The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-19-2002, 07:11 PM   #1
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
1420! Weird Coincidence: Star Wars Fans

Ever notice the similarities between Christopher Lee's characters in LotR and SW: AotC?<P>Saruman:<BR>-Former Leader of the White Council<BR>-Fell to Sauron's power<BR>-Former trusted friend, betrays friends<BR>-Not with master, but maintains a stronghold in another location<BR>-Attacks Sauron's enemies (frees up Sauron to look for the Ring, concentrate on Gondor)<P>Count Dooku:<BR>-Former Jedi Knight<BR>-Fell to Darth Sidious's power<BR>-Former trusted fellow Knight, betrays friends<BR>-Not with master, maintains an army in another location<BR>-Distracts his master's enemies (the Jedi) while Sidious consolidates power<P>I just got both the LotR spec. ed. dvd and the Eps. II dvd. My friend suggested this to me, and I thought it was pretty cool.<P>What do you all think of it?
Old 11-20-2002, 01:33 AM   #2
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Hmmm, interesting. I'm just glad that Christopher Lee is finally getting good roles. And boy has he ever landed himself some sweet parts, being both Star Wars and LOTR.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 05:53 AM   #3
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Also he has two lines that sound very familiar. One goes something like this:<P>"We must join him Gandalf."<P>And the other goes somthing like this:<P>"You must join me Obi Wan."<P>Not exactly the same but close.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:09 AM   #4
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Now what would really be funny is if they end up dying in very similar ways.<BR>A couple of my friends didn't like the fact that he played such a similar character in movies that were released so close together. They said that it blurred his characters. My friend Dusty said he kept expecting Saruman to whip out a light sabre. I never had that problem, but I guess I can see how it could happen.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:35 AM   #5
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* bows a greeting *<P>Put me in the curmudgeon's corner along with your good friends, <B>the phantom</B>. <P>I wonder if Christopher Lee has any similar thoughts about his being typecast? Or whether in subtle ways (gestures, turn of phrase) he himself has sought to make the two characters either more similar than they ought to be ... or less so?<P>As for me, I was once accused in an X-Files forum of closely resembling a certain wizard, when at the time I happened to be portraying quite a different smoking man.
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 08:42 AM   #6
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Yeah, quite a funny coincidence, all in all. Especially the way they hold Gandalf-Wan Thegreyobi prisoner. And Gandalf gets saved by a moth, Obi-Wan gets saved by Yoda! Unfortunately, GL didn't do a very good job of ripping off Saruman. Count Dooku is terrible. Just awful. Prequels schmequels.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:23 PM   #7
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

What's wrong with Count Dooku? Anyway, I noticed that too, but it doesn't bother me in the least. Even if their lines and stories weren't so similar, we'd probably make the same connection just because Mr. Lee acts so well and is so memerable.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:58 PM   #8
Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Pile O'Bones

Kirsanne_Tolebrass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Sting

Yeah! I think it is pretty wierd. Good job noticing!
Old 12-26-2002, 03:03 PM   #9
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I noticed it in AotC where Dooku says 'well now my old friend'. he says something similar to gandalf in Isengaed before attacking him.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 03:06 PM   #10
Hawkeye
Pile O'Bones

Hawkeye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, i noticed that. He is such a memorable actor that it kind of automatically happens, but it still was noticable, especially with his similar lines, and all. heh. A couple of my friends and i were having a conversation about that once, and we wondered if he ever got those two lines mixed up while filming...that would be funny!
Old 12-26-2002, 03:07 PM   #11
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dűm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hm, does some people have too much time off? Er, well I'll be quiet, I do the same thing. I don't think C. Lee's parts blur into one another at all because he is just brilliant. If the rumours about him getting the part as Dumbledore hasn't been sqashed yet, he'll be writing cinema history (come to think about it he already has, with so many films behind him), for getting the three biggest supporting parts ever..!