The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2001, 01:22 PM   #1
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Samuri "elf" warriors?

<BR>I have a question! First, I must ask for forgiveness because I was visiting another Tolkien site! Sorry BW! Anyway, on that site I was reviewing a frame-by-frame analysis of the movie trailer. There is one scene depicting Aragorn in a battle scene. The analizer(sp?) is assuming this scene is of Helms Deep and mentions that Aragorn is 'backed-up' by some Elf warriors. He/she assumes they are elves because they are wearing samuri-like battle gear, which is what elf warriors were wearing during the filming (so the movie spies reported). My question is this: Were elves a part of the battle at Helms Deep, other than Legolas? Maybe Elrohir &amp; Elladan were there too, can't remember right now. And, aside from the Helms Deep scene, were there elves partaking in battle anywhere in LotR? I don't remember any host arriving from Lorien or Rivendell to save the day. Afterall, LotR took place during the 'waining of elves, Age of Men'. Perhaps I'm just not remembering correctly, or this is one of the differences between the books and the movies. Any thoughts? <p>-amyrlis</p>
Old 01-31-2001, 01:51 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ring

<BR><br><br> In the book we're told there <i> was</i> fighting in Lórien and in Thranduil's realm in northern Mirkwood. However Legolas was the only Elf involved in the battle at Helm's Deep. Elladan and Elrohir did not arrive in Rohan until later. I haven't seen the trailer,and have no idea if the Samurai-like warriors were Elves,or if they were at Helm's Deep. But if they were,could be more senseless rearranging of the story. On second thought,it would be better if I didn't get going on that. &lt;sigh&gt; <p>Manwë keep you under the One, and send fair wind to your sails. </p>
Old 01-31-2001, 09:20 PM   #3
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dűm

the Lorien wanderer has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Legolas was the only elf at the battle at Helm's Deep.<br> I don't want to get started either. <p>Not all those who wander are lost.</p>
the Lorien wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 01:04 AM   #4
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Samuri gear? Rather outlandish for Men or elves to be wearing at the Battle of the Hornburg. Most likely Elves, I s'pose. Well, I'm not going to get started either. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. <p>Gwaihir the Windlord <I><A href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">the barrow-downs</A></I><BR> 'Sing now, ye people of the Tower of Anor,<BR> for the Realm of Sauron is ended for ever,<BR> and the Dark Tower is thrown down.'<BR></p>
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 01:08 AM   #5
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> That post was a clear statement of how weary I am getting of all these stuff-ups and sci-fi addins. 'We'll just have to wait and see.' Ho hum. <p>Gwaihir the Windlord <I><A href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">the barrow-downs</A></I><BR> 'Sing now, ye people of the Tower of Anor,<BR> for the Realm of Sauron is ended for ever,<BR> and the Dark Tower is thrown down.'<BR></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000022>Gwaihir the Windlord</A>&nbsp; at: 2/1/01 2:11:09 am<br></i>
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 01:28 AM   #6
enep
The Ghastly Leprechaun

enep has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR>Bit of Controversy </b><br><br> Actually, I always imagined Elves as Samurai. In white. With pointy ears They are the elite fighting force, if you know what I mean; nimble, hardy, strong, clever. Balrogs, however, are of course superior (but they won't have wings in the movie *sigh* ) <p>- <i>enep</i></p>
Old 11-06-2002, 02:22 PM   #7
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
In the book Legolas is the only elf entering the battle (but I guess you already know that. But to answer the other question: There are quite a lot of elves battleling at the foot of mount doom when they picture the fight of sauron Vs. the last elves and humans. Correct me if i'm mistaken but I saw a lot of elve's back then.
________
VAPORIZER AFFILIATE

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:51 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 04:01 PM   #8
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The samuri blokes are easterlings!!<p>[ November 06, 2002: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 11-06-2002, 07:31 PM   #9
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dűm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the book, Legolas is the only elf at Helms Deep, but I read somewhere that in the movie Arwen brings some elves from either Lothlorien or Rivendell to help Aragorn and the others at Helms Deep.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:38 PM   #10
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

JRR must be writhing in his grave, but Haldir and Arwen lead a contingent of Elves to the Battle of Helm's Deep.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:22 PM   #11
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Hi everyone,<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The samuri blokes are easterlings!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Don't think so. Why else would they be led by ELrond? No I thing they are Elf's.<P>Greetings,<P>Anuion
________
SH150i

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote