The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2002, 06:21 PM   #1
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
White-Hand A Matter of Redemption

I just watched <I>The Two Towers</I> again today, and now, having more time to pay attention to details, I picked up a few things in dialogue and action that I missed the first time. Most of it was fairly minor, but there were a few things that really caught my attention.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You did not kill me, you will not kill him! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>While Gandalf was "exorcising" Théoden, he yelled this at Saruman. The way he says it gives him a sort of "Luke Skywalker" complexion:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You couldn't bring yourself to kill me before, I don't believe you'll kill me now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It seems to be used in the same context, meaning that Gandalf still believes that Saruman can be....<I>will</I> be redeemed. This also happens in the book, although only as a hope, not a serious consideration. Now, though, it seems like it could really happen (especially when you see Saruman's expression when he sees Isengard flooded around him).<P>The other character that could be redeemed (as foreshadowed by actions in <I>The Two Towers</I>) was Gríma. It's very subtle, but after he is telling Saruman the weakness of Helm's Deep and Saruman shows him the assembled Uruk-hai, he (Gríma) sheds a tear. It seems as if his background as one of the Rohirrim hasn't entirely left him, and he could be ready and willing to abandon Saruman when Gandalf and Théoden come to Isengard.<P>Maybe it's just my <I>Star Wars</I> background, searching for the Darth Vader of Middle-earth, but....<P>The possibility exists.<P>Thoughts?
Old 12-28-2002, 07:17 PM   #2
My Cat Sasha
Animated Skeleton

My Cat Sasha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to My Cat Sasha
Sting

I've never really noticed that, though I've seen the same "hope of redemption" thing with Gollum. It's like a hope that any evil can be redeemed.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:48 AM   #3
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Hmmmmm....<P>Interesting point and yeah I think that Gandalf would hold out hope that Saruman isn't completely lost...<P>Even as I say that I also believe Gandalf will also do what he has to if Saruman continues to side with Sauron - but I wonder how likely that is after seeing his face after the Ents got through with Isengard!<P>Hmmmmm....
Old 01-02-2003, 05:19 AM   #4
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Wow, Manwe, I think you were smoking Old Toady when you came up with that one! I mean, I'm a huge believer in parallels between SW and movieLOTR. How'd you like the Nazgul/Frodo scene?!?! "I'll never join you!" *flap* *flap*<P>Gollum is Darth Vader. There is good in him. I can feel it. He even felt Frodo's presence... well, sleeve, but you know what he was getting at. <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The other character that could be redeemed (as foreshadowed by actions in The Two Towers) was Gríma. It's very subtle, but after he is telling Saruman the weakness of Helm's Deep and Saruman shows him the assembled Uruk-hai, he (Gríma) sheds a tear. It seems as if his background as one of the Rohirrim hasn't entirely left him, and he could be ready and willing to abandon Saruman when Gandalf and Théoden come to Isengard. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Interesting perception. My take on that was that Grima was struck by the evil beauty of all that destructive power, and was moved to a tear of pride or happiness or something. Glad to get another perspective. Time will tell. I don't expect something as complicated as the Redemption of Wormtongue from PJ, though.