The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2002, 11:55 AM   #1
Earendil evening star
Animated Skeleton

Earendil evening star has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril BIG problem in TTT!!!

Ok does any one else find a problem with this line<P>Frodo: "...and two men, Aragorn son of Arathorn and Boromir of Gondor"<P>problem???<BR>definately!!<BR>Faramir didn't even blink when Frodo mentioned a man that could change his heritage, the future of his country, rob him of his rulership and that he never even knew existed!!!!<BR>why?????<BR>I can't understand why PJ made Frodo tell Faramir about Aragorn, i mean he makes a big point of not doing it in the book and Gandalf also tells Pippin not to tell Faramir's father. <BR>Does anyone else agree that this is a bit of a problem??<P>from elise xxx<P>ps The movie was absolutely stunning wasn't it!!!! I swear i don';t think i blinked for 3 hours!!!!
Old 12-27-2002, 12:00 PM   #2
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Yet another mistake, but maybe it was intentional. The non-readers wouldn't have understood why the name had to be kept a secret so if he had said, "two men, Boromir of Gondor and...a friend of Gandalf's" or something like that, they would've gotten all upset. It would be confusing and it's too small to explain to a bunch of people who don't really care anyway. We know, so we can just laugh behind our hands at the non-readers' strange behaviors...
Old 12-27-2002, 12:57 PM   #3
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

It doesn't seem to matter too much, though Denethor would realize Aragorn's background, I don't believe Faramir is a learned or (obviously) as old and wise as his father, and of course, he doesn't carry a Palantir around with him. A name is a name, and without a person attatched to it, I don't think that "Aragorn" would be all that important to Faramir.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:51 AM   #4
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<B>SO TRUE!!</B><P>In the first movie PJ takes licence and makes Aragorn's heritage widely known, from Mirkwood to Minas Tirith. Boromir only needs a mention of his name, and knows exactly what is going on. You'd assume that Faramir should know the same. It's possible that he was able to keep his surprise in check better than Boromir, or that we will see his reaction in the extended version (PJ's "whoops the fans hate me" version), but I think it's most likely that you've uncovered a real oversight. I am continually amazed at how the movies can over-complicate the plot, and over-simplify the characters and the themes. It's like Peter Jackson is some weird kind of alchemist, who has come up with a way to make crap out of gold.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:01 AM   #5
Purple Elf
Animated Skeleton

Purple Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i agree and hell Farimir shouldnt have taken them 2 gondor what was that about anyway
Old 12-29-2002, 12:51 PM   #6
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It's like Peter Jackson is some weird kind of alchemist, who has come up with a way to make crap out of gold.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>A weird alchemist indeed. <p>[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: The Silver-shod Muse ]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:14 AM   #7
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I could have swore Faramir in the book didn't know Aragorn was the heir to the throne.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 01:54 PM   #8
Earendil evening star
Animated Skeleton

Earendil evening star has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

What! Personally I think Pj is a genious, i wouldn't really have the movies any other way!!!<BR>AAaah! i can't believe you said that!!<BR>Ok there are some mistakes but really it is fantastic!<P>Crap out of gold!!! i'm shocked.You have got to be kidding me!!!!