRRTolkienWasAGenius

Sting

I like Eowyn way better than Arwen, and if Aragorn married Eowyn the story would have a happier ending (at least for Elrond). However, Aragorn being the nearly elven human he is, it does work out better for him to marry Arwen. Besides, Eowyn and Faramir are such a perfect fit (although I am talking about the book Faramir, not the slightly distorted TTT version)
Old 01-05-2003, 04:07 PM   #34
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Eowyn.<P>Don't get me wrong, I like Arwen plenty, but I just think she's a little too 'museish' for Aragorn, if you see what I mean. Eowyn seems a lot more earthy, and a lot more like Aragorn's type than Arwen . . . Arwen's just too . . . well, airy, too ethereal. I'd prefer seeing him get together with Eowyn.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:29 PM   #35
Arwen the Evenstar

Sting

Aragorn loves Arwen, so regardless of who we think based on character and whatnot, who he loves is who is best for him. And that's Arwen. Perhaps he's attracted to her frailness. She nurtures the softer side of her. Eowyn is bold. Whatever the reason, he loves Arwen. End of story.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:30 PM   #36
Arwen the Evenstar

Sting

Plus I look a lot like her! lol
Old 01-07-2003, 07:31 PM   #37
Aerin

Sting

I think i am content in the way that the book ended because, well as we all know Tolkien knows best (almost always). I myself am a huge Eowyn fan because, I'm not really so thrilled about Arwen getting everywhere on her looks, luck for being of royal elvish lineage, even tho she would give up her immortality for him. I do realize she is a respectable figure but just not for things that count to me. Of course its things that count in Aragorn's book that matter. <BR>I mean seriously, in the book there was just about nothing with her in it and i dislike how they portrayed her in the movies as a warrior as well as an elven maiden, just seems to take more away from Eowyn.<BR>I do also figure that it is important that it shows how dreams and perfect love situations dont always come true. There just would be less of a realistic feel about it all if Eowyn ended up with Aragorn. And it goes to show that we need to find our equals when it comes to love. Just as Aragorn and Arwen are of long royal lineage and can relate in that aspect, Eowyn and Faramir seem to be able to connect... Eowyn is somewhat pitied by aragorn and rejected as compared to arwen... Famamir is the younger brother to the heir, boromir, who is favored over him and he is downcast because of his love for 'wizards and such'... and well he appreciates eowyn for who she is. If aragorn cant see how great of a person she is, she deserves better.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:45 PM   #38
Minyaharmawen
Pile O'Bones

Minyaharmawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Minyaharmawen
Shield

I'm so sorry but If i was aragorn I would totaly go with Eowyn. EOWYN is so much better. also based on the movie i think Liv looks like a rabit...so that may not help my thinking . But aside from that It's not like we can change anything tolkine is a genius and thats how he wrote it and face it...you can't change the past.<BR>----------------------<BR>It isn't becomming to fish for complements ~Alanna <BR>~MINY
Old 01-07-2003, 08:24 PM   #39
Ainahithiel of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Ainahithiel of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

okay, since the movies and the books are ENTIRELY Different, I made two different answers:<P>book: Arwen. It just fits more don't you think? Aragorn's a roamer,(who's also rather old) and he's all kingly. Arwen's this stay at home, PRINCESS. The're perfect. Opposites attrack anyway. And if this makes no sense, I'm sorry. it's been a very long day<P>Movie: Eowyn. I'm sorry so so sorry. But... Arwen's such a wimpy character. OH!!! I have a sword! Oh I'm liv tyler and since I have a three movie contract, we'll just add this little bit with me leaving Middle Earth, just to confuse everyone. At least Eowyn is SOMETHING like the book. but also, Eowyn seems more....Viggo Mortensen material...<P>So SOrry<P>School is Mordor.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:57 PM   #40
Angel of the earth

Tolkien

I would have to say Arwen, because i think they are meant to be together. But the movie is so misleading! (about her!)<BR> But in the movie i think Eowyn seems to be more Aragorn's type, but i don't have a reason for that! null